Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lord of the Iron Fortress OoC

Welcome everybody. Before we get down to the business of running this adventure we have some story building to do. I would like you all to come up with at least one tie-in to every other party member. I need you all to come up with a name for your adventuring group. I need a few notable events that your group has been involved with (harrowed hell, saved the cheerleader, slew the dragon, that sort of thing). And I need you all to agree on some sort of description for your base of operations.

This is all narrative stuff so, within reason, don't worry about the game mechanics of how the story would have played out, just throw out some ideas. The world you will be playing in is your standard high fantasy setting. You have powerful empires built on conquest, trade, religion, ect. There are vast unexplored hinterlands and natural features that no man has ever crossed and returned. Elves live in forests. Dwarves live under mountains. They don't get along. Feel free to follow or subvert the tropes as you like but please know that I might shoot down or modify anything that is really far out there. In the same vein, this is not eberron, but I leave it to our warforged players to explain how they got here or modify their backstories to be slightly more generic.

Our party:
    Player Build Sheet Speech Format
    BelGareth Human Mineral Warrior Paladin 14 Beargrom Dark Grey
    Dimers Human Battle Sorcerer 7 / Witch Hunter 8 The Pheasant Teal
    CozJa Warforged (Psiforged) Monk/Shaper/Constructor Greystone Dim Grey
    Starbuck_II Half Celestial Human Spellthief/Swordsage Barney Marsh Dropped
    Eric Scott Warforged Charger Fighter 7 Titan Green
    Postmodernist Human Factotum 8/Chameleon 7 Reclin the Rash. Firebrick

Oh and colors. GO!
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2017-10-20 at 12:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lord of the Iron Fortress OoC

Hear thee hear thee!

Awesome!

Bear shall claim a stoic this color (#696969)
    Spoiler
    Show

Ideas for connecting to other characters:
    The Pheasant -
    Bears years as a Exorcist and Sheriff may have crossed path with you on your Witch hunting.

Greystone -
    I feel like this is an odd one, but being strange individuals, a Mineral warrior and psiforged may have found each other compatible companions. Not sure why, but maybe Bear sought you out for a specific mission that he needed a constructor for?

Barney Marsh -
    serving with a half celestial is definitely up Bears alley, and especially with someone who is righteously minded. this is is a shoein, and could be any number of reasons, perhaps we're old adventuring friends?

Titan -
    I imagine we served in a war together as shock cavalry or something similar?

Analects:
    1st Analect, It is one thing to use a weapon, another to kill.
    2nd Analect, It is fine to wield a weapon, but to be one for good, that is a higher purpose.
    3rd Analect, Honor your commitments with integrity.
    4th Analect, Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.
    5th Analect, No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.
    6th Analect, Life every man holds dear; but the dear man holds honor far more precious dear than life.
    7th Analect, It is not the honor that you take with you, but the heritage you leave behind.
    8th Analect, It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered.
    9th Analect, A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.
    10th Analect, Who sows virtue reaps honor.
    11th Analect, The greatest honor history can bestow is that of peacemaker.
    12th Analect, Power is always dangerous, it attracts the worst, and corrupts the best.
    13th Analect, For those who seek to own beauty, will be owned themselves.
    14th Analect, The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
    15th Analect, You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.
    16th Analect, No amount of ability is of the slightest avail without honor.
    27th Analect, Embolden the way for others, so that they may shine their light upon the world, and add it to your own, so your own light will be brighter for it.'
    34th Analect, Never die easy; strive always for a valorous end.
    35th Analect, Honor bespeaks worth. Confidence begets trust. Service brings satisfaction. Cooperation proves the quality of leadership.
    36th Analect, It gladdens me to know, Heironeous is preparing a feast for me!
    45th Analect, Don't waste your time looking back, you are not going that way.
    50th Analect, All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    51st Analect, We should live, act, and say nothing to the injury of anyone. It is not only best as a matter of principle, but it is the path to peace and honor.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-10-24 at 01:29 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

“Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi”
    Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Suppose I'll snag this color (#008000) for Titan.

Edit: Group name ideas: (Randomly Generated)

Weapons of Valor
    Joyful Maggots
    Ambitious Titans
    Harmonious Thunder
    Desire of the Deceased
    Outcasts of the Passive

Ideas for connecting with the others:
    Beargrom- Probably both served as shock troopers at some point for the same people, maybe didn't talk but certainly knew of each other.

The Pheasant- Possibly encountered while he was tracking down those problems to their roots, may have aided if was asked to.

Greystone- May have encountered him during his plane hopping escapades. It is an uncertainty as Titan has never been to Eberron, it knows that it is the original place the warforged were created. Though Titan was built by dwarves and gnomes that only had the general idea of how to make a warforged, they did a good enough job, even if Titan is a bit simple.

Barney Marsh- Money is good. Money can make Titan better. They've probably worked together at some point, assuming they pay was decent.
    Last edited by Eric Scott; 2017-08-15 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    You are quite possibly the best DM I have ever had.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd like the teal color, please.

I'm at work and shouldn't spend a lot of time on this right now. But I'll open by saying that the Pheasant likes constructs in general. Fey, aberrations, undead, fiends -- not worthy of trust, right? Vermin and plant creatures, too biology-driven to be friendly with mankind. But constructs are a nonhuman he gets along with quite well. Even the ones that attack people don't dislike people.

Anyway -- happy to work with a couple warforged. Is psiforged different in some visible way? Never mind, looked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Ideas for connecting to other characters:
    The Pheasant -
    Bears years as a Exorcist and Sheriff may have crossed path with you on your Witch hunting.
    Absolutely, for information or joining each other's team. When Pheasant was called to aid in a border war involving summoned demons, he was very cheered to reunite with than the town sherriff who'd helped set him on his path years ago. (My role in that war was support, not artillery or direct combat -- the Lyre of Building is great for quick fortifications!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Scott View Post
    Joyful Maggots
    I busted out laughing at that.

The Pheasant- Possibly encountered while he was tracking down those problems to their roots, may have aided if was asked to.
    I get the impression that the Pheasant wasn't in Titan's power scale until pretty recently. I'm going to invoke my third Contact here (Influence), when I was practicing Exorcism around 12th level. I needed a companion on an extended assault who wouldn't be bothered by things like sleep, disease, lack of air or grappling attempts by Huge creatures. My Contact pulled strings to get you involved, and I really enjoyed working with a tank-with-a-mind, so we kept up the connection. Sound workable?

Barney: a tricksy* half-angel with a murky past, not willing to do things just out of sheer Goodness? People keep asking the witch-hunter to reveal that you're actually a demon in disguise or something. And I investigated a couple times, joined up with you at least once to get in your good graces, and of course found nothing fundamentally wrong. I mean, we work in different ways, but you're an alright guy. (High Charisma is great!)

* By which I mean "finesse and style", not "bad bad scheming hobbitses".

Greystone: I note that your Spell Research days were shortly before my own. Maybe you were a journeyman, a professor's assistant, and I learned from you? My Enchantment-resisting disobedience spell as a way of keeping my mental shape ... discern shapechanger, sensing when a body has been sculpted ... dawn burst as a modification of your entangling and cocoon ecto effects? Plus it'd be very fitting to have you involved in designing my Lyre of Building!

Gonna wait on Reclin until we see some background rolls.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2017-08-15 at 11:13 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Liking the integration so far. Just wanted to throw out some input. I think the party should work itself around a sort of Justice League or Avengers model. Each of you is a powerful hero in your own right who is allied with other powerful heroes who have similar goals but you don't necessarily work together on the day to day. This does seem to be the direction everybody is going anyways, I just wanted to reinforce it.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I get the impression that the Pheasant wasn't in Titan's power scale until pretty recently. I'm going to invoke my third Contact here (Influence), when I was practicing Exorcism around 12th level. I needed a companion on an extended assault who wouldn't be bothered by things like sleep, disease, lack of air or grappling attempts by Huge creatures. My Contact pulled strings to get you involved, and I really enjoyed working with a tank-with-a-mind, so we kept up the connection. Sound workable?
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    Liking the integration so far. Just wanted to throw out some input. I think the party should work itself around a sort of Justice League or Avengers model. Each of you is a powerful hero in your own right who is allied with other powerful heroes who have similar goals but you don't necessarily work together on the day to day. This does seem to be the direction everybody is going anyways, I just wanted to reinforce it.
    Hmm, interesting... In which case my color is fitting. Unless someone else wants to be Hulk.

7. - Top - End - #7

Hmm, interesting... In which case my color is fitting. Unless someone else wants to be Hulk.
    It's all you, buddy.

I'm bow-centered in combat, but I'm no Hawkeye. Not with 14 Dex and no archery feats. I do kinda have his "one answer for every problem" quiver, though -- at-will force damage for Ethereal critters, junglerazer for fey/vermin/plants, cerulean sign for aberrations, greater disrupt undead for (duh) undead, and not a one of 'em has a chance of hurting allies.

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'll go color Gold

The Pheasant - Yeah, I can see a investigating job involving superstitious civilians.

Greystone - May I entered a tournament and had to fight you. Not sure who won. After the fight we liked the cut of each others jib and took a job together.

Titan - yeah, I see them working a job together on a random job. Learning we best can work together.

BelGarth -Likely it was a stealth mission during the war which you protested till I convinced it was for the greater good. It was a rousing success so we definitely felt strong camaraderie.

Group name:
    I still like the Joyful Maggots, weird group name.

If we are Justice League, I'll be Wonder WoMan
    If we are Avengers, I guess I'll be Deadpool.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Group name:
    I still like the Joyful Maggots, weird group name.
    Well you all do have army experience...?

10. - Top - End - #10

Well you all do have army experience...?
    I was auxiliary only. Never got the screaming drill sergeant routine. Just as well -- Disobedience protects against charm and compulsion, not fear.

If we really want to go with that name, I'd ask for a shift to the more euphonic 'Joyous Maggots'. Rolls off the tongue better. ... Aaaaand now I'm thinking of joyous maggots rolling off my tongue. Great.

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    ... Aaaaand now I'm thinking of joyous maggots rolling off my tongue. Great.
    Don't think about coconuts!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It is surely not casual that my character creates constructs out of his mind to fight his battles, but still likes to punch people in the face... at least I don't have my power tied to a ring

Anyway. I'm at work today and cannot delve too much into our shared backgrounds. I'll be back with you this evening (that for me means at around 10 hours from now
    Does this poster have a sign?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, as a color I'll use Bold Dim gray that seems appropriate for... well Greystone.

For our past meetings and how we ended up becoming a team... uhm. I voluntarily left all the last parts of Greystone's life a bit vague, since after he joined the astral travelers, he could have been everywhere. I'd say that he could have become Titan's friend listed in the last Shock Trooper entry (unless you were thinking to use it as a contact); maybe they met in the field of battle, and Greystone curiosity about another kind of Warforged, but not of Eberronian origin prompted him to study him become his friend

@Dimers I like your ideas so far... it makes sense that a constructor would be really interested in helping creating a Lyre of Building. He sees Pheasant as a fellow artist, and another strange one at it!

As for the others, while I concur with the fact that we may be able to met someday in the past, I believe that we should chose one of us who is the one who put the band together. We may have met, but starting with "I'm his friends and even his friends and they are friends and they have this other friends who is my friend and another one who is friends with all of them and even with me..." feels strange for me.

Maybe one of the characters (Beargrom? Pheasant? Even Barney looks like somebody who can appreciate companionship, for a while) put together all of us, then we had this incredible planar adventure that tied us together, or we could be part of a group of mercenaries (all of us have a war background) and decided to found our company!

Also voting
    Guards of the Valiant as preferred name... but Joyful Maggots has charm too

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I love everyones ideas so far.

As for the immediate group being banded together, how about we come out from the previous module (written as the precursor to this one) Deep Horizon, we just got done defeating the beholders/salamanders.

I agree, someone could have bought the group together, and true to form those with the highest cha probably did it, so the Pheasant or Barney. Perhaps they were promised some coin to go help the Desmodu, and formed a team, with our suggestions above as the preface for knowing each other, and we sallied forth into the dark to defeat the evil therein?

Also, +1 vote for Guardians of the Valiant.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2017-08-16 at 05:01 PM.
    "I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

I love everyones ideas so far.

As for the immediate group being banded together, how about we come out from the previous module (written as the precursor to this one) Deep Horizon, we just got done defeating the beholders/salamanders.

I agree, someone could have bought the group together, and true to form those with the highest cha probably did it, so the Pheasant or Barney. Perhaps they were promised some coin to go help the Desmodu, and formed a team, with our suggestions above as the preface for knowing each other, and we sallied forth into the dark to defeat the evil therein?
    I like the idea of having worked together through that module. It means that in character we can already know pretty much everything each other is capable of.

Also, +1 vote for Guardians of the Valiant.
    It's not bad, though it does bring about one thought. I am Groot.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    It is surely not casual that my character creates constructs out of his mind to fight his battles, but still likes to punch people in the face... at least I don't have my power tied to a ring
    That's a beautiful analogy.

Beholder-slaying? I'm down for that.

I agree, someone could have bought the group together, and true to form those with the highest cha probably did it, so the Pheasant or Barney.
    I call "not it"! I'm trying to play "Charisma as actual influence over people" in one other game right now, and it's a strain. I'm no social butterfly IRL. I'd prefer to leave the Pheasant at "Charisma as reality-bending". Though if you don't mind me bouncing the ball back into your court, a paladin's drive and an earth-creature's stability make a great center for a group too ... the glad-handers might gather a party, but it's the guy with gravity that keeps it together.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Well you do have a ring... and it does amplify your fighting power...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be down with that, paladin do tend to be charismatic anchors, depends on starbuck
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I'm cool with the Paladin or me.

I like idea we defeated beholders/saved people. We made plans to come together if trouble needed more than one of us. And this module if when we needed it.

I still vote Joyful Maggots, but I'd be fine with Guardians of the Valiant.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be fine with joyful maggots, I could see it chaffing a courtesan merely saying it, and it shows we don't take ourselves to seriously.

So, anyone want to be the decider for who bought the team together?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

21. - Top - End - #21

I do favor Beargrom as the uniting element. Possibly just because you started the thread, BG, but I think mostly because of the Unshakeable Hero thing.

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #22

BlackDragon

Yeah, Beargrom seems the most likely, though I could see it as a joint effort by Beargrom and Barney. Partly for duty, partly for profit.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

So, what else do we need? A base of operations?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Since Greystone started his planar travels with the Gith people, we could have a Zerth monastry floating in the Limbo...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Since Greystone started his planar travels with the Gith people, we could have a Zerth monastry floating in the Limbo...
    That would be pretty dope.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

That can work. In that module the party would have raided a salamander forge site and there they rescued Kragarm Firebrow, who was being forced to work as a slave. They also found missives, carved on iron tablets in dwarvish runes, offering to pay handsomely for skilled craftspeople. The missives were marked with a strange seal that seemed to be a draconic rune overlayed on a dwarvish "I"

That would be dope

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

A githzeria monastery floating in the EVER-CHANGING CHAOS OF LIMBO, going once.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

Limbo is one of my favorite planes. The only plane I like more is Pandemonium, though that wouldn't be as great a place for our base.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Limbo is one of my favorite planes. The only plane I like more is Pandemonium, though that wouldn't be as great a place for our base.
    I would prefer a plane called Pandamonium, a plane of pandas.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

That would be terrifying.

Imagine the random encounters....
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

Threat, Timer, Treat
    Discord