New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Yet another dryad. Please PEACH.

Dryad, Cherry Blossom
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 6d6 (21 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
    Attack: Masterwork dagger +8 melee (1d4/19-20) or masterwork longbow +8 ranged (1d8/×3)
    Full Attack: Masterwork dagger +8 melee (1d4/19-20) or masterwork longbow +8 ranged (1d8/×3)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Intoxicating Scent, Sneak Attack (1d6), Spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, grove dependent, wild empathy
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +10, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 18
    Skills: Escape Artist +13, Handle Animal +13, Hide +13, Knowledge (nature) +13, Listen +13, Move Silently +13, Ride +8, Spot +13, Survival +11, Use Rope +6 (+8 with bindings)
    Feats: Great Fortitude, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse
    Environment: Temperate mountains and forests
    Organization: Solitary (rarely) or patrol (2-4) or grove (6-12)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment:

Like other dryads, a cherry blossom dryad’s delicate features are much like a female elf’s, though her flesh is like bark or fine wood, and her hair is like a canopy of leaves that changes color with the seasons. When the cherry blossoms are in bloom, usually for just a couple of weeks during the year, a cherry blossom dryad’s hair turns pink. They tend to wear sylvan silk robes with the cherry blossom motif.

Unlike their sisters, cherry blossom dryads are seldom solitary. They tend to patrol in small groups, as their groves tend to attract more than their fair share of visitors due to fabulous cherry blossoms and fruit. In addition, swarms of green songbirds (mejiro) and bees tend to congregate around the trees in the spring. These creatures never seem to attack the dryads.

Cherry blossom dryads speak Common, Elven, and Sylvan.

Combat

Shy, intelligent, and resolute, dryads are as elusive as they are alluring—but unlike their sisters, cherry blossom dryads relish physical combat and are rarely seen unless they wish to be. If threatened, or in need of an ally, a cherry blossom dryad uses charm person or suggestion, attempting to gain control of the attacker(s) who could help the most against the rest. Any attack on her grove, however, provokes the dryad into a frenzied defense.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—entangle (DC 13), speak with plants, tree shape; 3/day— charm person (DC 13), deep slumber (DC 15), tree stride; 1/day—suggestion (DC 15). Caster level 6th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.

Grove Dependent (Su): Each cherry blossom dryad is mystically bound not to a single tree, but to her grove (often shared with other cherry blossom dryads) and must never stray more than 300 yards from it. Any who do become ill and die within 4d6 hours. A dryad’s grove does not radiate magic.

Intoxicating Scent (Su): Any creature that comes within 30 feet of a cherry blossom dryad during the few weeks she is in bloom must make a successful Will save (DC17) or be intoxicated by her sweet scent. This ability works like a mind fog spell with victims taking a 10 competence penalty on Wisdom checks and Will saves; its effects persist as long as the victim remains within 30 feet of cherry blossom dryad, plus an additional 2d6 rounds. A creature that succeeds on its Will save remains immune to the intoxicating scent for one day.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If a cherry blossom dryad can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

Her attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the cherry blossom dryad flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

She can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. She must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. She cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

A cherry blossom dryad’s sneak attack stacks with sneak attacks gained from any class levels.

Wild Empathy (Ex): This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that the dryad has a +6 racial bonus on the check.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2017-08-17 at 09:35 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Yet another dryad. Please PEACH.

Another delightful creation; elegant and flavourful.

Some notes: I think saves should be Fort +4 (1/3rd fey HD plus feat), Ref +9 (1/2 fey HD plus 2 plus dex), Will +7 (1/2 fey HD plus 2 plus wis)

Ride and Use Rope should still be +6 and +4 respectively (the base dryad doesn't have actual ranks in them, just synergy bonuses and ability modifiers).

If they take Point Blank Shot, I'd replace Weapon Finesse with a different feat (since they're almost always better off sticking to their bows now). Perhaps Ability Focus (intoxicating scent) to help the charm person magic work? :D

Why did you choose neutral alignment? (Not a criticism, just interested)

I'd throw in goodberry as an SLA too (cherries). :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Another delightful creation; elegant and flavourful.

Some notes: I think saves should be Fort +4 (1/3rd fey HD plus feat), Ref +9 (1/2 fey HD plus 2 plus dex), Will +7 (1/2 fey HD plus 2 plus wis)

Ride and Use Rope should still be +6 and +4 respectively (the base dryad doesn't have actual ranks in them, just synergy bonuses and ability modifiers).

If they take Point Blank Shot, I'd replace Weapon Finesse with a different feat (since they're almost always better off sticking to their bows now). Perhaps Ability Focus (intoxicating scent) to help the charm person magic work? :D

Why did you choose neutral alignment? (Not a criticism, just interested)

I'd throw in goodberry as an SLA too (cherries). :)
    Glad you liked it.

Doh, I forgot to add the feat to Fort and I think it was I had copy paste error too and I didn't realize it.

Bhu made a great cheat sheet for all levels goes up to 100 for both good and poor saves. 6th level is +5 good, +2 poor. So yeah, Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +7

They're too organized to be chaotic unlike regular dryads, who by nature are solitary. A triad of dryads just popped into my head. I think I need to incorporate this somehow.

I figured neutral good was more up their alley.They work together at times. Also, I kept the standard SLA of the dryads because I'd fiddled with them so much in other areas. They might be better with their bows but the trees might not allow for much use of clear shots. They can sneak attack with their daggers and get the bonus to hit.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2017-08-17 at 09:45 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Glad you liked it.

Doh, I forgot to add the feat to Fort and I think it was I had copy paste error too and I didn't realize it.

Bhu made a great cheat sheet for all levels goes up to 100 for both good and poor saves. 6th level is +5 good, +2 poor. So yeah, Fort +4, Ref +9, Will +7

They're too organized to be chaotic unlike regular dryads, who by nature are solitary. A triad of dryads just popped into my head. I think I need to incorporate this somehow.

I figured neutral good was more up their alley.They work together at times. Also, I kept the standard SLA of the dryads because I'd fiddled with them so much in other areas. They might be better with their bows but the trees might not allow for much use of clear shots. They can sneak attack with their daggers and get the bonus to hit.

Debby
    Oh cool, I always just do it manually. A quick-reference sheet would save a lot of time.

Ah duh, I missed the grove/nonchaotic connection, my bad. It's quite clear in hindsight.

I did a quick google for "cherry tree dryad", there's loads of pics if you wanted to add one in too.

I look forward to yet more nymphs!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

P.s. Apologies for double-posting, but I'd add in Unearthly Grace too (from the SRD nymph). It's my favourite special quality and I feel almost all fey should have it, just like DR/cold iron - they've all certainly got the Charisma for it!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

P.s. Apologies for double-posting, but I'd add in Unearthly Grace too (from the SRD nymph). It's my favourite special quality and I feel almost all fey should have it, just like DR/cold iron - they've all certainly got the Charisma for it!
    I tend to concur... I feel it's an ability that seems like it could be shared... maybe there was a union of the two at some time that stuck and gave a varient of the ability...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

If this were a nymph, I'd add unearthly grace, but dryads don't generally have it. Also, with only 6 HD, I don't want to add on additional Special Abilities because that starts to mess with the CR. I think one special ability per HD is about right.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    If this were a nymph, I'd add unearthly grace, but dryads don't generally have it. Also, with only 6 HD, I don't want to add on additional Special Abilities because that starts to mess with the CR. I think one special ability per HD is about right.
    Very sensible, I'm bad about tossing tons of abilities in myself haha.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I view dryads being mortally tied to a tree / grove as bad design.

I Game of Thrones the ancient tree gave them unparalelled protection, but they didn't die along with it (yes,I know that nobody calls them "dryads" in GoT).

Furtermore, if a dryad comes to know about an imminent danger to het tree / grove by mobs, there's little to nothing that she can do about it - i.e. go to the source of the problem and try to intervene via disguise/bribe etc.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Very sensible, I'm bad about tossing tons of abilities in myself haha.
    lol I couldn't agree with you more, for myself XD Hence why I love posting things on this and other forums.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    I view dryads being mortally tied to a tree / grove as bad design.

I Game of Thrones the ancient tree gave them unparalelled protection, but they didn't die along with it (yes,I know that nobody calls them "dryads" in GoT).

Furtermore, if a dryad comes to know about an imminent danger to het tree / grove by mobs, there's little to nothing that she can do about it - i.e. go to the source of the problem and try to intervene via disguise/bribe etc.
    It's kind of an inherent part of their flavour though, in both mythology and every version of DnD they've appeared in. Definitely restricts their viability as a PC race though!

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    lol I couldn't agree with you more, for myself XD Hence why I love posting things on this and other forums.
    Yeah we can let our fevered imaginations run wild. :D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It's kind of an inherent part of their flavour though, in both mythology and every version of DnD they've appeared in. Definitely restricts their viability as a PC race though!
    Not necessarily as PCs, but also as NPCs that can actually fight back or be encountered at various locations.
    The traditional restriction makes them too predictable to pose a decent challenge of any sort. It just makes them a lot less interesting.