New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

On the topic of dark ambient real quick, could any of y'all recommend a good starting place for the genre? The reviewing site I normally check before diving into a new genre or band doesn't have anything on dark ambient (at least that I could find), and I really don't like just jumping into a genre with no context. Any help would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Best place to start would be Lustmord. Then maybe check the old Cold Meat Industries catalogue. I'm particularly fond of Raison d'être, and his side projects (Necrophorus "Drifting In Motion" is a must-have). Vidna Obmana is amazing. He also used to work with ritual techno band Hybryds, but that's tangenting a bit.

That should keep you busy for a while! There's a lot of crossover with some experimental/noise stuff, as well as goth/industrial, depending on where you want to look next.

3. - Top - End - #183

I'm not sure to what extent these constitute dark ambient (the distinction gets a little blurry for me), but I've heard them mentioned in the same realm as dark ambient, so I would also recommend Maeror Tri (The Beauty of Sadness), Dargaard, Zoviet France, Dark Muse, and Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement. Some of Nadja's and Prurient's stuff edges into that territory as well (though the former is mostly drone/doom).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

4. - Top - End - #184

Enthusiastically seconding Zoviet France. Lots of people also like Rapoon (Robin Storey used to be in ZF), but I was never that crazy about them. Mark Spybey of Dead Voices on Air was also a member for a while. DVOA is great, but more ambient industrial, if we want to get that granular with genres

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Oh man, I haven't heard the name Lustmord in a while. What a throwback. Yeah, Lustmord is excellent.

I'll always recommend Dargaard like Comrade said... shame they never made more. I'll always hold out hope that Tharen gets off his ass and releases another album. Also Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, although we're moving into more darkwave territory there.

There's also some of Ulver's mid-era albums... I'm specifically thinking Shadows of the Sun and Wars of the Roses. Again, a bit more... melodic? than what you expect, but yeah. Great albums.

But if you want to creep yourself out properly, then there's the one and only Elend. Haven't quite heard anything like them before or since.

So... new Midnattsol is out. It's pretty good. Still not quite The Metamorphosis Melody, but that's a special album anyway. Also, now we can add another band to the list who have covered Herr Mannelig. Seems like just about every German band in existence does it.

To my shame, still haven't listened to the new Witch Mountain.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

So... new Midnattsol is out. It's pretty good. Still not quite The Metamorphosis Melody, but that's a special album anyway. Also, now we can add another band to the list who have covered Herr Mannelig. Seems like just about every German band in existence does it.
    How long has it been since they last did a record??? Curious to hear how Ms Kristine does with the gang
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, like 7 years since the last one. It's been a tic.

Well, I mean I love Liv's voice. But she doesn't feature all that much on the album, at least not what I heard. It's mostly Carmen, with a couple of switches here and there. But yeah, fanboy me likes it.

Edit: Okay holy **** the new Witch Mountain is beyond epic. AOTY material for sure.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2018-05-29 at 04:40 AM.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Okay holy **** the new Witch Mountain is beyond epic. AOTY material for sure.
    Glad you dig it! Its a monster for sure. Kayla is on a different level
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

I finally managed to listen to Amorphis' Queen of Time, the whole album. I think it's really good. And the songs sound different from their versions on youtube to me, it might be different quality or something like that, but they sound a lot better, even compared to official 1080p videos. It's been a while since I last really wanted to listen to an album again after listening to it the first time.

Oddly, while they have very different themes, they remind me of Macbeth' Romantic Tragedy's Crescendo, from some 20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #190

So I put out a lathe-cut 7"! This is the first time I've released anything on vinyl, so I'm very excited. Don't sell enough to be able to afford a proper pressing, but found a guy who does reasonably priced lathes, so put together a little limited edition. You can hear it here:
    https://doorsinthelabyrinth.bandcamp...ris-two-ravens
    darkwave, not metal, but anyone who knows celtic folk at all will probably dig my version of Two Ravens (Twa' Corbies) on the b-side!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Why lathe in stead of cd, JoshL?
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

12. - Top - End - #192

Lots of reasons! I'm working on a full length that will be on cd, but it's taking a while, so as a single this gives me something fresh on the merch table until then. My previous ep is on cd, and still sells at shows (music sells better than t-shirts for me right now, which is good), so having something in a different format is good, for variety's sake, and I refuse to do cassettes. I have had people ask for records at shows, and fans always like limited edition things. I also LOVE the art my friend did for the song, and wanted to print it nice and big!

But to be perfectly honest, it's mostly a vanity project. I like the sound of records and have always wanted to release one!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

nice. is there a big difference between ordinary lp and lathe? I have just never encountered the format
    also nice that you sell at shows. I can't find cds on your bandcamp though, so I guess I just assumed you didn't do that format. as for cassette, I have no understanding for that format. then I'd rather sell a box with an usb

14. - Top - End - #194

A regular record is pressed by a metal plate into the vinyl, making for quick mass production. Part of the cost is manufacturing the plates, so most places won't bother with really small runs. Lathes are cut by hand, one at a time, so a small batch is easier to do (and, in fact, preferable, since it takes a long time). There's a whole scene of folks cutting records; some of them experimenting with cutting records into weird surfaces, etc.

For a while I was doing cd fulfillment through cd baby, putting it in amazon, etc. They sold out and are asking me for more, but they want 2 more. It was just me being lazy about fulfillment, but doing the records hasn't been too bad so far, so I might move my cds to bandcamp.

I'd take a poorly labeled cd-r in a plastic bag over cassettes. i don't know why they've made a comeback in certain circles, and will laugh when they are on the way back out!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    A regular record is pressed by a metal plate into the vinyl, making for quick mass production. Part of the cost is manufacturing the plates, so most places won't bother with really small runs. Lathes are cut by hand, one at a time, so a small batch is easier to do (and, in fact, preferable, since it takes a long time). There's a whole scene of folks cutting records; some of them experimenting with cutting records into weird surfaces, etc.
    how is the sound quality on lathe compared to a pressed vinyl?

For a while I was doing cd fulfillment through cd baby, putting it in amazon, etc. They sold out and are asking me for more, but they want 2 more. It was just me being lazy about fulfillment, but doing the records hasn't been too bad so far, so I might move my cds to bandcamp.
    that's nice. well done! I might consider buying if you do a re-run of cds

I'd take a poorly labeled cd-r in a plastic bag over cassettes. i don't know why they've made a comeback in certain circles, and will laugh when they are on the way back out!
    I think it was when vinyl became popular, that people wanted something that would be much more underground and obscure

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

So I put out a lathe-cut 7"! This is the first time I've released anything on vinyl, so I'm very excited. Don't sell enough to be able to afford a proper pressing, but found a guy who does reasonably priced lathes, so put together a little limited edition. You can hear it here:
    darkwave, not metal, but anyone who knows celtic folk at all will probably dig my version of Two Ravens (Twa' Corbies) on the b-side!
    So stoked for you on this! Will jam today!

Some of y'all might be interested in my Dorkscography group on Facebook. We listen to entire discographies of bands we like one day at a time and discuss them. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1020850964732031/

Currently we are working on Sabbath!
    My Metal Blog

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Come back, thread :C

Been on a completely unashamed symphonic metal kick the past week or so. Even the really sparkly cheesy stuff. Love it. Also here's a cover of Skyrim's The Dragonborn Comes from one of the aforementioned cheesy artists.

Also discovered Skyborne Reveries - Australian one-man atmoblack project... which sounds like it should be terrible but it's actually pretty damn good.

Yeah that's pretty good. But I'm also a darkwave fanboy so that's no surprise. I still listen to your cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead fairly regularly

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah that's pretty good. But I'm also a darkwave fanboy so that's no surprise. I still listen to your cover of Bela Lugosi's Dead fairly regularly
    It is indeed an awesome cover!
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #199

I am listening to Auri. It's not metal, but it's Holopainen + that folk guy from E. Forms M. B. + Tuomas's wife, who also did some vocals in Sonata Arctica' Days of Grays. I think it is the best album that he has made since Imaginaerum (I didn't particularly get into Scrooge, and I didn't like EFMB).
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I am listening to Auri. It's not metal, but it's Holopainen + that folk guy from E. Forms M. B. + Tuomas's wife, who also did some vocals in Sonata Arctica' Days of Grays. I think it is the best album that he has made since Imaginaerum (I didn't particularly get into Scrooge, and I didn't like EFMB).
    OOOOOOH!
    Do you know about Kari Reuslatten? Another project Holopainen is involved in
    My Metal Blog

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    OOOOOOH!
    Do you know about Kari Reuslatten? Another project Holopainen is involved in
    Thank you for telling me about her, I had never heard about her! She really has a beautiful voice. I have only checked out her more recent, non-metal stuff, but she used to be in a metal band, if I read correctly? I'll take a look at their work, too.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for telling me about her, I had never heard about her! She really has a beautiful voice. I have only checked out her more recent, non-metal stuff, but she used to be in a metal band, if I read correctly? I'll take a look at their work, too.
    Yeah she sang in formative symphonic metal band The Third and the Mortal, I was never too much of a fan tho
    My Metal Blog

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Any good suggestions for metal bands with a hint of prog? I listen to Symphony X, Savatage, Queensryche (well, sometimes). Dream Theatre haven't been of interest for a long time. So nothing where it's only technical

24. - Top - End - #204

Do you listen to Opeth? You should be listening to Opeth. Though these days they're more a prog band with a hint of metal as opposed to the other way around (and I am okay with that). Speaking of, Porcupine Tree are pretty amazing for darker prog, but not really as hard, so I'm sure others will have some better suggestions.

A friend turned me on to Chthe'ilist, as that their first album had some Legend of Zelda influence (I'm a big fan). Solid riffs, mixed bag solos, maybe a little too relentlessly growly for me to listen to much, but it was fun. However, in the liner notes they specify "no pitch shifting effects were used on the vocals". I can see that being a point of pride in death vocals and all, however, there were a TON of other effects used (which were cool, and some clever sounds too) including some pitch shifts on the delays. Why are you drawing this arbitrary line, and where are you drawing it? If you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have noticed, I'd have said, "hey, cool vocals, neat effects".

Non-metal news, I'm opening up for Autumn next week (90s ethereal goth) and next month, GENE LOVES JEZEBEL!!! The Jay Aston version! Must not fanboy out!!!!

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Any good suggestions for metal bands with a hint of prog? I listen to Symphony X, Savatage, Queensryche (well, sometimes). Dream Theatre haven't been of interest for a long time. So nothing where it's only technical
    Sonata Arctica's Unia album?

26. - Top - End - #206

Post Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

If you like Savatage, I think you'll probably like Morgana Lefay. More on the thrashy side, but the singer is a dead ringer for Jon Oliva's voice, and Grand Materia is just a fantastic album in any case.

I will also second Unia. They're at their best technically while still writing great songs.

Other recommendations include Leprous, a Norwegian band with a very distinctive staccato sound;Haken, a British band that might be compared favorably to early Dream Theater; Soen, who released the best Tool album of 2012, 2014, and 2017; and Pain of Salvation, who combine an ever-evolving sound with highly proficient performances and intensely personal themes, to great effect.

Or of course you could just pick any Ayreon album and look up all the singers on it, that ought to keep you busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Some good suggestions here. However, I'm quite old, and actually know many of the bands suggested (I do hope I don't come of as a pretentious pr*ck). What I'm after is quite melodic stuff, where the prog is not in how many rhythm changes you can put in one song. I'm more of a Magnum than Dream Theatre guy
    Also, before anyone suggests Orphaned Land - know them, l

Do you listen to Opeth? You should be listening to Opeth. Though these days they're more a prog band with a hint of metal as opposed to the other way around (and I am okay with that).
    I started listening to them when they were still more a death metal band. I think I've seen them twice live around Ghost Reveries. They're good, but they're not quite what I'm looking for now. The same goes for Enslaved.

Speaking of, Porcupine Tree are pretty amazing for darker prog, but not really as hard, so I'm sure others will have some better suggestions.
    That's a good suggestion. To bad I've already listened through their stuff. Seen them live as well. They were quite cool. To bad they dissolved. The Steve Wilson stuff is not as interesting in my opinion.

Sonata Arctica's Unia album?
    I was disappointed when it came out, so I don't think that's the way to go for me

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    If you like Savatage, I think you'll probably like Morgana Lefay. More on the thrashy side, but the singer is a dead ringer for Jon Oliva's voice, and Grand Materia is just a fantastic album in any case.
    Thank you, that was a great suggestion. They lack the keys of Savatage, but they're definitively what I'm looking for

Other recommendations include Leprous, a Norwegian band with a very distinctive staccato sound;
    I know them, have followed them a but, but their prog is mostly in the rhythm, and I miss strong melodies

Haken[/url], a British band that might be compared favorably to early Dream Theater;
    Thank you, that was a great suggestion

Pain of Salvation, who combine an ever-evolving sound with highly proficient performances and intensely personal themes, to great effect.
    I tried them out, couldn't quite get into them

Or of course you could just pick any Ayreon album and look up all the singers on it, that ought to keep you busy
    Most of them aren't really prog singers, like you have blind guardians Hansi there. Ayreon is great trough. If anyone know of more bands like that, I'd like to hear about them (style, not having a lot of guests. Avantasia does nothing for me)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Haven't thought about this band in so long! Thank you for bringing them back to my mind.
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #209

Glad I could help some!

Some suggestions that are a little more obscure;
    Ice Age
    Dali's Dilemma
    Children of Nova (The riff starting at :42 in this one is one of my personal all time favorites)
    Most of them aren't really prog singers, like you have blind guardians Hansi there. Ayreon is great trough. If anyone know of more bands like that, I'd like to hear about them (style, not having a lot of guests. Avantasia does nothing for me)
    Perhaps Frameshift would be to your liking. I haven't listened to the album they did with James LaBrie, but this one they did with Sebastian Bach is an album that I come back to over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hi, I can add some lesser known bands

There's Junius, apparently more post-metal than prog, but it fits. Helps that it's an amazing album all round anyway.

Also Need, a sort of Scenes From a Memory-type prog (from back when Dream Theater was still good )

Also Anneke van Giersbergen's side projects: Vuur, her solo project, and the collab with Arjen Lucassen The Gentle Storm. Both excellent.

Sunburst, prog-power, kinda like if Kamelot went prog (the guy sounds exactly like Tommy whatsisface).

There's Myrath, Tunisian prog with a Middle Eastern flavour. No real parallels to Orphaned Land except for the Middle-Eastern-ness.

Arcane is now sadly disbanded, but the couple of albums that they put out is amazing. Jim Grey has a heavenly voice. And speaking of which, his other band, Caligula's Horse, is just as good, albeit not really metal. Still definitely worth a listen though.

And then, possibly my favourite band in the world than no-one has ever heard of, is Shadow Gallery. Metal with a bit of a classical side, amazing musicianship and delicate vocals. Great band, but they're not really a touring band so they're a bit off everyone's radar.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2018-08-13 at 04:52 AM.