New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    I searched the post, apparenly it's listed as "Hors D'Oeuvres".
    I now have a horrible feeling, that I have asked this question before and got the same answer.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Number of Character Appearances VI - Wrecan: "I like counting things"

Maybe we should change it?
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote we change it. That was a nickname given by the ogres. But I wouldn't put that as a rule...otherwise there may be a lot of back peddling on some naming conventions...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

4. - Top - End - #184

I was not really expecting such a sympathetic attitude in response to my dotage. However it could be changed to 'Bag of Tricks Weasel aka "Hors d'oeuvre"'.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I was not really expecting such a sympathetic attitude in response to my dotage. However it could be changed to 'Bag of Tricks Weasel aka "Hors d'oeuvre"'.
    I support this. Keeps the joke, but avoids confusing future generations of readers.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

I already changed it to "Bag of Tricks Weasel." Other part seems unnecessary and it's hardly counts as a nickname.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2018-04-22 at 10:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

But the weasel didn't appear in 1116-1117, ok? At least, I didn't see him.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    But the weasel didn't appear in 1116-1117, ok? At least, I didn't see him.
    Yes, it didn't. We talked about its past appearances.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1118
    Belkar, Blackwing, CotS Usher with Long Hair (as Vampire), Durkon (as Vampire), Elan, Haley, High Priest of Hel (as Durkon), Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Priestess of Hel with Long Hair (as Usher), Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Messy Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Spirit with Red Ponytail
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1119
    Belkar, Blackwing, CotS Usher with Long Hair (as Vampire), Durkon (as Vampire), Elan, Haley, High Priest of Hel (as Durkon), Hilgya, Kudzu, Minrah, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Cap, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Spirit with Blonde Ponytail, Vampire Spirit with Blue Beard
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

So for 1120, in panel 4, Belkar is staking a vampire dwarf with red hair. However, this does not seem to be the same vampire as in panel 1, given she lacks a holy symbol. This vampire seems to be the same one from 1117 and 1119, making her third appearance here, even though I don't think we counted her last time.

Unless... wait, is she the vampire spirit with blonde ponytail?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1120
    Belkar, CotS Usher with Long Hair (as Vampire), Durkon (as Vampire), High Priest of Hel (as Durkon), Hilgya, Kudzu, Mr. Scruffy, Priestess of Hel with Long Hair (as Usher), Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Spirit with Red Ponytail
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    So for 1120, in panel 4, Belkar is staking a vampire dwarf with red hair. However, this does not seem to be the same vampire as in panel 1, given she lacks a holy symbol. This vampire seems to be the same one from 1117 and 1119, making her third appearance here, even though I don't think we counted her last time.

Unless... wait, is she the vampire spirit with blonde ponytail?
    That would be Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Ponytail.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated through 1103

Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone (as Vampire), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Elan, Haley, Minrah (charmed), Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair
    Updated through 1104

Belkar, Blackwing, Brother Sandstone (as Vampire), Vampire Sandstone (as Vampire), Dwarf Defenders (as Vampires), Elan, Haley, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Shirt and Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Curly Blue Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Bald Head, Vampire Dwarf with Green Beard and Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Green Bun, Vampire Dwarf with Green Shirt, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Dwarf with Short Green Hair, Vampire Dwarf with Straight Blue Hair
    I'm trying to verify the 10 appearances of Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Bald Head, for the purposes of the OotS death pool thread. I can't find him in #1103 or #1104, where is he in those strips? He's not the same guy as the vampire with blue beard and hat, because they both appear in #1102 third panel.

Occurrences I can find are: #1101 splash panel very back; #1102 third panel bottom left corner; #1105 first panel second from the left, and eleventh panel leftmost; #1111 second and third panel middle, with dialog; #1116 third panel second from left climbing the wall with super spider powers; #1117 sixth panel second from right, with speech, then seventh and eighth panel attacking Vaarsuvius; #1118 second panel right front; #1119 fifth panel, Belkar kills him with a stake.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-05-10 at 05:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Occurrences I can find are: #1101 splash panel very back; #1102 third panel bottom left corner; #1105 first panel second from the left, and eleventh panel leftmost; #1111 second and third panel middle, with dialog; #1116 third panel second from left climbing the wall with super spider powers; #1117 sixth panel second from right, with speech, then seventh and eighth panel attacking Vaarsuvius; #1118 second panel right front; #1119 fifth panel, Belkar kills him with a stake.
    Actually, that's Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head.

VDwBB&Bald Head is This:
    Spoiler
    Show

And this is the Balding one:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...you know, I've said this before, but even though I've always had a soft spot for nameless extras, I've had to wonder about the merits of tracking them now that nearly every single random mook in the comic has a unique design.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, that's Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head.
    Ok, that's confusing. I'm interested about the balding one, who doesn't wear a cap, his shirt and pants have different colors, and Belkar stabs him in #1119. So he doesn't appear in #1103 then. And I found the two appearances I was missing now. In #1104 ninth panel, half of him is visible on the very left.
    Updated through 1109

Belkar, Blackwing, CotS Usher with long hair (as Vampire) (on Anarchic Water), CotS Usher with sandy hair (as Vampire) (on Anarchic Water), Durkon (as Vampire) (in Sending Spell) (on Anarchic Water), Elan, Gontor (as Vampire) (on Anarchic Water), Haley, High Priest of Hel (as Durkon) (in Sending Spell) (on Anarchic Water), Hilgya, Kudzu, Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Roy, Vaarsuvius, Vampire Dwarf with Blue Beard and Balding Head (on Anarchic Water), Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard (on Anarchic Water), Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail (on Anarchic Water)
    And indeed, he's right there in #1109 eight panel bottom right corner, only so little is visible of him that I totally missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    ...you know, I've said this before, but even though I've always had a soft spot for nameless extras, I've had to wonder about the merits of tracking them now that nearly every single random mook in the comic has a unique design.
    The merit is that we don't know which one of them will become significant later, and it's easier to track everyone as they appear than to go back and check all past strips when we decide we should track someone.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2018-05-11 at 05:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1121
    Durkon, High Priest of Hel, Sigdi
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

Updated through 1121
    Durkon, High Priest of Hel, Sigdi
    ...Is that some kind of record for least characters in a page?

No, nevermind, Roy and his dad having a chat was only two. I can't imagine there's been a one-person comic, although I'm prepared to be proven wrong. (Also, the existence of this.)
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

If I remember it correctly, there was several comics with only Durkon and HPoH.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

If I remember it correctly, there was several comics with only Durkon and HPoH.
    Which by some technicality might be considered one person, since its all in his head...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    ...Is that some kind of record for least characters in a page?

No, nevermind, Roy and his dad having a chat was only two. I can't imagine there's been a one-person comic, although I'm prepared to be proven wrong. (Also, the existence of this.)
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html was only Roy, falling. Unless the animals count.

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by AutomatedTeller View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html was only Roy, falling. Unless the animals count.
    Hah! Yes, and thank you. :)
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

24. - Top - End - #204

Here's one, for starters.

And strictly speaking, 823 doesn't have any characters except mooks.
    Last edited by Yendor; 2018-05-13 at 04:12 AM.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well, if we're counting strips with only one PC, there's lots of them. So I don't think those count.

I wonder if there really is a strip with only one character in it. I thought the one where Roy is delivering a soliloquy out in Wooden Forest might count, but Durkon unfortunately runs through the second-to-last panel and ruins everything. Only time I can ever remember feeling mad at him, and now I feel bad about it.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

26. - Top - End - #206

Technically, 382 has only Haley.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A thought that occurred to me while rereading through this current fight scene: wouldn't it be a little easier to keep track of the nameless vampires if the ones with standardized clothing (the soldiers and clerics) had that added to their descriptions?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

1122, in order of appearance: Dwarf Vampire with Red Ponytail, Durkon (as Vampire), "Durkon" (as Durkon), CotS Usher with Long Hair (as vampire), Dwarf Vampire with Blue Curly Hair, Elan, Haley, Blackwing, Vaarsuvius, Hilgya, Kudzu, Dwarf Vampire with Gray Beard, Dwarf Vampire with Purple Dress, Roy, Belkar, Dwarf Vampire with Blonde Ponytail

New character(?): Dwarf Vampire Cleric who first appears in the far right flame strike panel of 1119, appears here in the second panel casting Dispel Magic, then dies on the second page.

Not shown before: the two vampires in the back getting killed by V's fireball. Pretty unclear. The one dodging I haven't seen before either.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Updated through 1122
    Belkar (charmed) (+1), Blackwing (+1), CotS Usher with Long Hair (as Vampire) (+1), Durkon (as Vampire) (+1), Elan (charmed) (+1), Haley (charmed) (+1), High Priest of Hel (as Durkon) (+1), Hilgya (charmed) (+1), Kudzu (+1), Minrah, Mr. Scruffy, Priestess of Hel with Long Hair (as Usher), Roy (with power-up) (+1), Vaarsuvius (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Ponytail (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Cap (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair (+1), Vampire Dwarf with Gray Beard, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Boots, Vampire Dwarf with Purple Dress, Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail, Vampire Spirit with Blue Curly Hair, Vampire Spirit with Red Ponytail

Changes will be added.*

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    New character(?): Dwarf Vampire Cleric who first appears in the far right flame strike panel of 1119, appears here in the second panel casting Dispel Magic, then dies on the second page.
    He first appeared in strip 1116, panel 3 and already added.

Not shown before: the two vampires in the back getting killed by V's fireball. Pretty unclear. The one dodging I haven't seen before either.
    One of them look like the same from strip 1116, panel 3 in the back.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2018-05-22 at 07:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

1123: High Priest of Hel (as Durkon), Durkon (as vampire), Elan, Haley, Vaarsuvius, Hilgya, Kudzu, Belkar, Blackwing, Roy, Vampire Dwarf with Brown Beard, CotS Usher with Long Hair, Minrah, Vampire Dwarf with Blonde Ponytail.

So the "blonde" ponytail isn't the best name for that dwarf, I think. It's red, the same color as Haley and the Vampire Dwarf with Red Ponytail. How about Red Ponytail and Cap?

Good news, I think most of the spawn are destroyed now, so there shouldn't be too many more "unique mooks" to look out for. I count only two left in the room, if the Giant cares to show them again.