New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Twofold Houses 5: Rebuilding

[Mithar Keep - Unexpected Visit]

Wenomir quirks an eyebrow. He wasn't expecting Cessie to suggest it. But if there was an accident, maybe she decided Cora needs supervision from an actual swordsman.

"It would be my pleasure. I can see that this little one has a warrior's spirit... which will need a warrior to direct properly."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cessie turns to Wenomir. "Just make sure how to teach her to be careful as well, Wenomir. I can't stop her from using a sword, but if she is going to use it, she must learn care. That's the first thing real 'sword girls' learn, isn't it?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora looks back and forth between Wenomir and her mom. Wait... "You're gonna train me?!" Cora squeals.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, Cessie. Discipline is a warrior's first lesson and I know how to rein in eager youngsters." Wenomir them looks down at Cora. "I am, Cora. I know you've wanted it for a while."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #245

Cessie crosses her arms over her chest and looks at her daughter. "This is on the condition that you don't hurt yourself or anyone else using swords, Cora. So you better focus on that discipline part."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora's excitement is a bit tempered by this comments, but she's still just barely not exploding. "Yes mommy." She agrees before turning her full attention to Wenomir. "Can we train right now?!"

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose we'd better start right away," Wenomir says, glancing at Cessie. Cora's immediate enthusiasm has to be channelled. "I remember where the forge is, so I can see about those old swords. For Cora, a stick or broom handle will do for now. I'll get her some properly-sized foam swords in the future."

8. - Top - End - #248

"She can take Garn's broom. It's made of adamtine so it will almost be like a real sword." Cessie suggests. "He should probably be in the gardens right now. Just make sure you ask nicely, he is really attached to that broom."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora tries to grab Wenomir's hand and pull him along. "The garden's this way!"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Wish us luck, Cessie," Wenomir says, before being "pulled" along by Cora. "We're going to have to ask Garn if he has any wooden brooms, though. An adamantine one would be too heavy."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-01-07 at 04:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

"Garn won't give us that broom anyway. It's his favourite!" Cora explains along the way. She leads Wenomir outside and around the side of the keep where the greenhouse can be seen. Alongside it is the garden, which isn't growing anything this time of year, of course.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir nods sagely.

"Then we can't take it from him. It'd be like asking me to give someone my sword. You just don't do that unless they really need it."

13. - Top - End - #253

Cessie waves them off with a smile. "Good luck. But remember that expedition Wenomir. We need to discuss it soon."
    As promised, Garn is sweeping the paved road that goes around the garden with his adamtine broom. But as it becomes clear that Wenomir and Cora are approaching him, he stops and looks up expectingly. "Yes?"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

"Garn Garn! We need a broom!" Cora runs over to Garn and jumps to grab onto and hang off his arm. "Not your broom, a different one."
    Last edited by Gullara; 2018-01-07 at 04:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Since Garn might be confused by why Cora is demanding a broom, Wenomir feels the need to clarify.

"Cessie agreed to let me train this little warrior-to-be in sword-fighting. So we need a broom handle or stick for her to swing around in her first lesson."

16. - Top - End - #256

'Little warrior'? Garn looks between Cora and Wenomir.

Hrm...

Garn turns around and gestures for them to follow him as he walks off towards a nearby shed. He opens it and after a few moments, he holds out a wooden broom to Cora. "Take good care of it, Lady Cora." He encourages before handing it to her.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora snatches the broom. "Thanks Garn!" She whirls around to Wenomir, clutching the broom to her chest. "Now what?"

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

"Now we'll go to the forge and see those old swords your mom mentioned. Then we need a good place to train," Wenomir says. "The courtyard will do fine. Lots of room there. He'll talk to Cessie about setting aside a room for training, later.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

"I saw them before! But mommy says I'm not allowed in there." Some nonsense about it being dangerous. Sadly she keeps it locked most of the time...

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

"Your mom is right. You shouldn't go to places where real weapons are kept without a grown-up," Wenomir says. "I'm with you know, and I know a lot about swords, so it's safe."

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know lots about swords too!" Cora claims boldly. She tugs at the hem of his shirt, as if it emphasises her point.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"If you know lots about swords, then you must know they're not just toys," Wenomir says. "You need to respect them. I'll teach you do to it."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Gardens]

"You misunderstand, no energy is actually directed. Some mages simply imagine themselves doing just that as it helps the imagination, others are imagining it as something different. Though I'm guessing we're just discussing schematics at this point." Cessie tries to argue, but then simply listens to Riss explanation. She suddenly remembered all this, Riss had talked about it at length. There were a few terms she didn't quite understand though. Had to ask about those later, but right now...

"How were you planning to argument eldritch exactly? It haven't been meshing well with the type of technology you use around here so far. It is very much something with a strong connection to the soul, no research have so far suggested that it can be influenced by sources outside of it."
    [Gardens]

Riss suspected that Cessie might be considering the term 'energy' to be some kind of primal source versus just the 'potential to enable work/change.' Regardless, she was right that semantics were not getting either of them anywhere. "Well, the idea is dependent upon how you work your craft, as I said before." Or at least heavily implied. "In order to confirm if it's truly viable, I just wanted to see how you.. Conjure, for lack of better terms. Whether that means more of those molten golems or throwing fire or whatever is up to you. Generally whatever you feel comfortable with doing normally." she said, taking a few steps back to allow Cessie room to 'perform.' "Though if you need a target for something, you can use me. just say so beforehand." she added with perhaps far less gravitas that such a suggestion might otherwise need.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

"I respect them lots, though!" Cora claims without really understanding what he means. She's quite confident when it comes to everything remotely related to swords for no reason.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir shakes his head. Clearly, he's got a lot of work ahead of him. But before he can say anything else, the two reach the forge.

"I'm going to go look for a sword now, Cora. You can look, but don't come in after me."

26. - Top - End - #266

[Gardens]

But energy is something transferred!

"There is certainly no need for anyone to be a target. Indeed, 'throwing fire' is a quite brutish technique that only requires a direction and a thought essentially. An inexperienced mage could accidentally direct eldritch wherever their emotions are directed at, so to speak. Unlike your other organs, like your hand or tongue, the 'eldritch organ', if one can call it that, is more attuned to a persons emotional state. If you want to punch someone in anger for instance, you have to go through this whole physical process of your mind telling different parts of your body to act accordingly to that desire, all which should be held in check by your higher judgement. But there is no such process between what you want and eldritch. Therefore, true mastery of it comes from not using it unless there is a need for it." Cessie attempts to explain.

"That's a good reason to why young mages often learn to link that process to your hands, or other appendages. It makes them able to keep check on their eldritch in the way you can keep your hand from hitting someone. So if they are taught that only a specific gesture enables their eldritch, they can keep it locked up. It takes a lot of conditioning of course, but its a very effective way to keep them from hurting themselves and others." She she pulls back her right sleeve and flicks her wrist. "Mine is subtle." Another magma elemental manifests itself about five meters away in the location she was gesturing at.

This one has not modifications, unlike the first one, and thus looks even more humanoid and seems to be mimicking Jillian, Cessie's daughter, general shape and form instead of Cessie's.
    "See?" The elemental then changes shape into Bastion now, Cessie's son. "I have complete control of this manifestation, from its shape to its properties. Theoretically, the heat it produces could devastate this entire garden but its not as you might notice."

Cessie then holds up her gloved hand and around it another glove, made of pure magma, manifests itself over the first glove. "I can't manifest it inside someone's body, or other aether rich materials however. It will simply manifests itself around them like this." The sorceress flexes her fingers. "And look, not nearly as rigid as actual magma should be." She observes. "While there are of course limits to how far I can manipulate magma's properties, it does have a lot of applications."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-01-12 at 10:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora moans. "But why not?" This is totally unfair!

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"Because your mum would burn the hair right off my head if I let you hurt yourself," Wenomir says, opening the forge. He spends a while rummaging among the weapons left there. Far longer than he should, since most of them aren't his speciality. But he makes a show of examining them and trying them, with some cuts and thrusts against the air, so Cora gets a good look. Eventually he picks out a Scottish claymore. "A bit heavier than I prefer, but it'll do. Let us proceed to the courtyard, my student."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Cora shifts from foot to foot, waiting impatiently at the door. He's taking so long! But finally, he comes back to her. "Okay!" She turns and immediately runs that direction.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir decides to let Cora run. No use restraining her too much. He follows her to the courtyard, slowly. Once he's there, he rests the sword against the ground and says:

"Let's begin your training. But first, you must agree to something. I'm going to train you, so I'll be your teacher. That means you have to listen to me. I had my own teacher, long ago, and I had to listen to him to become the sword-fighter I am today. Can you do it?"