Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Goblins....

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Goblins....

This most recent strip. The Axe of Prissan.

Too cool to really express with words. Especially with not being able to curse on the forums

For those of you who don't read Goblins, go do so now.

I had plans for a similar event in my campaign world for dnd: some great Demon got loose, and was finally defeated leaving a massive crater, with some idea that it was never actually killed and is now bound beneath the island where the battle took place, where he built The City of a Thousand Demons.

But I kinda like this idea.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Goblins....

Gotta admit, did not see that coming. No offense to Chief's spear, but that is the coolest weapon in the whole damn party.

Also, it would seem that the armor glows with one's I.M.E.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

There's only one real problem with Goblins, and unfortunately it's a pretty big one. Thunt needs to sort out some kind of regular update schedule. As it is, it's dribs and drabs, which really breaks up the flow. The guys have been fighting those guards for months now.
    It's a shame, because otherwise it's a great comic.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa. Now Ears is going to kick several kinds of hell out of this guy. But why must this armor glow? It really doesn't look good. And I agree that fight lasting a month is kind of weird.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-12 at 02:08 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gulaghar and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

While I like Goblins generally, I think this update was kindda crappy. The story was told in an idiotic way, and I don't think we're ready short-time god ascension yet.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Why the heck are there two artifacts in a lvl 1 party?
    And those Goblins are almost Mary Sueish in their power ("stated as 1, looks like 7" kind of thing).

7. - Top - End - #7

I like Goblins, don't quite like the exposition dump, and I prefer when BE was just a regular palladin. :(

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Whoa. Now Ears is going to kick several kinds of hell out of this guy. But why must this armor glow? It really doesn't look good. And I agree that fight lasting a month is kind of weird.
    Because all active magic items glow like that.

You know, I think a lot of you are making a lot of assumptions as to how good this item is. All this does is give ears a chance, not make him automatically win.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'm thinking it may be a flash more than a constant glow, to dim to the point where it doesn't stand out so much, just those strips would be yellow.

Its a level 2 party and one artifact and one awesome spear.

I dunno, I like the way the story was told myself.

I find no problem with the update schedule due to distracting myself through about 14 other webcomics.

10. - Top - End - #10

My party only started getting +1 equips at lvl 3, and then artifacts at lv 8. :P

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm just happy the plot is advancing. Spending 3 months watching them kill red shirts and the house start to fall off the cliff was really really boring, but I'm hoping that it'll pick up steam again with this update.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

With Goblins, I find it's easiest to wait a few weeks (or even months), come back and catch up, then do my best to forget it exists for a while.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    I started mine at the entrance to a labyrinth, as a ripoff tribute campaign to the Death Gate novels.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa! That was chilling!

And I'm glad BE is getting such a moment of glory; he's my favorite character from Goblins, by far.
    Though, I'm afraid the power level might rocket sky-high now; I don't play D&D and even I can see how extremely over-equipped they are now. But Thunt has not disappointed me yet, so I'll just trust him to know what he's doing.

I just wonder... BE is wounded, and it doesn't seem as if the axe healed his wounds. He's a, what, level 2 character now? Going against a high level half-giant? Sure, Seral Cain has only BE's tiny hatchet as weapon now, and no armour, but he's at full hitpoints and significantly more experienced, so how powerful would this axe have to be to enable BE to win this fight? Especially since Cain has already proven to be able to overcome a paladin wielding this axe (though, presumably, whilst using magic equipment himself).

On the other hand, I have little doubts BE will defeat Cain now, or at least survive, keeping the axe - it would be very strange storytelling-wise if anything other than that happened now.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    And those Goblins are almost Mary Sueish in their power ("stated as 1, looks like 7" kind of thing).
    Actually, they went to level 2 back when they took on the Plant Monster in the Swamp.

They may have levelled up some more since then; we haven't really seen them use many abilities or feats that would say 'hey, they're at least level X since they can use Y'. Also, we've more or less gotten montages of the 'important' encounters.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-08-13 at 08:59 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

The update was awesome, but you have to admit that they are indeed getting over-equipped.
    Last edited by yoshi927; 2007-08-13 at 09:09 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have just two words for Erfworld:
    God Mode.

-Parson
    Have you ever considered that such a convenient solution doesn't exist in the real world?

-Raine Sage

"We are the people our parents warned us about..."- Jimmy Buffett
    The Generica Chronicles

16. - Top - End - #16

I think Big Ears said something to the effect of not being worthy of the axe, but he's the only paladin there, so he's taking it. I think he's going to turn it in for some good karma after dealing with this plot line.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

For those of you disappointed with irregular updates don't get your hopes up:

"There will be an update on August 12th.
    The next update after that won't be until August 26th or 27th."

That's taken from the news at the bottom of the page. Sound like going to Gencon is throwing his schedule off.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    I think Big Ears said something to the effect of not being worthy of the axe, but he's the only paladin there, so he's taking it. I think he's going to turn it in for some good karma after dealing with this plot line.
    Well, the axe was created by some of the most powerful paladins and clerics known. People who had dedicated years of their lives to fighting evil and protecting the innocent. Of the original group of 103 paladins and clerics, only 10 survived to create the axe. Of that group of 10, only 1 survived to see the demon contained.
    He's just a neophyte paladin. For him to say he's worthy of it... would be sheer hubris.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I just had an utterly horrifying thought.

Imagine what would happen if Kore ever got his hands onto this axe...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Just because a magic item has a story, does not make it an artifact.

Also, what's the other potential artifact? Chief's spear could easily be a Dancing Spear of Returning (which, admittedly, pegs it as +6 or so).

Plus, you have to keep in mind that these goblins are fighting things way over their CR. Creeping Mold (or whatever) at level 1, now this.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Don't the D&D rules exist in more of a backdrop to make fun of anyway (just in a more ordered fashion than OOTS)?
    Last edited by EldritchExMachina; 2007-08-13 at 02:06 PM.
    -In contempt of rules-lawyer court.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchExMachina
    Don't the D&D rules exist in more of a backdrop to make fun of anyway (just in a more ordered fashion than OOTS)?
    More or less. Stuff happens that doesn't in DnD, like getting one's eye poked out, helmet knocked off, or, well, feeling pain. The plot is much more important when it comes to this; they'll win any fights they're supposed to win, and lose any fights they're supposed to lose.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    More or less. Stuff happens that doesn't in DnD, like getting one's eye poked out, helmet knocked off, or, well, feeling pain. The plot is much more important when it comes to this; they'll win any fights they're supposed to win, and lose any fights they're supposed to lose.
    They're clearly playing with a crit table.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are they even still playing D&D at all? This 3 month long fight with the guards has more like an action scene than a D&D fight, with very few D&D conventions used at all with the slight exception of the circumstance watching bonus and the negative hit points on dying guards.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    Are they even still playing D&D at all? This 3 month long fight with the guards has more like an action scene than a D&D fight, with very few D&D conventions used at all with the slight exception of the circumstance watching bonus and the negative hit points on dying guards.
    Then again, in the recent OOTS strips, how often do you see the D&D influence, aside from the spells and feats, except when it's to make a joke (like the 'epic battle' between Azure City's High Priest and Redcloak? 'Made my saving throw').

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TiamatRoar View Post
    I think I read once that, when Thunt is DMing, he likes to present even minor actions of his players in very dramatic ways. So, most of all the fancy moves the goblins have been showing so far may just have been normal attacks, and no more.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'd just like to say that while I found the Wall of Backstory annoying, at least the freaking plot is advancing for the first time since April.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Then again, in the recent OOTS strips, how often do you see the D&D influence, aside from the spells and feats, except when it's to make a joke (like the 'epic battle' between Azure City's High Priest and Redcloak? 'Made my saving throw').
    "Made my saving throw" had an entire strip dedicated to it for the most part. There were also entire strips dedicated to things like Kaizo and Daigo needing a name to survive, etc. There really hasn't been anything like that in Goblins for a while (well, with the exception of the guy talking about the time when a player got RP experience for ****ting himself). Compare Goblins now to what Goblins used to be. There used to be a LOT more D&D gameplay references in the older strips than there are right now. Goblins used to have characters with names like Minmax or strips about how those 3 dead drow had to restart new characters. These days, it's mostly just a generic oppressed rebel group story with 3 month-long fights.

Heck, even the D&D roles of the goblins changed from being D&D's favorite punching bag enemies trying to survive into what could be ANY typical hackneyed oppressed rebel group.
    Last edited by TiamatRoar; 2007-08-14 at 11:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I have to say, this entire thing is akin to the Transformation Party of EGS, only that maybe, when this whole affair is finished, the whole battle might be fun to read through in one sitting.

I mean, honestly, this entire fight, up until Ears went to go face Saral Caine, could have been a panel of chief falling and being discovered by the guards, then another panel showing all the goblins bloodied and beat around the dead bodies of said guards.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I think I read once that, when Thunt is DMing, he likes to present even minor actions of his players in very dramatic ways. So, most of all the fancy moves the goblins have been showing so far may just have been normal attacks, and no more.
    The problem is that showing every single normal attack as a fancy attack tends to take time. Lots of time. Sooooo much time that one single fight scene has lasted 3+ months O_o