New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Racial Skill Points

I was wondering about Racial Skills (example: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnoll.htm )

Say I had a 1st level gnoll rogue. Do I get the racial skill points instead of the rogue skill points?
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Racial Skill Points

A Gnoll Rogue 1 has its two racial hit dice and a rogue level. You get 5 times (2 + Int) skill points for the racial hit dice using the racial class skills (conveniently listed as Listen and Spot), and 8 + Int skill points for your rogue level using the rogue class skills.

A racial hit die counts as your first level, so you get four times the usual amount of skill points for that one. That's why you get 5 times (2 + Int) for racial skills, instead of 2 times (2 + Int).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #3

OK, thanks Jasdoif.
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

4. - Top - End - #4

For what it's worth, I usually let people replace Racial HD with NPC classes... so if you're a 1st level gnoll rogue, you might instead have 2 levels of Warrior, or Expert, or even Adept behind you, instead of racial HD.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Just as a note, sometimes the writers of the MMs/SRD miscalculate the skill points for the creatures. It's a minor glitch but when you're converting one of them for a PC, every skill point can help.

For example, the Worg is missing a couple of points in the standard write-up in the MM and SRD.
    Fhaolan by me! Raga avatar by Mephibosheth!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    For what it's worth, I usually let people replace Racial HD with NPC classes... so if you're a 1st level gnoll rogue, you might instead have 2 levels of Warrior, or Expert, or even Adept behind you, instead of racial HD.
    Wouldn't that make them more powerful?

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaolan View Post
    Just as a note, sometimes the writers of the MMs/SRD miscalculate the skill points for the creatures. It's a minor glitch but when you're converting one of them for a PC, every skill point can help.

For example, the Worg is missing a couple of points in the standard write-up in the MM and SRD.
    Interesting. You think they would've done something about it by now. Although, what can they do?

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    I think this is a good idea (since it doesn't screw you for skills as much), but I wouldn't allow Adept as a choice, as caster levels might out balance it.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    Honestly, it depends on what racial type you're replacing. Humanoid and Animal are relatively weak types; Dragon and Outsider, conversely, are very strong. All of them are roughly analogous to NPC classes, because their major drawbacks are a lack of class features.
    Last edited by Krellen; 2007-08-09 at 12:11 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Conners View Post
    What it winds up doing is giving them more skills, IF they take the option (as pointed out, a dragon or outsider would be stupid to take this; something with humanoid or monstrous humanoid levels wouldn't be that bad off). It generally doesn't do much more than give them additional class skills, or the option to drop their HD to drastically increase their skills (i.e. trade warrior-equivalent for expert-equivalent).

Levels of Adept (or my arcane variant, the Hedge Wizard) are less of an issue than you would think; while they're useful, they don't stack with other spellcasting levels, so it's just an added feature to the character, which generally leaves them weaker, physically. At worst, if it you have a lot of Racial HD, it allows them to qualify for PrCs soon after their creation, but that's fairly minor (since they're already eating up chunks of levels with LA and sub-par classes like Adept).
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM