New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 5

Congratulations are in order.
    How do you feel about it? And are your parents supportive of this?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    Congratulations are in order.
    How do you feel about it? And are your parents supportive of this?
    I'm happy with it, and I haven't actually told my parents yet. I'm going to wait a bit so as to keep the "but how will I manage without you" to a minimum.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Well, I have a lease move-in dec 1.

Congratulations!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

This sounds promising. Fingers crossed that everything works out!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

Confetti flies through the air with great enthusiasm.

Best of luck!!

6. - Top - End - #366

Woah, great! Good luck with everything!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post

Confetti flies through the air with great enthusiasm.

Best of luck!!
    let's hope he sticks the landing
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    let's hope he sticks the landing
    Indeed.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there a word for when you can't help but wonder if every person you see on a daily bases secretly dislikes you, and is just being polite by not showing it?

I mean, I know that isn't the case (not every person, anyway), but I still can't escape this feeling sometimes, especially at work.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Is there a word for when you can't help but wonder if every person you see on a daily bases secretly dislikes you, and is just being polite by not showing it?
    Anxiety, I suppose. Sounds like one of the symptoms of it, at least, especially when rationally you know it's not the case but instinctively you can't shake the notion. Paranoia is similar, but I think that's a little more aggressive in nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Spoiler: Unpleasant stuff
    Show
    Sometimes I feel abandoned by my friends. They make offers, don't follow through on them, and then don't explain why. I don't want to be angry because they're still good friends and I don't want to lose them entirely, but I feel really hurt. When it seems like my best friends are trying to get out of interacting with me, I feel like I should just stop annoying them with my presence. It's a really painful situation for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

12. - Top - End - #372

OldWizardGuy

Show
    Sometimes I feel abandoned by my friends. They make offers, don't follow through on them, and then don't explain why. I don't want to be angry because they're still good friends and I don't want to lose them entirely, but I feel really hurt. When it seems like my best friends are trying to get out of interacting with me, I feel like I should just stop annoying them with my presence. It's a really painful situation for me.
    Couple of questions:
    • Are they like that with everyone? Some people are just flaky. Don't take it personally.
    • Do they have something new going on in their life? A new romance, a big job, or a new child can suck away the time you have for anything else...

Beyond that... you might want to try directly asking them. Sometimes people don't realize they're hurting you, or feel it's no big deal, or are so embarrassed that they don't want to say anything. Don't be accusatory, just direct, and bring up a specific example: "Tim, I felt a bit hurt that you didn't come to my D&D party Friday. I had spent a lot of time preparing, and it made me feel like I was being stood up. I've noticed you don't come to many of the D&D sessions nowadays. Do you feel like our weekly D&D sessions are too frequent?" And then make sure to close out with an explicit request for what you want: "OK. In the future, if you can't make it to one of the play sessions, can you call me and let me know you won't be coming? That way, I won't be waiting around for you. Thanks."

Again, people who are flaky tend to stay flaky -- you can't generally change them. If they don't have a good answer to why they flaked on you, you may need to accept that "putting up with their flakiness" is the "price" of having them as friends -- nobody is perfect, and all friends have something about them that will annoy you, so sometimes you just have to weigh the value of having them as friends vs. the cost of putting up with whatever-it-is. Changing it around and seeing it as a choice you are making can really help.

13. - Top - End - #373

Show
    Ouch. I've been there and it was not a fun place to live. Hugs.

As someone else already said, talk to them about it directly and in a non-confrontational way. Then, if they're really busy or something came up or whatever (or they're flaky), there's no problem with the friendship. Just with how life's treating them, and that happens.

If they kinda brush you off and don't mind that you're upset (and I'm not saying this is at all likely), forget them and make some better friends. Seriously, I have tried to maintain friendships in the face of disinterest, and it doesn't end well.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

My wife hasn't spoken to me since Sunday morning, and yesterday my Dad got put in the Psych ward.

My sons are nice though.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps this is the cheap way out, but...well, I may have mentioned that I didn't tell them yet I signed the lease.

I think I'll tell them, over text, and "sign the lease" in the same day. Probably friday (this morning would be just too suspicious). But it wouldn't be hard to just, well, disappear for a few hours and come back with everything settled. Maybe pop up north 30min, do some shopping I want to do, pop back down and say it's done.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

16. - Top - End - #376

Go for it. When the game is rigged against you, there's no shame in taking the cheap way out. Then, metaphorically, do the cool thing where you keep walking without looking back at the explosions behind you.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-11-23 at 06:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #377

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    My wife hasn't spoken to me since Sunday morning, and yesterday my Dad got put in the Psych ward.

My sons are nice though.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Ugh, that sucks. Not much advice, but I can give you support. Hope things improve, or that you find the resilience to handle them if they don't.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Thanks for your kind words.

19. - Top - End - #379

My sons are nice though.
    That's harsh... I'm sorry for you, man, I hope things get better, at least on the couple side of things.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-11-24 at 08:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzer View Post
    That's harsh... I'm sorry for you, man, I hope things get better, at least on the couple side of things.
    Thanks.

She's speaking to me again (mostly to complain about our 17 month old son, sometimes to comment about how cute he is) yay!

My Dad's still in a "51-50 hold" until Monday, when it's planned to send him back to the hospice that decided to call the cops on him.

He really can't take care of himself anymore, but I'm thinking that he may still be happier dying amongst the familiar clutter of his own apartment (his subsidized Housing Authority rent is cheaper than a storage space, so I didn't have anything of his moved) rather than living a bit longer in a hellscape hospice that decides a 79 year-old cripple is a threat.

In some good news the Medical Examiners at work have moved to a new building, so I hopefully won't have to encounter corpses every month anymore. Unfortunately because of the inmates on the 7th floor continually stuffing the toilets and flooding the building it's pretty much just going to be inmates and deputies I encounter from now on as it's now planned to remove most everyone else from my workplace.

I'm feeling like I must have insulted a gypsy/fairy/ancient burial ground/wizard etc.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Colossus in the Playground

*Offers 2d8 hugs, and then some to anyone else who needs them*

Anything we can do to help? You're always fun to read on this forum, and I'd hate for you to be worse off than you could be.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    ....could be.
    Thanks J, much appreciated!

Other than curse lifting charms, advice on dealing with loved ones who've lost their minds would be good, also on balancing duties.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Colossus in the Playground

Other than curse lifting charms, advice on dealing with loved ones who've lost their minds would be good, also on balancing duties.
    Be understanding. Try to see things from their perspective, and it might help you understand what you should say to help calm them and help them be more reasonable.

Um...

Actually write out a schedule too. That might help.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, though-I'm not the best at time management myself, and I've been lucky to have a good family, so I lack practical experience to help you.

Best of luck!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My grandmother passed away after sliding into dementia and pain for several months. I mostly was to the sidelines on things in part because it was to ingrained to do what she asked before thinking about things. On top of that, being closer to legally deaf than not doesn't help matters. Long story short: take my suggestions with a grain of salt as I have never really been in it.

In no particular order:

1) If you are trying regular visiting times, make sure that you alternate with someone else. This gives you a break, and also more people means that changes can likely be spotted quicker with good communication. Plus, those with dementia may behave differently around different people.

2) Try not to lose contact with other social groups you have because of having to help family with this. Unless your work is freaking paradise, those connections are what are going to keep you sane through all of this and what ever comes after.

3) Find at least 1 good joke every day. Laughter is always a good start for looking for positive perspectives.

"This too shall pass" probably summarizes my tjoughts nicely, bit that sounds a bit arrogant in my position. Doesn't make the proveb itself wrong.

Anyways, the best of luck to you and yours.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Thanks Mith

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Thanks Mith
    No problem.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps this is the cheap way out, but...well, I may have mentioned that I didn't tell them yet I signed the lease.

I think I'll tell them, over text, and "sign the lease" in the same day. Probably friday (this morning would be just too suspicious). But it wouldn't be hard to just, well, disappear for a few hours and come back with everything settled. Maybe pop up north 30min, do some shopping I want to do, pop back down and say it's done.
    The mere fact that you feel the need to sneak away in order to sign the lease, and then tell your family about it from a safe distance via text, is heartbreaking, and it speaks volumes about the gravity of the situation. I sincerely hope that the escape (because it's increasingly clear that that's what you're doing) goes well, and that the quality of your life improves once you're safely away. Best wishes.

Each situation is different, so no one's advice can be perfect here. That said, I've seen two grandmothers waste away with some combination of dementia and Alzheimer's, and also had an up-close-and-personal view as my at-the-time girlfriend's dad succumbed to CJD (the human version of mad cow disease), so I feel that I can add at least a tiny bit to the discussion.

First, don't forget to take care of yourself. It's easy to let caring for your loved one become an all-consuming abyss that takes up your entire life until it's finally over. Try not to let that happen to you, and remember that there are limits to what you can do for them. Try to hold on to time for necessary relaxation, socializing, etc. so that you don't wear yourself out on the Sisyphean task of trying to make them happy and comfortable. Do what you can, but recognize your limits and draw a line if you have to.

I see where you're coming from about the comforts of home vs. going back to the awful hospice. If you're confident that the hospice was wrong about your dad being a danger to others, then that sounds like a reasonable decision. Might not hurt to get a second opinion from someone else who knows him though, or at least consider whether he's likely to have access to anyone to whom he could be a danger.

I hope that whatever the problem was between you and your wife, that it's okay or at least on the mend.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Bugbear in the Playground

This might be a weird question, but how do I start talking with my therapist about actually serious stuff? I'm so used to downplaying my struggles so people don't think I'm completely crazy that I have a hard time talking about anything serious with my therapist which is obviously counterproductive to therapy. I trust her, so it's not just a matter of needing more time to open up to her, it's that I would feel weird to just suddenly drop my "high functioning" facade, if that makes sense? (I have severe social anxiety, so I'm second-guessing literally everything I say and worry a lot about appearing weird or saying something inappropriate.) I'd also like to start talking about trauma with her - she knows that Something Happened when I was a kid, but nothing more - but again, I'd feel weird to just start talking about that after barely mentioning it for a year. So, any advise? (That is not just "just do it" 'cause with my anxiety that's basically impossible.)
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    This might be a weird question, but how do I start talking with my therapist about actually serious stuff? I'm so used to downplaying my struggles so people don't think I'm completely crazy that I have a hard time talking about anything serious with my therapist which is obviously counterproductive to therapy. I trust her, so it's not just a matter of needing more time to open up to her, it's that I would feel weird to just suddenly drop my "high functioning" facade, if that makes sense? (I have severe social anxiety, so I'm second-guessing literally everything I say and worry a lot about appearing weird or saying something inappropriate.) I'd also like to start talking about trauma with her - she knows that Something Happened when I was a kid, but nothing more - but again, I'd feel weird to just start talking about that after barely mentioning it for a year. So, any advise? (That is not just "just do it" 'cause with my anxiety that's basically impossible.)
    Having had the fortune not to need therapy, I might be off in the wrong direction here, but could you write a letter that holds some details as a starting point? This gives a starting point of you structuring a discussion with writing the letter, you can get details across, and if you write it out on paper, you can burn/destroy the document completely if you want.

This might not be feasible at all, but it is something to consider.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycunadari View Post
    I don't think I have any helpful advice, just following because I'm trying to start therapy again soon for some repressed trauma I never dealt with and I do the exact same thing when I'm supposed to open up about stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Having had the fortune not to need therapy, I might be off in the wrong direction here, but could you write a letter that holds some details as a starting point? This gives a starting point of you structuring a discussion with writing the letter, you can get details across, and if you write it out on paper, you can burn/destroy the document completely if you want.

This might not be feasible at all, but it is something to consider.
    That could be a good idea. The rare occasions when I open up to a close friend about something are usually via text message. (Turns out if a message is too long whatsapp will shorten it with a "read more" link, who knew.) I do find writing something out marginally easier than trying to work up the nerve to say something while the other person is looking at you expectantly and then you start worrying that they're going to think you're crazy or something and you panic and change the subject.

I don't think I could handle physically presenting a letter to a therapist and then sitting there waiting while they read it, though. Maybe ask if you could email them something the day before your next session?
    Jude P.