Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Quote Originally Posted by Zancloufer View Post
    It's stat boosts are not terrible and outsider RHD are solid. It would make for decent advancement into a skill monkey or a warrior type. Also a Free Unicorn 1/day is probably not going to go out of style for a long while. Neutralize poison and Magic Circle vs Evil don't go obsolete for the most part.
    But I could get dramatically better mods with only slightly worse HD with anthropomorphic ape and have fewer HD.

Also they do breath air. Aquatic sub-type says it does not breath air unless it is also amphibious (special quality), but the Water sub-type is called out as breathing both water and air. Though it is interesting that the Aquatic sub-type if amphibious is essentially the same as the Water sub-type except the Water sub-type is "Usually used for elementals and outsiders".
    Wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by water subtype
    This subtype usually is used for elementals and outsiders with a connection to the Elemental Plane of Water. Creatures with the water subtype always have swim speeds and can move in water without making Swim checks. A water creature can breathe underwater and usually can breathe air as well.
    Emphasis mine. We have no indication of when "usually" is fulfilled so ruling that the triton cannot breath air is totally reasonable and supported by the rules and is a huge problem for most campaigns.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Emphasis mine. We have no indication of when "usually" is fulfilled so ruling that the triton cannot breath air is totally reasonable and supported by the rules and is a huge problem for most campaigns.
    "Usually" means commonly, generally, or most of the time.

In this case, it seems like air breathing is expected when not otherwise indicated.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Treant
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thats assuming its not humanoid. It might be a little iffy, but i honestly think a treant is more humanoid than not.
    See, I would have thought the opposite. I keep trying to imagine a treant purchasing a chain shirt made for a cloud giant, then trying to pull the darn thing on over its "head." Humanoid armors are also designed to cover vital areas on the humanoid body, and the plant type by definition lacks vital areas, so it seems the armorsmith would need to use an entirely different design scheme for making effective treant armor. There just seem to be enough special considerations that I would strongly advocate treating treants (and most other plant creatures) as nonhumanoid for armor purposes (not that it makes a major difference: the cost of resizing most armors is pretty negligible for an ECL-7 character).

-----

Triton
    We have no indication of when "usually" is fulfilled so ruling that the triton cannot breath air is totally reasonable and supported by the rules and is a huge problem for most campaigns.
    As clarification, the Water subtype says they all breathe water and they "usually" can breathe air too. I think that means, in the absence of a specific note, you assume that they can breathe air. So, tritons can breathe air.

Though it is interesting that the Aquatic sub-type if amphibious is essentially the same as the Water sub-type except the Water sub-type is "Usually used for elementals and outsiders".
    There are niche differences that distinguish them further, though. Several items and abilities can specifically target creatures with elemental subtypes. So, a cleric with the Water Domain can rebuke a triton, but not a merfolk. And, an Ignan weapon deals extra damage to a triton, but not to a merfolk.
    Last edited by Blue Jay; 2017-09-25 at 02:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty sure if you put it in neutral and got out and pushed it the movement speed would exceed 5ft/round.
    Only if you are in it's natural habitat of fairly flat asphalt or cement surfaced ground. Elsewhere it takes a noticeable movement penalty when not running the motor.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    "Usually" means commonly, generally, or most of the time.

In this case, it seems like air breathing is expected when not otherwise indicated.
    Can we establish what determines between lacking and possessing it? The rules only state there are exceptions and does not provide any means of determining what is and is not an exception.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Can we establish what determines between lacking and possessing it? The rules only state there are exceptions and does not provide any means of determining what is and is not an exception.
    If the text tells you that there is an exception, then there is an exception.

In the absence of an exception, there is not an exception.

For example: Black Dragons have the Water subtype. Black Dragons have special text saying that they can breathe underwater indefinitely, and can use their breath weapons underwater, etc.

Can a Black Dragon breathe air? There's no text saying either way -- so the usual default condition is used, and thus yes, Black Dragons can breathe air.

Just like Tritons.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Troglodyte

Apologies for the late post, the VC reveal had me busy for a bit. Sadly I have only these reeking cave-lizards to make up for it.

Conveniently, the stats for PC troglodytes are already listed in their entry. Inconveniently, they have two horrible humanoid HD and not too much in return for it. I guess Stench is an okay debuff for something that doesn't take actions, +6 natural armor is always nice early in the game, and Multiattack synergizes well with the claws and bite they get.

I think a -0 rating can barely be avoided by troglodytes having just enough unique features to maybe justify picking them. At the very least, they can be turned into usable characters. +0 for now.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

+0 seems right. The stat mods are generally pretty solid, the damage on their weapons suck but they have them (alongside multiattack) which is a start, stench... exists, the NA is nice early game, and an extra 30 feet on the standard dark vision is nice super nice when it matters.

Reptilian as a subtype gives access to weird but not too terrible PRC (unless your game is very aquatic based). If I had Serpent Kingdoms I would check to see if they had cool for reptilians.

9. - Top - End - #459

A weak +0 seems reasonable here.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

I'm going to agree with LA +0: -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence; +6 natural AC; 2 claws and a bite; Stench; Darkvision 90 ft; Multiattack as a bonus feat; two of the weakest RHD in the dame; extremely limited list of skills for RHD, and some modest bonuses to Hide.

There are far less painful ways to get +4 Con, decent AC and natural attacks. Stench is "OK", but only produces the Sickened condition, not the far more desirable Nauseated. It also doesn't discriminate between enemies and allies.

If you reduced it to 1RHD (which you could swap out for your first class level), I could see it being LA +1.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Colossus in the Playground

Remember that a 3rd level or higher wizard can get the useful parts of a trog (claw/claw/bite and NA) for 10 minutes per level with alter self. Poor troggies only squeeze by to +0 because two RHD isn't enough to make them unplayable, merely a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

LA +0 seems fine.

Stench is a large area and not ally-friendly but if you can find allies who don't care (i.e. Warforged / Necropolitans / Druids with Strong Stomach from that ACF) then you can use it as a stacking debuff aura, much like a Binder with Focalor.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    LA +0 seems fine.

Stench is a large area and not ally-friendly but if you can find allies who don't care (i.e. Warforged / Necropolitans / Druids with Strong Stomach from that ACF) then you can use it as a stacking debuff aura, much like a Binder with Focalor.
    Even if your allies didn't build to accommodate you, they can get immune by just being exposed to it until they succeed on their save every 24 hours. It's not going to take more than two minutes of additional morning preparation, tops.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-09-30 at 03:07 PM.
    Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Even if your allies didn't build to accommodate you, they can get immune by just being exposed to it until they succeed on their save every 24 hours. It's not going to take more than two minutes of additional morning preparation, tops.
    You don't control when you use it though. Your allies would need to successfully scare or anger you.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

You don't control when you use it though. Your allies would need to successfully scare or anger you.
    The One and Only time a prankster or Kender would Benefit a party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh. Just have a bard or barbarian with a good intimidate check.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

I can just see every morning around the campfire...someone sneaks up on the Troglodyte...
    "Boo!"
    *swears in Draconic* "Dammit Garry, you're going to give me a heart attack one of these days!"

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I can just see every morning around the campfire...someone sneaks up on the Troglodyte...
    "Boo!"
    *swears in Draconic* "Dammit Garry, you're going to give me a heart attack one of these days!"
    oh sorry bob, just wanted to get this out of the way for today, you know what I mean. Also if I give you heart attack... how much of your stuff do I get?
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Troll

Old joke is old, I know. Actual picture found here.

Trolls (or as I like to call them 'the simplest monster that will not die from stabbing alone' have 6 giant RHD, but they partially make up for it with Large size and some nice physical ability scores. They can also use weapons and armor, which sadly means they must give up their claws and Rend. Mental stats aren't great either, but let's face it: nobody becomes a troll to be good at spellcasting.

Most importantly, however, is Regeneration, which is undoubtedly a very strong ability. While it doesn't render trolls quite unkillable, it will do wonders for their survivability and means that some (mostly unintelligent and unknowledgeable) foes won't be able to kill you at all.

The mix of RHD and good traits leads me to assign a +0 here.

Scrag

It's a viable alternative in aquatic campaigns, where a swim speed and ability to breathe water will come in handy and your regeneration restriction doesn't apply that often. +0 here as well.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2019-08-04 at 06:02 AM.

Extended signature!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Not only do trolls have bad mental stats, it's arguable that they are the worst out of the 'sentient humanoid creature' category. -4 Int -2 Wis -4 Cha. I think the Red Slaad is the only one that's arguably worse (in their category) since it trades its penalties in Wis and Cha.

Then again, since we've been covering straight-up animals, my mind has been opened to far broader horizons of stupidity. No skills, no Wills, no... something else pithy that fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This thread, Questions that can't be answered... Answered by RAW by No brains, is Epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    That is so stupid it's hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    ...I've clearly been playing D&D for too long, because that made a demented kind of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fine with LA +0
    6 hd may hurt a lot; but the stat buffs are solid, and make for a good beatstick build. regen is handy too, especially as there's a number of individual monster who won't be well-equipped to bypass it.

on scrag: they aren't marked as having amphibious, onyl aquatic, so they can't breathe air. I'm not that familiar with aquatic campaigns, but from what I've heard, truly full underwater campaigns are rare; usually it's more of a sea-heavy campaign, wherein being unable to breathe air is a real problem. If the campaign is entirely underwater a scrag is fine, but that's a rathe rspecial circumstance.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

22. - Top - End - #472
    Colossus in the Playground

I think +0 is a little charitable. Regeneration 5 is not that much; the only thing you really get is the ability to get up after a TPK, but that shouldn't happen often enough to count. Maybe a Crusader troll could try to draw enemy fire, safe in the knowledge that he won't die probably. Fire and acid are common enough that any real, human DM will have plenty of options to put pressure on you whenever he wants, or just burn/drown you once you're down.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

• Large giant with reach (Giant = full martial weapon proficiency)
    • +5 natural AC (good but not great)
    • 3 decent natural attacks (plus Rend): not too shabby
    • Darkvision 90 ft, scent, low light vision: again, not too shabby (especially Scent)
    • +12 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +12 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma: net +18. The mental stat hits hurt, but aren't insurmountable
    • Regeneration: this is a STRONG ability. Yes, you can get a weak version with some cheesy Dragon feats with Greyhawk fluff attached, but it doesn't diminish the usefulness of regeneration. Anyone who undersells it is likely playing in a very high-op game. At most tables I've been at, this is a very strong ability for a PC.
    • 6 RHD with medium BAB, 1 good save, 2 skill points/level (and a very small racial skill list)

I'm flying in the face of the other ratings, and putting this one down as a strong LA +1.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Regen and +12 Str / +12 con is a pretty good package. Free marital weapons is icing.

If this were a 6-level Prestige Class, people would line up to get in.

Scent is great, especially if you take Survival ranks and Track, but even without those it's a free constant detect ambush effect which hinders invisible assassins.

I think a strong case could be made for LA +2, but conservatively I'll go with LA +1.

25. - Top - End - #475

MonkGuy

I think troll should be +1. It seems like a lot of people are putting down Regen, but I think it is very useful for a martial character in particular. The troll has great stats for a martial and is an easy pick for someone who wants to smash faces as much as possible. I think it would overshadow other +0 martials if given that rating. At +1 it is still worth taking.
    3.5 Cast - A GitP member made, third edition podcast
    D&D 3.5 Discord Chat, Come one come all
    The Master Specialist Handbook
    Truly Complete List of 3.5e Base Classes
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    DMG 3.5e page 41:
    "If a player behaves in a way you don't want them to behave, talk to them about it. If they continue, stop playing with them. "
    By RAW, you have to stop playing with the guy.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Orc in the Playground

I would say +2, but no chance of that ever passing, so voting for +1 as well.

32pt buy means you can start with STR 28/DEX 14/CON 28/INT 8/WIS 8/CHA 8.

Far, far from being dumb as rock. In fact, about the same of most non-elite array people and other strong meleers.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

I'm stuck between +0 and +1. This guy is flat out better than a Barbarian on most things (pounce, but you can spare a dip.) Your skills are abyssal. You're a big, meaty warrior who never runs out of power. You hit things. There's no tricks here. Grab fire immunity from that ritual and you'll be spared a lot of pain.

But ultimately, you're not going to contribute much beyond beat-stick, which granted you can probably provide non-stop. In a party where other characters are also mostly reliant on infinite use abilities, such as Warlocks or Succubi, or campaigns where you don't have the luxury of at will down time, you're probably low +1. But I just don't think that's normal, so I'll suggest +0. Scent+Regen+6 STR/CON bonus is probably worth it
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Fire is the most common energy type, and acid isn't all that super-uncommon (especially if you get swallowed, but at Large size that's not going to happen very often), but you're still going to be unkillable by most of the MM.

I suppose worst case scenario in most cases is something manages to nonlethal you down to NL>HP and then has an infinite smörgåsbord of meat to eat their heart's content. And then they run out of stomach space and wander away and you recover and you get up.

Diehard is pretty specific that it only applies between -1 and -9 real hp. Is there some equivalent that lets you stay up if NL>HP? If so, every troll should take it, and be completely untakedownable by most foes.

Anyhow: amazing ability scores (for a beatstick who's just gonna dump all their mentals anyway, this is a great min/max choice), Large size and reach, decent natural armor, darkvision (30' beyond the usual) and Scent are all decent. I'd call that package a level 4-5 equivalent on its own. Add that Regeneration, which would be at least like a 2-3 on its own, and you're looking at something that (in my estimation) should be somewhere in the ECL6-8 vicinity.

Mark me down for a strong +1.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm voting for +0, myself. Just because you're a beatstick, that doesn't mean you want to dump intelligence and wisdom. You'll need skill points to do anything out of battle, and you'll need will saves if you want to keep your character. And regeneration is nice, but it doesn't do much in battle. It just means that you don't need to be healed after the battle is over. At best, it saves party resources. Finally, giant HD are pretty bad. Trolls get a few nifty things, yes, but they are adequately balanced by the detriments.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by White Blade View Post
    I'm stuck between +0 and +1. This guy is flat out better than a Barbarian on most things (pounce, but you can spare a dip.) Your skills are abyssal. You're a big, meaty warrior who never runs out of power. You hit things. There's no tricks here. Grab fire immunity from that ritual and you'll be spared a lot of pain.

But ultimately, you're not going to contribute much beyond beat-stick, which granted you can probably provide non-stop. In a party where other characters are also mostly reliant on infinite use abilities, such as Warlocks or Succubi, or campaigns where you don't have the luxury of at will down time, you're probably low +1. But I just don't think that's normal, so I'll suggest +0. Scent+Regen+6 STR/CON bonus is probably worth it
    ...How would the rest of the party being reliant on endless use abilities make Trolls more useful? They're at their most useful as a beatstick when your party's healing options are all limited-use, just like how it works with Crusaders. When the rest of the party has resource limits, the Troll having functionally endless health outside of two energy types, and immunity to two energy types is a cheaper than the pile of other defences against HP damage the conventional beatstick needs, becomes a major advantage.