A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

smile OOTS #1086 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1086 - The Discussion Thread

But if you wait for Roy you still have to fight Roy

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Roy has a key.

And he might open the door for Greg and Pals.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2017-07-27 at 04:58 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    I simultaneously love and hate Xihirli for that post.
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

How soon till the "nick of time"?
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

'It's just a ...a wall!' Lol. Priceless
    Literary Henchman of the Tarquin Fan Club
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    I respect Tarquin for his clear cut agenda

There would be no fooling around with foot rubbing while he was round

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Awww, that's a sweet memory. Also, good to get a little more information on how Durkon's memory works and a way that he can resist, even if just in a very minor way.

I'm liking these half panels used these days. I'm wondering what inspired the decision to use so many in this book.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2017-07-27 at 05:01 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

So that appears to be Durkon's grandfather next to his mom (same skintone) which likely indicates that the living grandpappy mentioned by Durkon at one point (I think OOTOPC) is his maternal one, further deepening the mystery of his paternal side. EDIT: Although the fact thay Durkon asked the bard about his dad pretty much already told us Durkon doesn't know any relative from his father's side.

And the vampire spirit is basically saying that after fully absorbing every memory, Durkon would no longer be a "discrete" consciousness. That seems to go hand in hand with the idea that Malack's ambiguity wasn't just for the sake of misleading the reader. A fully absorbed vampire probably sees a blur between its living self and undead self.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2017-07-27 at 05:06 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Durkon continues to be magnificent, I see. I really like all of this backstory, actually. And not-Gontor is really annoyed at that door, isn't he?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post
    Durkon continues to be magnificent, I see. I really like all of this backstory, actually. And not-Gontor is really annoyed at that door, isn't he?
    It's not a door. It's a wall.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am deeply enjoying The Former Gontor's (What did we name him in the last thread? Craig?) hierarchy antics. His uncalled for rage is deeply amusing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hm. I'm assuming Durkon*'s plan is to let Roy open the door? But then how will he get past the wards? One way or another, he needs to get in -- after all, his goal isn't to kill Roy but to influence the vote.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. If Team Hel is preoccupied fighting Roy, how are they going to find and dominate the elders? I wonder if vampire!Durkon is too fixated on getting revenge / making Durkon's allies suffer to do his job effectively.

I suppose that, since we don't have an exact timeline for this, it makes sense that Roy is arriving before the Council convenes, but it still seems like something that could go badly for Team Hel if they're too busy fighting the OOTS and the Council meets and votes while they're doing that.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I'm liking these half panels used these days. I'm wondering what inspired the decision to use so many in this book.
    Increased use of half-page splash panels, mostly.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

14. - Top - End - #14

"That´s definitively a use fer it". Just me, or does it seem Durkon has his own reason to show Durkula this particular memory?
    I guess as a Thor priest he visited the temple several other times. Maybe there were some new added features not shown in this scene (like extra wards)?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Also, is this implying that Durkon's soul will cease to exist once it gives up all its memories, and sort of merge into greg, or does it just mean that Durkon won't be able to interact with greg anymore?
    EDIT: Didn't see Gift Jeraff's post till after I posted mine.
    Last edited by Bob_McSurly; 2017-07-27 at 05:10 PM. Reason: New info

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    So that appears to be Durkon's grandfather next to his mom (same skintone) which likely indicates that the living grandpappy mentioned by Durkon at one point (I think OOTOPC) is his maternal one, further deepening the mystery of his paternal side. EDIT: Although the fact thay Durkon asked the bard about his dad pretty much already told us Durkon doesn't know any relative from his father's side.

And the vampire spirit is basically saying that after fully absorbing every memory, Durkon would no longer be a "discrete" consciousness. That seems to go hand in hand with the idea that Malack's ambiguity wasn't just for the sake of misleading the reader. A fully absorbed vampire probably sees a blur between its living self and undead self.
    I checked out #991 to compare, but the crayon style makes it a little difficult-- however, it does appear that Tenrin's skin is redder whereas Durkon and Sidgi's are more brown.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon123 View Post
    It's clearly a disobedient ingress.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I just noticed all the angry priests in the back trying to shush Durkon's friends and family who are cheering him. Nice touch.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Looks like Gontor is becoming a little... unhinged.

What do you make of Durkon's "Thar's definitely a use fer it" in the fifth panel? It seems of a piece with his "Thar's definitely somethin' ta look forward ta..." from 963, but I'm not connecting the dots yet.

Perhaps Durkon is misleading Greg? Maybe that isn't the same room?

He said the line in 963 in the context of Greg being unable to connect the dots between memories. Maybe this is Durkon taking advantage of that, somehow?
    Last edited by are; 2017-07-27 at 05:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Lots of things ... worth doin' ... are na painless.
    A plausible choice for Durkon's life motto.

I guess the Holy Symbol of Thor interferes with vampires. At least that's what I think is meant by "wards".

It appears Durkula's goal is to kill Roy as much, or more, as it is to interfere with the vote. Hel's chief minion is slipping out of her fingers, and she may not even know it.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I guess the Holy Symbol of Thor interferes with vampires. At least that's what I think is meant by "wards".
    I think he means the blue glyphs on the floor just inside the door. They look like the same lettering as the symbol on the runestone.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Vampire-Gontor is pretty funny. Maybe the original Gontor had some serious authority issues while alive, since the vampire's personality is based on the darkest experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_McSurly View Post
    Also, is this implying that Durkon's soul will cease to exist once it gives up all its memories, and sort of merge into greg, or does it just mean that Durkon won't be able to interact with greg anymore?
    Based on what Durkula told Durkon earlier, I thought after absorbing all the memories, Durkula would stop interacting with Durkon, and stash Durkon into some dark corner of his mind. Or maybe a light corner, since we're talking about a vampire. I don't think the soul will cease to exist, in any case, just remain trapped.

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon123 View Post
    It's a door that want's to be a wall!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's clear that not all new vampires are as smart as they were before they were made undead. Geez.

So Greg agrees that they don't need to unseal the temple door. Why was it important then? Because they expected their targets to gather in the temple and they planned to stake it out so they could pounce and Dominate everyone?
    Last edited by Basement Cat; 2017-07-27 at 05:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Or, the vampire is sufficiently convinced of his goddess' impending victory that he's referring to the imminent end of the world, at which point all current souls will be shuffled and redealt to the gods for a new one.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Or, the vampire is sufficiently convinced of his goddess' impending victory that he's referring to the imminent end of the world, at which point all current souls will be shuffled and redealt to the gods for a new one.
    Nah, because if the world is destroyed Durkon will retain his discrete consciousness, even if he becomes one of Hel's slaves.
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    "That´s definitively a use fer it". Just me, or does it seem Durkon has his own reason to show Durkula this particular memory?
    I guess as a Thor priest he visited the temple several other times. Maybe there were some new added features not shown in this scene (like extra wards)?
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that those wards were temporary ones put into place specifically for the ceremonial swearing to Thor. Durkon just bluffed the vampire.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by are View Post
    Looks like Gontor is becoming a little... unhinged.

What do you make of Durkon's "Thar's definitely a use fer it" in the fifth panel? It seems of a piece with his "Thar's definitely somethin' ta look forward ta..." from 963, but I'm not connecting the dots yet.

He said the line in 963 in the context of Greg being unable to connect the dots between memories. Maybe this is Durkon taking advantage of that, somehow?
    Yeah, I think that's entirely possible. There's no particular reason to think Durkon was ordained at the temple in Firmament, as opposed to one of the others. Durkon may not have had a memory of "the other side of that door," but when called upon for a "useful memory" responds with something that seems to meet the request for information about that temple, but is really about another one.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some nice quotes in this one.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by are View Post

The best thing I can think of is that maybe the temple sanctuary has undergone some major changes since that memory. It appears to be showing Durkon's ordination as a cleric of Thor--do we know how long ago that was? With a dwarven lifespan, the time he spent as a cleric pre-exile, wandering through human lands alone, adventuring with Roy pre-OOTs meetup, and then adventuring with the OOTS, could easily add up to decades. It's entirely plausible that the temple of Thor could have installed a Hallow or permanent Daylight spell or something else in the meantime that would be inimical to vampires. Even just a major remodeling of the temple layout could cause some confusion to the vamps as they're trying to find the elders and/or fight the OOTS.
    Last edited by Aka-chan; 2017-07-27 at 05:31 PM.
    Forum Competition Awards
    1st place, Villainous Competition XXI