Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Good system for 'fuzzy-woodland-creatures-with-magic'?

So my siblings want me to run an RPG for them that involves essentially the above concept, using creatures at a similar level to those of books like Redwall and The Tale of Despereaux in terms of resemblence to humans--still capable of using armor and weapons, but still definitely mice/otters/etc.

Furthermore, however, they also want a relatively high degree of magic worked in.

Does anyone know of a good system to pull something like this off?
    So far I can think of:

--D&D 3.5 using heavily modified Hengeyokai or the Awaken spell, though this sounds too cumbersome for everything except magic systems.

--Something extremely rules-light such as FATE, though I don't know how to work magic in.

Rules-light is better, but not absolutely necessary.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Good system for 'fuzzy-woodland-creatures-with-magic'?

Anthropomorphic Creature rules from Savage Species, plus careful research to find out which creatures that aren't actually statted, have approximations, could work.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I recommend Savage World's, it has an easy Race Maker, it's magic system is solid, and it's easy to play. Otherwise just use FATE and just make Magic a skill
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think Mouse Guard has much magic, but it might be possible to add in.

There's also Ironclaw, but I don't know how much adaptation that would need for the specifics.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what book availability is like, but this is exactly what Talislanta was made for. There's also the usual batch of generics (Fudge, Fate, Savage Worlds, Cortex, GURPS, HERO), although I'd avoid the last two if you want something on the rules light end. Magic systems are around for all of these, with the lighter systems generally having several if you're willing to dig around a bit.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You might consider a modified D&D, with some common-sense new race design, based on the species description, and then somewhat balanced.

Let the players help with race design.

-------

I would use Hero System. Some people don't like the arithmetic involved in character creation. I don't find it onerous, but some people do.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Bunnies and Burrows is a real thing.

Mouse Guard lacks magic, but it's also derived from Burning Wheel, which has a magic system you can import.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Consider Blue Rose, which has magical talking animals as a well-supported default character option.

EDIT: I recommend using the weasel rules for foxes, which are strangely absent.
    Last edited by BayardSPSR; 2017-08-23 at 05:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Tri-Stat dX actually has prewritten rules and a setting for exactly this. I think it comes in their d4 range. I unfortunately forget the name.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Note: Fate is not rules-light, unless you're using Fate Accelerated. It's just rules-different.

If you're used to D&D, the absolute easiest system would be to just use it, but reskin the races. Halflings are mice. Dwarves are badgers. Humans are rabbits. Elves are squirrels. Half-orcs are the big, strong moles.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Note: Fate is not rules-light, unless you're using Fate Accelerated. It's just rules-different.

If you're used to D&D, the absolute easiest system would be to just use it, but reskin the races. Halflings are mice. Dwarves are badgers. Humans are rabbits. Elves are squirrels. Half-orcs are the big, strong moles.
    And badgers are DMPCs!
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    This bumps into some issues regarding size, where there's not enough variety there to cover the range of fuzzy woodland creatures well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    I don't think Mouse Guard has much magic, but it might be possible to add in.
    Mouse Guard is very story-heavy and rules-light, you could easily add magic to the skill list without any trouble. Most of your skills are vague 'specialties' as it is, the game encourages story-telling more than actual mechanics. I also enjoy the setting quite a bit.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KarlMarx View Post
    So my siblings want me to run an RPG for them that involves essentially the above concept, using creatures at a similar level to those of books like Redwall and The Tale of Despereaux in terms of resemblence to humans--still capable of using armor and weapons, but still definitely mice/otters/etc.

Furthermore, however, they also want a relatively high degree of magic worked in.

Does anyone know of a good system to pull something like this off?
    Pugmire just came out. dogs with medieval technology, idealistic setting, though while it has magic that looks like magic, its technically highly advanced post-apocalyptic technology, but really whats the difference since it basically functions like magic anyways? while it has references to Man as these godlike holy precursors they worship, there is no hard mechanical thing for that or the advanced tech, nor is it intended to look like advanced tech at least not always, so you can refluff it however you like.
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".