New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Question on Jade Phoenix Mage.

For arcane wrath, does the attack and damage bonus for sacrificing a spell apply to all attacks before your next turn, or to only one? The text is sort of unclear, given that arcane strike (CAdv) works in a similar fashion.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Question on Jade Phoenix Mage.

No, the text says "single" attack.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-08-12 at 11:52 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    No, the text says "single" attack.
    Ahh, good point. I'd missed that and read only the next sentence -- "only on an attack made before the beginning of your next turn."

Looks like I'm adding arcane strike to my gish build, then. : )

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Abstruse View Post
    Ahh, good point. I'd missed that and read only the next sentence -- "only on an attack made before the beginning of your next turn."

Looks like I'm adding arcane strike to my gish build, then. : )
    Since neither of them provide typed bonuses, they stack and thus having both isn't an overly bad idea in any case.

Do note the differences between the two: Arcane Strike gives you a bonus on your attack rolls equal to the spell level sacrificed, and a damage bonus of 1d4 per spell level. Arcane Wrath only applies to a single strike, but provides a flat +4 bonus to the attack roll and a damage bonus of 1d10 per spell level sacrificed.

So you can use a cantrip with Arcane Wrath to get a +4 to the attack roll, even though you won't get any damage bonus. And Arcane Wrath's damage bonus is a lot bigger as well, useful if you're in a situation where you can only make a single attack during your turn.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas