New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Looking for Large Scale PBP Roleplay

While I was in high school, I was a part of a large PBP based off Final Fantasy Tactics. I've seen lots of small scale (4-6 players), but I'm looking for a large scale one.

The FFT had 40-50+ players and had a 10 or so GMs to run it. This was back in 2006-2007 and has since died. I been searching for a while, but I haven't been able to find any large scale ones.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this again? I don't care the genre, just enjoyed that type of PBP roleplay and looking for that experience again.

Thank you

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for Large Scale PBP Roleplay

Bump. Still looking to see if there is anything like this still around.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

En Garde games tend to be this - however, no idea where to find one except for google magic.

I always wanted PbP game which would be a mix of En Garde with Shadowrun (or En Garde in Underdark) - politicking, planning of actions and moving on real city map to see who meets whom.

However, no time to do so - and certainly not alone.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The largest games I've seen on this site were the Total War games that ran up to 20-ish players. Those were as much strategy games as RPGs, though, or more so. Week-long terms, the roleplaying often mostly done by secret meetings between leaders or propaganda broadcasts.

I certainly wouldn't want to try PBP with 50 players. Synchronization issues would be a nightmare, even with multiple DMs.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I have no knowledge about FFG, and only basic knowledge of Total War games here on the forum.

I have been a part of Blood Bowl Manager Cup - and it was certainly fun, but still small-scale.

It could possibly work, but:
    - you would need GMs with good scheduling and who WANT to play exactly what you want, and are able to herd cats,
    - a rules-light system that can be mostly automated, and provides possible "did not post order"
    - support for roleplaying on personal level (e.g. PMs between players or Discord),
    - players who accept "Weekly News" format of description and make their own "content",
    - system with little to no additional worldbuilding necessary (players know the world/can make reasonable assumption/can find information they need).

I have tried, in past, to make an En Garde games work with my friends, but found running it without automated support for most things rather difficult. Worked much better when I had some excel sheets with macros that worked for me.

What could work - but not really as PbP as it includes snail mail - would be De Profundis.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The FallenAsh Community generally runs Legend of the Five Rings pbp-games, but have the past years expanded to include FFG's Star Wars and the Song of Ice and Fire RPG. The latter is the current active game, Tourney At Ashford.

The Patreon page gets updated occassionally with info on games, but the current active game-forum is usually the best way to know what's coming. We also have a Discord channel. L5R is our biggest draw and sometimes draw up to 50+ players.

Games are run in cycles, meaning that one game might run from January to February (4-5 weeks) with one IC-day lasting for a number of 3 Real Life-days. Then usually there will be a break-period before another game starts. Some games are one-shots, but the majority are games in on-going "campaigns", with each campaign having approximately 1 game each year. The longest running campaign, Hollow Throne (an L5R-campaign), has been running since 2011 and usually run its games in the spring.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    En Garde games tend to be this - however, no idea where to find one except for google magic.

I always wanted PbP game which would be a mix of En Garde with Shadowrun (or En Garde in Underdark) - politicking, planning of actions and moving on real city map to see who meets whom.

However, no time to do so - and certainly not alone.
    http://www.engarde.co.uk/games.html