New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Problem is it would muddy the distinctions between guardsman/guardswoman, giant/giantess and crewman/crewwoman.
    Then keep using them. The idea here is to reference the scene, not remove the sex indicator. If "FGA" is "Frost Giant's Ambush", you can still say "FGA giantess with braid". This system is most helpful when we have multiples of one of those descriptions, like for example if we had "Battle for Azure City" (BAC) Guardswoman vs "Orc Island Rescue" (OIR) Guardswoman.

Or, more applicable going forward, we can use these acronym titles to tell apart all the various subgroups of vampires we are now recording. We had the Godsmoot Earth Cult (GEC) vampires, now we have the Thor's Temple Defender (TTD) vampires and we may still need to deal with the Clan Chief Meeting (CCM) vampires (if Greg raises another group of mooks for that scene).

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Are the Dwarf Defenders just a catchall for the various guards of the temple, regardless of which ones?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Updated through 1102
    Belkar (+1), Blackwing (+1), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires) (+1), Elan (+1), Haley (+1), Minrah (+1), Mr. Scruffy (+1), Roy (+1), Vaarsuvius (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Curly Beard and Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Curly Blue Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Messy Green Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Straight Blue Hair (+1)

It'll take some time to add them all.
    I don't see Blue Beard and Balding Head or Red Ponytail in the first page of 1102. They're in the back in 1101, so they get tracked, but they shouldn't have a blue +1 for 1102.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Are the Dwarf Defenders just a catchall for the various guards of the temple, regardless of which ones?
    It's a catch all term for non-listed/non-distinc ones.

I don't see Blue Beard and Balding Head or Red Ponytail in the first page of 1102. They're in the back in 1101, so they get tracked, but they shouldn't have a blue +1 for 1102.
    And they don't have these.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2017-10-17 at 11:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Sorry. Guess I got a little addled sorting out vampires last week. Here's my stab at this week's returning cast, left to right, starting with panel 1, then panel 3, and finally panel 8:

1103: Haley, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Belkar, Elan, Mr. Scruffy, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair, Roy, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vaarsuvius, Blackwing, Minrah, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Brother Sandstone (as vampire), Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1103
    Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone (as Vampire), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Elan, Haley, Minrah (charmed), Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Updated through 1104
    Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone (as Vampire), Vampire Sandstone (as Vampire), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Elan, Haley, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Curly Blue Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Straight Blue Hair
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

1105: HILGYA FIREHELM!!!

also, second appearance of the vampire dwarf all the way in the back in the last page of #1101 with, shall we say, green hair and armor, and the vampire dwarf in the foreground of the first panel of #1102, with blue hair, goatee, and a skullcap.

also, Roy, Elan, Haley, Belkar, V, Blackwing, Mr. Scruffy, Minrah, Brother Sandstone (as vampire), Vampire Sandstone, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Straight Blue Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt

I don't see messy hair in there or curly hair either.

Finally, I sense we will very shorty need to start tracking the adorable Baby Thundershield.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Bugbear in the Playground

Finally, I sense we will very shorty need to start tracking the adorable Baby Thundershield.
    Doesn't "adorable Baby Thundershield" count as a name already?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1105
    Belkar (as Protected from Evil) (+1), Blackwing (+1), Brother Sandstone (as Vampire), Vampire Sandstone, Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Elan (+1), Haley (+1), Hilgya (+1), Minrah (+1), Mr. Scruffy (+1), Roy (+1), Vaarsuvius (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Black Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head (Gaseous) (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Bob Haircut, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard (Gaseous) (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt and Cape, Vampire Dwarf with Green Short Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail (Gaseous) (+1)

Hilgya's Baby, Vampire Spirit of Female Dwarf, Vampire Spirit of Male Dwarf.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

also, second appearance of the vampire dwarf all the way in the back in the last page of #1101 with, shall we say, green hair and armor, and the vampire dwarf in the foreground of the first panel of #1102, with blue hair, goatee, and a skullcap.
    Well, I noted them before as blonde and black haired. Female one is definitely blonde, but male one could go either way.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

I just noticed that in 1102, Minrah names the vampire inside the forcecage "Leggo". But we don't seem to have him listed as a character (albeit short-undead).
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2017-11-24 at 05:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I just noticed that in 1102, Minrah names the vampire inside the forcecage "Leggo". But we don't seem to have him listed as a character (albeit short-undead).
    "Leggo" is almost certainly slang for "let go." I've seen it used that way in multiple other stories.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

You often see it used in regard to waffles.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

1106:
    Baby Thundershield, Belkar Bitterleaf, Blackwing, Elan, Haley Starshine, Hilgya Firehelm, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy Greenhilt, Vaarsuvius

With Baby Thundershield's second appearance, he's now officially on the list.
    Last edited by Chronos; 2017-11-29 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Missed Blackwing the first time
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1106
    Belkar, Blackwing, Elan, Haley, Hilgya, Hilgya's Baby, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

Hilgya's Baby
    Hedging on the father, eh?

18. - Top - End - #138

The only semi-plausible alternative theory I have seen is that "Hilgya's baby" is Sabine in disguise. In that case "his" entry would be moved to the altered appearance section.

19. - Top - End - #139

I think it's more along the lines of "Hilgya's probably not going to give her baby the last name of the guy she wants to kill and hasn't seen since they slept together." Most likely, she'll name the baby with her own last name instead of Durkon's since not many single mothers name their child after the man who left them.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2017-11-30 at 07:15 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    I think it's more along the lines of "Hilgya's probably not going to give her baby the last name of the guy she wants to kill and hasn't seen since they slept together." Most likely, she'll name the baby with her own last name instead of Durkon's since not many single mothers name their child after the man who left them.
    Voldemort’s mother did, so it’s not unheard of in family literature. But yes, I agree. Hilgya does not seem as if she’s been in the mood to pay a compliment to Durkon’s memory.

It is possible, if relatively unlikely, that the baby is a Thundershield anyway because dwarven society mandates that the official surname of a baby must be that of its biological father. That seems like the type of rule that it might have - if it hadn’t been portrayed as egalitarian when it comes to gender, despite being quite collectivist.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It is possible, if relatively unlikely, that the baby is a Thundershield anyway because dwarven society mandates that the official surname of a baby must be that of its biological father. That seems like the type of rule that it might have
    Even in societies that have such rules, there has to be an exception for when the mother can't or won't reveal who the father is.

And heck, even if there isn't an exception, Hilgya doesn't strike me as the kind of person that simply bows to the rules or laws of the dwarven culture.

Circling back to the topic, Higya is currently taking responsibility for the baby, so "Hilgya's baby" is a good enough descriptor until such time as we get a more official version.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

And such time is now (at least partially):

1107:
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Elan, Haley Starshine, Hilgya Firehelm, Kudzu, Minrah, Roy Greenhilt

Are any of the characters in the last panel recognizable? I think that might be Jenny.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    And such time is now (at least partially):

1107:
    Belkar Bitterleaf, Elan, Haley Starshine, Hilgya Firehelm, Kudzu, Minrah, Roy Greenhilt

Are any of the characters in the last panel recognizable? I think that might be Jenny.
    Jenny and Hank (his back turned to us).
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1107
    Belkar, Elan, Haley, Hank, Hilgya, Jenny, Kudzu, Minrah, Roy
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Random question. In the final Dragon magazine comic, in the panel with all the characters from different Dragon strips, who is the character in the bottom left of the panel? The one under Telerie Windyarm and left of who I assume is Dixie Null?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Random question. In the final Dragon magazine comic, in the panel with all the characters from different Dragon strips, who is the character in the bottom left of the panel? The one under Telerie Windyarm and left of who I assume is Dixie Null?
    The guy in the purple hat? According to Rich's commentary, it's Fineous Fingers, a character from one of the earlier recurring Dragon strips.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    The guy in the purple hat? According to Rich's commentary, it's Fineous Fingers, a character from one of the earlier recurring Dragon strips.
    Thanks! I subscribed to Dragon for years and all the rest were obvious to me, but that strip is before my time!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    And to continue this for anyone that is curious:

Spoiler: 2017 Calendar
    Show

Belkar: 6
    Elan: 6
    Haley: 6
    Durkon: 4
    Bandana: 3
    Blackwing: 3
    MitD: 3
    Oona: 3
    Redcloak: 3
    Roy: 3
    Scruffy: 3
    Vaarsuvius: 3
    Argent: 2
    Bloodfeast: 2
    Chief Cop of CPPD: 2
    CPPD Cop with black skin: 2
    CPPD Cop with blond hair: 2
    CPPD Cop with red hair: 2
    CPPD Woman Cop: 2
    Demon-Roaches: 2
    Felix: 2
    Sir François: 2
    Greyview: 2
    Grubwiggler: 2
    Hinjo: 2
    Inkyrius: 2
    Julio: 2
    Nale: 2
    Sabine: 2
    Sigdi: 2
    Tarquin: 2
    Thog: 2
    Xykon: 2
    Yikyik: 2
    Zz'dtri: 2
    Celia: 1
    CPPD Prison Guard with black skin: 1
    "Durkon" *: 1
    Giro: 1
    Golem with grey flesh: 1
    High Priestess of Thor: 1
    Hoskin: 1
    Jirix: 1
    Kandro: 1
    Kwesi: 1
    Representative of Southern Pantheon: 1
    Shirra: 1
    the Tarrasque: 1
    Thirden: 1
    Vaarsuvius' Auburn-Haired Child: 1
    Vaarsuvius' Green-Haired Child: 1
    Veldrina: 1

Has Grubwiggler's client or the CPPD halfling appeared before?

Between StickTales, calendars, the recap and cast pages in the print books, Belkar's hat, Nale's spell, and Tarquin's flashback panels, Yikyik is like the OOTS version of Lt. Joe Carey from Star Trek: Voyager in that he has more "fake"/flashback appearances than "real"/present ones.
    Continuing my annual tradition:

Spoiler: 2018 Calendar
    Show

Elan: 8
    Haley: 8
    Belkar: 7
    Roy: 7
    Blackwing: 5
    Mr. Scruffy: 5
    V: 5
    Durkon: 4
    Celia: 3
    Daigo: 3
    Kato: 3
    Redcloak: 3
    Sabine: 3
    Xykon: 3
    Bandana: 2
    CPPD Chief: 2
    CPPD Halfling (appeared in 2017 Calendar): 2
    CPPD Rookie: 2
    CPPD Woman Cop: 2
    Fox?: 2
    Flumphs: 2
    Hinjo: 2
    Inkyrius: 2
    Malack: 2
    Sangwaan: 2
    St. George: 2
    St. George's horse: 2
    Tarquin: 2
    Thog: 2
    Yikyik: 2
    Andi: 1
    Carol: 1
    CPPD Cop with black skin: 1
    CPPD Cop with blond hair: 1
    CPPD Prison Guard with black skin: 1
    Crystal: 1
    Demon-Roaches: 1
    DGS Aide-de-camp: 1
    Felix: 1
    Geoff: 1
    Greyview: 1
    Hilgya: 1
    Ian: 1
    Jirix: 1
    Jones: 1
    Julia: 1
    Lien: 1
    MITD: 1
    Miron: 1
    Nale: 1
    Niu: 1
    O-Chul: 1
    Oracle: 1
    Oona: 1
    Right-Eye: 1
    Rodriguez: 1
    Sapphire Guardsman with Do-Ragged Clothes: 1
    Shinjo: 1
    Thanh: 1
    Therkla: 1
    Thirden: 1
    Veldrina: 1
    Zz'dtri: 1

Possibly other recognizable Sapphire Guardsmen: 1

THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1108
    Belkar, Blackwing, Durkon (as Vampire), Elan, Haley, Hilgya, Kudzu, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show