New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default System Theme Songs

In my time on Giant in the Playground I have seen several threads on theme songs for classes, requests for songs for particular characters, particular campaigns. But I haven't seen many songs for the systems themselves. I think it might be an interesting way to talk about systems, so I thought I would try it.

I'm going to start with the obvious one: D&D. Not a particular edition, but the general feel of the more modern systems I've played at least comes across in Dungeons & Flagons. Credit to Actana for posting it originally.

The music is appropriate and the lyrics describe a relatively typical party wandering the land, defeating progressively stronger threats, generally saving the day but not completely above board. The system does things outside of that, but that seems to be the center of the road for what people usually do with it.

Anyone else?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: System Theme Songs

"Cut to the Chase" was created as essentially the theme tune to Eberron, on the CD that they released with one of the books. It is now used in the intro to the official D&D podcast, so maybe has been upgraded from the theme to one setting, to that for the entire multiverse.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    I'm going to start with the obvious one: D&D. Not a particular edition, but the general feel of the more modern systems I've played at least comes across in Dungeons & Flagons. Credit to Actana for posting it originally.?
    I'll have you actually know that that song is, in fact, made for Pathfinder. It says so on their web page.

"Pretty much all lyrics and song subject matter taken from epic Paizo Pathfinder games Dan has played in or run."

That said, I love that word of the band is spreading. They are so wonderfully sincere in how cheesy they are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

D&D 3.5: I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've been turned off the idea ever since I discovered FATAL has a theme song. Which I think is still on YouTube, FATAL being the massive success that the author knew it would be.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Well this didn't take off the way I hoped it would, but thanks to those who did participate.

To Actana: I did not know that, but at the same time that sounds about right.

To Anonymouswizard: If someone doing something badly was enough to make me not try to do it well, FATAL would have driven me from the hobby.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well this didn't take off the way I hoped it would, but thanks to those who did participate.

To Actana: I did not know that, but at the same time that sounds about right.

To Anonymouswizard: If someone doing something badly was enough to make me not try to do it well, FATAL would have driven me from the hobby.
    Their songs do have a few references to Golarion hidden away in them. Not necessarily Dungeons & Flagons, but one at least talks about that one plagued city in Cheliax that I forget the name of, and there are other names tossed around. Very few of them I've been able to locate as canon Pathfinder, but I'm not really an expert on it either.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mutants and Masterminds is the only system I've played, but this is the song for it.

Aqua: Cartoon Heroes

The creativity buzzing through concepts, trying to fit characters to powers and fit powers into the system. This bouncy, peppy song catches that feeling perfectly.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-09-08 at 11:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

10. - Top - End - #10

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well FATAL was the first game I heard of which had someone write them a theme song (which is official), and it turned me entirely off the idea.

@Durkoala, that that song encompasses M&M fairly well, although I do have a weird fondness for Aqua anyway, even the references to existing superheroes represents the fact that some players will be less creative (which ironically lead to the better game of M&M I had, where we weren't creative in powers but could really get into the superhero comic feeling).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Shadowrun (various editions): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8CZHR0uYg0
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.