New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Potential Class Feature Question: speak with plants/animals

I know Complete Champion has a ranger ACF for Speak with Animals or Speak with Plants 3/day... Would it be game breaking to give a class the permanent benefits of one of those spells as a class feature? At what level would that be acceptable?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Potential Class Feature Question: speak with plants/animals

While a powerful ability, it isn't game-breaking at all- it's fairly easy to cast the spell when you need it with 3 uses per day. Without the context of a class, it's hard for me to say for sure when you should get it, but some thoughts in generalities:
    -Speak With Animals is available from level 1, and can be had 6 times per day or so by level 5- by then, it's practically at will, which makes it maybe OK around then?
    -Speak with Plants is unavailable before level 5 for any class. Rangers get it at level 8, and Bards at level 7. It practically never reaches that level of "nearly at-will".
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Might I offer some fresh-baked homebrew? :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aimlessPolymath View Post
    While a powerful ability, it isn't game-breaking at all- it's fairly easy to cast the spell when you need it with 3 uses per day. Without the context of a class, it's hard for me to say for sure when you should get it, but some thoughts in generalities:
    -Speak With Animals is available from level 1, and can be had 6 times per day or so by level 5- by then, it's practically at will, which makes it maybe OK around then?
    -Speak with Plants is unavailable before level 5 for any class. Rangers get it at level 8, and Bards at level 7. It practically never reaches that level of "nearly at-will".
    4th to 6th lvl looks good for animals; around 5+ lvls later for if I use the published spell lvl for speak with plants or not if I go with the multiple threads here and on enworld that argue for moving speak with plants down to match speak with animals...

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Might I offer some fresh-baked homebrew? :)
    Using this awesome feat tree, a human could get both of these plus a bunch of other awesome goodies by 3rd lvl and the other races could at 6th lvl...

Thanks to both of you, this helped a lot.