New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1498
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ #59: Will You Take This Woman To Be Your Galpal?

It would all be individual pieces.

My idea was to have her just not be WEARING a pride thing, but just holding a rainbow pride flag. By not wearing it, it feels like she's not "part" of it but just supporting it, ala holding it up like a flag. How does that sound?

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post

My idea was to have her just not be WEARING a pride thing, but just holding a rainbow pride flag. By not wearing it, it feels like she's not "part" of it but just supporting it, ala holding it up like a flag. How does that sound?
    As someone who isn't immersed in the social aspects of LGBTAI+ culture (so self identify as a member but not active participant in larger scale cultural movements), I think it works to have hear in normal clothes and carrying a banner. She doesn't wear the symbols, for they are not hers, but she does champion them.

I think that works better than any particular "straight" symbol.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding a flag works, my immediate answer was for that character to use the ally flag though, makes it clear that she's supportive while not herself LGBT+

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

You stumbled across a hole in the system. Namely, that there is no agreed symbol/representation for majority folks in the community. I second Unavenger, try to find an appropriate symbol, else you have that character standing out. Which is probably a message you want to avoid.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rydiro View Post
    You stumbled across a hole in the system. Namely, that there is no agreed symbol/representation for majority folks in the community. I second Unavenger, try to find an appropriate symbol, else you have that character standing out. Which is probably a message you want to avoid.
    The thing about this though is that pride symbols exist as a stand against historic and ongoing oppression and shame. It's the same sort of reason why the terms "black power" and "white power" have such massively different connotations. A "straight pride" symbol is not going to strike the tone the author wants, in my opinion.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxander View Post
    A "straight pride" symbol is not going to strike the tone the author wants, in my opinion.
    It need not be a symbol of "pride", just a ... representative symbol. If you do not find some symbol, you just set the straight person apart somehow. I dont know if that is intended.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Banned

DruidGirl

Give her the suffragette flag. That's hers to wave around.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's tiring to stress in the first post of a thread that a character uses they/them pronouns and then have someone entirely fail to notice it and misgender the character (a second time, when they were asked to reconsider the gender of the character).

Smash the binary for me, folks. I feel like I'm going to die soon.
    The future is bright.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdork View Post
    It's tiring to stress in the first post of a thread that a character uses they/them pronouns and then have someone entirely fail to notice it and misgender the character (a second time, when they were asked to reconsider the gender of the character).

Smash the binary for me, folks. I feel like I'm going to die soon.
    You get the t-shirts, I'll arrange a bus.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Happy Pride Month, everyone!

Be safe, love each other.

Protect yourselves.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

This is a pretty good video by a trans woman about the issue of transphobic reactions to (possibly) trans characters in media. Specifically a spoiler free description of the Last of Us 2 leaks.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

As we get into Pride Month, I'm feeling lonely again. Mainly just from not being able to celebrate Pride with the people that I want to share it with the most. Not really going out, I can't even say that I'm there in spirit, because my heart's just not in it. Has anyone else been feeling similar? If so, how are you dealing with it?

If you're not like me, and you're actually feeling pretty good-- that's awesome. I hope Pride's a lot of fun for you.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Troll in the Playground

So, I've had some good news; I had a video call with the doctor at the GIC yesterday, and apparently non essential surgeries might be allowed again soon (with the caveat that you self isolate a few weeks before), so the queue I'm in for GCS is going to start moving again!

14. - Top - End - #1334

Oh be sure to bring up this because it seems like it might be useful for you (and me, and people like use).

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, that's actually fascinating. Good find!

And congrats, Bisected!

On my end I got referred to an Endo recently. We'll see how that goes.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Troll in the Playground

Oh be sure to bring up this because it seems like it might be useful for you (and me, and people like use).
    I did ask about that. Apparently there's not much of a chance of getting it (surgeons who're trained to do it being available and all), but it's not a terrible loss (and not relevant to me, because I won't need any hair removal).

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congratulations BisectedBrioche! I really hope you can get there soon.

I haven’t been around much lately either, but not a lot has changed for me in the last few months. I’ve passed 2.5 years on hormones and my breasts have settled out at a c-cup, and I got my name and gender legally changed last summer so I’m officially female now. That was mainly done as a matter of convenience; I still identify as genderfluid and am not 100% male-to-female, but since there are no other options at present that would be widely recognized in the legal sense, I went with female as I present that way 99% of the time. Even at work, wheee I have been presenting as a woman for the last 1.5 years.

Other than that, I’m not going any farther with transition. I have the body I want and society sees it that way too. I prefer keeping certain aspects of both sexes around and am not interested in having that surgically altered. I’m definitely considering hair removal in the future, though; as I don’t like having to constantly deal with shaving it and I get rather self-conscious about any facial hair shadow that just won’t go away.
    LGBTitp

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

My facial hair's been driving me crazy too tbh. Shaving doesn't last long enough and I really don't practically have the time to shave daily, so I surreptitiously acquired an epilator. It hurts less than I was worried it would but even that isn't getting all the beard hair without many passes (I have a LOT of it) and I have very dark coarse hair on light skin so anything I miss is highly visible. Plus I'm on the faster-growing side so even good plucks last more like three weeks than six.

I don't even know how to begin tackling body hair.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've had some success with laser hair removal and electrolysis (laser's mostly good for darker hairs only though). Some places might give discounts for trans customers or work with an organization that does, too. Electrolysis is unfortunately pretty slow, since they have to do one hair at a time for it.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I've had electrolysis (hair's a bit too light for laser), but it took about 3 years to get where I am now (stopping because of the lockdown has revealed there's only a few scattered hairs left).

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Bugbear in the Playground

I’m also a blonde, so I would probably need electrolysis too.
    LGBTitp

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, I'm a bleach blonde, but my natural colour's a light brown, so most of my hair's too light anyway. D=

It's annoying; can't get facial hair removed without 3 years of electro, still need to bleach on top of dyeing.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

So I read about many people have found FaceApp to be an effective egg cracker.

I figured what the hell, give it a shot and took a neutral faced photo.

Side effects may include a disgruntled cat who may not be nice to me for the next few hours. He saw that I was lying stressed out on the bed and decide to come curl up on my chest. Which was the exact wrong thing to do at the time and I shoved him off.

I decided to give it a second shot and smiled for the camera this time (I don't like smiling for cameras usually).

It is probably the happiest photo I have had of myself in years.

The only issue is that it gives me long hair in the photo that I can do nothing to manipulate due to not actually having it.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Firbolg in the Playground

The part that seemed weird to me when I used faceapp was that the "feminized" version of me always had blonde hair, and I couldn't' figure out how to change it. I like my hair brown.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard some complaints that the app also lightens skin. This is what happens when you don't test throughly, I guess.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I've heard some complaints that the app also lightens skin. This is what happens when you don't test throughly, I guess.
    It definitely does that. I wouldn't be surprised if they tested on mostly white people, because in my case as A Very White Person, the effect is pretty positive. But it wouldn't be quite so same on someone with a different skin tone.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It's a well-known problem, and usually my go-to argument for why diversity is an inherently good thing for results, sidestepping arguments about hiring the best candidate or whatever. There was an infamous case of a "racist soap dispenser" that used an infrared sensor to detect hands placed under it. Lighter skin tones bounced the signal back just fine, but darker ones absorbed the light, as darker pigments do. In this case, the engineers behind it almost definitely just didn't have anyone dark-skinned enough to demonstrate the effect on their testing team, and so failed to catch a clear design flaw due to their demographics not representing the general public.

It doesn't surprise me that such apps would have similar issues in tuning, especially since photography in general does (see: Shirley Cards).

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yea, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't work as well for people of color. On the other hand, I have brown hair, which is one of the most common hair colors for white people, yet it thinks it needs to make my hair blonde (which is much less common), so that did surprise me. It obviously isn't as bad as the racial issue (since blond people AFAIK aren't subject to systemic discrimination), but it was more surprising to me.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Blade of Oblivion is right in general on that point but the ap you're all talking about is pretty definitively known to like, be intentionally bad about **** like this.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

So, I did a bit of a twitter essay on trans representation via fictional groups:

https://twitter.com/BisectedBrioche/...53392530706436