New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Return From Riverside]

Adir accepts the impromptu embrace with a soft exhale of pain and a few coughs. He sways and frowns a little when she pulls away. "Went to the party. Ilpholin tried to jump my bones. Riverside blew up. I helped as much as I could..." Adir runs a hand through hair dusted with flecks of ash and gravel. "Kept Cessie safe. I saved Jezebel. I think." Adir snorts a laugh. Strangest part of the whole night. He could even feel a begrudging respect growing for the woman.

Adir sags heavy against the doorway, and the wood there groans as he looks right at Sakura. He grunts, "All in all a pretty... pretty horrible night, hon. Not feeling so good. And there was this gas," Adir swallows and rasps, "Got under my armor. Burns pretty bad. I'm-- I'm a little scared to take my armor off."

There is still that fear in his eyes. A certain wildness, fear, the dregs of adrenaline. Muddled with relief and pain.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Jezebel Pain's]

As Cessie and Jezebel walks up to the keep (after taking a cab or something, Cessie could also have summoned an elemental for fast transportation, obviously not as fast as a car though) the sorceress seems to be surprised at the fact that a woman in purple armor is standing there waiting for them.

"Miss Ithil, don't tell me you've been here waiting for me?"

"Only for about twenty minutes, miss Mithar." Ambrosia replies with a faint smile. "I did say I was going to come over this week."

Cessie blinks. "Yes, but I had no idea it would be so early. I thought you'd come back to me with an exact date and time first." And yet Cessie had accepted Jezebel's suggestion to get to the keep directly to talk to the scholar despite the sorceress not actually knowing that she would be here.

The scholar shrugs. "Seems fortune smiles on us then as you are here with who I assume is to be my 'patient'?" She turns to look at Jezebel. "Jezebel Tel'vree was it?" She offers her armor clad hand for a handshake. "Ambrosia Ithil, scholar."

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Jezebel's Pains

"I am indeed Jezebel Tel'Vree. It is a pleasure to meet you. I don't think we've had the privilege of meeting before."
    Jezebel tells her, shaking the hand thankfully. "I admit, I hadn't realized that my appointment had already been made, but it seems that today has been a rather fortuitous serious of events. Mayhaps it is best if we head on in though where we can talk in a more closed area?" Jezebel asks, taking a look around at the area around the Keep. Being a Hiver, she always felt more comfortable in an enclosed area. "Have you been told everything that's happened?" Try as she might, the woman couldn't keep the fair bit of worry from her face.

4. - Top - End - #394

Jezebel's Pains

"I've been told that your soul's been damaged, though not exactly how it was damaged." The scholar remarks as she let's Jezebel's hand go. "But mending the wound should actually be relatively simple regardless of what caused it. The one and all resource to mend such things is aether. Miss Mithar might have mentioned it to you if you've know one another for such a long time."

"Right, Ambrosia and I have done research together. Mainly concerning the demons." Cessie tells Jezebel before turning to Ambrosia. "And Jezebel and I have know one another for years now. We're very close."

The scholar nods. "Yes, I understand as much. But you are also a former spirit-entity, both factors that will influence the aether."

"About that, aether is already extremely unpredictable. Should we really jump to that solution without looking at alternatives?" Cessie remarks with a slight frown.

"You told me about your experiments, and to me it seems they've been relatively harmless. As long as its people that you know wouldn't harm you I very much doubt it would ever be a problem. But precautions are still to be taken of course." She eyes Jezebel as they go through the gate and enter the keep proper. "What do you know about aether, Jezebel? Since my idea would simply to expose you to your friends aether extract within a controlled area."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-01-12 at 08:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

Wenomir is walking up to the Mithar home, wearing his warm winter clothes and carrying a bag with practice swords. The warrior is uncharacteristically cheery. He's not glowering, frowning or even scowling. And he's accompanied by one of his apprentices, to whom he's currently explaining some things.

"...we're going to be visiting another of my students. She's Cessie Mithar's young daughter, and she really wants to be a sword girl. I'm helping her do that without breaking something or hurting someone."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

”It’s important to teach kids when they’re young. Dad used to say that all the time. Uh, how young are we talking?” Koshal says, his attempts at sounding wise already undermined. The young minotaur is wearing a fluffy winter coat with a short scabbard on his back with a hilt protruding.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

"She's six," Wenomir says. "A bit young for real training, but I teach her what I can. She's enthusiastic, needless to say. She's managed to hurt her friend in a play swordfight."
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-01-12 at 06:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

Koshal shakes his head.
    ”Okay that’s pretty little. But old enough to know footwork. So uh, what did you want to bring me for again? Show off for her?” he asks. She probably does want to see something neat. He doesn’t know if he can meet the expectations of a little kid.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

"I think it'll be exciting and educational for her to see another, older student," Wenomir explains. "Keeping her interested is a challenge in itself. And we'll do some of our usual training and sparring while we're at it."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Jezebel's Pains

The offered cure makes Jezebel pause right at the entrance to the Keep, making her blink and freeze for a moment before she waits for Cessie to open the door to allow them all in. "I know enough to be wary and understand that even a small dose of such can cause people to have plenty of issues." She admits. "Like being drunk, except on power. Are...are we sure this is a good idea? Just how much of a dose are we talking about here? Just to be clear, my past involves quite a bit of drug use. Is this something addictive? I've shaken it all, but...I can't say I wouldn't be vulnerable."

11. - Top - End - #401

Jezebel's Pains

"I'm not sure this is a good idea either." Cessie remarks, the door being opened by none other than Garn the gargoyle, who is promptly giving Jezzy the evil eye.

"It's a remarkably simple solution, and I know for a fact that it works as spirits use it to heal." Ambrosia argues even as she enters however. "And let's be clear, you shouldn't think of this as a physical drug. While you do consume it the usual way, your body wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a glass of water. Thus, there is nothing that can trigger an addiction, not the kind you think of at least."

"Let us take a seat while we discuss this." Cessie remarks as she heads for the kitchen. "Do either of you want something to drink or eat?"

"I'm fine, but thank you miss Mithar." The scholar sits down by the kitchen table folds her armored hands upon it. "But to get back to the point I was making, it has none of the side-effects of actual drugs. The only way it could be dangerous is if the person that consumes it is dangerous as it enhances their personality, both mentally and physically. The person arguably become even more themselves to a level that shouldn't be possible." She attempts to explains as Cessie is pouring herself a glass of water and making a simple sandwich with some help of her eldritch.

"From the documentation of miss Mithar's previous experiments of the aether drug, none of the subjects really did anything dangerous. Chaotic and disruptive, sure, but not anything directly harmful towards the people involved. Of course, perhaps you have personal objections towards such a treatment?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-01-12 at 08:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Jezebel's Pains

"Hey Garn. How's it going? Good? Good. Careful, if someone pats your back your face is liable to stick that way."
    She says, knowing that she'll always be glared at by the gargoyle but having grown used to it by now. "Well, if I'm going to be taking anything I suppose I'll have a glass of water." When she's asked if she has any objections, Jezebel places her elbows on the table and steeples her fingers in front of her look of concern. "I...have no objections, but I would ask that we do this somewhere safe and possibly secluded. You're asking me to take something that'll throw out all of my restraint and inhibitions. That's not something I would ever do lightly. But it is something I'm willing to try."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Path to the Keep]

"I think it'll be exciting and educational for her to see another, older student," Wenomir explains. "Keeping her interested is a challenge in itself. And we'll do some of our usual training and sparring while we're at it."
    ”Well I hope Miss Mithar doesn’t mind if we use her shower afterwards. I wouldn’t want to go around a fancy lady’s place all sweaty.” Koshal says with a grin. Uncle Krayger had warned him that lots of people might not enjoy the smell of a sweaty minotaur for long.

14. - Top - End - #404

Jezebel's Pains

Jezebel's words does not make Garn less glare-y as he seems to be unwilling to let her out of his sight even while helping Cessie to make lunch.

Speaking of the sorceress, she puts down a glass of water in front of Jezebel while giving her a concerned look. "You aren't worried that your... past might influence this somehow? Aether is not easy to predict, especially not in this concentration. It will put things you've tried to keep in the back of your mind in front and center."

Ambrosia nods as to confirm, yet still seems completely unconcerned with this fact. "That is true, but it doesn't mean that what you aren't trying to hide will go away. You will still feel the same things you do right now, and you will still care for the same people, if anything it will make those emotions stronger. So unless you're hiding resentment towards Cessie or a stranger that you've talked to for about twenty minutes, there should be no concerns as I will make sure that you at least stay within these walls. I wouldn't suggest this if I didn't though I couldn't stop you from running amok in case you had some strong spite for someone out there in the world." The scholar gestures at one of the kitchen windows. "Besides, as miss Mithar's experiments suggests, those influenced by aether tend to be more concerned about what's right in front of them rather than what's out there."

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

"I don't think that will be a problem," Wenomir says as they arrive and he knocks on the door.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Jezebel's Pains

"Oh, no. I'm actually incredibly worried."
    Jezebel outright admits, taking a sip of her water before setting it aside for the moment. "But if this is able to actually put my soul on the mend, then I think the potential justifies the risk. Once we've finished, perhaps we should o this in the lab? Or is there someone more secure that's nearby?" She asks, frowning a bit in thought. "And just how much of a dose are we looking at? Just a few seeds? An apple?"

17. - Top - End - #407

Jezebel's Pains

Ambrosia and Cessie exchange glances. "I don't actually use the apples anymore, Jezebel. I'm using a much more potent draft of pure aether which I've extracted from them. They're all sealed securely in the lab ever since I stopped going experiments with them."

"The dose does need to be potent or we'd be forced to do it all over again." Ambrosia clarifies. "Not to mention that the extract is far more reliable. But again, there is no need to be worried. I will have it all under control."

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Jezebel's Pain

"A large dose of pure aether?"
    Jezebel asks, sounding...worried. After a bit more thinking, she sighs and nods before pulling out her phone. "I'll tell Charles I'm going to be gone for at least a day and to have some clothing delivered here. Ambrosia, I know we just met but I am a bit concerned that depending on how I react to this I might try to break out. I loathe being confined and if this simply exaggerates that feeling...well, I might make a break for it once I've taken it. Regardless, I am ready now after lunch."

A text is sent and a confirmation received. Looks like that Jezebel is about as ready as possible.

19. - Top - End - #409

Jezebel's Pain

"Not a large dose." Cessie insists. "One of the many benefits with the extract is that I can take pretty exact dosages. I've been feeding it to mice so I know how much that is needed to cause the intended effect. You can't do that the same way with an apple or its seeds." Much more scientific! Surely Jezebel could see the value in that.

Garn places a plat of sandwiches in front of the ladies. "Lunch is ready." Then he gives Jezebel a customary glare.

Again, Ambrosia seems unconcerned. "Control is not always the same thing as confinement, miss Tel'vree. I was not planning to restrict you to anything but to keep you away from the city and I'm sure you would be grateful for that."

Cessie shifts her eyes to the scholar. "I would personally feel better if you kept yourself to at least the walls of the keep." She looks back at Jezebel and let's out a sigh. "But we'll see when it comes to that I guess."

But if Jezebel has no more concerns, I guess they eat their lunch (or at least Cessie does) and head for the lab!
    Jezebel will be informed about the particulars and be seated in one of the chairs of the laboratory by Ambrosia while Cessie still insists on closing and locking the door. She argues that it could be opened later once they were sure it was safe.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-01-13 at 06:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

[To the Keep]

”Well, good! I don’t have to worry about holding back for that.” Koshal says with a big grin. As if he’d ever be holding back much fighting Wenomir.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

With her clothing on the way and lunch taken care of, all Jezebel can do is steel herself for the task ahead. As the dose of Aether is measured and poured for her, she disrobes until all that is left is her bandages without their bindings. The last thing she wanted to do was ruin her clothing and it at least allows Cessie and Ambrosia to take notes of her full changes. Thankfully there was a robe ready for her once it was all said and done. "Thank you." Jezebel says when she's finally handed the vial of Aether. She frowns as she examines the vial, but when everyone is ready she drinks it all in one go before frowning some more after the vial is set back down. "Are you sure that was the right thing? That tasted just like water. This isn't one of those placebo treatm-" Her breath catches, cutting her off, and her eyes widen as she starts changing.

The changes occur quickly as Jezebel's entire being seems to ripple for a brief moment. Her skin darkens to deep royal purple, growing ever darker towards her fingertips and feet until they appear glossy black, akin to marble. The horns on her forehead sprout and flourish as they wrap around her forehead, sweep back, and form a veritable crown of black and gold adorned with small spikes. Halfway through the transformation, Jezebel grimaces and growls, leaning forward as a pair of wings burst from her back. Despite being their own appendages, each mirror-finished wing rests along the back of her arms, too small for flight. They appear more like wide ribbons of segmented armor rather than a traditional wing shape, and the left one is badly cracked in several places. Chunks of it even seem to be missing entirely.

For a brief moment, Jezebel almost looks like she's about to panic and she stands up, leaning on the lab table as a second ripple rolls through her. The panic ceases then and she closes her eyes as she takes a deep breath before giving her entire body a firm shake, as if she were shaking off water. The shake and the ripple seem to finish the transformation process, lengthening her tail and ending it in a fleshy double-hook shape, and the scaling along her shoulders and spine darkens, blackening much like her horns and forearms did before the black flakes off to reveal bright silver scales beneath. She hisses as a tarnished gold shackle forms around her throat, but the hiss turns to relief when the chain dangling from it goes to a similar shackle upon her right wrist. She gives another small shake of her body and opens her eyes to look at herself. A smile crosses her lips and she reaches up with her left hand to feel a series of gold and silver stud piercings that run a small crescent along the outside of her left eye. She gives a small enjoyable hum as she looks at her hands, flexing her fingers to make talons grow or vanish, and eventually she gives yet another sigh as she stretches her limbs and body.

"You can turn around now, darling~"
    She tells Cessie, her voice huskier and a bit...hungry. When Cessie does, she'll probably notice that as toned and athletic as Jezebel had already been, her body was even more so. Her stomach was hardened, her waist thinner and hips wider. Jezebel is almost lost in examining herself and can't help but flex one arm and then the other. "I feel...I don't know. Almost liberated in a way. It's like I shrugged off an outfit that was too small. I feel...good."

22. - Top - End - #412

Cessie's Lab

Cessie politely turns away once Jezebel is undressed.
    Ambrosia does not even blink as Jezebel strips down however and will help Jezebel with anything she needs before handing her the vial. Jezebel might note that the tome Ambrosia has been carrying around by her hip in a book holster is not floating next to her with the golden chain that attaches it to her armor hanging loosely in the air with a animated pen pressed against the pages as if ready to start writing.

The scholar simply nods as a reply to Jezebel's question and quietly starts to observe her changes as the pen starts writing like possessed, which it might just be. It jumps to another page, the book flipping through them on its own and the pen filling them with ink just as fast.
    Ambrosia occasionally shifts and moves around the changing woman as to get a better view of everything that was occurring.

Cessie on the other hand has crossed her arms over her chest and looks slightly frustrated as she simply waits for things to... stabilize.

But once its actually over and Jezebel calls her out, she seems to almost be afraid to turn around. Hesitating a moment before slowly turning to face the former(?) daemon. Her eyes widens slightly and she seems to have been left speechless for a moment. Ambrosia doesn't mind taking the word though. "I believe the others that partook in the experiment felt something similar, though I don't think any of of them used those exact words. I'm not surprised though. You seem to be able to handle this state quite well." The scholar observes. "Any other feelings you're having? What do you like to do right now for instance?"

Jezebel is now actually able to feel the aether and all colors seem to be somewhat brighter than before, especially those of Ambrosia and Cessie as well as the book and the pen. Ambrosia in particular seems more real and vibrant than the world around her.

[To the Keep]

Garn the friendly household gargoyle opens the door and regards the two in turn, Koshal getting a casual glare as the gargoyle had never seen him before. Wenomir was now considered safe however and was thus not awarded with one.
    "Who is that?" Garn asks Wenomir as he points his finger at Koshal.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-01-14 at 05:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

[To the Keep]

"This is Koshal, my student," Wenomir says to introduce the minotaur. "I wanted to introduce him to Cora, so they can train together. I think it will be educational for her. And I can vouch for his good behaviour."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

[To the Keep]

Koshal is completely unbothered by the glare. His only reaction is to continue smiling while at least making eye contact with Garn.
    ”Yup. Today I am a learning tool.” he declares proudly.

25. - Top - End - #415

[To the Keep]

Garn does not return the smile. Possibly since he rarely if ever does.
    He simply turns around, pause a moment, and then roars.

"CORA!!!"

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

[To the Keep]

thump thump thump thump

They can hear Cora long before she comes whipping around the corner, almost falling over as she stops in front of them The girl is already ready to go in her sweats and tee shirt. She clutches her training sword in both hand (just recently freed from the closet where Cessie keeps it away from her the rest of the time).

"I’m ready!" It takes her a second to realize someone new is here. "Who’re you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Return From Riverside]

Adir accepts the impromptu embrace with a soft exhale of pain and a few coughs. He sways and frowns a little when she pulls away. "Went to the party. Ilpholin tried to jump my bones. Riverside blew up. I helped as much as I could..." Adir runs a hand through hair dusted with flecks of ash and gravel. "Kept Cessie safe. I saved Jezebel. I think." Adir snorts a laugh. Strangest part of the whole night. He could even feel a begrudging respect growing for the woman.

Adir sags heavy against the doorway, and the wood there groans as he looks right at Sakura. He grunts, "All in all a pretty... pretty horrible night, hon. Not feeling so good. And there was this gas," Adir swallows and rasps, "Got under my armor. Burns pretty bad. I'm-- I'm a little scared to take my armor off."

There is still that fear in his eyes. A certain wildness, fear, the dregs of adrenaline. Muddled with relief and pain.
    [Return From Riverside]

"Okay... okay, come with me." Sakura steels herself and guides Adir into the house. She holds him around his waist, though there's little she could do to truly support him if he needed it. Hopefully it won't come to that before she gets him into the office.

Naturally a few worried faces peek around corners to look down the hallway at them. "Laela." Sakura's voice is clear and assertive. "Get a bowl of warm water and a cloth. Cern, get mommy the first aid kit from under the sink in the bathroom. Gwydion, watch your brothers and sisters in the living room. Take out the block bin and make something with them." The eldest three kids spring into action as Sakura seats Adir in the office.

"We need to get this armour off you. Tell me how." Her eyes betray her worry, but she’s not letting it distract her now.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

[To the Keep]

"This is Koshal. He's my student, like you are," Wenomir explains. "I brought him so you can train together."

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

[To the Keep]

Koshal smiles down at the tiny girl. So small!
    ”Hello Cora. I hear we’re gonna be giving you a lesson today.” Koshal shrugs off his jacket. Under it is a similar simple shirt for training.

29. - Top - End - #419

[To the Keep]

"Be more careful next time, Lady Cora." Garn chides as he gives her a neutral look. The little lady was far too eager and energetic for her own good. She would hurt herself!

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Lab

Jezebel closes her eyes for a moment, concentrating inwardly as she searches for answers and for how it all feels. "...it reminds me of daemonic energy from my world, but pure. I don't mean in a holy sense however. This is formed by wants, desires, wishes, emotions and ideas, isn't it?" She asks, reopening her eyes to look at her hand which she lifts up to her face as little sparks of energy crackle between her palm and fingertips. "It is pure as in untarnished by so many trillions of minds and souls muddying the waters. These are mine and mine alone. As for what I want to do..."

She glides forward gracefully on her feet, closing the distance between her and Cessie in just two strides, and reaches out with her right arm to pull her close...only to stop when the chain connecting the shackles of her neck and wrist pulls taut and clinks audibly. For a moment she looks confused at the chain before smiling a bit. "I see. It seems that imposing restraint upon myself is so much a part of who I am that it shows even now." Jezebel admits, sounding amused rather than annoyed. How could she be annoyed when her other arm can just reach around freely, rest around Cessie's lower back, and pull the mage close. "Thoughts? How do I look?" She asks, staring down at Cessie with a smile on her lips. Jezebel's face is still very much her own, but without blemish or mark. It was almost certainly too perfect, like a mask or of someone finally removing so many of them to bare it all.
    Last edited by UncleWolf; 2019-01-18 at 11:39 AM.