Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 103
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Imperial Warlords
    Act I: The Battle of Mustafar


    From the cockpit of the Prismatic Fiasco—an old YT-1300 freighter picketing from Mustafar's leading Trojan point—the planet looks like a beautiful ruby, shimmering with occasional volcanic eruptions and glinting with the stately traffic of ships from the main spaceport and the huge ball of scaffolding that is the military port.

    That peace is shattered as the collision alarms start screaming as the huge, angular bulk of a Star Destroyer drops into view, barely 50 yards away from the ship. As the massive ship shoves past, the small freighter is caught by the wash from its ion engines and slammed into a violent spin, flipping end over end like a coin. The star destroyer continues on, straight like an arrow towards the military port, followed immediately by four black shuttles in sleek echelon.

    Moff Vesa, from the observation control deck, feels no such panic. The control deck is quiet, with only the efficient whispers of the analysts and liaison officers in the gallery below as they start to develop the situation. She smirks a bit as she thinks of the contrast with the panic that must be enveloping the small formation of ships outside the military station ahead.

    Jen Arard
    is standing just ahead and below Moff Vesa, in the control deck commander's station. The holo displays of squadron status and fleet systems start popping up around him as the various stations report, and he is pleased by the number of green status markers. In the center of his displays the urgent, beeping, green launch request from the 7th SPECNAV forces in bays 1 and 2 taunts him.

    Rol Kru has less calm. He sits in the back of the cockpit of the lead insertion craft - a highly modified Theta shuttle, bristling with countermeasures, electronic warfare systems, and more than a few weapons. The two pilots ahead of him somehow seemed like they are crouched to start sprinting. His shuttle is flying in echelon, snugged up tight immediately behind the huge control tower of the Panthac, screened from sensors on the station or ground by the bulk of the star destroyer and the sensor noise of the massive ion engines.

    Dekki fidgets around in the medical station near the main troop launching bay, watching as the various stormtrooper battalions stage into assembly areas and get their gear ready into the nearby lambdas.

    And deep, down in the center of the ship, in the dark, heavily armored command deck, Admiral Halcoor waits. Moments after reentry the room is illuminated by the tactical map projected against the forward bulkhead. Icons and arrows start showing up as the command staff furiously works to assimilate the information. Lieutenant Commander Allesia Kano—the deck watch commander—reports: "Ma'am, reentry is successful and we are oriented directly towards the objective at full speed. We seem to have reverted near a picket craft, and the rear tractor and laser batteries are both requesting permission to engage."

    Spoiler: Situation Map
    Show
    https://ibb.co/nEvoUv

    Map is at the above link. Anyone know an easy place to post these images?

    Orienting the map, from left to right, you'll see a small YT-1300, then the Panthac, then other YT-1300s above and below it. As you move further right, you'll see a formation of 3x CR90 corvettes and 6x medium transports, a small star yacht, then the station, then a Nebulon-B tethered to the station. After you pass Mustafar, you'll see the civilian station.

    The space stations will move towards you at 1 square per turn due to orbital velocity.

    Last edited by robnar; 2018-04-15 at 12:28 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Jen glances over the ready indicators, nodding in faint approval as he does so. "Commander, all squadrons confirm ready. SPECNAV confirms ready. Deploying fighter screen." Jen nods to the various staff officers to send the agreed upon deployment orders. There was no need to clog channels with encouragement and chatter at this point. Let the commander focus on getting the best initial salvo possible.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going above and beyond on this one. Fighters, I assume can deploy without me spending my own actions, so taking 2 swift actions to activate Impel Ally 2 (granting an immediate Move or Standard action to Veesha, followed by using my standard action for Trust, granting her another Standard Action.

    Deploying 1 Fighter squadron of TIE Interceptors (12 there of)

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Dorsal batteries to engage track zero-zoro-three-six," Veesha said, using the designator for the lone visible frigate. With no time to ponder the whereabouts of its two sisters, she continued rapid fire. "Port batteries engage track zero-zero-four-two, starboard batteries engage track zero-zero-four-zero. Ion cannon to engage track zero-zero-three-niner. Fire pattern delta 8." The guns already trained forward, the Panthac swiftly bloomed a scintillating display of reds, greens, and blues.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Inspire confidence (Allies +1 attack/skills)
    Other Standard: Coordinate

    The Panthac move right two squares, then up-right one square.

    Hereee goes. *Crack knuckles*

    Damage will be rolled in OOC and edited in.

    The Nebulon-B will be targeted by one heavy and two regular turbolaser batteries. I'd also like BP to shoot this one.
    Reflex 17 (flat-footed, but gunners can't aim to negate its cover)
    Heavy 1 - (1d20+13)[32] 345 damage, HP 375, SR 95, -1 CT
    Turbo 1 - (1d20+13)[33] 520 damage, FRIGATE IS KILL
    Turbo 2 - (1d20+13)[20] 130 damage, still dead.

    The top-most corvette will be attacked by two heavy and one regular turbolaser batteries.
    Ref 12 (flat-footed)
    Heavy 2 - (1d20+18)[25] 325 damage, HP 475, SR 95, -1 CT
    Heavy 3 - (1d20+18)[35] 460 damage, HP 15, SR 90, -2 CT
    Turbo 3 - (1d20+18)[38] 375 damage, CORVETTE IS KILL

    The closest CR90 will draw all three remaining turbolaser batteries
    Heavy 4 - (1d20+18)[24] 360 damage, HP 440, SR 95, -1 CT
    Turbo 4 - (1d20+18)[19] Missed!
    Turbo 5 - (1d20+18)[25] 255 damage, HP 185, SR 90, -2 CT

    The ion cannons batteries will target the upper-left transport. Reflex 14, because the transports have better armor than the warships. Screwy, ain't it?
    Ion 1 - (1d20+13)[20] 110 damage, HP 345, SR 40
    Ion 2 - (1d20+13)[26] 225 damage, HP 233, SR 35, -2 CT
    Ion 3 - (1d20+13)[14] Missed!
    Ion 4 - (1d20+13)[33] 480 damage, HP 0, SR 0, DISABLED
    Ion 5 - (1d20+13)[17] 155 damage, already disabled
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2017-08-04 at 07:28 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gunhaven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ozarks, Missouri
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Dekki for his part remained within the familiarity of the main med bay. He did his best to drown out the knowledge that battle had happened, mumbling in his native tongue about the damn battle that was going to happen. A deep sigh emerged as the ship left hyperspace and then the brief rock as he knew battle had officially started. Hopefully the damage would be minimal, at least to their side, and he would remain bored until the whole chest pounding was done with and he could get to work mending everyone involved.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

    Your understanding is appreciated.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Moff Vesa


    It had taken months to arrive at this point. Months of patience politicking, engineering and maneuvering to finally see the first stepping stone towards something greater suspended before her in space like a ripe, tropical fruit. Dotted about this orbs dimensions was the military presence of the rebel cell she knew would be here - and who's destruction she planned to capitalise upon as a message to those in this quadrant of the galaxy: a new power was here to protect you against the ocean of chaos beating against the shores of civilisation.

    Pacing to the other side of the deck, hands behind her back, Vesa watched silently as fighters were deployed and her ships brought themselves up into formation. Already she could feel the panic of the rebellion forces ripple across the force - an anxiety the likes of which could only be tasted in the primal terror of animals sensing the arrival of a vicious predator.

    Smiling and waiting, Vesa watched and opened her senses to the ebb and flow of the Force...
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    It was several quiet seconds from the Panthac's reversion into Mustafar space until it lit up with waves of fire towards the small fleet mustering outside of the civilian station. Waves of accurate fire lanced out, raking across the various ships around the station. Simultaneously, fighter groups started streaming out of the port and starboard bays.

    The Nebulon-B docked for repairs was cut in half by a battery of shots directly across the central spine. A secondary battery blasted across the aft engine section, and a third the command section. As the ship buckled and crumpled, it rips large parts of the repair gantries of the station free. By the time the engine section exploded, it had already torn free, trailing fuel and electrical lines from the berthing point.

    Other batteries summarily destroyed one of the corvettes escorting the transport group; a third set of batteries crippled another frigate. Ion bolts liberally peppered the transport formation, leaving one disabled and sparking as the others start to scatter. Almost as an afterthought, the chase battery fired a few bolts that destroyed the out-of-control transport behind the Panthac, and a tractor beam crew reached out and snagged another.

    Under the waves of fire and untold devastation, and the advancing stream of fighters, a casual observer could easily miss the four Theta shuttles that rocketed into a steep dive towards the planet surface, diving straight into a huge volcanic ash cloud to avoid orbital detection.

    The rebel reaction is slow, surprised. As the beams cut through them, the transports broke in multiple directions, scattering. Each of them immediately started pinging a distress beacon. The two remaining cruisers turned and advanced on the Panthac, possibly trying to buy time. Their fire is largely ineffective, glancing off the shields - one lucky bolt penetrates, and creates a burned spot on the port forward glacis. A pathetic fighter contingent - a couple X-wings and bombers - deploys from the station; but too little, too late. The only fast reaction is one of the picket ships, which immediately jumps to hyperspace.

    Moff Vesa, Admiral Halcoor, Commander Arard

    An imperial warship in combat remains quiet - the bridge crews whisper efficiently, to prevent the bridges becoming loud and confused. You watch as the situation maps update with rebel casualties and friendly dispositions. On the screens, the dying ships are slowly surrounding by an expanding cloud of tiny yellow icons as the crew begin evacuating and activating their rescue beacons.

    The friendly icons remain steady. Knife squadron requests priorities of targets on a routine message; the SPECNAV beacon flickers and turns grey, as their shuttles revert to radio silence. The remaining fighter squadrons all report ready, and the legion landing craft and lambdas report that they are prepared to load on order.

    Inquisitor Kru
    The SPECNAV pilots, unlike the regular imperials, are enthusiastic. The two in front of you whoop with glee as the slam their shuttles into a near vertical dive, accelerating at maximum thrust, to the planet surface. As you race towards the enormous ash cloud blotting out the sky, they pull back hard and level the shuttles as they dive in. The air in the ash cloud is incredibly rough, and you're buffeted like a kite. The shuttles switch course twice as move in, to confuse potential air defense.

    As you dive, you hear one of the pilots address you on the intercom. "Sir, all is well. We will reach the groundside settlement in seven minutes."

    Dekki

    You have very little information from the main medical bay. You hear the thump of the firing, and the general hum as the ships generators start revving up, but little else. The mood among the assembled stormtroopers in the vast bay in front of you is almost bored - they are sitting in neat little lines behind their shuttles, or in small groups waiting to load into the landing craft.
    Spoiler: The Map
    Show

    1st Turn Map is here! - https://ibb.co/fG0mxF

    Ignore the thingy on the lower left, that is my Roll20 Avatar. From left to right, first you have the Panthac, then the two 6x vehicle TIE Interceptor groups. Then you have the damaged CR90, the 6x X-Wing group, 4x B-Wing group, and undamaged CR90, and then the rapidly scattering freighters.

    Finally, on the far right, you have the A-Wings around the civilian station.
    Last edited by robnar; 2017-08-16 at 08:05 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Four symbols on the tactical display dimmed in a gruesome understatement of the firepower of an Imperial-II star destroyer. Somewhere upwards of 1500 lives ended in the blink of an eye. Veesha's only reaction was to assign new targets.

    "Main battery finish off those corvettes. Secondary battery use dispersion pattern kappa to wear down the freighters's shields."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Coordinate
    Swift: Born Leader (Allies +1 attack)
    Swift: Designate the X-Wings for Assault Tactics (+1d6 damage)

    Panthac moves 6 squares forward[

    2 Heavy turbolaser batteries fire on the damaged corvette, 3 on the fresh one.

    Damaged 'vette (Ref 14?):
    Heavy 1 - (1d20+19)[24] 260 damage DESTROYED
    Heavy 2 - (1d20+19)[23] 425 damage DESTROYED FOR REALZ

    Fresh corvette (Ref 16)
    Heavy 3 - (1d20+19)[22] 165 damage, HP 635, SR 95, -1 CT
    Heavy 4 - (1d20+19)[21] 335 damage, HP 300, SR 90, -2 CT
    Heavy 5 - (1d20+19)[32] 335 damage, DESTROYED

    Turbolaser battery 1 will shoot the tractored picket (unknown reflex, but even the base damage is probably an insta-gib)
    Turbo 1 - (1d20+19)[25] 365 damage. I don't care what its SR is, it can't withstand firepower of that magnitude.

    Remaining batteries will lend assists to Ion Cannon batteries 1-4 (DC 10).
    Turbo 2 - (1d20+5)[20]
    Turbo 3 - (1d20+5)[15]
    Turbo 4 - (1d20+5)[14]
    Turbo 5 - (1d20+5)[25]

    Ion cannon will target the Gallofrees above the space station (we need a coordinate system to designate targets). 1-3 will target the far ship, 4 and 5 target the closer one. (Ref 14)

    Ion 1 - (1d20+14)[33] +15 if aid succeeded,200 damage, HP 300, SR 40, -2 CT
    Ion 2 - (1d20+14)[27] +15 if aid succeeded, 235 damage, HP 183, SR 35, -4 CT
    Ion 3 - (1d20+14)[21] +15 if aid succeeded, 205 damage, HP 81, SR 0, -5 CT, DISABLED

    Ion 4 - (1d20+14)[20] +15 if aid succeeded, 260 damage, HP 270, SR 40, -2 CT
    Ion 5 - (1d20+14)[21] 180 damage, HP 180, SR 35, -4 CT
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2017-08-17 at 06:47 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    GMT -7
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Rol could hear the background roar of the engines as his transport rocketed towards the planet. He had been a part of many raids in his service the empire but this felt different, well this is different he thinks to himself. Prelude to rebellion, who would have seen it coming.

    With the Emperor dead and leadership in disarray Rol had turned to the force to guide his hand and it had led him to Moff Veesha's side. For good or ill he was where the force willed him to be.

    Rol could feel the excitement in the air as the soldiers of the 7th readied themselves for what was to come next. Excited, some elated even at the opportunity and even the most level headed of them was happy like a race horse at the gate ready to ride.

    Rol opens the comlink to the 7th's commander and in a calm level voice checks in.

    "Your troops are excited Commander Kano. Has it been a while since your last drop?"
    Last edited by cybric; 2017-08-17 at 07:01 PM.
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

    Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Quote Originally Posted by cybric View Post
    "Your troops are excited Commander Kano. Has it been a while since your last drop?"
    A laconic voice hits back on the private channel. "Yup. Too frigging long, m'lord. The SD was on outer rim duty when Endor kicked off. Nothing to do but board freighters and kick xenos around. Finally gonna make an example of some rebel traitor swine."

    "You got the brief on our plan? We're gonna swoop in hard. This crew - Alpha - is going straight for the government building. Beta is taking the hotel. Gamma is going to block reinforcements from the police barracks. Delta is the reserve. Hit the buildings, grab the leaders, take the ones we want and run."

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Moff Vesa


    With one arm behind her back and another close to her front as she clasped a glass of brandy, Vesa cooly observed the unfolding one-sided engagement before her. It wasn't enough that she could spot the flaming debris of former starships and imagine that such vessels were once piloted by living breathing beings - she could feelit. As thousands died and joined the river of the Force, the Dark Jedi Master could enmesh her senses with the current and taste the transition from the material to the spirit.

    Finishing off the last of her brandy, Vesa turned about on the heel of her armored boot.

    "Ensure that my transport is ready," she commented quietly to the waiting ensign as she departed the bridge for the hanger bay.
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gunhaven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ozarks, Missouri
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Dekki made it a point to avoid any indication of how many people just died as the ship rocks gently from the shields taking the hit. Instead the doctor moved to his terminal and pulled up the appropriate screen, tapping a few buttons here and there as he did his best to restore some of the lost shields before any of the crew could be injured from the fight. At the same time he alerted the bays closest to the shield generators in case there was any backlash and the injured started to show up.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Recharging the shields!
    Untrained in all my glory: (1d20+8)[27]
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

    Your understanding is appreciated.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    GMT -7
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    A laconic voice hits back on the private channel. "Yup. Too frigging long, m'lord. The SD was on outer rim duty when Endor kicked off. Nothing to do but board freighters and kick xenos around. Finally gonna make an example of some rebel traitor swine."

    "You got the brief on our plan? We're gonna swoop in hard. This crew - Alpha - is going straight for the government building. Beta is taking the hotel. Gamma is going to block reinforcements from the police barracks. Delta is the reserve. Hit the buildings, grab the leaders, take the ones we want and run."
    Indeed I have been breifed. Hard, fast and precise. I'm expected great things from your troops Kano. I have a feeling the 7th will have a number of opportunities in the coming months as we enlighten them once more who rules this galaxy.

    But remember commander we are here to save these people from themselves. They have been led from the truth and it is our duty to remind them were thier loyalty should really lie. We are the stern hand of the empire calling back it's people.

    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

    I'd like there to be a little be of double talk going on during this exchange that doesn't really come across in PbP. Rol is putting subtle emphasis on certain words and phrases. Very very sublte.

    I'm trying to lay the ground work for turning them over to our side overtly in the future and this is kinda the probing phase. I'm sure we'll have several chances later.


    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

    Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Squadron leaders, continue to deploy. Knife Squadron: all wings engage the X-Wings near that station from extreme range. Hold for reinforcements." This was counter to normal doctrine, but for the time being, pilots and fighters were not an expendable resource, so extra caution was required.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving Knife 1 and 2 to the extreme outer end of Long Range (10 squares away as per the space range of Laser Cannons). Firing 2 Narrow Salvo's. Deploying another squadron of interceptors.

    Attack 1: 1d20+7+12-10= (1d20+9)[20] hit
    Attack 2: 1d20+7+12-10= (1d20+9)[13] miss


    Damage 1: (6d10)[5][6][3][3][4][3](24)x2 = 48, pierces shields, deals 23 damage to in x-wing in the formation.
    Damage 2: (6d10)[7][7][5][6][1][9](35)x2 = n/a

    Rolling against presumably Reflex 18, DR 10, SR 15
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2017-08-26 at 10:45 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    The steady drumbeat of fire from the Panthac continues as it accelerates towards the military station. With fewer targets, the heavy cannon batteries blast away the remaining defensive frigates with ease, and the light cannons fire across the bows of the retreating freighters, herding them into the path of the ion batteries. Half of the freighters, now, are floating in space, with sparks coruscating across their hulls.

    As the interceptors start to mass into formation, they start firing into the incoming rebels at long range. The rebel fighters return in kind with lasers and proton torpedoes, before pulling into steep turns and starting to retreat. One of the interceptors from knife squadron is clipped by laser fire, which sends it spinning. The pilot ejects quickly, and as his ship crosses the bow of one of its colleagues, a proton torpedo blast consumes them both. The first friendly casualties of the battle for Mustafar.

    Almost as an afterthought, the portside tractor turret pulls the disabled picket ship into formation behind the Panthac.

    On the situation map, the tide is now decisively in favor of the Panthac - the enemy main ships are burning in space, surrounded by a few lifeboats and a cloud of emergency rescue beacons from the escaped crew's survival suits. The enemy fighters are retreating, the few remaining transports scattering. One of them drops its shields and engines and starts broadcasting a surrender alert. The military station is outgassing fuel and air from one of its crippled struts, but otherwise intact.

    Admiral Halcoor - One of the watch lieutenants stands from his station in the gallery below and reports: "Ma'am, we've detected four craft matching the signature of the unidentified rebel fighters!" A tight cluster of four blue dots appears on your situation map. "They are in a cluster of fighters that just departed the base and used a SLAM system to fly towards the civilian station!"

    Commander Arard - You hear the reports from the watch floor as the knife squadron liaison reports the loss of Knife-3 and Knife-9. Before you have time to think about it, however, the watch officer turns and reports: "Sir, we have vid on the groundside station and radar. Looks like some are beginning to scatter - we've got moving target indicators running in all directions. I don't think they've spotted the raiding party, however, as some of civilian speeders are moving in their general direction."

    Both Halcoor and Arard - A notice appears on your vid screen - a broadcast from the civilian station: "We are neutral and unarmed. We have no part in this conflict and will surrender peacefully. We request permission to send unarmed shuttles to help recover survivors." Just as the civil station calls in, you see another alert - the SPECNAV have reported onto terminal approach. The red dagger appears on the groundside map and splits - aiming straight for the designated targets. Almost immediately after the report, you see a target request pop onto the grid - a radar station in vicinity of the main speeder terminal at the east side of town.

    Moff Vesa - You step off the turbolift and see your shuttle prepared in the forward shuttlebay. Your personal security detail stands at attention, and the master-at-arms, Imperial Sergeant Harix, is waiting by the turbolift to escort you to your ship and receive orders. He slams his heel down, salutes, and shouts: "Detail, present ARMS!"

    Inquisitor Kru - Most of the approach, aside from your conversation with Captain Kano, is quiet. The SPECNAV are on radio silence during the approach, and something about that makes people irrationally quiet even in their own vehicle.

    As the ash cloud starts to thin, you see in the plain below the impossibly huge spire of the space elevator extending into the sky. The theta pilots roll into another steep dive, into a crevasse at ground level and down. They calmly wind their way through the narrow path on the approach to the city. On the intercom in your bird, you hear one of the troopers in the back note to the pilots and commander - "We got a LOB* onto the air traffic control radar, but they wouldn't have seen us through the ash cloud." The pilot responds - "Roger, good hit. We'll jam it when we bump up."

    After a few minutes in the gorge, the pilot reports - "moving into terminal approach now. Jammers on." The thetas pull sharply out of the gorge and you see the city below. Just as you identify your target - the large government building near the south-side base of the elevator - Captain Kano hits the radio: "SPECNAV report. Alpha up, target acquired." The other thetas report in, good to go. "Gotta fix on the radar station. Transmitting to higher."


    Spoiler: Map
    Show

    Getting better at this.
    https://ibb.co/jUQSz5

    Everything as before. Note the new X-wing and K-wing by the civ station.


    Spoiler: Acronym
    Show
    LOB = Line of bearing. A direction finding radio detector will give you a line of bearing from the detector to the transmitter. Two LOBs give you a "cut"; three or more LOBS give you a "fix", or an actual location of the transmitter (the more LOBs, the more accurate the fix and the lesser the margin of error).
    Last edited by robnar; 2017-08-27 at 10:19 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    The last of the enemy warships submitted to the star destroyer's firepower. But Veesha's attention was focused on the new fighters zooming across the tactical display, away from the Panthac.

    But she kept her annoyance at her prizes escaping artfully masked. "Halcoor to all units, phase 1 complete. Initiate phase 2.

    "Batteries Jenth and Krill, watch that yacht. Disable it as soon as it clears moorings. You will keep it under observation until I specifically countermand this order.

    "Remaining ion cannons keep disabling the freighters. Turbolasers switch to fire pattern Rho and target the B-wings."
    Rho was her brainchild, perfected over the last several years of fighting the Rebellion's hit-and-fade tactics with a criminal lack of point defense weapons. Traditional wisdom held turbolasers were useless against fighters. And a single turbolaser was indeed far too slow in train and fire rate to engage snubfighters. But a battery together could fill an entire grid with brilliant energy. After all, unlike with a shielded capital ship, you only had to hit a fighter once.

    With her orders issued, she had the call sent to her. "This is the star destroyer Panthac. Your surrender is accepted. But please don't send any unarmed ships into an active combat zone.

    "Additionally, you will instruct your security forces to mobilize and place themselves at the disposal of Imperial officers."


    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard-Coordinate
    Swift-Designate the lower-most transport for assault tactics
    Swift-Designate X-wings for assault tactics

    Panthac double moves another 6 squares forward, reels in the transport

    Ion 5 will ready an action to plaster the yacht if it starts moving, and turbo 5 will ready an action to assist the ion cannon.

    Free tractor beam battery will attempt to snag the B-wings
    (1d20-6)[7] (fishing for 20s)

    Remaining turbolasers will also engage the B-wings (Ref 15)
    Heavy 1 - (1d20+2)[10] miss
    Heavy 2 - (1d20+2)[14] miss
    Heavy 3 - (1d20+2)[3] miss
    Heavy 4 - (1d20+2)[3] miss
    Heavy 5 - (1d20+2)[7] miss

    Turbo 1 - (1d20+2)[9] miss
    Turbo 2 - (1d20+2)[12] miss
    Turbo 3 - (1d20+2)[22] 630 damage. Three B-wings destroyed, with exactly no leftover. How's that for precision gunnery?
    Turbo 4 - (1d20+2)[22] 490 damage. Group destroyed


    Ion cannons will fire on the lower-most transport (Ref 14)
    Ion 1 - (1d20+14)[33] 180 damage -45 SR -15 DR=120. HP 340, SR 40
    Ion 2 - (1d20+14)[34] 560 damage -40 SR -15 DR=505. HP 88, SR 35, -2 CT
    Ion 3 - (1d20+14)[24] 210 damage -35 SR -15 DR=160. HP 8, SR 30, -4 CT
    Ion 4 - (1d20+14)[25] 215 damage -30 SR -15 DR=170. HP 0, SR 0, -5 CT, Disabled
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2017-08-27 at 10:18 PM.
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Quote Originally Posted by cybric View Post
    But remember commander we are here to save these people from themselves. They have been led from the truth and it is our duty to remind them were thier loyalty should really lie. We are the stern hand of the empire calling back it's people.
    As the thetas pull out of the crevasse and into the approach to the city, you hear the laconic voice reply: "Roger m'lord. Saving 'em one dead rebel at a time."

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    GMT -7
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    As the thetas pull out of the crevasse and into the approach to the city, you hear the laconic voice reply: "Roger m'lord. Saving 'em one dead rebel at a time."
    Kano I do have a feeling that you and I will get along just fine
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

    Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Admiral, we have a potential issue. Groundside rebel forces appear to be scattering, likely to concealed defensive positions. We have their current locations, but due to conditions on the ground we might not be able to manage that for long." Jen calls up the ground-side reports, flagging a few key features and directing them to Halcoor's datapad. "In addition, several civilian speeders are headed towards the SPECNAV landing zone. Reports indicate that they are likely unaware of our presence, but that isn't the main issue."

    Arad pauses briefly and signals for fighter deployment to continue, allowing the admiral some time to consider the report herself. "My concern is that SPECNAV will have no direct knowledge of the vector of these civilians, or of their apparent non-military status. They are of course in a war zone, so some measure of collateral can be expected, but we should take steps to minimize possible... altercations. Our options appear to be either a request for all ground side civilians to remain still and hope that they are prepared to overlook past incidents, or we directly compromise operational security. We can of course allow events to proceed, but at best the situation will likely delay our SPECNAV teams, and at worst significantly endanger our operations in the system."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Deploying another squadron. All 4 currently will target the B-Wings and move to maintain long-range. (using the double squad rules you brought up)

    Attack Group 1: (1d20+19)[39] CRITS -2 (forgot the two destroyed fighters)
    Attack Group 2: (1d20+19)[26] -2 (forgot the two destroyed fighters)

    Damage Group 1: (6d10)[3][8][10][4][4][1](30)x2x2= 120 (80 damage after shields and DR, shields reduced to 25)
    Damage Group 2: (6d10)[10][4][5][10][2][2](33)x2 = 66 (26 damage after shields and DR, shields reduced to 25)

    not sure if you want that to count as 1 B-Wing destroyed and another damaged, or 2 B-Wings damaged. It's 2 attacks, which technically means 2 random fighters, but I figure having both hit one target would keep your book keeping easier.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2017-08-28 at 10:23 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gunhaven's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ozarks, Missouri
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Dekki let out a sad sigh as the first casualties on their side was reported. He took a few seconds to gather the name of the pilot who died and the one who managed to eject, starting a new list so that those who died in battle could have their families notified. At the same time he sent a message, nothing more than a little notification in a somewhat out of the way place, that stated "If you could request it then having the civilians gather our injured will help when we head out." Finally the xeno turned to the gathered stormtroopers and stated somewhat sadly "We have nearly reached control over space. It's best we board and prepare for our part in the liberation." True to his word he rolled over to the first lambda and strapped himself in, telling the pilot to please take him and any stormtroopers that wanted to deal with civilians to the civilian space station once the battle was largely complete. The remaining, and likely majority, would deal with the military station with the stormsurgeons assigned to the squads.
    Last edited by Gunhaven; 2017-08-31 at 06:01 PM.
    Back on my normal work schedule. Updates will happen when I can finangle them at work or on my nights off on Monday and Friday (unless I get caught up doing something else).

    Your understanding is appreciated.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    GMT -7
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    After finishing his comment to Kano Rol puts on his helmet as the command HUD comes online. His helmet much like the rest of his outfit was a stark black minimalist design, however, there was something dark and menacing about it.

    As the pilot relays information Rol can feel the engines of the Theta rev and the rush of the impending operation hit Rol. He takes a breath, not so much calming himself but directing him, his passions were starting to rise and they would be useful but as with all forces they needed to be guided and directed as his master had taught. There was power in the darkside should one have the strength of spirit and will to grab it but it was also a knifes edge.
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

    Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Veesha turned her gaze to her datapad. Panicked civilians, or panicked Rebels? They both ran just as hard.

    She thought a moment, then reached her decision. "Divert TIEs to intercept. Let the Rebel fighters escape if you must, but I don't want any of those speeders to have a chance to go to ground." The snubfighters would jump to hyperspace and fly off to become someone else's problem. If a group of Rebels took to the hills, it could take months to root them out.

    "Pilots should make visual contact and order the speeders to return to the city airfield. Non-compliant craft are to be splashed." The innocent never run, so the old wisdom held... "Prioritize the ones set to cross paths with our commandos."

    Then she turned to the other problem. Pushing a button to forward the fire mission to her weapons officer, she asked, "Weps, target assessment. Can we knock this out within a couple secondary salvos?"
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Weapons comes back in a few minutes. "Ma'am, we can destroy the target with a medium salvo, fire for effect six, with moderate risk of collateral damage. From this angle we will likely render the speeder port inoperable and cause significant damage to the speeder port facilities. Also, if any shots diverge there is a moderate risk of them splashing within the settlement. We will reach a low-risk firing solution in 12 minutes. The low risk solution will disable the radar and render the speeder port inoperable, but will only cause moderate damage to the facilities and will minimize the risk of impacts in the settlement."

    Spoiler: What he just said, in english
    Show
    Basically, if you shoot now you will destroy the radar and damage large parts of the speeder port, and have some risk of significant civilian casualties. If you shoot next turn, you will decrease the risk of civilian casualties to a natural 1.

    There's no way to destroy the radar from orbit without cratering the runways/launch pads. A heavy turbolaser battery is not a precision instrument. However, people can fix those relatively quickly.
    Last edited by robnar; 2017-08-30 at 01:51 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Release battery Grek for NGFS. And tell the battery captain not to miss."
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Jen returns his attention to the Fighter group displays. "Commander, deploy Sledge squadron. Dirk will deploy next turn, and continue reinforcing the fighter screen."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Launching a bomber squadron, and will deploy another interceptor squadron next turn

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Moff Vesa

    The Sentinel-class transport cruised out of the Panthac's hangers with an enviable grace has it fell in amidst the Theta-class squadron. The crafts flat but tough and heavily shielded frame seemed out-of-place compared to the more graceful ships that surrounded it, but as its sublight engines quickly demonstrated this upgraded vessel was much faster than she looked. Knifing through the debris and back-and-forth turbolaser exchange, the Dauntless brought itself about in the shadow of the Theta's and appeared to be preparing to board the rebel station close to where the troopers were to be injected.

    Inside the transport itself, the armored form of the Moff rolled her shoulders as she felt every life snuffed out about her in the engagement around them. Unhooking the cylinder of her lightsaber, the Dark Jedi master twirled the shaft about her fingers several times as she pushed her senses further and further beyond the walls of the shuttle - her mindseye enveloping the surrounding terrain to see what her eyes could not so that she may find singular focus among the chaos of battle.

    As the bucking and external detonations of turbolaser fire rescinded in volume and the ship started to decelerate, the Moff straightened herself out and neared the exit ramp. Much would be decided in the next thirty minutes, and she wanted to control the hand of fate as much as she could...
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Jen Arard: You receive an urgent. highlighted, flashing request from the main launch bay controller. As the holo pops up, you see a flashing blue image of the young Ensign's head slammed against the holo transmitter by a heavily armored hand. In a slightly compressed voice, the ensign states: "Sir, the Moff's Master at Arms is requesting a priority launch position on behalf of his lady. Sledge Squadron is ahead in queue."

    Spoiler: Decision
    Show
    You can launch BP's shuttle and 3 lambdas, which will make up the boarding party, or you can launch the bombers and tell the Moff to wait, or some other combination thereof.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Oh damn. Should have sourced the Sentinels to a secondary launch bay." Jen sends a Hold order to Sledge Squadron, taking the extra time to make sure their XO and tactical officer gets the latest groundside data. "Clear Moff Vesa for launch. Alert her pilot to the current situation in space, and send a marked urgent report to the fighter screen to track her position." Jen shuffles the launch order on his datapad, checks the new projections on airstrike readiness for Sledge and sends an updated timetable to Admiral Halcoor.

    He flicks open the comline to SPECNAV planet side. "Gentlemen, be aware. Airsupport will be delayed by at least one minute. Repeat and confirm." Damn. Damn, damn, damn. It wasn't his place to criticize the Moff's actions of course. The chain of command was important, but she would need to be included in the planning phase of any future operations, if only to declare her intentions.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Delaying Sledge and launching the Moff and her retinue, if only for the juicy roleplay opportunities at a later date.
    Last edited by OracleofSilence; 2017-09-05 at 03:46 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Hawaii

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    To an untrained eye, the fury of the space battle continues unabated - beams coruscate across the horizon and small, silent explosions punctuate the area. To the trained eye, it's all over but the crying. Another salvo of ion bolts leaves a rebel freighter inert in space, next to three others drifting similarly. A fifth freighter is standing in space broadcasting a surrender beacon, with its shields down and engines off. The sixth jumps away, a last survivor of a small fleet now ruined.

    Bursts of laser fire from the Panthac and interceptors destroy the incoming rebel bombers, and the interceptors dogpile into a swirling fight with the remaining rebel fighters. Four more shuttles, three lambdas and a sentinel, fly out towards the crippled rebel military station, passing calmly through the one-sided melee of fighters around them. Through this fight, a short burst of turbolaser fire towards the surface seems almost an afterthought.

    Halcoor and Arard - the situation map becomes busier and busier as the situation becomes more and more favorable. The last red icons disappear from the map as the blue interceptor squadrons converge on the remaining X-wings and the fleeing fighters disappear behind the civilian station. In their place, more and more lower priority icons take prominence - the list of hails and communication intercepts, the clouds of yellow survivor beacons, the kicked-ant-pile pandemonium of the airspace over the groundside settlement, and the increasing number of ships flying away from the civilian station.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not gonna update the tactical map this turn, because there's not much interesting happening on it. Right now, there is so much information available to you guys about what's going on that I'll need you to post IC what you want to focus on.


    Admiral Halcoor - Once you assign the naval gunfire support, it recedes to a different corner of your brain. It should be about two minutes for them to acquire the target and register the guns, then a good ten to twelve seconds of firing before you need to look up and see what happens. So you are surprised when you see the target request flash complete a full 45 seconds early. Weapons reports eagerly: "Ma'am, Grek splashed the target on the registration shots.* Radar facility and two small launchpads destroyed. Rest of the speeder port intact."

    Commander Arard - Amidst the shouting coordination between the Dagger and Knife squadron liaisons as they try to make sure they don't kill each other in the melee, another watch officer stands. "Sir, launch control requests guidance where you want us to put this captured transport."

    Dekki - You are in a bit of an information vacuum in the medical support shuttle, which gives you time to think. Since the destruction of the first enemy craft it's been about a half hour, which means that the people in emergency escape bubbles are going to start running out of air and suffering from exposure pretty soon.

    Inquisitor Kru - The theta turns 180 degrees and lands with its back facing the government building. Before you get a full view, you hear the struts start bumping and thudding as the SPECNAV teams deploy, led by huge troopers in black space armor. You follow behind, flanked by Captain Kano.

    You landed in a grassy mall - some alien grass meant to inspire comfort, no doubt - immediately in front of the Mustafar government building, an unremarkable three-story structure about the size of a primary school, made out of huge slabs of local granite rock. It lacks any of the majesty of a core world seat of government - rather, it smacks of the kind of building where people go to file claims and renew their speeder permits. As you step off the shuttle, your whole view blacks out for a moment as the pilots engage the cloaking device. When you step into the courtyard, the only sign of your shuttle is a slight ripple in the grass from the idling repulsors.

    Teams fan out to the left and right of the building, with the space troopers and grenadiers firing gas grenades copiously into the second and third floors. Two more teams in front of you make directly for the front doors, with the space troopers in front battering through them at a full sprint. You see the telltale flashes of blaster fire behind as the commandos following eliminate the security guards. One team remains outside the front door with bags of zip cuffs and stun grenades, waiting for the flood.

    This whole process is silent, except for the slams of the doors, the quick bursts of fire, and the thumps of the grenade launchers and tinkles of glass. In the meantime, you feel the ground shake as eight terrific explosions occur a kilometer away at the speeder port.

    Moff Vesa - You make your way towards what the stormtrooper legion assessed was the command base of the three-cornered military station - one of the Baas stations connected to the ruptured gantry from the destroyed Nebulon-B. As you approach, your shuttle and the lambda accompanying it fire short bursts at the closing metal doors of the docking bay, freezing them in place. And then you land, gliding into darkened docking bay of the station.

    Though the force field holding in the atmosphere is still in place, the docking bay is eerily quiet and bathed in strobing red light. You barely notice the transition as you step off the artificial gravity of your shuttle and into the gravity of the space station. Around you, your guards fan out in a normal defensive pattern and the stormtroopers from the lambda start moving ahead, clearing the bay.

    The force in this place feels like the leftover of panic and fear, but you sense very little life. As you expand your senses, you detect a few cringing minds in one of the upper control rooms, and an exhausted crew working near the strut to another station. You push further, waiting to find something more...

    And then you are startled. There is a single shining point, a mind burning with purpose, focus, destiny, and rage. It is moving around in the lower cargo hold of this station, almost 400 meters below you. This is the mind of someone with nothing to lose.

    Spoiler: Acronyms & Jargon
    Show
    I will continue including these for stuff that I don't think is common knowledge.

    NGFS - Naval Gunfire Support. Refers to land troops calling artillery support from a ship, instead of a land battery.

    Registration shot - firing one round from an artillery weapon to see where it lands, before you correct and start firing for effect.

    Splash - artillery speak for the boom when a round lands.
    Last edited by robnar; 2017-09-09 at 12:09 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    "Return grek to central director control. And pass along to Lieutenant Gridley my compliments on an excellent shot." Veesha was always very sparing with praise. Especially in the middle of an action. Which made the times she did do it more notable.

    "CAG, swing a few fighters out wide enough to peek into the station's sensor shadow. I want to know where those Rebels went. Take us around the dock, and tractor those transports into stable orbits as we pass. Turbolasers, blast any reinforcements that jump in. Confirm targets before engaging.

    Comms, broadcast on all channels for all ships leaving the station to heave to and be searched for Rebels. Honest citizens have nothing to fear. Vessels failing to stop will be fired on.

    And give me a list of all hails."
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: Imperial Warlords Act I - The Battle of Mustafar

    Moff Vesa

    Having not yet turned on her saber, Vesa melted into the shadows in the space-black interior of the hanger despite the dimensions granted by her armor. However, inside her helmet the Moff's own eyes were able to peer through the murk at the line of soldiers that fanned out across the bay while nary a movement caught their attention. Peering about slowly, Vesa moved towards the hanger-bay doors with the complete expectation that they would suddenly be blown from their indentures or that they would part to reveal a platoon of soldiers waiting to disgorge an avalanche of rapid fire blaster bolts.

    But the alert did not come from directly ahead.

    Submerged, but no less faint, a point of attention screamed at the Moff's senses from deep into the station: a clarion call that rippled through metal, flesh and plasteel. For this was not a radio or shout, but rather a signal that transmitted across the current of the Force, desperate, frightened, hot with rage.

    Pausing as she noted this disturbance, the Moff looked around the floor slowly as if she could spot a manhole to slip into feet first.

    "Engineering," the Moff spoke quietly through her comm.

    "How close are you to a blue-print read out of this facility?" she asked as she picked up her pace and moved towards the hanger bay blast doors.

    With her mind on opening those doors, she allowed the Force to guide her actions...

    ooc:
    Taking 10 on "Search your Feelings" to know if it's a bad idea to open the hanger bay blast doors or not.
    My Homebrew:
    Pathfinder - The Demonologist
    Pathfinder - The Runeseer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •