New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Sure, but can you play a guitar this fast?

Also, everyone knows you can't fight the forces of darkness while growling. Everyone knows that. We also all know that only higher pitched vocals will kill dragons. This is all pretty much science.

In case you're looking to make a serious counter argument, it's just a joke.
    Bah! Keep that pretty boy stuff. I like my guitars tuned lower than the underworld and my vocals deeper than Satan's armpits.

I know, I'm just pissing about. Don't tell anybody but I actually like some Angra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Bah! Keep that pretty boy stuff. I like my guitars tuned lower than the underworld and my vocals deeper than Satan's armpits.
    Dude, I get you like music that is different from the music I like, and I'm okay with that. My problem is that's just unsanitary. You should probably take a shower to wash off whatever you got on you in those two places.

Shower with GLORY with shower heads made of STEEL!

Just don't use the conditioner made of the swords of heroes. I did that once, and I still have cuts from it. Fun Fact: holy steel doesn't dull, neither does the steel enchanted with the power of ancient dragons.

Probably the last secret message I'll leave, but I'm having way too much fun with this argument.
    I also completely didn't notice what you put for your location until I made this post. Nice Slayer reference!
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Eh, I'm an unashamed fan of those girly gothic/symphonic metal bands. If anything, they tend to be looked down on even more than your usual power metal. But metal is a huge genre, and you can obviously listen to whatever you want. Can't like every genre of metal equally. Anyway, anyone who tells you the likes of Iced Earth or Blind Guardian isn't real metal don't know what they're talking about.

Power metal can be silly, but that's not intrinsic to the genre; it's up to each individual band. Same with quality. Anyway, not all bands need to be as serious as, say... Cannibal Corpse

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    9. Sorcerer - The Crowning of the Fire King: Sing-along doom with big fun riffs and vocal melodies that at times recall Symphony X. (Dreaming, will I wake up again?)
    Oh man, I love this band. The only reason this wasn't in my best-of list is that I liked their previous album better. But yeah, Sorcerer is great. They do the epic Candlemass-doom so well.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

I know, I'm just pissing about. Don't tell anybody but I actually like some Angra.
    I c wut u did thar

So I just bought plane tickets to go see Subrosa for the 20th(ish) time for my birthday.

Am I crazy?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #95

Subrosa AND Sleep! That's not crazy, that's a good investment!

As to the previous conversation, elitists are silly in every genre, and anyone who tells you what you should or shouldn't listen to can be safely ignored.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Eh, I'm an unashamed fan of those girly gothic/symphonic metal bands. If anything, they tend to be looked down on even more than your usual power metal. But metal is a huge genre, and you can obviously listen to whatever you want. Can't like every genre of metal equally. Anyway, anyone who tells you the likes of Iced Earth or Blind Guardian isn't real metal don't know what they're talking about.

Power metal can be silly, but that's not intrinsic to the genre; it's up to each individual band. Same with quality. Anyway, not all bands need to be as serious as, say... Cannibal Corpse
    Power metal is one of my favorite subgenres, but among those favorites it does have the highest crap to not crap ratio. When it's good, it can be great, when it's bad, it's often actively grating, whereas lesser thrash and death metal records are usually just dull.

Oh man, I love this band. The only reason this wasn't in my best-of list is that I liked their previous album better. But yeah, Sorcerer is great. They do the epic Candlemass-doom so well.
    I got into them with the new record, and only recently picked up Shadow of the Inverted Cross. So far I think I prefer Crowning of the Fire King, but we'll see.

I hear a lot of Symphony X in their melodies as well. The singer sounds like a less raspy Russel Allen.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2018-01-06 at 09:30 PM.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post

As to the previous conversation, elitists are silly in every genre, and anyone who tells you what you should or shouldn't listen to can be safely ignored.
    Even Anthony Fantano?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

So there's a new Drudkh album coming. That's always good news. Their previous ones were... well, pretty much all the same. But I like what they do so I'm interested in the new one.

I got the new Sinistro. Damn it's good. I'm all about that vocalist... she's got such an amazing voice. That gothy/doomy music is also right up my alley.

Been listening to the new Summoning as well. I'm not always in the mood of excessive synths, but Summoning scratches that itch like nothing else. Not sure if I like it more than Old Mornings Dawn, but it's damn good nonetheless.

Power metal is one of my favorite subgenres, but among those favorites it does have the highest crap to not crap ratio. When it's good, it can be great, when it's bad, it's often actively grating, whereas lesser thrash and death metal records are usually just dull.
    Heh, yeah you're right. I think I have a higher tolerance for crappy power metal though - not so much death metal and the like. I'm more likely to write off a DM band entirely if I don't like the vocalist's growls or whatever.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Been listening to the new Summoning as well. I'm not always in the mood of excessive synths, but Summoning scratches that itch like nothing else. Not sure if I like it more than Old Mornings Dawn, but it's damn good nonetheless.
    I love this record. It made me go dig back through all of summoning's stuff. Definitely feels right in the new wave of popularity dungeon synth has been getting lately.

Heh, yeah you're right. I think I have a higher tolerance for crappy power metal though - not so much death metal and the like. I'm more likely to write off a DM band entirely if I don't like the vocalist's growls or whatever.
    I feel the same way. I think this is because it's a lot easier to do bad death metal than it is to do bad power metal. Like anyone can do drop tuned chugs with crappy growls. Power metal has something of a bar of entry (Not saying of course that all power metal is good or performed by great musicians though)
    My Metal Blog

10. - Top - End - #100

First surprise of 2018: The return of Cynic
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

There are many musicians in this thread, therefore I'd like to ask: is anyone still using record labels to get their music out, or are everyone changed into being their own label?
    Last edited by Narmoth; 2018-01-28 at 11:36 AM.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    There are many musicians in this thread, therefore I'd like to ask: is anyone still using record labels to get their music out, or are everyone changed into being their own label?
    Labels are still important to make things happen. I work in the music industry. Feel free to PM me.
    My Metal Blog

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Aaand I'm back. Just came back from the UAE, so that was fun Not a lot of metal, though.

Got the new Arkona yesterday. It's really good. Not a lot of changes since Yav - maybe slightly heavier even. But the vocals are as excellent as always and I've always liked their folky bits. I honestly think this might be one of my albums of the year... we'll see.

Listened to the new Orphaned Land as well. Not quite sure if I like it yet... I'll always compare everything they do to Mabool.

Also Ulver has a new EP out... don't think I knew about it. It's... pretty good I guess. Does't really have that same ethereal quality as Ceasar, which is why they left them out I guess. Oh well, more Ulver is always nice.

14. - Top - End - #104

Also Ulver has a new EP out... don't think I knew about it. It's... pretty good I guess. Does't really have that same ethereal quality as Ceasar, which is why they left them out I guess. Oh well, more Ulver is always nice.
    The sort of sunthpop-y one where they do a cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "The Power of Love"? Unsurprisingly, I loved that! Definitely a different direction from the krautrock-y album before, but it was right up my alley. I hope they do more in that style. Also: welcome back and glad you had a good trip!

As far as labels go, you certainly can make a go of it without easier than you could 20 years ago. If you are good at and/or enjoy the promo and distribution ends of things, staying DIY will keep everything under your creative control, and keep a larger share of income of course. The other side of it is with label support you have access to infrastructure and expertise that you might not otherwise. As a solo artist, I can see the appeal of having some help and/or external perspective.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Listened to the new Orphaned Land as well. Not quite sure if I like it yet... I'll always compare everything they do to Mabool.
    I compare everything they do to Orwarrior, but I'm in a similar boat.

Haven't gotten around to a full listen yet, but first impressions of the songs I've heard were favorable. At the very least, the world seems to have shaken them out of the lazy kumbaya crap from All Is One into something that feels a bit more genuine.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

I really enjoyed it. I mean I haven't really spent time with the band since the last record which BLEW MY MIND for about six months before I put it away for good. That being said, interesting stuff.

Anyone see there will be a Crypt Rot split with Cringe? It's gonna be amazing!
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    The sort of sunthpop-y one where they do a cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "The Power of Love"? Unsurprisingly, I loved that! Definitely a different direction from the krautrock-y album before, but it was right up my alley. I hope they do more in that style. Also: welcome back and glad you had a good trip!
    Yeah, I must say I'm very pleased with Ulver's direction these last couple of albums (Childhood's End excluded, coz I mean... wow). I'd like them to do a bit more dark ambient stuff like Shadows of the Sun and the Silence EPs, but yeah. They can synthpop it up as much as they want, for my money.

Haven't gotten around to a full listen yet, but first impressions of the songs I've heard were favorable. At the very least, the world seems to have shaken them out of the lazy kumbaya crap from All Is One into something that feels a bit more genuine.
    Hah! I wasn't too troubled by All is One - I think of it as their folksy "gimme". But they were due for a return to more hard-hitting stuff.

New Abigor out. It's pretty brutal. Pure old-school black metal, Austrian style.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

A query for the wise heads at this thread:

I think that the old Black Sabbath songs I like qualify, but do any of these songs from an old man's playlist count as "Metal"?

AC/DC

The Creation

The Dictators

Iggy & the Stooges

The MC 5

Motörhead

The Radio Birdman

The Saints

The Stooges

T-Rex

The Yardbirds

What do I call the music then?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Heavy rock, I'd think. Motorhead is basically an honorary metal band. Rest I'm not sure about, but like... psychedelic rock, punk-rock or something?

So SA band Crow Black Sky just released a new album, and I wasn't aware of it at all. I've seen these guys live a couple of times and they're quite something. Kinda spacey atmospheric black metal. The album is Name Your Price on Bandcamp so... you know. No reason not to.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Default What makes it Metal?

Heavy rock, I'd think. Motorhead is basically an honorary metal band. Rest I'm not sure about, but like... psychedelic rock, punk-rock or something?

I'm still pondering what are the qualities that make for "Metäl"

Is Black Sabbath is still considered Metäl?

Because their song

Paranoid (from 1970) does sound (to my ears) a bit like

Breaking the Law by Judas Priest (from 1980), which is usually considered "Metal", but both the songs sound more like

Sonic Reducer by the Dead Boys (from 1980),which is usually considered "Punk" than they do to:

In League With Satan by Venom (from 1981), which is also considered 'Metal", but which sounds to me more like:

T. V.Eye by the Stooges (from 1970) which apparently isn't considered Metal?

When I was a youth, "Hardcore Punk" bands like The Dead Kennedy's would play at Ruthie's Inn, but so would "Thrash Metal" bands like Exodus (but not on the same night), but I'd see some of the same faces in the audience, but they were sartorial differences between the audiences.

What are the audible difference that makes

The Wizard by Black Sabbath Metal, but makes

Whole Lotta Rosie by AC/DC not Metal, and

Ace of Spades by Motöhead just "honorary metal"?
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2018-02-02 at 05:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What makes it Metal?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I

When I was a youth, "Hardcore Punk" bands like The Dead Kennedy's would play at Ruth's Inn, but so would "Thrash Metal" bands like Exodus (but not on the same night), but I'd see some of the same faces in the audience, but they were sartorial differences between the audiences.
    I bet we rubbed shoulders down in the pits in the mid to late 80's. Was there for the last show at The Stone.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Metal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    I bet we rubbed shoulders down in the pits in the mid to late 80's. Was there for the last show at The Stone.

Kinder and gentler times.

Oh wait....

...no, sctually the complete opposite!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I'm still pondering what are the qualities that make for "Metäl"
    Well, this is the age old question. For me, a part of it is about scales. Heavy Rock is usually pentatonic, while metal more often has 8 tone scales. Black Sabbath is by this definition heavy rock, playing mostly blues scales more or less up to the dio-era, when I believe they started more with classical scales due to Dios background

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Well, this is the age old question.....

Much obliged for the response.

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #115

On Friday I played a gig with The God Bombs, an Industrial/Metal trio out of Brooklyn. This Spring they're touring with Ministry. Really solid performers, the lead singer has a punk-meets-shock vibe. Crazy energetic, i'd recommend catching these guys if you can. They have a video for their new single:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEH8DWP9F0U
    They are going blow 2018 Ministry out of the water.

Less metal, more industrial, my friend Jim is putting out volume 5 of his industrial music cancer benefit comp. As always, tons of great artists (I LOVE Stoneburner and Leaether Strip). I have a track on the expanded collector's edition, which will likely be the least industrial thing there.
    http://www.distortionprod.com/electr...-5-remembrance

And not metal at all, I won a remix contest for The Dead Milkmen's last single! I don't do a lot of remix type stuff, so that is an encouraging sign that I could learn to do more, and better. Went for a sort of dark trance-y style thing, and am pleased with how it came out.
    https://www.soundcloud.com/user-3233...ontest/s-5fXFj

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

So I went and saw the first show of the Sabaton/Kreator North American Tour a few days ago from when I post this. I thought I'd give my personal thoughts and opinions as a sort of a review. I also want you all to know that this was my first metal concert.

Exmortus (opening act): Exmortus started right away playing Slave to the Sword and it made a really good opening to the entire night. After that, they did a good job as entertainers and an amazing job especially as guitarists. There was also a decent mosh pit behind me during the whole thing (I was almost at the very front) and everyone had a great time. My only complaint was that the bass drums drowned out the vocals. However, that didn't detract too much from the experience from me, as I never really liked them for their vocals.

Kreator: After the opening act, Kreator came on. Although they did play well, they weren't that good at keeping the crowd engaged. For those who like moshing would have been disappointed, as their mosh pit quickly turned into four or five people running in circles. They played well, but I wasn't really a fan of Kreator to begin with, and it looked like most people weren't either, as most people were wearing Sabaton gear and talked mostly about Sabaton and other power metal bands out in the line. I saw some actually counting minutes until the show was over. I honestly believe it was the weak point of the concert.

Sabaton: Sabaton started by quieting the excited crowd down by slowly playing (offstage) a half of a cover of In the Army Now by Status Quo before exciting the crowd again by running onstage to play Ghost Division. The songs were great, their performance as entertainers was fun to watch (and funny), and the entire crowd (including me) was participating and singing along. I thought almost everything about them was good, although as a Sabaton fan I might be biased. They were just all around rad and a fun end to the night. My only problem was at the beginning there was this weird mood whiplash (Blood of Bannockburn to Cliffs of Gallipoli to Lion of the North to The Final Solution), but maybe that's how it was meant to be, to show that the subjects of their songs weren't fun and games. A disclaimer in a sense.

Anyways, that was my opinion of the Sabaton/Kreator concert (playing in Portland, OR as I write this). If anyone here is planning to go, I would advise you to get ready to have a blast.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Interesting lineup for the concert. I've never heard Exmortus before, but looked them up on youtube. They sound quite good. I think they are an ok pairing with Kreator, however I think Sabaton is far to different from the other two bands. They should in stead have gone for Testament or maybe Amon Amarth. Sabaton I think is a bad match for bands that aren't powermetal or traditional heavy metal.

28. - Top - End - #118

Exmortus is super hit and miss for me. They have some absolutely killer materiel on In Hatred's Flame, but most of their later stuff... eh.

My recent hardcore punk kick (by 'recent' I mean 'ongoing for the past ten years') has inspired thoughts of kicking up a thread similar to this, but for punk. Any thoughts-- would any of you find that worth posting in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    So I went and saw the first show of the Sabaton/Kreator North American Tour a few days ago from when I post this. I thought I'd give my personal thoughts and opinions as a sort of a review. I also want you all to know that this was my first metal concert.
    Cool, I've got a ticket for their montreal show in a few weeks, should be fun based on prior experiences and your review.

Also, in less hardcore news then what a lot of you guys are posting (yes I know I'm sort of basic in my rock/metal tastes, I can live with that), I went to see Stone Sour yesterday, here are my impressions of the 4 bands:

The dead deads were a ton of fun, they were apparently touring with Halestorm 2 days ago and I can see why, they're got the same sort of fun rocker vibe. I bought the tshirt (because cool design and Stone Sour's were kind of lame) and would love to see them again for a longer set.

New year's day were... less good but still fun. Weird but good cover of pantera's ****ing hostile and a few good original songs but overall they didn't blow me away

In this moment... meh. They've got a few good songs IMO but it almost seemed like more effort went into drawing attention to the singer's (admittedly really nice) thighs than in the actual music. Not really my thing, and I feel sort of like when I saw Manson a few years ago that a big elaborate stage show might not be the way to go when you're not headlining since the minute-odd costume changes are really noticeable when your set is pretty short to begin with.

Stone Sour: Corey Taylor is one hell of a showman with or without the mask, and the crowd was putty in his hands. They played a good mix of songs from the new record and older albums (could have used more house of gold and bones IMO) and I am super hoarse this morning from shouting along to at least 3 songs. The music was good and everybody had a fun time, which since apparently Stone Sour's mission statement for the latest album is to make rock fun again I think makes yesterday an unqualified success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

30. - Top - End - #120

My recent hardcore punk kick (by 'recent' I mean 'ongoing for the past ten years') has inspired thoughts of kicking up a thread similar to this, but for punk. Any thoughts-- would any of you find that worth posting in?
    I'd probably pop in every once in a while, though my tastes in punk tend to be pretty old school and/or pop-y, rather than hardcore (and by pop-y, I don't mean like Green Day, I mean more like Bad Religion and SNFU). I'm pretty up on post-punk stuff, both classic (Suicide and Joy Division are two of my favorite bands) and newer (The Soft Moon is a new favorite). That said, music threads other than this one don't seem to stick around much, so you could just talk about punk here, as I often do goth/industrial!