New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Evening Vigil --> Down the Rabbit Hole!]

Once again, righteous rage manages to overpower very rational fear. He will come to hate the fact that love for his daughter is what fuels this terrible anger he feels, but for now it is only a tool. A weapon to turn against the creatures that dared steal his daughter. He would knock someone quite senseless just for deliberately frightening one of his kids. What will he do to things that committed a transgression as monumental as this one?

Adir knows he is a violent man. He has spent several years now trying not to be. Yet now he must consciously reckon with the fact that it is the violent man who saved his family tonight. It's a terrible, violent man who is going to scoop Cassie up and bring her home. Gods, just the thought of touching her with those hands... with his murderer's hands...

The idea of ruining something so perfectly good and pure that way is utterly revolting.

The thoughts race back and forth across his troubled mind like shadows in fog. It takes Sarget's voice to break his reverie. "...I have some idea," he affirms, but takes the branch anyways. He tucks it into his belt, staring at it with some wonder. He looks at Sarget, blue eyes flashing in the ports of his mask. To Sarget it might be like looking into another face. "Thank you."

Then he swings himself into the pool of shadow and is gone.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [New Friends, New Games, and a Basket of Brownies]

It didn't really look that much fire. It was way too bright, for one. It wasn't all flickery or coming in sheets. Not like the fire in the fireplace at all. It was more like... loops? Like a swinging jump-rope coming in waves.

The kids probably don't have much context for what a solar flare looks like. Honestly neither does Lapis. She doesn't really know the words for describing what she does, either.

"I guess so?" Lapis replies uncertainly. "Maybe just a little bit. I just needed to make the rock warm for Mister Turtle."

Well there we go.

Mystery solved.

Then she thinks about that a bit longer as she stands up, her knees all wet thanks to the marshy soil around the pond.

"But... I guess it isn't like any of hearths that we've got at Vigil. Maybe it isn't fire?"
    she wonders.

Lapis really isn't an expert on different types of fire. She just breaths it sometimes.

"Yeah it's different. But it's hot right? That's kinda like breaking fire." Laela observes. That's, like, the most important part.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Playing Around

Blanche's cheeks light up a tad at Anika's affections, nodding in agreement. "And if anyone gets into an argument about whether or not a stab actually hits or something, you can come down and decree if it did or not." She certainly remembers the good ol' "yeah it did- no it didn't" arguments from growing up.

"I'm sure she'd be happy to have another person to play with, and I doubt it's anything personal. Just, y'know, not having a thing you two enjoy playing together yet. But maybe this'll be different." They aren't too different by age, right? Surely not enough to distance the two of them too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Playing Around

"That doesn't sound too bad does it, Lady Jilli-"

"You gotta have a tournament!" Anika interrupts as she raises her hand into the air.
    "All you need is a big sheet of paper and write, like, 'Jillian's big tournament' on it. Maybe with a drawing of two knights fighting for effect. Then you write a date when it happens and put it in the Frescot house. You got a guaranteed audience right away! Then all you need to do is arrange for some duels that you can judge. Super-easy." Anika makes a gesture of brushing off her hands against one another as Cessie raises her eyebrow in the druids direction.
    [Playing Around]

Jillian looks between the two women. Anika is perhaps a bit overwhelming. "But I don't know any other kids that sword fight." She says. How're they supposed to have a tournament then?

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Yeah it's really hot," Lapis confirms. "So I guess you're right? It's pretty much breathing fire."

Breathing out really hot stuff is definitely breathing fire.

Like when it's a cold day and your breath fogs?

Children totally pretend that's breathing fire.

And if the stuff you're breathing can make other stuff catch on fire?

That's DEFINITELY breathing fire even if the thing you're breathing isn't technically fire.

"It's 'cuz I'm a dragon. Dragons breath fire," Lapis reminds Laela, just in case she forgot. "I think some dragons breath other things too but I'm not that sort."

Like poisonous gas!

Lots of dragons do that but fire is WAY cooler.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Bugbear in the Playground

Playing Around

Blanche chuckles at her partners enthusiasm, sipping from the teacup. "One thing at a time, Anika! She can worry about trying to arrange tournaments or whatever after she's figured out things with Cora first!"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #1295

Playing Around

It looks like Anika is going to come up with another suggestion when the combination of Blanche's protests and Cessie's sharp look makes her pipe down.

The sorceress turns back to her daughter and smiles calmly. "Cora might know a few if you talk to her." She points out. "You know how energetic your sister can be. I'm sure she could convince most of the Frescots to become sword fighters only so she can beat them all."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-10-23 at 02:05 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

"Cora breathes fire too. That's because her dad was a dragon. Er, a half dragon." Laela explains. "Bastion's different though. He can breathe out sand. It's weird." She grins.

[Playing Around]

Jillian does look a tad overwhelmed, but Cessie brings it down to earth. She grins. "Yeah, but that's how Cora bonked Laela on the head." She smacks her own forehead to illustrate.

7. - Top - End - #1297

"He breaths out sand?" Lapis echoes, looking pretty grossed out by that idea. She's gotten sand in her mouth before when she's in human shape and it wasn't fun at all. Not even a little bit. "Wouldn't that make his mouth gross after he does it?"

Man.

Some dragons breath out really weird things.

What's up with that, anyway?

Why can't dragons just breath out NORMAL stuff like fire?

"I got sand in my mouth before I didn't love it even a LITTLE bit."

Arguably, Lapis, most people wouldn't want fire getting in their mouth either.

...and now all this talk of putting things in her mouth is making her hungry. "Since we finished helping the turtle do you want to see if your parents finished dinner? Or did you want to play something else?"

They hadn't actually set out to help a turtle acquire a sunning rock but that's what the adventure turned into.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't think he gets sand in his mouth, though." Laela remarks after thinking about it for a moment. It's definitely a bit weird, though. Lapis won't hear any arguments there.

"I'm pretty hungry." Laela decides as soon as food is mentioned. Funny how that happens. "Get up, Lucy, we're going now."

"Aw." The younger girl complains. "Bye Mr. Turtle. Enjoy your rock." She reaches out and pats the turtle on his shells and then pushes herself up. She's pretty muddy now, actually, but she sure doesn't care.

Seeing that they're headed out, Russell is the first to head out. He wants to lead the group on the walk back, so he wastes no time.

Though there's one problem left. "You gotta get off my head, lizard." Laela scolds. She goes to poke at the lizard again.

9. - Top - End - #1299

"The next time you see him you should ask if he gets and in his mouth," Lapis suggests.

She's trying to figure out what breathing sand would even be good for.

Breathing fire is great! You can heat things up or set things on fire.

But... what's breathing SAND for?

Maybe... if you wanted to build a sand castle but you aren't at a beach?

It's a real mystery.

And then, as Laela's finger nears the lizard, he hisses loudly at her.

Man.

That lizard is just NOT moving.

She might have to get her dad to help.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Laela doesn't know what breathing sand is for either, but is it for anything? It just is. Really though she's just thinking about this dang lizard on her head. She tugs her hand away and scowls. "Okay, lizard. Be that way. You're gonna be in trouble, though." She marks after her younger siblings back toward the house. Her dad is gonna have some words for this lizard.

11. - Top - End - #1301

Playing Around

A flash of surprised recognition seems to pass over Blanche's face when Cessie mentions the Frescots, although she seems to hide it with a light blush. A brief sense of confusion and curiosity lingers in her eyes, however; are these the Frescots she's thinking of?

"Sounds like you'll just have to convince Mom to buy y'all some helmets then," the catgirl wisely advises with a smile.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

12. - Top - End - #1302

Playing Around

Cessie laughs as Jillian displays what happened but is quick to correct Blanche. "They have helmets." The firmness of her voice seems to be more directed towards some not-present children rather than the catgirl herself as Cessie is looking towards the window as she speaks.

"But Cora and Laela aren't too keen on using them are they, ladybug?" She smiles and gently strokes her daughters hair. "That's why accidents sometimes happen, but..." Her mom suddenly smiles mischievously. "I do have some knight helmets for them. If they can earn them that is. As the lady of the house I think you will be able to determine if they're true knights or not."

Anika takes another sip of invisible tea. "Ehh, she had a lot of protective gear on her last time I saw her. I think she's fine."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-11-03 at 10:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

[Playing Around]

"I think they forget." Jillian observes, extremely generously. "Knight helmets? Like real ones? Where'd you get those? But will it fit with Laela's hair?" Jillian chatters.

14. - Top - End - #1304

Playing Around

Blanche's eyebrows raise, but she doesn't seem surprised. Sure, she hadn't thought there might already be helmets that they were supposed to be wearing while play-fighting, but it isn't too shocking to hear that a few young kids didn't have the patience to throw them on. Of course, hearing that there might be an issue fitting them over someone's hair is a bit more unusual. "Wait, what kinda 'swords' have you guys been using? Wooden ones?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #1305

[Playing Around]

Very generous.

"Almost like real ones. Knight's armor is made for them so obviously it has to be the same for them and I do know someone who could make them." Cessie remarks, formulating her new plan before she turns to Blanche. "Yes, wooden swords. I would have suggested something softer but I don't think they will use anything else now besides the actual thing."

"Man, having flower hair like the Frescots must be the worst." Anika idly remarks, suddenly changing the subject as she turns to Jillian. "I mean, even horns must be a bitch to wear with hats, right little lady?"

The druid's usage of the b-word makes Cessie loudly clear her throat.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

[Playing Around]

"I don't use any swords." Jillian clarifies. "Cora's just obsessed with swords for some reason."

17. - Top - End - #1307

Playing Around

Blanche gives Anika a pointed if relatively subtle elbow to the side when she curses, trying to get her to note Cessie's reaction with a slight nod of the head to her. "Yes, my ears can get in the way for me sometimes too," she adds.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #1308

[Playing Around]

Wait, she said something bad? Anika looks between Blanche and Cessie, it taking her more than just a moment to realize that 'bitch' was apparently considered a "bad" word. Lame.
    Give the children all the words and have they decide which ones they want to use. But anyway...
    "Yeah, and imagine using one of those fancy water-toilets with a tail. I don't know how you do it, kid." Anika remarks with a gesture at Bastion before looking to Jillian. "You're lucky you got a short tail kid, the long ones must be a pain."

Cessie doesn't like the direction this conversation is going so she's going to steer it somewhere else so she turns to look at her son with a smile. "Cora have a fascination with swords for sure. Perhaps you Bastion can explain why she's so obsessed? I think you know her better than most people." He was her twin after all.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-12-13 at 08:23 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Ogre in the Playground

[Playing Around]

Jillian gives Anika a perturbed look. This isn't conversation for polite company! Not very ladylike at all.

It's a good thing her mom is there to deflect, and she's deflecting right toward Bastion. The boy looks almost surprised to be addressed. Usually his sisters are very attention stealing. "It's because Harnetta is a sword fighter. Cora's always been obsessed ever since she got her wood sword." The boy explains with a flat, unimpressed expression.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Playing Around

The catgirl blinks, just a bit surprised to learn such a deeply personal fact so casually. "Well, er, I guess that makes sense," she comments. "Just as long as it's, er, an actual interest and not some desperate search for a connection. I mean, I think weapons are pretty cool too, y'know?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #1311

Playing Around

Cessie smiles. "Her interests have to branch out at some point." A beat. "At least to other weapons." While she doesn't sigh, it sounds like it would have come with her statement. "But why don't you tell them about your favorite thing, Bastion? These two ladies seem quite curious about you children."

Anika chuckles. "My mom actually let me practice with a sword while I was younger, but then she took it away since, uh... well, Cora is probably a lot more responsible than young me. Point is, I got really good with a staff instead."

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

[Playing Around]

"Um, I like to build things." The boy offers. "I'm building a lego castle right now." He adds. Cessie of course knows about the rather extensive project her son has embarked on. It gets closed off when he's not working on it, largely because of his twin sister.

23. - Top - End - #1313

Playing Around

Blanche nods sagely. "Especially if she really wants to grow up to be a warrior. A sword can't get everything done, after all." She should know, considering she's never swung one in her life. Looking over at Bastion, she tilts her head. "Lego?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #1314

Playing Around

Anika shrugs as if Blanche had asked her the question. "I'dunno."

Cessie smiles widely at her son though. "Why don't you show them, Bastion? I think it's quite impressive, don't you agree, ladybug?" She glances at Jillian.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

[Playing Around]

"Mmhm!" Jillian nods.

Bastion smiles and leads the ay to the other side of the play room. He pushes a few things out of the way, including a large toy bucket and a chair, to reveal his creation. It's actually quite an ambitious project. It appears he's part way through making a large keep and he has the outline of outer walls. He's also pretty careful to use bricks in an appropriate colour range for the various components. "I'm still working on it. It's gonna take a long time. I'm using a book so I know what to do." The boy retrieves a large book and flips it open to a large. He turns it around so the two can see a two page spread of an overhead view of a castle.

26. - Top - End - #1316

New Baby Time

Adir falls onto he and Sakura's master bed with a groan. Being on your feet for seven or so hours and stressing about everything will do that. His arm is cinched around his newest, bestest bud... a little bundle called Finian. He's still fully dressed in his going-out clothes, but he doesn't want to get up to fix that. He glances down at Finian.

"You know, you could have been a little less trouble," he chides and boops the new boy in the nose.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

[New Baby Time]

The newborn baby, all but totally dozing off, opens his mouth in a little yawn when Adir touches his nose. He stirs a little bit and his blue eyes flutter. The boy is bald as a cucumber, which likely means he's going to grow a head of flowers before too long.

They'd already been swarmed by the other kids when they arrived home. It's a wonder they were able to get away. There's still some hubbub coming in through the open door to the bedroom, but the kids need to get ready for bed. The baby will still be there tomorrow. Sakura, meanwhile, is in their personal bathroom right now, getting ready for bed herself. She's exhausted, for obvious reasons.

It seems not all the kids are listening to the instruction to get ready for bed, though. A head pokes in from the side of the doorframe, and a cascade of flowers. "I wanna see the baby more." Lucy gives her dad big puppy dog eyes.

28. - Top - End - #1318

[New Baby Time]

"Heyyy little Finian," Adir smiles at his darling boy. Gosh, what beautiful blue eyes he has. "Sakura? I think they said his eyes might change color... or are they gonna stay like mine?"

Adir glances over at the door when Lucy appears and arches his brow. "Oh, sure, kid I guess. Climb up here with your dad."

He makes some room for Lucy. "Lucy, this is Finian -- Fin. Your little brother." Adir lifts Finian a little higher on his chest. "You wanna touch him?"

"Fin, this is Lucy. She's your big sister. She's gonna be your best friend," Adir wags one of Finians little hands at Lucy.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

[New Baby Time]

"None of the other kids had eyes anything like that, so I'm guessing they'll stay like yours." Sakura replies from the bathroom. Well, Russell has blue eyes, but they both know that Russell can't be used to predict anything about the other kids.

Meanwhile Lucy runs over to the bed, but instead of throwing herself onto it like she would normally, she carefully climbs up. She scoots over right next to Adir and tilts her head down so she can look at the baby's face. "Hi Finian." She whispers, having already been admonished earlier for being too loud. She reaches out and carefully touches the top of his head. "He's soft." The baby stirs slightly, but she's not disturbing him much.

30. - Top - End - #1320

[New Baby Time]

Adir throws an arm around Lucy. "Yeah, he's gonna be really soft for a while. That's why we gotta keep him safe." The stag leans down and kisses the top of Lucy's head. "You were soft too, once upon a time!"

"Have you seen enough? Do you approve?" The stag raises his eyebrows at Lucy.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters