New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

New Blood Incantation seems really good.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

annnd…. 1349 it's back!

the infernal pathway
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    annnd…. 1349 it's back!

the infernal pathway
    That entire record rips. It's insane they have this level of intensity a quarter of a century in...
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

New Alcest is out. It's really really good. I didn't like Kodama all that much, but yeah this is the one I wanted.

Also apparently the new Lacuna Coil isn't too bad? I am surprised.

Oh I recently discovered a label called Cryo Chamber - they have a bunch of dark ambient and atmospheric stuff on there and it's absolutely amazing. It's been my background music for the past couple of weeks and I love it.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    New Alcest is out. It's really really good. I didn't like Kodama all that much, but yeah this is the one I wanted.

Also apparently the new Lacuna Coil isn't too bad? I am surprised.

Oh I recently discovered a label called Cryo Chamber - they have a bunch of dark ambient and atmospheric stuff on there and it's absolutely amazing. It's been my background music for the past couple of weeks and I love it.
    I LOVE the new alcest - truly stunning

I will listen to the Lacuna on your recommendation

Also Cryo Chamber is one of my fav ambient labels - so much good stuff to discover there
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am not sure if it is really metal, but I'm doing my first listen of Pitfalls by Leprous and I think it's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I am not sure if it is really metal, but I'm doing my first listen of Pitfalls by Leprous and I think it's great.
    Hell yeah Leprous is the bomb. They are at least tangentially metal thanks to the Ihsahn connection That live video of Contaminate Me with Ihsahn is still one of the coolest things. Haven't heard the new stuff but it's definitely on my list.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2019-11-12 at 04:01 AM.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground

So OM are playing in March, which is awesome since they're the band that got me to reapproach metal as an adult. Playing a good sized indie venue here in Pittsburgh.....with tickets through Ticketmaster, promoted by LiveNation???? That makes me all around sad, particularly since there are plenty of indie promoters who could run it, and plants of other venues with Ticketmaster shows. Stay in your lane! Seriously, this annoys me more than it should.

Goth news, playing a goth holiday show (with NØIR and Seeming!), so prepared a couple appropriate songs to play. If you want some dark holiday music, this is a free download: https://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp...um/cold-winter

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

So I think it's time for albums of the year right?

The new Officium Triste just hit my radar and it's upsetting all my lists. SO GOOD and SO SAD
    My Metal Blog

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

The year started off strong and I think it's ending pretty strong, but not a whole lot happened in the middle, at least for music I tend to follow. Just recently we got the new Wilderun, new Obsequiae, and new Avatarium (bleedin' excellent btw).

I'd say Devin Townsend's Empath is one of the highlights of the year; I was absolutely blown away by it. The new Alcest was excellent, and this year's Finsterforst and Ereb Altor and Isole was solid as always, and I was pleasantly surprised by the new Soen's Lotus.

11. - Top - End - #341

I'd go with Aephanemer's Prokopton and Paladin's Ascension. In less metal things, Nad Sylvan's The Regal Bastard.

In the field of "worst disappointment", I'd like to nominate Sonata Arctica's Talviyö. I liked the single, although it was really understated, but the whole album is like that, and I'm not OK with it.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey I'd totally forgotten about Aephanemer! Yeah I was really pleasantly surprised by Prokopton. It's overall a great record.

13. - Top - End - #343

Yesterday was an unusually lucky day for me in music. I listened for the first time to Birth of Violence by Chelsea Wolfe, Love out of Darkness by Quayde LaHüe, In the Raw by Tarja, Empath by Devin Townsend, and Extinction Six by Dialith. I really liked all of them. I found Extinction Six exceptionally good. At first I thought that the singing had been recorded as oddly feeble, but it's actually very evocative, and the singer is good (nice voice and control).

To be honest, I also enjoy a female-fronted band without a growling dude. Nowadays, it's become increasingly hard to find a symphonic band without some dude jumping out of nowhere and growling all over the place... at intervals. It's something I didn't like about Epica and that I still don't really get about Crimfall and Frozen Crown (in spite of the fact that they do good music). There's too much disconnect between sections of the same song. I think Macbeth did it right in 1998 with Romantic Tragedy's Crescendo by having the guy growl for the whole duration of the album while the woman sang, so that it was homogeneous. Draconian also sing more or less this way. Interestingly, these two are gothic/doom, rather than symphonic, metal bands.

I also was surprised by how much better and more mature Tarja's album sounds.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

so, I made a thing:
    https://dreamslain.bandcamp.com/trac...rises-in-force

would be happy to hear what you think of it
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

15. - Top - End - #345

Enjoyable. I like it. Keep the singing style, stands apart from the usual growly stuff. :]
    Well that was awkward.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Enjoyable. I like it. Keep the singing style, stands apart from the usual growly stuff. :]
    Thank you. I'm more comfortable with this half growl style than either clean or full on growling (which I usually only do if I sing over blast beat parts)

17. - Top - End - #347

So I think it's time for albums of the year right?
    I don't think I came across much great metal released this year. Abnormality's new record, I guess. Maybe A Pregnant Light, but that's borderline metal at best.

I did rediscover the greatness of Axis of Advance this year though, so there's that. Forgot how rad they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

18. - Top - End - #348

Looking back for a 2019 top-10 (in no particular order, not all strictly metal, and based on my tastes)

Dialith -- Extinction Six (North American symphonic metal that does its own thing. Nice themes too)
    Aephanemer -- Prokopton (French folk death symphonic melodic growling woman. It was re-released towards the end of the year.)
    Paladin -- Ascension (on a power metal quest. Since I don't like thrash, it must be really good)
    Krypto -- Afterburner (heavy metal)
    Avantasia -- Moonglow (rock opera German Meat Loaf Spirit)
    Nad Sylvan -- The Regal Bastard (just rock)
    Otoboke Beaver -- Itekoma Hits (punk/hardcore, of which I only managed to find a song, but it left quite an impression)
    Pristine -- Road Back to Ruin (hard rock)
    Embrace of Disharmony -- De Rervm Natvra (avant-garde orchestral metal with some Latin text from the ancient poem De Rerum Natura)
    Galley Beggar – Heathen Hymns (folk metal)

The good part, I think, is that some of these are debut albums.

Also, a throwback: High Spirits -- Motivator, a 30 min hard rock album from 2016.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-01-04 at 02:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's my list thought I posted earlier: https://metalinjection.net/lists/bes...albums-of-2019

Vinyadan - that Paladin record is great, don't know the rest but will check it !
    My Metal Blog

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Pristine -- Road Back to Ruin (hard rock).
    I have the impression that Pristine has gotten softer on this album than on the previous ones. less blues rock and more poprock?

21. - Top - End - #351

Here's my list thought I posted earlier: https://metalinjection.net/lists/bes...albums-of-2019
    How am I only now discovering that Obsequiae released a new record last year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

22. - Top - End - #352

So funny story I think the other musicians around here would appreciate.* I played this show on saturday; three local bands at a dive bar, nothing special but a lot of fun.* Because it's a low-pressure gig I try out something a little different.* I wrote a piece for Silber Records' Droneuary series (which is awesome and I'd highly recommend.* A new drone-based piece every day, last year went until March).* I figure I'll write some lyrics and try it out live.* Section A (about 5 minutes) is primarily synth drones and sparse drum machines, so I sing over backing tracks for that, then pick up my guitar and slowly build into a heavy drone (am I now Stoner Goth?* Doomwave?)* Not sure how one live guitar over the backing tracks will work for that, also about 5 minutes long, but we'll give it a shot.* The tricky bit is the transition, after the last beat, I need to give it a couple measures and then hold the rhythm so I'm not off when the next instrument comes in.

Part A goes fine, a little off vocally, but fine for a dive bar.* I pick up my guitar and get ready to count.* At which point a guy comes up with a fistfull of dollars.* I appreciate the gesture, but I'm trying to play and this is the part I need to concentrate on, so smile and nod and get back to focusing.* Then he starts throwing bills at me.* Then he starts tucking bills into my guitar strap, and trying to get them in the pouches on the side of my kilt.* I was a moment away from punching him when he walked away.* I mean, I know I'm in makeup and a kilt, but you're not at a strip club dude.* Anyway, I was unsurprisingly thrown off by that, but everyone there was also weirded out by that guy (and surprised that I didn't punch him) so I think I got away with a little sloppy playing.* Someone with an actual camera said they got my whole set, but I managed to grab most of the song with my crappy camera (forgot to wipe the card, so didn't get the whole set), the weirdness starts at 5:40
    https://youtu.be/QMLZY-UMdB0

23. - Top - End - #353

@JoshL, weird man aside, I found the music very enjoyable.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    How am I only now discovering that Obsequiae released a new record last year?
    Dude... its insane

What do y'all think of the new Elder song?
    My Metal Blog

25. - Top - End - #355

Well, there's a new Nightwish single out, and the new album will be out on the 10th of this month.

I don't have much of an opinion on the single. However, I was surprised to hear an Auri (Holopainen's side-project) sound in the new Night Flight Orchestra album.

26. - Top - End - #356

Three doom metal albums I recommend:

• The Radiant Dark by The Drowning: UK death/doom
    • Upon a Pale Horse by Below: SWE heavy/doom
    • The Crowning of the Fire King by Sorcerer: SWE heavy/doom
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-04-13 at 08:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Three doom metal albums I recommend:

• The Radiant Dark by The Drowning: UK death/doom
    • Upon a Pale Horse by Below: SWE heavy/doom
    • The Crowning of the Fire King by Sorcerer: SWE heavy/doom
    Below is still around? I dig that band a lot!
    How is everyone holding up in quarantine?

Thoughts on the new Black Dahlia?
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #358

Below is still around? I dig that band a lot!
    How is everyone holding up in quarantine?
    I have things to keep myself occupied with, but I think that it must be terrible for professional musicians, on both mind and wallet.
    Thoughts on the new Black Dahlia?
    The two released songs sound very lively and kickassy, although they aren't really my cup of tea.

EDIT: I forgot to recommend another doomish album: Mana by Idle Hands -- US gothic/hard'n'heavy.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-04-15 at 09:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

I'm just realizing how long I've been lurking in this thread. I don't think I even posted year end lists here for the past few years.

Crowning of the Fire King and Mana are great albums. I didn't think Mana would stick with me as much as it did, but it's just so catchy. There's a new record from Sorcerer coming out the end of next month, which I'm looking forward to.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    I'm just realizing how long I've been lurking in this thread. I don't think I even posted year end lists here for the past few years.
    Welcome! It's never too late to go from lurking to active posting!