New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Any 'good' undead-portfolio gods in DND?

Howdy! I'm making a new character for both a PC game(originating on the Sigil server on NWN2) , as well as tabletop D&D; and she's going to be maybe a necromancer. Knowing that, I'm wondering if anyone by chance, knows of a god in the DND universe that has undeath or death in its portfolio and is considered 'good'? Or at least neutral?

I'm trying to figure out a way to play a necromancer who herself isn't inherently evil, but her magic arts, I imagine are, considering well, necromancy, while she struggles to vouch for the dark art.

I'm not asking for a 'this doesn't make sense', or anything like that in regards to my character's motives or the likes.
    My question is:

Is there a god in any pantheon, used in the D&D universe, that is considered 'Good', or at the very least, Neutral, that is undead-focused? Thanks~
    Last edited by LamiaCritter; 2017-09-05 at 02:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Any 'good' undead-portfolio gods in DND?

As far as I know no. D&D has always taken the approach that undead is inherently evil.

Maybe some elven deity, since back in the day there were the "good liches" elven undead, so maybe they have a patron deity, but I can't give a name.
    After years of disintoxication I'm back in the D&D tunnel

"I don’t understand God. I don’t understand how He could see the way people treat one another, and not chalk up the whole human race as a bad idea. I guess He’s just bigger about it than I would be."
    Jim Butcher-Dresden Files, book 3

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Wee Jas the Witch Goddess comes to mind as one of the neutral ones.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Was Osiris given a good alignment in the Deities and Demigods book? Depending on what you consider a D&D universe, that might count. Or Anubis?
    Last edited by Anxe; 2017-09-05 at 03:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Necromancy isn't inherently evil. Before 3.x healing magic was Necromancy because you manipulate life force, not summon external energy from other places. The Complete Book of Necromancers lists the sort of magic that is considered good necromancy, including healing spells and anti-undead magic, and there is a wide variety of non-evil necromancy out there.

As for gods of the undead that are good, hardly. Pretty much every one I could find was evil. The closest I can think of a god that is specifically interested in undead but isn't particularly evil is Nyx from Mystara. Sure, she wants to see undead rule a darkened world, but that isn't hatred of life or light, just love of the undead. She gets along well with Ixion, a god who hates undead when not 'talking shop', and she doesn't bear any hatred mortals apart from when they kill her beloved undead - she just loves the beauty of darkness and the creatures of the night. She's listed as Neutral and may have clerics of any alignment.

6. - Top - End - #6

Kelemvor comes to mind. He rules the City of Judgement and is the straight up God of Death. He's Lawful Neutral.

And Jergal, the god of tombs and death as a fate. Also Lawful Neutral.

Sehanine Moonbow, Elven goddess of divination, dreams, travel and death. (CG)

Urogalan, Halfling god of earth and death. (LN)

Dumathoin, Dwarven god of buried secrets (N)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Kelemvor comes to mind. He rules the City of Judgement and is the straight up God of Death. He's Lawful Neutral.

And Jergal, the god of tombs and death as a fate. Also Lawful Neutral.

Sehanine Moonbow, Elven goddess of divination, dreams, travel and death. (CG)

Urogalan, Halfling god of earth and death. (LN)

Dumathoin, Dwarven god of buried secrets (N)

These gods are all hostile to undead. Death is usually something distinct from undeath in D&D.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    <Snippety!>

As for gods of the undead that are good, hardly. Pretty much every one I could find was evil. The closest I can think of a god that is specifically interested in undead but isn't particularly evil is Nyx from Mystara. Sure, she wants to see undead rule a darkened world, but that isn't hatred of life or light, just love of the undead. She gets along well with Ixion, a god who hates undead when not 'talking shop', and she doesn't bear any hatred mortals apart from when they kill her beloved undead - she just loves the beauty of darkness and the creatures of the night. She's listed as Neutral and may have clerics of any alignment.
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! THank you~! <3 She fits absolutely perfectly! <3

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LamiaCritter View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! THank you~! <3 She fits absolutely perfectly! <3
    Nyx is basically the hot Goth chick goddess. Obsessed with the beauty of darkness, creatures of the night and changing the Multiverse to something that fits her vision of beauty.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Nyx is basically the hot Goth chick goddess. Obsessed with the beauty of darkness, creatures of the night and changing the Multiverse to something that fits her vision of beauty.
    So Tsukiko raised to god-hood. With maybe a bit less necrophilia.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think there was one in Ghostwalk, IIRC
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

http://www.colton3d.com/dnd/Evening_Glory

This chick, though she is 4th edition

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Evening Glory was in Libris Mortis, a 3.5 book.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Aegis View Post
    Wee Jas the Witch Goddess comes to mind as one of the neutral ones.
    She's LN, so under 3.5 you could play an LG cleric of Wee Jass.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Wee Jas tends to be my go-to for a "not an a-hole" deity/patron for my necromancer Clerics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

check out the elven pantheon from Eberron. they worship their undead ancestors iirc.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    I'm pretty sure Evening Glory was in Libris Mortis, a 3.5 book.
    Correct. Evening Glory was listed in Libris Mortis as the goddess of undead and love who used the unchanging nature of the undead to preserve love at its highest point in the person's life.

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Wee Jas tends to be my go-to for a "not an a-hole" deity/patron for my necromancer Clerics.
    IIRC Wee Jas only demands that the body to be turned undead be procured lawfully.