New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default What have I done, what do I need to do?

I have an account, and I can login, so I click "stay logged in", and it holds for a page and its threads, but since earlier today stopping site preferences and website offline data, which I've since restored, if I move to a different forum page, I'm logged out.

I can log in again, but once per page is annoying.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-09-12 at 09:53 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What have I done, what do I need to do?

check if you allow cookies to be saved.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Your "connection" is stored as a cookie, so anything that affects cookies can do this. So:

• Make sure that your browser is set to allow cookies for this site (per Fri's comment).
    • Make sure you don't have any processes going around tidying up cookies. Several security programs will do this kind of thing.
    • Take care clearing your browser cache (this will also remove cookies)
    • If you are running any kind of script blocker (like noscript) make sure that you have the correct sites unblocked.

If you have only just started getting this behaviour, try to find out what has changed: it is possible that a change to - say - script blocking is now affecting cookies.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Your "connection" is stored as a cookie, so anything that affects cookies can do this. So:

• Make sure that your browser is set to allow cookies for this site (per Fri's comment).
    • Make sure you don't have any processes going around tidying up cookies. Several security programs will do this kind of thing.
    • Take care clearing your browser cache (this will also remove cookies)
    • If you are running any kind of script blocker (like noscript) make sure that you have the correct sites unblocked.

If you have only just started getting this behaviour, try to find out what has changed: it is possible that a change to - say - script blocking is now affecting cookies.
    Yeah, cookies seem to be it. However, cookies used to be blocked with no problem before.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Yeah, cookies seem to be it. However, cookies used to be blocked with no problem before.
    You probably had an exception for this site and either forgot or didn't realize it. Then one setting or another got changed and the cookies got blocked again.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You probably had an exception for this site and either forgot or didn't realize it. Then one setting or another got changed and the cookies got blocked again.
    Sort of, but I still have the exception for this site, it's just that it's not working any more. I presume it's a change to Firefox, they change so much (you can't do "let me decide on cookies on the fly" any more), but it definitely triggered when I changed the settings mentioned above, and didn't change back when I undid them.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2017-09-14 at 08:53 PM.