New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Metal thread IX: Metal To The Pedal To The Other Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    Cool. Unfortunately I'm trying to limit the buying of new guitars (saving for an amp) as I have more guitars than I'm using (I really just use one guitar live, and then a backup)
    Heh, I hear ya :) the main reason I want to sell the things is so I can keep building 'em, and I don't need that many :D

What Amp are you looking for?
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2018-10-10 at 01:21 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Whoracle View Post
    Heh, I hear ya :) the main reason I want to sell the things is so I can keep building 'em, and I don't need that many :D

What Amp are you looking for?
    I tried the Mesa Mark V25 this summer at rock hard, and I've been wanting one ever since. they're terribly expensive though
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Immortal Guardian rip - is it just me or is the power metal scene better than ever, just hidden?
    Well, I just found out that Crimfall exist, and, apparently, they have been around for ten years... I really like their female voice (Helena Haaparanta).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Well Hello, Metalthread!

For the guitarists out there:

Last year I built
    Spoiler: my first guitar: Jessica
    Show

Well, that was fun, so now I'm building four new ones. The first two are about 40% done and vaguely presentable at this point:

Spoiler: Victoria
    Show

Spoiler: Violet
    Show

Just wanterd to brag share :D
    these are badass. thanks for sharing whoracle!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    In other news: MASTER BOOT RECORD NEW ALBUM
    Yeah I'm pretty much fully addicted to this now. Great find. The new album is great, but a bit... short? Oh well

For the guitarists out there:
    Yeah those are proper awesome. Good job, dude! The wood you're using... it looks a bit like reclaimed wood? That's pretty cool. Either way, the patterns are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Well, I just found out that Crimfall exist, and, apparently, they have been around for ten years... I really like their female voice (Helena Haaparanta).
    Yeah, Crimfall are great. Vocals are amazing but the songwriting is pretty great by itself. Helena actually quit the band a while back, before the new album. They got her back though

In other news; I just found out there's a new Thrawsunblat album coming out tomorrow. Didn't hear anything about this before! This is awesome news.

Also I just got the new Vreid album. Big fan of the band, and yeah this is a good album.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Yeah those are proper awesome. Good job, dude! The wood you're using... it looks a bit like reclaimed wood? That's pretty cool. Either way, the patterns are great.
    Those two are Black Korina, the V has a bog oak top.
    Two other ones I'm currently making are from reclaimed oak, one with oak from old wine barrels as a top.

I'll post some pics once they get further along, in a week or two.

7. - Top - End - #247

So... Exit Eden. I listened to the album today, and I really liked it. It's a lot of mainstream music covers by a metal all-women supergroup. I think that it's far better than what I have heard of e.g. Northern Kings. They didn't choose only songs I like, though, but that's the only minus.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #248

Nice work, haiduk! And Whoracle, those guitars are awesome, if/when I get cash for a new instrument, I will be in touch!

I found, in a used record store, Rabbits' Hill, Pt. 2 by Trick or Treat. I had never heard of it, but for $2 it appeared to be a Watership Down concept album (which I am mildly obsessed with and have my own series of tracks inspired by the Black Rabbit of Inlé). As it turns out, it's an Italian power metal Watership Down concept album and I didn't realize how much I needed exactly that in my life. I wish it was a little better though, some of those leads are sloppy AF.

In geekier and less metal news, I'm on a comp of songs based on stories from the Transformers comics. All newer stories, except my song, because I'm old. Mostly EBM/Electro-industrial, but my track is a bit more maudlin synthpop/goth (of course). This is not the geekiest thing I've done this year. I also did a Final Fantasy 7 cover, and working on a Zelda theme for a fan dub project. Life is awesome. Anyway:
    https://distortionprod.bandcamp.com/...ructed-cold-ep

9. - Top - End - #249

So... Exit Eden. I listened to the album today, and I really liked it. It's a lot of mainstream music covers by a metal all-women supergroup. I think that it's far better than what I have heard of e.g. Northern Kings. They didn't choose only songs I like, though, but that's the only minus.
    Eh, better than Northern Kings, but still super generic and bad, IMHO. Just too casting band. They did videos for a lot (all?) of the songs, and all are the same, shot on the same location, no connection to the songs, just so they could show off the girls. The vocal performances are a mixed bag, too, and overall it just reeks of cash grab, not of passion for the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    [...]And Whoracle, those guitars are awesome, if/when I get cash for a new instrument, I will be in touch!
    Take your time, I'm not going to sell outside of driving distance until I know I can get the fretboards to decently playable shape without the customer testing every few days, so at least another 5 guitars or so. Let's call it a year, at the earliest :D

I found, in a used record store, Rabbits' Hill, Pt. 2 by Trick or Treat. I had never heard of it, but for $2 it appeared to be a Watership Down concept album (which I am mildly obsessed with and have my own series of tracks inspired by the Black Rabbit of Inlé). As it turns out, it's an Italian power metal Watership Down concept album and I didn't realize how much I needed exactly that in my life. I wish it was a little better though, some of those leads are sloppy AF.
    Ooooh, gotta listen to that one.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I have.... so many questions
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

11. - Top - End - #251

Back to power metal...

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't know if I should think it's great or horrible.... Will check it out though

edit: I've watched some of their videos. I feel that the music, the lyrics and the videos with text don't match very well. it's almost like the whole idea of using Watership Down came as an afterthought for the videos, rather than being present when the music and lyrics were written
    Last edited by Narmoth; 2018-11-13 at 05:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Back to power metal...

i....wish i could look away....

Sooooo
    year end lists?
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #254

I'm never great with year end lists, but it seems this year has been a lot of stuff I liked, even liked a lot, but very little that actually blew me away. Except the new Current 93 (The Light Is Leaving Us All), but that's pretty far from metal.

15. - Top - End - #255

Man, I really haven't listened to much new metal this year-- not much I can really say was the cream of the crop, anyway. I mean, Mamaleek's new album is pretty phenomenal, but they've excised most of the black metal influence of their older albums, and Andrew WK's new record has skyrocketed to one of my favourite albums in general, but that's also not really metal.

I guess the new Revocation was alright, though it still suffers from the problem every album they've ever put out has suffered from, which is that it has a couple of really good songs and the rest is just filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

Bought 38 new albums this year so far, so I've clearly liked a fair amount (about double that in older/non-2018 albums... seems about general to me).

For this year, there was definitely some new bands that really impressed me. Of older bands, not a lot were stand-out but many were quite solid, delivering expected quality.

My favourites in no real order:

Firtan - Okeanos: German melodic black metal. Amazing album; the band sounds a bit like Mondstille, another firm favourite of mine. Definitely worth a listen.

Summoning - With Doom We Come: a continuation of Old Mornings Dawn, and everything I've hoped for. Top-tier Summoning.

Sinistro - Sangue Cassia: Sort of gothy doom metal, I've been keeping my eye on them since Semente. Amazing vocals and I'm sure they're gonna do great things.

Messa - Feast For Water: jazzy doom metal with great vocals. Another band I'm keeping my eye on.

Prag 83 - Fragments of Silence: kinda dark folk / neo-folk? Not really metal but it's a great, fairly unknown band. Smooth music and effortless vocals. I've listened to this probably more than anything else this year.

Witch Mountain - Witch Mountain: Man... I didn't expect this, but this one might be my favourite album of theirs yet. Loved the band with Uta, and I'm loving it with Kayla. Proper old school bluesy doom.

Elvellon - Until Dawn: surprisingly good power metal.. they sound a bit like old-school Nightwish and that's not a bad thing.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #257

Prag 83 - Fragments of Silence: kinda dark folk / neo-folk? Not really metal but it's a great, fairly unknown band. Smooth music and effortless vocals. I've listened to this probably more than anything else this year.
    Oh, man, this is fantastic! Sort of Pentangle, sort of New Model Army. Absolutely the sort of thing I love!

18. - Top - End - #258

Because apparently Watership Down metal is now my niche, here's another: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyKxSMFUNI
    Proggier, but striving for more rock than metal, so the weaknesses are less obvious. They're not reaching for the harmonized power metal solos that Trick or Treat are, but that means they're not flubbing them either. That said, doesn't hit the same emotional depth. The Trick or Treat song where Hazel meets the Black Rabbit of Inlé? Makes me cry every damn time.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    Sooooo
    year end lists?
    Probably Auri, Beastland, Return of the Cosmic Men, and Queen of Time were the albums from this year that I will remember the most.

Return of the Cosmic Men is the happiest metal I have ever heard since Sonata Arctica's cover of Still Loving You, and it's actually well made. There are some points where rhymes and assonance completely overtake the songs (Up to the sun / Where love shines bright / The soul of human kind / Diamond in the open skies / Still we are free / So proud to be / Alive in harmony / We've found our way to live in a shining unity) and you expect things to devolve into "she's as nice as apple pie", but it's undeniably exhilarating. Uh oh, that's actually from 2017.

Beastland by Master & Punisher is industrial metal. I can't understand a word, but I really like it, and it's evident that there is a lot beneath the sounds at an intellectual level. Later, it turned out that the author is actually an engineer and sculptor that makes his own machines and equipment. http://www.tristanshone.com/portfolio/trachea-quad-mic/

Auri and Queen of Time are albums that IMO offer a bit too much of the same. I am not fully convinced that Queen of Time is better than Under the Red Cloud, and the songs sound less distinguishable in Queen of Time to me. It is, however, still an undeniably good album. Auri is memorable even just for the first song (The Space Between). I don't think it's really metal, but Holopainen calls it celestial metal, so whatevs.

I had been turned away from Elvellon by descriptions of them as a Nightwish clone, but they objectively aren't that. They don't even try to imitate Holopainen's bombastic approach. I like Until Dawn.

The Blind leading the Blind by 1914 is also good, albeit somewhat too full of materials that aren't part of the songs.

I only could listen to the Psalter Of The Royal Dragon Court once, but it sounded very good.

20. - Top - End - #260

No End of Year list from me, but progress on the guitars. I didn't have the time to work on them until last week, but now they're being oiled up. I expect them to be finished before New Year's Eve.

Spoiler: Victoria
    Show

Spoiler: Violet
    Show

And this one is for the customer. He plays in a Pirate Metal Band (The Privateer, and thus it's a bit more rustic :)
    If the first one is to his liking I'll build another one for the second guitarist and a bass in the same style as well.
    Spoiler: Pelagia
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

It must be pretty cool, seeing the stuff you made used on the stage!

Has anyone heard of Ayreon? I have listened to The Source and 01011001, they're some great metal operas, featuring a lot of different artists, among which Floor Jansen.

Also, any opinion on the Ferrymen?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Has anyone heard of Ayreon? I have listened to The Source and 01011001, they're some great metal operas, featuring a lot of different artists, among which Floor Jansen.
    Yes, great band. My favorite is the Universal Migrator album

Also, any opinion on the Ferrymen?
    I have to admit that while they are good, they just don't write songs that I find interesting. all the parts are there, but the sum of it is still kind of bland

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah I know Ayreon - Arjen is a great musician but I think I like his other projects more... specifically The Gentle Storm with Anneke van Giersbergen.

For metal operas I stay with Avantasia

As for Elvellon... yeah, the Nightwish description probably isn't fair, but I was definitely thinking more Angels Fall First era, back when they were more understated.

Meanwhile I'm hooked (again) on Samsara Blues Experiment - a German psychedelic/stoner band that honestly blows my brain. Of all the recent "retro" bands, they are one that just seems so... authentic. Dunno what it is but I really like it.
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2019-01-07 at 11:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Meanwhile I'm hooked (again) on Samsara Blues Experiment - a German psychedelic/stoner band that honestly blows my brain. Of all the recent "retro" bands, they are one that just seems so... authentic. Dunno what it is but I really like it.
    You might also like Vintage Caravan and Blues Pills

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Multiple friends and other sources recommended the Mongolian metal band The Hu to me recently. They have two songs on their YouTube channel. I was not disappointed.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6vRDdkZ8bP8Xt6WHbvrwA

I like Yuve Yuve Yu a bit more than Wolf Totem.
    Last edited by gomipile; 2019-01-08 at 11:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266

If you like The Hu, definitely check out Tennger Cavalry! And Whoracle, that grain on Violet is astounding! What a beautiful piece of wood!

I went to a "best of 2018 goth/industrial" club night last weekend, and they played one of my songs! I'm sure in part because I'm a local guy, but still very flattering! People were dancing and it was neat! On a more metal note, next week I'm opening up for a new local doom outfit, On Love and Sublimation https://onloveandsublimation.bandcamp.com/ I love opening for bands that are much heavier than me!

Oh, and got Iron Maiden tickets for this summer, so I can check that one off the bucket list!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narmoth View Post
    You might also like Vintage Caravan and Blues Pills
    Oh hey, those two aren't bad, thanks!

And for something a bit heavier there's also Stoned Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Multiple friends and other sources recommended the Mongolian metal band The Hu to me recently. They have two songs on their YouTube channel. I was not disappointed.
    Oh yeah they popped up on my YT recommendations a while back... not bad at all. I'm interested to see if they go any heavier, but I like the folky bits.

I went to a "best of 2018 goth/industrial" club night last weekend, and they played one of my songs! I'm sure in part because I'm a local guy, but still very flattering! People were dancing and it was neat! On a more metal note, next week I'm opening up for a new local doom outfit, On Love and Sublimation https://onloveandsublimation.bandcamp.com/ I love opening for bands that are much heavier than me!
    That's really cool! Looks like you've got it going on

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by haiduk View Post
    Thanks for checking it out!

New HAIDUK album - Exomancer (2018). Dark melodic black metal.

“[Haiduk’s] strong point has always been his riffs, and here they just destroy.”
    -Bravewords

“The album is solid, with truly unique and mesmerizing progressions of chords and lead work piled high.”
    -Contaminated Tones

“A nightmarish journey that reveals one chilling, hallucinatory vision after another.”
    -No Clean Singing

“Laced with intricate diversions into an almost hypnotic, tremolo-world of ever undulating riff patterns.”
    -Worship Metal

"[Haiduk] has perfected his own signature style and very few bands are doing this style."
    -Metal-Rules

“Haiduk has written, recorded and produced an epic album in ‘Exomancer’. The sound quality is great and it has character, which is difficult to find.”
    -This Noise Is Ours

“Sinister, spiralling, atonal and dark, ‘Exomancer’ is going to be an underrated gem from 2018.”
    -The Killchain
    Haven't you been a band for a while? I feel like I wrote about you a long time ago..

Also sorry I dipped out for a while there guys. Just off bein' evil and ****
    My Metal Blog

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

So, there's a new Within Temptation album out, and... it's not super great.

Also new Gloryhammer album coming out. That ought to be good. Or at least... amazingly cheesy

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

So, there's a new Within Temptation album out, and... it's not super great.

Also new Gloryhammer album coming out. That ought to be good. Or at least... amazingly cheesy
    So is it just me who didnt' realize how big that band is? Way bigger than I ever expected... playing some pretty impressive venues in america

also v hype on new gloryhammer
    My Metal Blog