A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Chronicles of the Oxley Manor (Year 943 - Year of the Crow)

When the courier entered the tavern, everybody looked at him. He handed Elden the letter and for a moment it looked like time had stopped.

The letter bore a seal and insignia of King Osric the Magnanimous, fourth of his name. There was no doubt.

Later that night, you all sat around table, listening to Elden. He was recalled back home his step-uncle, family mostly by name, was dead. And for some reason, he decided to leave all his belongings to Elden. He was supposed to take over his manor and his estate.

Home. The resting place of Elden's ancestors, as well as home to some of you.

You all agreed. The decision has been passed.

You collected your belongings, sold what could not be transferred...

...and rode to the Oxley Manor.

That was four weeks ago. The travel was rather uneventful - the roads of the kingdom were mostly safe. At least in these parts - the civilized parts.

As your travel neared its end, they started hearing the rumors. About the manor.

Bandits in the woods.

Monsters in the hills.

Hell-hole in the manor.

Devil-worshipping lord, master of dark magic, sacrifices, mysterious deaths...

It was three days before end of Coldmoon, when then they finally reached the border stone. It was evening, with sun slowly setting, bathing the whole area in its gentle rays.

In front of them a valley opened, a lush green valley covered mostly by dense emerald forest, cut by a wide river in the middle, flowing graciously towards the sea in distance. The stormy clouds provided a dramatic backdrop which highlighted the manor - a large, stone villa, surrounded by three circles of fortifications, standing on the reef. It reminded them of bird of prey - watching the surroundings, looking for danger.

And danger there was. At least from what the people said...

There were no lights in the manor. Little wonder, considering how the people they met spoke about it.

The village of Argellon stood below the manor, near the sea. It was a small, but picturesque village, consisting mostly of wooden longhouses. Four buildings stood apart even in the dusk - the mill, the smithy, the tavern and one large, stone house. The houses were simple in their style - but the locals were known to decorate them intensively both with small painted runes and results of their work.

The air was still cold, especially with sea breeze, and smelled of winter - but it slowly promised return of summer.

This was your future home. This was the Oxley Manor and the estate.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Welcome to the Manor Chronicles!

Please, introduce your character. Feel free to show-off. You are now standing at the border stone, atop a hill, looking at the wonderfully beautiful, dangerous land that you are now masters of.

When everybody introduces themselves, we'll ride to the village . There are people waiting for you there.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Chronicles of the Oxley Manor (Year 943 - Year of the Crow)

Elija Elston, the Scoundrel

I get off the horse to stretch my legs, eager to go down, as Crown, my crow, takes the air to fly a bit.
    "Boss, we live in a villa! It's awesome! Sure, paying heed to the rumors makes it look like demon live inside it, but who cares!
    Come on come on come on let's go already! There'll be ale and fair maidens and treasures and dances and music and..."
    I keep going on while looking around, enjoying the view.
    "Do you think there will be dragons? Trolls? All kinds of beasts? Angry fathers? Well, there will surely be angry fathers..." I say, trying to not laugh at the thought.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2017-09-01 at 04:38 PM.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Elden barely hears what the scoundrel is saying. With a lump in his throat he tries to put words to his thoughts, and mumbles something unintelligibly at first.

He tries to hide his discomfort - that pit in his stomach that has him second-guessing his decision to leave behind a simple life and take on this mountain of responsibility.

But then he composes himself, somehow resolute, and the giant of a man, who fully accepts the nickname "Ox", stands tall overlooking the estate and town.

The ale will flow, but so will our determination to restore this land to its true glory. Whatever challenges lie ahead, we will face them together.

My friends, do not look upon me as your boss. I may be in charge here, but rest assured, I'm here to serve as much as I'm here to lead.

Now, let's head in, and tonight we will raise a glass to our futures at Oxley Manor!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Fredrick gives Eden smile and tries in vain to stifle a yawn. He appreciated the speech and humbleness his friend had. But the days of riding had made his but sore and his longing for a real bed intense.
    "Hey Ox we're going to stay the night at the inn right I don't think it would do us much good trying to find the bedrooms in that manor if we can't see two feet in front of us."
    Fredrick was well aware of how tired the others and Eden were. Fredrick was also hankering for a game not much fun playing cards against the same people day after day.
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2017-09-02 at 10:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neiman listens with affection to what his new Lord says. Of course, he'd known before they started off that Ox wasn't one for "M'lord"s and such, but such he was regardless.

At Frederick's comment, he smiles.
    "I gotta agree with Frederick, Ox. It could be a good chance to show the people, or try to show 'em, that you're different from your uncle. Buying a round can go a long way to make people like you."

Some fear traces into his tone as he adds, "And if half the rumors we've heard are true... Nay, even a sliver, I'd rather explore our new house in the daylight."

OOC note: in armor. Even if fatigue would make it unreasonable for the majority of the trip, he'd want to be armored as we near the ex-realm of a dark sorcerer
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-09-03 at 08:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

As the sun slowly glided towards the horizon, they watched as first lights appeared in the village - the large house, as well as the tavern, were first with lights in their windows. They still could reach either the village or the manor in time, before sun disappeared into the sea.

They watched the villagers - small figures in distance - drift towards their houses, or towards the tavern. In front of the tavern they noticed also a large, black carriage. It clearly did not belong there.

And then they noticed it. A single light in the manor.

Show

@JeenLeen: No fatigue for the armour now - however, normally it will make you fatigued faster.

We'll ignore it for now.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lizardfolk

Fredrick looks at the manor a deep uneasiness starts to rise in his heart. Whatever rumors the people spoke of they had to come from somewhere and it looks like something in fact still inhabited the manor. Whether it was a ghost or the local homeless however still remained to be seen. Despite the light or because of it his desire to acquire a bed for the night and sleep in comfort doubled.
    "Umm hey Ox if you want to I can go book us a couple of rooms at the inn if you guys want to go check out the manor. It looks like it might be some pad foot probably."
    He smiles hoping Elden will let him go to the inn but he knows he's probably going to get dragged into whatever strangeness was going on at the manor.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh... there's a light there. Maybe it's a ghost? Let's go see!" I say, jumbing back on the horse.
    "Or maybe it's a group of monsters! I can already see us fighting blade-and-tooth against some horrible creature..."

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neiman looks visibly perturbed at the light in the manor. He starts to speak, at first not confidently.

"...well, at least a light in the manor probably means a living thing in it, so something that we should be able to handle. Could be an old steward or some one who decided to stay around, after all.

That wagon looks foreboding. Could be someone trying to step in in your land before you get here. It doesn't look like it belongs to the village folk.
    "

Looking between the wagon and the manor, he continues, "Well, Ox, you're the lord here, so I reckon it's your call. But my vote is to make sure your people are okay with whoever owns that wagon. If someone is crashing in our new home, we can handle them tomorrow as easily as today."

He takes off his helmet and stares at the manor, trying to place in his mind exactly which window has the light in it.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but I think Orienteering could be used to try to mark the location in his mind, so we can investigate it better tomorrow.

Perception @ TN 6
    (4d10)[1][8][7][6](22)
    Or if it's MA... well, same number of dice, so same result.

10. - Top - End - #10

Ox looks back from the light in the manor, his gaze fixing on the wagon and the inn.

We seem to be one head short of our expected group here. First, we wait for the last of our companions.

Once he is here, I'm in agreement with Neiman regarding our immediate concern. For me personally, that will always be the people - so let's address whatever is happening at the inn, and if we still have time, the manor after.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There were now three sources of light observable in the manor.

The one that moved in the manor, on second floor.

A large fire on the second courtyard - they could see only the reflection of the flames, but they could definitely tell, that there was a large campfire, or bonfire.

And third one... several small fires, outside the manor. Right below the outer fortifications. They could also see figures moving around there - people.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"...boss? There are A LOT of people at the manor apparently. And many lights" I say, looking at the manor, thinking.
    "Shouldn't one of us pick me pick me pick me go check? What if they're trying to torch it down to the ground!? We know the bad reputation of this place" I keep saying as I take my things from my horse, thinking how to get there if they tell me not to.

13. - Top - End - #13

Ox considers the new turn of events and his companion' swords thoughtfully.

Perhaps you are right, and that means we would need to split up. Take two with you - I will take whoever remains with me to the inn. Send for me if there is trouble.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"He, alright, leave it to us!" I say, looking up at Frederick and Neiman.
    "Here's the plan, let's approach until a certain distance the I'll go silently to spy what are they up to. Any thoughts?" I say, waiting for them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Can we go there on foot or is it better on horse?

To clarify: my plan is to approach the manor then either Elija or Neiman goes Sneaky to observe. Then we decide what to do, either going back or try to talk. I hope we don't have to fight already, especially since it looks like there are many people.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2017-09-07 at 07:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Fredrick quickly realizing he could get out of investigating the strange mob replies "Well if you and the others are going to go investigate we better start on our end then right Ox?" He looks to Elden hoping he would agree.
    Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2017-09-08 at 08:44 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neiman nods and puts his helmet back on. With a heavy sigh, he says, "This is not the welcome I had hoped for. I fear someone is trying to attack our home, or perhaps some bandits have claimed it. So, yeah, let's take a look. I'm not the best scout, but I've had to sneak some in my days. I can do it if neither of you feel more comfortable.

Well, m'lord, I wish you luck at the inn. We'll send word if we find ill intent
    ."

Show

I have sneak at TN 8, but I'm not sure what to use? Agility? lacco, feel free to roll for me if needed.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

11th of Spiritfeast
    Quartus (Fourth day of the week)
    Village of Argellon

The ride through forest was rather pleasant - the lush green pine trees, whose colour was even more pronounced on the remnants of snow, lined the road, along with barren branches of the deciduous trees. It took them half hour to get near the village, and even from here it looked picturesque.

The buildings were mostly wooden, but skilfully decorated in the northern fashion. The mill's wheel rotated, pushed by the fast-flowing river. As they came closer to the village, they noticed also second mill, closer to the sea. This one was propelled by wind, and though there was a breeze, its arms did not move for some reason. The whole area looked a bit abandoned, with overgrowth reaching the lower windows of the mill.

They passed both mills, and rode over the wooden bridge, enjoying last rays of the jagged winter sun. Spiritfeast only had thirteen days - and was considered to be most unlucky month in the whole year, but also month during which respects were paid to the dead. They both witnessed a large procession in Caer Yahlar, so they considered their "debts" to the dead paid for this year, and the obligatory holiday that was set on seventh day of the month was in the past already. Next month, Warmbreeze, was different - it was considered to be a beginning of new spring, new life, and thirty-three days. It only had one holiday - at the end of the month - but it was considered to be one of the most work-heavy months for the peasants.

The village was silent - people were already inside their houses, enjoying whatever meal they had, when they entered the village. They rode through the main street - which was the only "street", towards the town square - a ring, surrounded by the "better" houses. Someone must have noticed them - suddenly, they heard a female gasp, followed by sound of window shutters being slammed shut.

As they neared the ring, they noticed several men, who left the inn - two of them looked like locals. First was a tall, burly man with short, brush-like hair and wide chin, with cheeks like bulldog. He wore a simple, but well-made tunic, and long necklace with wooden symbol of coin - a symbol of reeve's office. The other was a woman - slender, not very tall, with dark, reddish hair, worn in ponytail. She wore green long tunic, with a broad dagger at her belt, and had the ageless look of mature woman. While the reeve looked at the newcomers with wide, unsure grin, she looked at them as if she challenged them to try something.

The other two men were apparently the owner of the black carriage and his bodyguard. The fat man with pig-like eyes and warts over his face wore several rings on his sausage-like fingers - and wore the same insignia on his clothes as the carriage did - insignia of king Osric. The other man was tall and strong, and stood there with the certainty of someone who can just call for more of his kind. He wore a surcoat with royal insignia, and carried a bared greatsword over his shoulder.

The woman and reeve wielded torches - it was getting dark fast - but as Elden and Fredrick approached, it was the fat man, who called on them, with deep, surprisingly firm voice.

"Who approaches? Keep your hands visible and tell us your names - for you stand in the presence of king's servants!"

Outside Oxley Manor

The manor looked different when the sun touched the sea - the firm, strong walls, interspersed with defensive towers turned into tall, jagged teeth. The Manor itself looked like a monster - waiting for them, bidings its time, watching them.

They felt as if something watched them in the darkness. At first they moved fast, their horses covered most of the distance - but then, as they approached the manor, the steep slope made them dismount, and lead their horses.

Finally, they stood below the manor. As they walked up the slope, they noticed the sun was setting faster than expected - winter's breath was still there and it shortened the days. If they decided to go to the village, or if Elden and Fredrick wanted to join them, they would have to use torches.

With horses bound safely to a tree, they moved towards the first group - the group outside. It was not hard to come close - the people did not seem to care to post guards. Their camp hosted around five full families - it looked like pilgrims, or refugees, but still - they were trespassing.

Elija and Neiman sneaked towards the main gate, trying to stay in the shadows - it was interesting to watch the ironclad Neiman to move slowly, methodically picking where he places his feet, staying away from the light of the fires - and Elija had the first seat to watch it. He himself was able to stay in shadows as they both moved into ideal position to watch the gate to he first defensive circle.

It was a surprise - the gate was open, but the portcullis was down. They had to get there some different way - but it gave Elija opportunity to assess the intruders. Vagrants - several individuals in ragged clothes sat around a large bonfire, trying to warm themselves. There was a pyramid of spears between the two tents. Elija counted four men. Neiman three.

And then they both noticed a shadow that separated from a wall, next to portocullis. Another one - a guard. But it seemed he did not notice them.

18. - Top - End - #18

Lizardfolk

Fredrick pulled his horse to a stop not wanting to antagonize the blubbering fat man. Who knew who he had to eat in order to put on girth like that.
    In all seriousness though he knew not to antagonize the people with money..., and swords. Never antagonize the people with swords and money. He called out "Hello I'm Fredrick I come in peace and am looking for a bed for the night.". He hoped that alone would quell the man's paranoia.

19. - Top - End - #19

Elden approaches with no hint of threat in his motions. Even so, for a man of his size and stature, this is difficult.

My name is Elden Oxley, and I swear fealty to King Osric as well. I am the inheritor of the local manor, and I mean nothing but good intent for you and the people here.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I look at Neiman, eyeing the guard near us.
    "They... are just refugees? Aside from the lost hype, I'd say to leave them be. Surely the boss would do the same... But. I'm interested in talking with the stationed guard" I whisper, turning back.
    "Let's retrace our steps, I wouldn't want to alarm him or her because he sees two guys come out of a bush. Besides, you and your clingy armor are beautiful too watch when you move all silently... hehehe"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neiman nods at his companion's opening words, emitting a quiet chuckle at the end.

He whispers, "Yeah. bandit families don't travel like this. Assuming they're not criminals, maybe Ox would like to take them on as staff. Talking to the guard sounds good."

He begins to retrace his steps.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

11th of Spiritfeast (Quartus)
    Village of Argellon

The sun completed its travels for the day, as it gently sunk into the sea - leaving only reddish strip of sky below the blanket of clouds. Night approached quickly.

At first, the fat man looked angered by Fredrick's informal greeting - but as soon as Elden spoke, he seemed rather pleased.

"Ah, finally! Lord Oxley, allow me to introduce my companion and myself. This is ser Orzalo of Mirnley Hall, who is here to serve as a witness. And I am Rachest Mallorian, a notary of King Osric, as well as your servant." Both of them bowed, but not too deep.
    "I have been sent here to settle the will of your step-uncle. Please, follow me inside - I understand that you are tired, but I would like to leave this... " he left a word hanging in the air for a moment. "...charming village to get back to my office as soon as possible." he bowed again, stepping inside.

The reeve approached Oxley as soon as the notary disappeared. "My lord, welcome. I am Yvnvald the Brown, the reeve of Argellon. I am at your service whenever you need me. If you will, I would like to withdraw to my humble abode," he pointed at the largest stone house, rivaling the inn with its size, "but anytime you need me, call on me or send one of your servants." With the last words, he nodded towards Fredrick, eyeing his clothes and his weapon.

The woman remained silent, but watched Oxley and Fredrick with curiosity in her eyes. Ser Orzalo just stood there, one hand on the hilt of his sword, seemingly nervous.

Show
    If you do not address Yvnvald the Reeve, he will leave as soon as possible.

Outside Oxley Manor

They retraced their steps, towards the horses, and mounting them, rode slowly towards the tents outside the manor walls. It was almost dark now.

As soon as they were noticed - which was around twenty yards from first tent - there was a loud shout coming from one of the men. Women started to drag kids inside tents, and men took up cudgels.

One of the men - a thin, older man, who seemed to command utmost respect from the other people, walked towards Neiman and Elija, gesturing to the armed men who promptly lowered their improvised weapons.

"Good evening." His voice was raspy, but still strong. "I am elder Zenjha of Tarnwald. May I know your names and reason why you approach our camp?" He seems to study your faces - as far as possible. "If you are here for peace, be welcome. We have porridge and our custom is to share with fellow travelers."

The men behind him stir a little, but stay where they are.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-09-13 at 09:28 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I look at him smiling "We are here indeed for peace. I am Elija Elston, one of the friends and attendants of the new manor lord.
    I've got to say... I've heard many stories of this place, so when I saw lights I was extremely curious and came checking. Thought I expected ghosts and goblins and trolls and vamp- erhm"
    I chuckle, putting a hand on my own mouth.
    "Are you... refugees? Did something happen?" I've yet to get down from my horse.

Spoiler: ooc rolls
    Show
    Body language to try to understand if he's lieing, or if they mean ill intent (5d10)[42]
    ...unless it's wit? (7d10)[41]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

The men visibly relax, when you mention peace - but the elder seems more tense than before. And when Elija mentions the stories... the crowd tightens grip on their weapons, and starts to look around, turning slowly towards the manor.

"Welcome, Elija Elston." he tries to look calm, but his hands and his eyes betray his nervousness. "We are happy to welcome a friend of new lord of this manor. We are refugees - we left our land, because we were..." he swallows his next word. Elija notices he tries to find better words - but he is sure that the man does not lie, he just does not want to state the true reason of their exile. "...we wanted to find better living. We are willing to swear fealty to your lord, if he will take us under his protection, and we will be as loyal to him, as he is to his people." He now smiles - and it's a sincere smile. The man really hopes Elden shall bring their families prosperity or safety - or whatever he needs. "But we are violating the custom of hospitality! Please, join us in simple dinner - we will be happy to share what we have with you and your companion."

At that moment, Elija looked around. The men, ashamed by the words of their elder, were slowly putting away their makeshift weapons, and women left the tents, starting to prepare the food. Only children remained unseen. And the elder beckoned them to follow him to the largest fire.

In the meantime, Neiman noticed the guard has left his station... most probably to report on their presence.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-09-13 at 10:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I smile to them, getting off from my horse.
    "I think I'll trust you. Don't worry about the boss, he'd prefer to break his own leg then to hurt in any way his people. Oh, don't worry, I call him boss just to poke fun at him, he doesn't want that" I take out my sword still sheated and tie it to the horse, to make them understand that I really don't mean harm -thought I still have my throwing knives hidden away- "he's probably waiting at the inn in the village for us, but I guess he can wait right Neiman? Besides, I REALLY REALLY want to get in the manor. Did any of you take a peek inside?" I say, looking at the building with dreamy eyes.

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

Fredrick gets off his horse and grabs its reigns. Addressing Yvnvald he asks "When we were coming into to town their were lights in the manor any idea what that's about." Fredrick glanced around around for some place to temporarily tie up his horse in case they would be leaving after the legal paperwork. Looking behind Yvnvald at the woman He says "and I don't think we have be properly introduced Ms...." He leaves the sentence unfinished hoping she would provide her name.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do I need to make any rolls?

27. - Top - End - #27

Elden takes note of his new acquaintances, especially the anxious man with his hand on his sword.

He nods to the Reeve.

Thank you. I will remember that. But I have no servants here - I am here to serve.

He then heads inside to find the notary, etc and his promised meal.

I do appreciate the hospitality. I understand your desire to head back, but please - let me buy a round of drinks. We can discuss business and enjoy some good company.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

11th of Spiritfeast 943 (Quartus)
    Village of Argellon
    Four Winds Inn

Ser Orzalo looks surprised, looking at Oxley with disbelief. Yvnvald hesitated for a moment, looking very surprised at notion of lord serving himself, but then bowed his head and stepped back.

"Apologies, my lord, but there is urgent business I need to take care of - I assume that you will want to see the accounting and village census and for this I need to collect the paperwork." he is red in his face, and it is obvious that he is uncomfortable. "It will be my greatest pleasure to have a drink with you tomorrow, once we settle the papers out of way, if you allow me."

He looks up, waiting for you to give him permission to leave or order him to stay. In the meantime, he addresses Fredrick.

"Well, there are some refugees from Tarnwald. I think baron Krammerwald rules there." He looks... a little disgusted, or resentful. "They are not... bad people. I talked with their elder and he was very pleasant, but he insisted that they talk to the owner of the manor before leaving. Unfortunately, most of our militia left when the old lord die... apologies, my lord. My condolences to your loss. Still - some of the men stayed in the manor. Four of them, to be precise, but ser Orzalo here tells me there's six of them."

Ser Orzalo moved forward. "Yes. According to the law, we locked the manor, and evicted everybody except the old steward. These men told us they were "militia" and they want to guard the place. I think they are looters and I wanted to evict them forcefully, but the reeve asked us not to. For some reason." He shot a look full of suspicion towards the reeve and stepped into the inn.

The lady just watched the exchange with half-worried and half-amused look and when Fredrick addressed her, she did a small bow and responded. Her voice was melodic, but cool. "I am Brynn Tricrest. Please, address me as missis Tricrest, after my late husband, and I agree - our introduction was less then proper." she blushes, but quickly recovers. "Apologies, ser. I am - sometimes - too straightforward. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to retire. Tomorrow's work never cares for tonight's entertainment. Good night." she bowed again.

The inn was a stone building, two stories tall and well-kept. The main room covered most of the lower floor. It was well-lit, with rushlights at most tables and large central fireplace, that provided enough warmth for them to revive after the cold outside. Spring was coming, but nights were still cold.

The tables were arranged in irregular pattern and two of them were occupied - five men, all clad in surcoats with the same insignia as Orzalo, sat there, three of them playing some kind of dice game, one reading a scroll and one plucking at a lute, just enjoying the melancholic tones, forming only a formless melody.

Spoiler: Fredrick
    Show
    The men played "Fool's War" - a game of chance with six dice. Each round, everybody puts a small amount (usually in bits or coppers) of money into pot - player who invests the most picks an opponent. The two players "wage war" - they roll two dice (called "army"), but hide the result from their opponents. They can then bet on their success (and the opponent may accept the bet - betting the same amount - or refuse; concessions may be made), and onlookers can bet too (but without looking at dice). Bets are placed on the table, against each other, as if they were formations on battle plan. Once betting is done, the warring players take the third die (called "lady luck" or worse...), roll it and show the results. The army with higher count wins whole pot, splitting it between onlookers and the player.

Show

Rule-wise:
    There is skill involved - mainly observing the people and provoking them to give answers. SOC/Sincerity roll may be performed each "round" to add dice to Gambling roll.
    Each round takes around half hour. You decide how many rounds you are willing to go for (after that, you have to roll due to Gambler flaw to get up and leave).
    Due to how the game starts, you have to choose - for each round - if you want to "wage war" (starting pot will be 1d6 coppers) or leave it to random (starting pot of 2d4 bits).
    Then you have to decide if you want to go for large bets (higher payoff - 1d4 coppers per net success) or small bets (smaller payoff - 1d4 bits per net success).
    Then you roll Wit/Gambling against Wit(4)/TN7.
    Every time you win, there is a chance the game will stop due to players running out of money. This chance is rolling 2+ on 1d10 with large bets adding +1 to TN per your win, -1 per your loss and small bets adding +1 to TN only if you have 3+ net successes.
    Cheating is possible (turning the dice better side up) if you succeed in AGI/Pickpocket roll at -2 dice modifier.

Or you can try to persuade them to try different game.

The innkeeper, a muscular man in apron and tunic, with large, tattooed arms, bowed, when Elden entered and watched him pick a place to sit, and then approached him, awaiting his requests silently. The notary also did seat himself near the new manor lord, bringing with himself a scroll-case, a small leather pouch and signaling to his men, who brought a large chest.

"Shall we start with reading the will? Or would you prefer me just to sum it up?"

Show
    Elden - the reeve seems to really want to leave, although you sense he won't be so rude to refuse second offer.

Refugee Camp
    Outside Oxley Manor

The elder shook his head. "No, Elija Elston. We respect the word of law and would never enter home that belongs to someone else uninvited." Two older women brought the pot of porridge into the center of the camp, and started pouring it into small wooden bowls. Elija looked around, and noticed that there were no younger girls - the youngest he saw was a woman of 30-35, who just entered one of the tents, carrying few bowls of food.

The men were mostly dark-haired, wiry, with large noses and powerful jaws. Women were silent, with dark eyes and olive skin. One of them stood in front of him, with a bowl, offering him the porridge with sad smile. It looked a bit thin, with only two or three pieces of potatoes.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2017-09-14 at 05:29 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I looked around, taking the offered plate.
    "I must thank you for the dinner... thought this place is far too much silent" I said, eating fast.
    After little time, he stood up, faking anger.
    "I'm NOT going to eat with sad people if I can avoid it!" said that, I made sure to have enough space around me, while I recall a song to sing that'a actually funny.

This is the tale o' Beowon the Lightfingered,
    In our hearts his memory lingers,
    He raced for a ruby with one dozen sprinters,
    Then crossed a bridge a one hundredth winner,
    And boxed out an ogre using with just his forefinger.

As I sing, I clap to keep the rythm, dancing a little on the place. Not too much, it's a bit hard to sing and dance.

Long live Beowon the Lightfingered,
    Who had a smell that really lingers,
    He climbed a tree and got one dozen splinters,
    Then braved a harem of one hundred swingers,
    But to the guards stinky Beowen was fingered.
    He was? Yes he was, yes he was!

This is the tale o' Beowon the Lightfingered,
    In our hearts his memory lingers,
    He slew an eye tyrant with one dozen blinkers,
    Then stole its treasure worth one hundred figures,
    And married a duchess wise in her winters.

Long live Beowon the Lightfingered,
    Who was daft as an ox or maybe a springer,
    He down a well to find his wish-singer,
    Then married a troglodyte who bore one hundred stinkers,
    But they argued and Beowon he became a drinker.
    He did? Yes he did, yes he did!

I keep clapping and singing a bit, quietly lowering my voice to end, while checking the humor of the crowd.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Dancing with AGI I presume (6d10)[7][2][10][8][7][10](44)

Singing with... SOC? (5d10)[6][1][7][3][3](20)

Both are TN 7

Geez. If those rolls are right I probably did the opposite, sing a little and dance a lot
    Last edited by Valmark; 2017-09-14 at 06:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Neiman gives a sincere smile at their hospitality and kind words, and looks of condolences at hearing they are indeed refugees. Following Elijah's lead, he ties his sword to the horse, as well as his helmet and shield. Feeling a bit chafed, he regrets letting his superstition make him wear the chain mail into town.

"Yes, thank you for your kind food. As my friend said, my name is Neiman, Neiman Rochester."

He starts engaging some of the men present with small talk, hoping to build rapport as Elijah's song lifts spirits, eventually saying, "I was a farmer before coming here with Lord Ox, and I hope to tend the lands and grow some good produce and tend some healthy livestock. Do any of you have experience with that line of work, before traveling here? I could use a good man or woman to help lead the efforts, though I'm sure the new lord would reward any service with a room, food, and coin."

Show
    Just to make sure, rolling Sincerity to try to make sure they are honest. I'm just paranoid from games where the first friendly folk poison us.
    Guessing Perception (4 dice) @ 6
    (4d10)[8][7][6][8](29)

Also, if it matters (and as a trial for using SA)--rolling Leadership to try to inspire, through his simple offer of work and sincere and invested interest, the folk to work with him in this endeavor
    If it's not applicable, it's just practice and please disregard the roll.
    Social 4 dice + 2 Drive (make the manor thrive) = 6 dice
    (6d10)[9][5][6][1][10][6](37) @ 6