New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Prestige Class idea, Burned One

So, I have an idea for a Prestige Class, Like I assume many of them, I got the idea from listening to a Heavy Metal song ^_^ Though, it was really just one line ("I have touched fire").

The thought would be as one increases in level, more and more of their body would become covered in horrible burns. At the highest level, their eyes burn away, though they are not left blind. Rather objects are seen as flames. Living in a world of flames.

Now I can come up with some reasonable abilities. Blast things with fire, fire immunity, being able to bypass fire immunity (so yes, two Burned Ones can damage each other). Maybe the burns grant some damage reduction.

The problem is, I can't figure out good requirements.

It's hard to think of any class that this doesn't fit, thus making it hard to think up requirements as well. Any of your choice of Bonus Arcane Caster Levels,Divine Caster Levels, Invoker Levels, Manifester Levels, Fighter Feats,sneak attack, favored enemies, or unarmed damage is kind of ridiculous. So, totally separate progression of abilities (kick butt with fire) is the way to go, but it seems like Prestige Classes to really be viable should advance certain aspects of the character. Being able to turn any fire damage into something that bypasses the regular defenses (resistance, immunity) a number of times per day would fit the bill (thus a fighter with a flaming sword and a wizard casting fireball could get something out of the class)

The direction I'm leaning is making it a strong blaster, possibly with a small number of weakening abilities ("burn away" enemy abilities)

I think I've definitely got an interesting idea, but there are too many directions for it to go in.
    Last edited by Xuincherguixe; 2007-08-12 at 02:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Class idea

Lots of fire related classes coming out nowadays, eh? What was the other one's name, Heartfire knight or something?

Well, I assume the prerequisites to getting this class would be some kind of deal with a fire devil or something...or total immersion into fire magic, so it seems to lean towards spellcasters, to my thinking.

Although this sounds more like an interesting undead template than a class, per se. Burned zombies.. Intelligent burned zombies? How Heroes of Horror-y.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige Class idea

There's always been a lot of fire stuff. Not sure how many of them involve actually getting burned by it though :P

As far as the Undead thing goes. Not a bad idea, but this really is ment as something that is still alive. And has sacrificed itself to the flames.

I'm leaning towards Evil Outsiders a bit, but I think it would be a refreshing change to not be connected to them at all. (You know how it goes. Evil thing that uses Fire, that's Undead and hangs around with Fiends)
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee