New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Curious Occurrence]

"That's... what? Lucy made a portal? How can she do that? How did the last one get made?" Cessie can hear Adir making his way down stairs. She'll definitely see him emerge from the Frescots' new home and cross the yard, barefoot and in bright shorts with a white tank top.

He stops before the portal, a few feet back. "Um," he'll say with a wave, "Hi, Lucy, baby. How'd you do this?" The stag looks at Cessie. "Can you tell if it's safe?"

[Molerat Mayhem]

The children gasp like they've just seen a wonder. "Lemme, lemme!" says Gwydion, offering the molerat another nibble-sized root as soon as that one is done. Adir just laughs. "Don't let him get any fatter, now!"

Cern decides to be the daring one for today. He stays squatting and crab walks a tiny bit closer to the molerat. "Is it okay if I touch you...?" He says very softly. He will reach out, obviously nervous and with his hand extended. What is intended as an attempt at petting the creature becomes a poke in the side, and he scuttles backwards then, heart all aflutter. This was so weird! And the little thing was so squishy!
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The molerat pauses in digging through another bit of beetroot. This two-legged thing poked him. Why? Holding the beetroot in his teeth, the molerat scurries closer to Cern, nose working intently and thin whiskers twitching.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Cessie's Forge

"I am aristocracy, Jezz, and they would probably be a breeze compared to Hestopian nobility. So believe me when I say I've dealt with far worse, and so have you. I'm saying no to any leashes and collars though. You neck isn't where your heart is. That's why I suggested a t-shirt instead, but we'll see what we do." Cessie replies as she relaxes again. "But have we decided then? Maybe its best if we call back Ambrosia now..."
    "Cessie's Forge

"I would argue that you're more of a higher class of Nobility than simple aristocracy, but that is simply my upbringing speaking. And...you are right. We've both had worse to deal with."
    She agrees to before smiling and giving her mage a loving squeeze. "Perhaps it would be best, but I think we should continue this later. In private." Jezebel points out before finally, and reluctantly, detaching herself from Cessie. "I will need just a few more moments to use up the rest of this power, but Ambrosia can watch if she wishes."

Jezebel settles down upon the floor, crossing her legs so she can close her eyes and concentrate. Some would likely call it meditation, but her mind is busy. She looks inward, feeling out the Aether that currently flows through her. There wasn't much left, just enough to do something small with or probably wait out if she decided to do so, but she probes at it and tries to get a feel for how it felt in her body, mind, and soul.

Once she does, she forms it all into a little bite-sized ball and attempts to consume it.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

[Curious Occurrence]

"Hi daddy!" Lucy waves back. "I'm helping the trees!" Then she tries to pull away from Cessie and run over to her dad. It'll be up to Cessie to hold her in place if she wants to.

[Molerat Mayhem]

The front door cracks open and an eye peeks out. There's no further incursion, however... yet!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Curious Occurrence]

Cessie will after a moment of hesitation let the girl run to her father. "She already ran through them once, so it seems safe. I believe she might have a connection to the last portal that was made, it was created by her mom shortly before she was born, so in a way they're related to one another. Spirits react to such things."

Cessie's Forge

"...we'll deal with that afterwards. But if its okay with you I'll just call her in then." Cessie returns the squeeze and slowly starts to get back up afterwards.
    "I'm not sure what you're trying to do right now, but maybe she should watch it just in case." Not letting Jezebel out of her sight even as she gets to the door, she simply waves the scholar inside as she seems to have been standing just outside waiting.

She hurries past Cessie, her tome right behind her, as she seem to do a extremely quick sketch of the scene as she walks.

"Is that concerning?"

"No, not compared to what other things she could be doing right now. I think she needs some help however..."

Just what are you attempting to accomplish, lady Tel'vree? Jezebel can suddenly hear the scholars voice echo within her mind.

6. - Top - End - #546

[Curious Occurrence]

Adir flinches a little bit as Lucy runs to him, not really trusting magic, but the tension seems to leave him as she approaches without anything unfortunate happening. "Hi, baby," he says, voice all aflutter. Geez, how did she do this? Was it something to do with how Sakura made the first gate? He looks up from his tiny daughter to her doorway. "Those are... some trees. Um..."

"Are the spirits or the trees saying anything... weird to you?" Adir asks. He glances from her to the gate. "Lemme rephrase that: what are they saying?"

[Molerat Mayhem]

Much to Adir's amusement, Cernunnos scuttles away a little further. "Augh!" says he at first, not wanting to accidentally hurt or scare the little guy.

Gwydion scuttles over now, trying to lure the little guy over with more tasty bits. "Come on..." says Gwydion, padding backwards over the floor. "I've got a special molerat house set up for you... Just gotta follow me..."

Adir, satisfied that the boys will at least give their new friend a good time, slips quietly out of the scene while they've forgotten about him. Cernunnos, meanwhile, scoots covertly up to his brother, giving the molerat several excitable glances.

"Gwydion," he whispers. "Forget the dumb house for a second."

"Huh?"

"Let's have him bite stuff. His teeth are so cool! The ones we saw down where Tuskfang lives? They're like dad's tools! All nibblin' through stuff!"

"That's dumb. You wanna watch him bite through stuff? Pssh." Gwyd gives his brother a heavily exaggerated skeptical look, a bad impression of a dumb smirk he learned from his dad.

"No, here, watch," Cern groans and grabs a toy of his - a fragile little wooden lion. He mashes a teeny bit of the molerat treats Adir bought over the toy and plunks it down in front of their new molerat.

"This is stupid," says Gwyd. "What do you wanna name him, anyways?"

Their chattering goes on.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

When the boys aren't directly addressing him, the molerat seems to prefer to explore the new place rather than sit around. When a new thing that smells of food appears, though, he wanders up to it and sniffs intently. When he confirms that it smells of food, he tries to bite it and the wood cracks in the critter's big teeth. The molerat spits the toy out and proceeds to lick the pieces clean.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

[Curious Occurrence]

Lucy holds up her arms to be picked up, in a way Adir is very familiar with. She shakes her head. "They don't talk. They just missed their friends. But now they're happy!"

9. - Top - End - #549

[Curious Occurrence]

Cessie steps closer but seems to be as guarded as Adir when it comes to this form of magic. "Have you felt anything like this before, Lucy? As in, things like these trees feelings." She looks at Adir and gestures inside the keep. "Sakura's inside with the other children by the way. Lucy just suddenly ran off when she was taking care of the others."

10. - Top - End - #550

[Curious Occurrence]

Adir scoops her up without even looking, a gesture so practiced at this point it's nearly reflexive. "I'm with your auntie, Lucy. I'd like to know how you know this stuff. Is it just... a feeling?" He imagines they won't get too many specifics out of the tyke. He smiles a little and carefully brushes a strand of flowery 'hair' from her face. Unable to add any heat or scolding to it, he adds, "And you're not supposed to run away from your mom."

"Shall we try... stepping through together?" He asks, and moves. Rather than stepping, he'll do a leap through the portal, an impressive horizontal jump that tousles Lucy's hair and will probably feel like flying for a couple seconds. He was no slouch at jumping even when he was just a deer-man. He skids to a stop and almost stumbles, blinking at the sudden vertigo-like sense of being somewhere else. "Ow."

[Molerat Mayhem]

The boys eyes light up again.

"Ooooooh," Gwydion gasps.
    "See, I told you, stupid!" says Cern. "Let's have him wreck stuff!"

They go into a rather expansive conversation about things they can wreck. The legs on Russell's dinner chair to see if they can make him react, the tiny lock on Laela's diary, more and more. If the molerat likes wandering and exploring his new space while they are babbling, now is his chance. And perhaps somebody else's chance as well...

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The molerat is indeed content to explore the area, poking his nose into places and sniffing intently, sometimes scratching the ground with the blunt claws on his hands.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

There's slight annoyance on Jezebel's face as she seems to be failing what she's attempting to do so, but she is begrudgingly willing to explain herself to Ambrosia when she's talked to psychically. I am attempting to coalesce the energy into...not quite an edible form, but enough for me to consume spiritually. It is a method I have done twice before, but Aether feels more uncooperative when it comes to such. Slippery and struggling for however easy it is to use to manipulate reality."

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

[Curious Occurrence]

Lucy slings her arm around daddy's neck. She furrows her eyebrows and puts her finger on her chin. "Um, ya sometimes. If they're... big feelings!" The little girl struggles a bit to articulate a sense no one has ever given her words for. "Mommy has lots of big feelings." The girl adds.

For the jump, Adir has to take a bit of care. The trees that make up the arch aren't the tallest around and hem comes close to catching his antlers. Lucy squeals with delight during their short flight through the air. "We did it!"

[Molerat Mayhem]

While the boys are chattering away, another pair reveal themselves. The front door opens and the other Frescot twins emerge. "Okay girls, go over to daddy and your brothers."

Laurana and Cassie's little hooves clatter on the step as they carefully walk down onto the grass. "Look it's the new pet." Cassie points across at the molerat.

"I wanna see."

"Let's go."

The two girls make a beeline toward the molerat. They stop a short ways away. "Hi hi hi." Laurana says in her 'baby voice'. It's very hushed, to not scare babies. She doesn't wanna scare the new pet.

"He has no hair." Cassie giggles.

14. - Top - End - #554

Cessie's Forge

But the aether is inside of you, since you consumed the essence, isn't it? Help me understand what you're trying to do. Ambrosia replies as she slowly approaches Jezebel.

Meanwhile, Cessie continues observing, but from a safer distance as she wasn't quite she what the former daemon was attempting to do so it probably was for the best if she wasn't there to concern or distract her.

[Curious Occurrence]

Cessie has no further questions as that's probably the most of what they could get out of Lucy. Sakura's close ties to spirits seemed to have been inherited by Lucy however, and those ties were a concern in themselves. For not though, things seemed to have been to their benefit, but spirits were unpredictable and the children could be in the danger of possession.
    She smiles at the two and gives them an applause. "You did it!"
    But she had to put research into this. For Lucy and Sakura's sake.

15. - Top - End - #555

[Curious Occurrence]

Adir laughs with his daughter and spins her about. He settles in and looks at the tyke, safe in his arm, wondering about all the possibilities of this newfound gift. "...What are mommy's 'big feelings' like? It doesn't make you uncomfortable to notice them does it?"

[Molerat Mayhem]

"Hey hey! Cassie, Laurie!" Cernunnos comes right up next to them without too much thought for being quiet or gentle with the molerat and puts his hands on his hips. "You can't play with him too! Dad says too many people an' he'll get scared!"

Gwydion seems uncertain. Maybe they could play with the rat later?

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

[Curious Occurrence]

Laela shakes her head. "Mommy loves me very much." She grins broadly.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The molerat is interrupted in his very careful examination of some shrubbery by the arrival of the two girls. He turns around and waddles over to them, big nose working quickly as he lets out a strange sound that's between a grunt and a squeak. When Cern appears and starts talking, he backs away and leans on his front legs cautiously. There's three people around now and one of them is noisy.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

It is not consumption in a sense that you would be familiar with. Yes, I currently have Aether flowing through me because I drank the elixir, but it is not a part of me no more than how one would eat food for temporary energy. I seek to forge it into a part of myself, to make a new connection as I have a connection to The Warp. In a sense, to savor the taste and feel of it so I may later attempt to collect more or call upon it in the future. Perhaps it is simply too selfish of an act however.

Despite the mental frustration, Jezebel herself looks calm and collected. She places her hands together, palms facing up, and tries to create a new vial to hold whatever Aether is left inside of her.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

"Mommy says we can play." Cassie counters. They begged and pleaded and whined and mommy let them come outside!

"I'm not scary." Laurana coos, holding her hand out to the molerat for him to sniff.

20. - Top - End - #560

Cessie's Forge

Ambrosia raise her eyebrow skeptically, showing more of a reaction that she had done during the whole time she's been here. I am familiar with that sense of consumption, my studies show that dragons consume aether like that to feed. Its just that mere humans lack the organs and spirit to do it properly. She pauses as she seem to consider what Jezebel said a bit more. I might know a way for you to do it however, but it would likely change your life forever as the essence you have in you now would be bonded to you permanently. It would be a part of you. Is that acceptable, Lady Tel'vree?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-05 at 03:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

What would the process entail? What side effects?
    Jezebel asks before a realization hits her. For a moment Ambrosia will feel confusion and caution before getting a sense that Jezebel is trying to look her over again. Ambrosia? Are you a dragon? Does Cessie know this?

22. - Top - End - #562

Cessie's Forge

Jezebel does not sense Ambrosia's presence at all. She is simply hearing her voice, though her eyes can tell that there is a higher aether presence within her than usual, like was mentioned before.

Aether is defined by two forces- The scholar starts when Jezebel suddenly comes with that second line of questioning which causes a longer pause.
    I don't know what you mean by 'dragon', your ladyship. I am a researcher of them, regardless of what cosmos they happen to be from. But that isn't important right now, is it? You don't have much time. She pauses again but this time its so short that she likely will cut Jezebel off before she can reply.

So as I was saying, aether is made up of two forces, harmony and ego. Harmony is utter altruism, only existing to please others, while ego is the exact opposite of that. That aether you consumed became akin to liquid ego the moment it came in contact with your own, but like the fruit itself its energies will only fuel it for a short time as is ego's nature. It enriches itself at the cost of others, mimicking the essence of what you call 'life'. Thus, you won't be able to maintain this boost forever unless you keep consuming. However, as I mentioned before humans are not adapt to consume aether, yet you are different, lady Tel'vree. Your very nature has been altered, making you not quite human, mirrored by your appearance. So here is my offer, I can open up your mind, your soul, to the aether. It's not something I would offer ordinarily, but your mind is already mostly open to it so in this case swinging the door wide open will actually cause little difference.

Now, this would mean that you would be even more attuned to the egos around you, meaning that you will be able to sense egos regardless if they are visible to your naked eye or not. But I take it this is an ability you're already familiar with so I will get into the more interesting effects. As my metaphor might have suggested, opening the door of your mind might cause unwanted guests, spirits, beings with egos of their own that wish to dominate yours as you are sleeping. Yet your ego is far more formidable than most humans, and would likely become even more so, that I doubt you would have much to fear. Instead, I believe you should focus on the dominating it would do in turn. The act of consumption is an act of dominance in itself, you consume the essence of another. Now, most beings do not contain the concentrated ego of what you drank but enough of them would still have a similar effect.

So what I'm saying is that you could fuel the power you have right now by simply eating. Now, all things contain a little bit of ego, even the lettuce of a salad has in a sense a mind of its own as much as the chopped off leg of a cow would. But the rich loads of it are of course in more intelligent animals that have a stronger sense of self. The key is to hunt them down and eat them yourself as humans have done for millions of years. By conquering them, you dominate their egos and make them your own. And I'm not suggesting hunting down other humans or anything like that, simply taking fruits from a tree would help you a little bit.

There is finally a bit of a pause in her exposition as she seem to consider something for a moment. Though, in your case, ordering others to prepare and bring you food would likely also work as the work they put into the food to appease you would be consumed through it. As to say, it would feed your ego.

However, as your consumption of aether would unlikely be high enough to sustain your current form you would instead be saving it up for periods of time to unleash it like you did now at moments your ego would consider most opportune. It won't be directly controllable but it would be the next best thing.

"Just what are you two doing right now?" Cessie inquires as she looks between them, they had been talking (or so she assumed) for an awfully long time...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-05-05 at 11:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563

[Molerat Mayhem]

"You are too scary! Lookit, he's scared!" says Cern. He sighs and goes to squat by the molerat, trying to regain some of his previous slower pace. "What would you guys even do with him, anyways? Baby stuff, I bet!"

"Yea, we were gonna, um..." Gwydion looks at his brother, then back to his sisters. "Wreck stuff. Uh-huh. His teeth are like... big scissors. It's cool." Honestly he'd be content lying around in a pillow fort or something and letting the molerat scurry about, but Cernunnos was the boy of action.

[A Strange Occurrence]

"Oh. That's all," says Adir, hugging Lucy close and giving her a big fat kiss on the cheek. "Well I could have told you that."

And one supposes the scene can come to a close from here, assuming that they inform Sakura about what happened. Adir might just have some questions later.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The molerat peers warily at Laurana when she reaches out with her hand, pushing his snout close. The tiny whiskers on his nose might be ticklish even if the nose itself doesn't touch her. When Cern approaches, the critter turns around to sniff at him some too. He seems content to stay put for now.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-05-06 at 04:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

Laurana giggles and tucks her hand against her chest when the molerat pulls away. Cute!

"You're a baby!" Cassie says without losing momentum.

"Big baby."

"Yeah, big baby!" The girls laugh.

26. - Top - End - #566

[Molerat Mayhem]

"I'm three whole years older than you two!" He huffs, though it's unclear if it's a deliberate 'exaggeration' or he has miscounted. "Dad calls me a little man! An' he says you have to do what I say. Babies don't know better."

Cern seems to have totally forgotten about the molerat. Gwydion tries to slip around the others, sidling to one side, looking for an opportunity to dash in and scoop up the molerat if he can.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The molerat seems more comfortable around all those people now and wanders over to Cassie to sniff her intently too. Then, however, Gwydion appears and the critter doesn't seem keen on being scooped up. He scurries off at surprising speed when the boy tried to grab him, in the direction of the house.
    Last edited by Morty; 2019-05-09 at 06:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

[Molerat Mayhem]

The two girls startle when the molerat suddenly runs and turn on Gwydion.

"You scared him!"

"See, you're scary!"

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Cessie's Forge

Jezebel listens without interruption although she files away Ambrosia's deflection about being a dragon for later. She didn't really believe her and Ambrosia could probably sense it. You are the first person to say I have a big ego and not mean it as an insult. I'm impressed. She admits before slowly rising out of her introspection at Cessie's query. She opens her eyes and looks up, offering the mage a gentle smile. "I was just about to explain in all actuality. Ambrosia has informed me that there is a way to make it so I could, in essence, act as something akin to an aetheric...not quite vampire but at least capable of taking in small portions of Aether from the food I eat and from those I lead. However Cessie, I do remember that the last time I did something like this before the battle, you asked that I tell you before doing it. More than that though, I would seek your council and opinion on the matter as well. You are more learned and educated in this topic. If you do not think it would be a good idea, than I won't do it."

30. - Top - End - #570

Cessie's Forge

"Pardon?" Cessie remarks, unsure if she had actually had heard all that correctly as she look between Jezebel and Ambrosia.
    The scholar is quick to speak up however. "Vampire is a poor way of describing it, and it's more about focusing her spiritual senses than anything else. Lady Tel'vree's mind is already open to spiritual influences. This would simply be a way of using that fact."

Cessie firmly meets the former daemons gaze. "Jezbel, I don't want you to turn yourself into some kind of monster, for any reason. People looking at you might assume the worst, but I know that you're human regardless of your appearance."

Ambrosia let's out a little sigh. "I apologize, that had not been my intention at all. But if lady Tel'vree had consumed the aether, that's what would have happened regardless. She would have gained strange powers, as was her intention. I simply wished to help grant her that."

Cessie eyes Jezebel. "What do you want, Jezz?"