A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

annoyed OOTS #1087 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1087 - The Discussion Thread

Yikes. Awkward.

Interesting to note that the Exarch is being influenced by his "host," too. Gives me hope for Durkon's agency.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2017-07-31 at 09:03 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

What happened to the half-strip at 1086? I was expecting an extra half-strip at the top of 1087...

Book bonus comic?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. Last time we had a "Followers Follow", things didn't turn out so well for the follower.

Thanks, Giant!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble View Post
    What happened to the half-strip at 1086? I was expecting an extra half-strip at the top of 1087...

Book bonus comic?
    That half-page will probably be used for author commentary, if he doesn't write a bonus half-comic to fill it.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Yikes. Awkward.

Interesting to note that the Exarch is being influenced by his "host," too. Gives me hope for Durkon's agency.
    I don't think he means his host is actively influencing him right now, but rather that the aspects of his personality that were twisted to create the vampire spirit make him a bit of a basket case. Could be wrong, though.
    ungelic is us

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

Interesting to get a new look at some of the dynamic between the vampires. Exarch seems happy to follow, but maybe the others are less so?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Interesting to see such introspection from the vampires.
    Then again "it's my host's fault, not mine!" seems like a convenient excuse...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I don't think he means his host is actively influencing him right now, but rather that the aspects of his personality that were twisted to create the vampire spirit make him a bit of a basket case. Could be wrong, though.
    Ah, but I think it suggests the opposite. Darkon just used the same phrasing and philosophy as someone in the memory. He is being actively influenced by what Durkon dredges up.

Also, I suspect Durkon is trying to use memories of bardic music to buff himself.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Awesome Comic!

11. - Top - End - #11

BarbarianGuy

And Durkon, once again, proves he's a force to be reckoned with! And the fact that the other dwarf (and hopefully the other people who have been vamped out) are fighting against their captors as well, sounds like Team Hel is having a HEL of a time getting things done! (I can hear the groans now LOL)
    Last edited by IDrankWHAT; 2017-07-31 at 09:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Imp

I thought the exarch was the leader of his sect, so how come the ex-exarch is now such a follower, seemingly beneath the two random vampires…

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Gontor's attitude doesn't seem quite as childlike as a thrall. Could he be free-willed? (With air quotes around "free" given that his host appears to be exerting some influence.)

I also wonder - did Malack's host color his outlook too? Or are dwarven spirits perhaps singularly stubborn?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks to me like Durkula's plan has come apart and he is now improvising - about as well as that trainee bard.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Interesting to see how other vampires regard their trapped souls.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Huh. Last time we had a "Followers Follow", things didn't turn out so well for the follower.

Thanks, Giant!
    Huh. That's unintentional. I'll think of a new name for this comic, I don't want people thinking it's an intentional callback
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Just caught up two weeks ago, I honestly look forward to this so much.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

18. - Top - End - #18

OK, comic renamed with pretty much the same theme from the other angle.
    Rich Burlew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Well, mythological vampires are supposed to be obsessive compulsive. One of the ways you can deal with a vampire is to throw rice/other small object on the ground. Their obsessive natures would compel them to pick up every single object one at a time.

20. - Top - End - #20

BarbarianGuy

Huh. That's unintentional. I'll think of a new name for this comic, I don't want people thinking it's an intentional callback
    The change is PERFECT! LOL

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suspect that Gloves (the female human vampire) is less than enthralled at the ongoing setback. Greg had better keep her as a thrall because I suspect that if she gets free will she may be less dedicated to Hel's game plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

22. - Top - End - #22

BardGuy

I know this is a continuation of the whole "Durkula draws the wrong conclusions from Durkon's memories" thing, but I can't figure out the lesson he was supposed to get vs. the one he came away with. Hope someone here can figure it out.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Masters Mastering Mastery" I love it!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

If she were already good, she wouldn't have anything to learn from me. Perfect.

As a teacher myself, I'm so going to appropriate that line.

And the new title is even better! Well done on the speedy retitling, Rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If Durkon and Gontor are "hosts", that makes the vampires "guests" or "parasites", depending on the sense of the word "host" used.

a person who receives or entertains other people as guests.
    "a dinner-party host"
    synonyms: party-giver, hostess, entertainer
    "the host greeted the guests"
    antonyms: guest

Biology
    an animal or plant on or in which a parasite or commensal organism lives.
    You could argue for either, or even both. We could refer to the vampires as "unwelcome guests" instead of things like "Durkula" and "Gonetor".

Anyway, this is explicit acknowledgement that the vampire is directly influenced by the host. Which means so long as Durkon struggles, he matters. I'm going to go out on a fairly sturdy limb here and guess that the unwelcome guest is lying to Durkon about the inevitability of being absorbed into the vampire.

Also, it appears that the minion vampires have the ability to argue with each other and possibly even dislike each other.

Lastly, notice how Squeaky is uncomfortable with the term "master", while Durkon's unwelcome guest accepts the word as a matter of course. This may be foreshadowing of a sort; perhaps it is possible for the dwarven hosts to break free from control because a master / slave relationship is unnatural for them.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Ah, but I think it suggests the opposite. Darkon just used the same phrasing and philosophy as someone in the memory. He is being actively influenced by what Durkon dredges up.
    That's true, but I'm not sure to what degree it'd be the same as someone unconsciously quoting from a movie they had watched, for example.
    ungelic is us

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Gontor's attitude doesn't seem quite as childlike as a thrall. Could he be free-willed? (With air quotes around "free" given that his host appears to be exerting some influence.)

I also wonder - did Malack's host color his outlook too? Or are dwarven spirits perhaps singularly stubborn?
    Malack was two centuries into his vampirism at the time we met him, and had probably fully absorbed the mortal he was made from. He certainly seemed to consider his existence continuous with that of his "host". Perhaps all vampires mature into a Malack-like view of their state eventually? Another possibility is that the difference in outlook results in a difference between Hel and Nergal's methods of creating vampires. Perhaps Nergal isn't so heavy on the irony in his vampire personalities, or Hel's vampires have unique difficulties with dwarven hosts, due to her difficulties in dealing with that race.
    Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls?

Pokemon:
    Spoiler
    Show

Friend Code: 4484-7979-9172
    DS name: Ben
    In-game name: Lief
    Friend safari: Charmeleon, Pansear, Ninetails

Brew:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OK, comic renamed with pretty much the same theme from the other angle.
    Ughh what a terrible tongue twister. Brilliant! Sorry but the twistery nature caught my tongue somthing fierce and i had to comment.

Interesting strip but one i feel will become much more important later.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The vampire personalities are opposed to the host personalities.

Gontor had his life planned out for him and rebelled, so the unwelcome guest becomes extremely upset when things don't do what is expected. Gontor's vampire is a perfect follower.

Durkon always supported others and was a perfect follower, so the unwelcome guest is a leader who provides no support to anyone.

The vampire is the antithesis of the host.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Well, that was a fairly revelatory strip. To hear Exarch explain it, he seems to be antagonized by his host's memories. I'm actually not a D&D player, so I don't quite know the rules governing vampires in the setting. Can host souls exert deep influence on the vampiric spirit's actions, or is this more of a one-off situation with Exarch? For that matter, is this just an odd turn of phrase on his part?