A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

confused OOTS #1097 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop game—now including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1097 - The Discussion Thread

Interesting! So there must have been some reason for Odin to want this series of events to happen.

Maybe there's another archaic rule they can take advantage of, now that Hel has voted.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"I see worlds within worlds and yarn winding yarn."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent! I was hoping this issue was going to be pointed out. Odin is the All-Seeing, after all--I wonder if he needs to push the universe to this breaking point for some reason.

Maybe he's looking to create more raven jobs
    Last edited by DougTheHead; 2017-09-09 at 12:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well if Durkon had never become an adventuring cleric something even worse may have befallen the world, maybe that's why Odin saw it necessary to give him a (rather large) push in that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: OOTS #1097 - The Discussion Thread

Important comic I just do not know why.

Rich you have me stumped
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let me be the first to say: "she-wolf prophesy"? Is that a Romulus and Remus thing, or...?
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

8. - Top - End - #8

One thing about Odin in the myths, he's a twisty tricksy such-and-such, as a fair number of giants and men found to their distress. OoTS Odin has seemed a bit less tricky, but isn't that just what a tricky god would want you to think?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I get the feeling that it was significant that Belkar led the Order towards whatever resolution this is heading towards. Maybe the following this "why did Odin send the prophesy" thread is what will somehow get Belkar killed?

10. - Top - End - #10

RogueGuy

Blackwing continues his trend of having the best punchlines. He would reference Odin's Ravens.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll take "Dwarves that need a reason to go adventuring because they're critical to saving the world from being unmade" for $500, Alex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    Important comic I just do not know why.

Rich you have me stumped
    I am right there with you. I have no idea why this is important other than to anger a GOD with his comments.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I am suddenly filled with uncertainty and mild dread as to how Odin uses Huginn and Muninn. Two is by no definition "a lot".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

In the myths, Odin is driven to prevent Ragnarock, and he sort of has been shown to take the by any means to try and preserve his people. But one thing you may not be considering, is that the Northern Gods are ultimately bound up in fate. Granted, Loki and Odin, being who they are, try and cheat the system.

Would not be entirely surprised if this is part of some long term plan that could potentially blow up in his face, but the rewards are worth the risk. Shall hope to find out
    Summer Job has started, and eats a lot of time, particularly on weekends. Replies my be delayed.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Belkar and Haley are not wrong, but Roy is also right about Odin's vote (had to go back and check that).

One could assume Odin suffers from Multiple Personality Disorder, but there's inconclusive evidence to give that diagnosis absolutely.
    One would also assume that Odin knew the Order of the Stick would NEVER SURVIVE without Durkon. Odin perhaps saw they would have died any number of times along the way from Strip #1 to now if they just some other random cleric along.

Which is probably the more likely in-universe answer.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

If Durkon had not been present with the party at Dorukon's dungeon, Xykon may well have broken the protection, completed the ritual, and unleashed an age of domination by the Dark One. Leaving the internal planet trapped and the current one in an age of misery.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

This is just amazing. I love Belkar doing his thing!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Although surely if Tiamat knew that Durkon would return only after he died and Odin knew that when he returned he would bring great peril could Odin not at least mention the undead part in his original prophecy?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Interesting. I'm honestly glad this was addressed, because it feels like in a world where narrative convention is part of the universal law, that someone really should have thought of it before now. It suggests there's still more going on than we know. To be honest, there are so many unanswered questions surrounding Durkon's past and his part in all this. His father's story is suspicious and full of holes, this aspect of his prophecy is equally suspicious and hole-filled, and now that I think of it, why in the world did Loki trick Hel on behalf of Thor? I don't yet see how it's all tied together, but I have a strong suspicion that it is.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    Let me be the first to say: "she-wolf prophesy"? Is that a Romulus and Remus thing, or...?
    I am no expert, but there are some greek/roman myths about prophecies fullfilling themselves. (Think oedipus, who killed his father and married his mother as foretold) There also is the story about a she-wolf raising two human brothers. Like you said, Romulus and Remus.

However I cannot remember a story with both elements present. Maybe an authors oversight.

edit:clarified that the brothers were those roman twins.
    Last edited by Guildrobber; 2017-09-09 at 12:55 PM. Reason: spelling, forgot a part

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper_Antigone View Post
    Interesting! So there must have been some reason for Odin to want this series of events to happen.
    To form the OOTS and put an end to the Gate problem permanently.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #22

Huh. The idea that the gods might convey unhelpful prophecies with actual coherent motivations, in a goal-directed manner, was one that hadn't really occurred to me. I just sort of thought of prophesying as just... you know... what gods like Odin did.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Odin is 20 chess moves ahead the rest of us. Could it be that he specifically intended Durkon to become a vampire?
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-09-09 at 01:03 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

well done, Mr. Burlew.
    I wonder how their meeting his mother will go, if it happens at all.
    By Shoreward.

Spoiler: My RPG title, somehow.
    Show

{]GNU Terry Pratchett.[}

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Good comic. (Vampirism was an inside job)

((Wow. I'm surprised I got here this early considering two people posted by the time I typed one sentence.)
    Last edited by Green Elf; 2017-09-09 at 01:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe there's another archaic rule they can take advantage of, now that Hel has voted.
    Odin's supposed to have the greatest powers of prophecy and foresight, hence losing the eye. . .so presumably he's looking at it on a long-enough timetable that he sees how it will unfold in a way the other Gods can't.

Presumably the Snarl is the one blind spot in his powers of prophecy, hence why he didn't see the destruction of the first world before it happened. Being composed of divine energy might have something to do with that.

Yeah, for SOME reason he wants it like things have unfolded however.

Also, presumably Tiamat has the same powers of foresight, since the Oracle's visions come from her, and she's seen that the story has a happy ending (for Elan at least).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

I am not so sure. Maybe the prophecy was what Odin (or his priest) saw, without seeing how it came to pass. He might not have known that this would cause the events in question to happen. Like Elan said: self-fulfilling.

However that leaves the question of why the prophecy was told. I mean if you use prophecies on a regular basis, you should know that telling them does not stop them, which makes telling Hurrak an act of pure cruelty. After all, all it does is harm one poor dwarf, even if he is going to doom them all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Actually exploring why literary prophecies are a bad idea in-story. Go, Giant!

But to answer Haley's question ("Then why set all of this in motion"? To tell a story, you must first produce a story. The Giant has a clear reason. But does Odin?

I guess we're setting up that Odin wanted the Order of the Stick here to stop either Xykon, the Dark One, or the Snarl.

Also, for somebody who possesses a Wisdom score normally reserved for lemmings, Belkar sure showed some Knowledge (the gods). Odin's eye, Sleipnir, ....
    Last edited by Jay R; 2017-09-09 at 01:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by JbeJ275 View Post
    Well if Durkon had never become an adventuring cleric something even worse may have befallen the world, maybe that's why Odin saw it necessary to give him a (rather large) push in that direction.
    If Durkon hadn't become an adventuring cleric, Roy would probably have given up on the Order's members after their disastrous first fight, or the Order wouldn't have survived through all their trials without Durkon to heal them, or would have been dealt with by the forest bandits, or would have been demolished by Malack in the pyramid, or...

And without the Order, Xykon would have gotten his way with the Gates.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Interesting. I never really considered Odin to be much more than a divine comic relief, a buffoon god of beer and incompetence. Him having ulterior motives is ... interesting.