A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 30 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 898
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!


    In the echoes of Kenabres' fall, the very shadow of Khorramzadeh's footsteps, the heroes find themselves beset on all sides by demonic forces. They have survived the literal fall, as the very earth itself attempted to swallow them at the demon lord's behest. Terendelev has fallen, the ancient protector's last act being to ensure their survival.

    They came together in the tunnels, the unlikely company of demonic and angelic. After many days beneath the city, they returned to the ruins of what was once their home. Along the way, they routed a small cadre of cultists, and enlisted the aid of perhaps the most oppressed of all. They witnessed the literal divinity of Torag's favor. With allies and refugees alike behind them, the heroes have fought tooth and nail to maintain a foothold in the shattered city. Finally, thanks to their own discoveries and the work of Irabeth's scouts, the greatest immediate threat has been made known.

    The cultists aim to use the remains of the ward stone to trigger an attack the likes of which has never been seen. The heroes have now infiltrated the overrun garrison, and seek to put an end to the cultist's foul plot. In order to save the world, they may well have to doom it, first.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Holy smokes! We done filled up a 50-page thread with shenanigans! Thank you all for sticking with it for so long! Let's see if we can't do it again!


    Previous thread

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Elrembriel hurries past the altar to examine the source of her arcane inspiration, even as Aurora gently chastises the wizard's haste. As Aurora approaches, the undeniable smell of rotting flesh assails her senses (along with those of others nearby). The grotesque mass- something of an insectoid 'statue' stitched together from portions of clearly human origin- is truly enormous. Easily 8 feet in length, with a greater girth than the average man, the sheer weight of flesh makes it prove unwieldy at best. Coupled with unreliable gripping points due to its odd shape, pieces tending to tear at random, and... fluids that the heroes try to put from their mind, it almost immediately becomes clear that any shred of propriety will be a noteworthy task to accomplish.

    Elrembriel, for her efforts, quickly discovers a faintly glowing rectangular outline. It's as if the wall knows that the party is here for noble purpose, and desires to reveal its hidden secrets to you. However, as you further inspect the area, no apparent opening mechanism reveals itself. Clearly, powerful magic is at work. Elrembriel continues to focus, allowing her magical sight to penetrate the outermost shell of the door's protective auras. She places her hand against the seam, and begins to trace the doorway's edges. Almost immediately, she falls unconscious.

    Spoiler: Elrembriel only
    Show
    One moment, the door fills your vision. It makes itself known to you even while hiding its truest secrets. Your hands gently trace the doorway, while your eyes see the masterful hinges and glides beneath the stone. The quality of handiwork is exceptional, even for a place that clearly warranted the most skilled of craftsmen.

    A flash of light erupts behind your eyes, blinding you, and casting your world into darkness so deep even your ancestral heritage fails to penetrate its depths. A voice fills your head, echoing and ringing with undeniable force. For a moment, it almost feels as if your brain will burst, the sensation is so great.

    "Girl." The word echoes for a heartbeat- you still have a pulse, that's a good sign! "Why do you invade my sanctum?"
    Spoiler: Everyone else *only*
    Show
    The event taking place with Elrembriel is similar to the movie "Contact." She will experience minutes or hours as necessary, based on the progression of her encounter. From your perspective, she will regain consciousness almost as quickly as she lost it. There won't be sufficient time past to fret much about her state. Surprise and concern will be in order, but not an awful lot past that.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have a few questions for everyone (else, as applicable).
    1: Did you leave the fallen cultists and Tieflings upstairs? That space will continue to be difficult terrain until they are moved somewhere else (which itself will then be either difficult terrain or impassible).
    2: What are your characters doing right now? Specific details about which rooms you're inspecting and what you're looking for while there is in order.

    A brief recap:
    -The guards were two erstwhile humans infested with demonic influence. The demonic influence melted away; the husks that were once people did not.
    -There is a defaced frieze in the foyer.
    -There are marred portraits in the meeting hall, along with a few smashed marble planters.
    -The demons befouled the small shrine with mud and excrement, its small alter broken into pieces.
    -You found the bodies of two knights in the museum. Demons used their heads as projectiles when Aurora opened the door.
    -There was once an elegant woodwork rail along the stairway. The demons destroyed it almost in full, leaving splinters scattered on the floor below (I should perhaps have treated some of that area as difficult terrain or caltrops, but you got off easy! ).
    -The demons thoroughly abused the temple proper. They partially smashed or otherwise defaced 6 stone statues, upturned the alabaster altar, and desecrated it with a hideous figure stitched together of human flesh. They smeared the floors with blood and filth, and used the room as if a rat's nest- even sleeping under the metaphorical shadow of the insectoid figure.
    -The alchemist made use of the priest's chambers as his own space. You haven't actually had time to investigate it yet, as your only entrance prior to now was in the midst of combat. In the interest of timing, I'll post the description here.

    Priest's chambers: A long table and six chairs have been pushed against the western wall. Opposite them, a tapestry depicting a map of Mendev hangs from a silver rod. The tapestry has been slashed several times, though its usefulness spared it full destruction. A single bedroll lies near a table covered with alchemical devices. A long wooden sword case lies among the paraphernalia, wrapped with cord as if for careful transportation.
    Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    The alchemical equipment is, in fact, a masterwork alchemy lab.
    Spoiler: Only if you open the swordcase
    Show
    It's a +1 evil outsider bane longsword. It's also Irabeth's father's heirloom blade! She'll be pretty stoked about this.
    Spoiler: Paper in the swordcase
    Show


    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Spoiler: in Elrembriel's mind
    Show
    Elembriel is struck dumb for a few moments. Incoherent thoughts fill her mind, dreams of falling, a vision of the face of the demon touching her scarred cheek, the sight of piles of bodies left to rot in Kenabres' streets.

    The voice nearly strikes her deaf as well as blind, but brings her thoughts back to a semblance of order.

    "Er... Hum... I was hoping to find a hidden passage towards the floors upstairs."

    The silent wait, after this, gives her a clue that more detail might be expected.

    "I, er, suppose I ought to explain. More... Hum. Well, the city... fell. Demons attacked, the wardstone was broken. Dead people, children... everywhere, the destruction... A few crusaders came to the mongrel village, down below... They were kind to my friends, they explained what had happened. I decided to join them. We came back to the city, there is a small group of people... Trying to resist.

    Now the demons have taken the garrison, and Irabeth, that's the resistance leader... She thinks they're trying to do something to a fragment of the wardstone that they have. So we attacked. There was a big fight to get to the second floor... Demon worshipers everywhere. We won, but there must many more, surely... I thought, maybe we should find a secret passage or something, to try to get behind them. So, er, I, went to look here."


    She ends, rather embarrassed at the jumbled manner she just put her story. Then, a thought strikes.

    "Er, hem, if this is your sanctum... then, you're the goddess? The one they call, er... Inheritor?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Spoiler: In Elrembriel's Mind
    Show
    "My names are many," the thunder replies. "The Inheritor is one.."

    For several long moments, Elrembriel is forced to consider whether or not she has truly been struck deaf. The sheer depth of the void she now 'perceives' threatens to swallow her, casting her analytical mind into nothingness from which she may never escape. After what feels like an eternity, your senses once more erupt with unimaginable sound.

    "Even against demons, subterfuge is to be condemned, for those who abuse it are no better than the darkness against which they purportedly strive. Why do you seek such among my sanctum?"

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Spoiler: in Elrembriel's mind
    Show
    The elf girl suddenly feels younger, even more so than she is - a mere baby in face of unspeakable power.

    "Er... Er... Because I didn't know any better? Sorry...

    I wanted to search the whole first floor really. Not especially here. I know it is a sacred place. The demons... Er... Really damaged it. We have been trying to clean up a bit... But, hum, there's a lot to do.

    I... Er... I think the real reason is, I was afraid. I am afraid. Terrified really. I have never been in war... And the fight... I thought I was going to die. So if they ambushed us above... If they are demons now, not just cultists... I don't know."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Spoiler: Elrembriel
    Show
    Somehow, you can feel the consciousness smiling. It is... odd, however. There is mirth, but there is also determination- an eager urge to press on to combat, victory, righteousness.

    A warrior appears before you. Despite the bleak lack of light, she is fully visible. Clad in full plate, she bears a peaked shield emblazoned with a glowing blade. The blade is mirrored in her other hand, casting light into the darkness and serving as a beacon in the landscape of emptiness. Short-cropped black hair frames a face both stony and beautiful- the very embodiment of human health and practicality.


    "War." She smiles again, somehow both setting you at ease and at the same time calling you forward. "War is something I know. Seek my blessing against the demons, girl..." The woman smiles, pointing to your chest with her radiant blade. "... and you shall have it."


    Suddenly, your eyes fly open. The door remains outlined before your eyes, its mechanism now obviously a command word. In the sudden absence of glory, the sheer wrongness, the vile affront of the cultist's desecration seems even more offensive than it did before.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Elrembriel stands, unsteadily, on her feet. A light seems to shine in her eyes, that just wasn't there before.

    "I saw her", she says, simply, softly, in her tiny, sibilant voice. "I knew... Gods existed, you know, created the world, everything. I just didn't know a god could be a person".

    "And she called me. Me! Called me to seek her blessing in the war against the demons."

    She seems in such awe that her gaze doesn't focus on her surroundings, as if she wasn't really among the group.

    Then, suddenly, she snaps into focus. "And I will. Seek it. I don't know how, but, Ser Pelleas, I trust you will show me."

    Aurora looks at the girl in newfound admiration. "Whatever you did, Elrembriel, or told Her, She must have found you a person to trust. May that blessing carry you, and us, wherever this war leads us."

    With a half-smile, the paladin adds, "Oh, and of course one way to seek her blessing is to restore this place of worship. Now you understand why we were so insistent on doing that without delay!"

    Nodding, the young elf wizard gets to work.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Other than acid that might clean some stains (but possibly doing damage in the process) she doesn't have much as tools but will do as best possible.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have a few questions for everyone (else, as applicable).
    1: Did you leave the fallen cultists and Tieflings upstairs? That space will continue to be difficult terrain until they are moved somewhere else (which itself will then be either difficult terrain or impassible).
    2: What are your characters doing right now? Specific details about which rooms you're inspecting and what you're looking for while there is in order.
    Spoiler: Response to OOC
    Show
    1. I think we should leave the fallen enemies them upstairs, but pile the bodies on top of each other and against the walls in such a way as to leave the main passageway unobstructed.

    2. Waylan is looking for the best place to make use of his Mending orison, which has a 10 minute cast time. From the description I think that the smaller shrine/altar would be a good target for this, while the other PCs explore rooms and/or clean up the main altar.

    (He can also cast Create Water a few times if that will help others to wash away blood/filth.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Elrembriel stands, unsteadily, on her feet. A light seems to shine in her eyes, that just wasn't there before.

    "I saw her", she says, simply, softly, in her tiny, sibilant voice. "I knew... Gods existed, you know, created the world, everything. I just didn't know a god could be a person".

    "And she called me. Me! Called me to seek her blessing in the war against the demons."
    Waylan comes running once Elrembriel's fall and recovery are made know to him. He takes in her story with widening eyes. "You - you had a direct communication with the goddess? She manifested herself to you, as a human? It is a miracle..." The holy man falls silent for a while, struck with the sudden implications of Elrembriel's story. A nagging voice sounds at the back of his mind, But this elf girl? What is so special about her that the gods favor her with their direct contact? Lord Erastil, why have you been silent since you first called me to this place...
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    As noted in a phone conversation, I already posted that Filburn would be dragging bodies downstairs. We should not be searching them where a door can open on us and an ambush appear without warning.

    As for cleaning and repairing the temple, Filburn will help with heavy lifting (literally), but is not religious enough to focus on detailed cleaning. He will readily help to do what can be done to show appropriate respect to the dead (especially the honorable dead), but without the time or facilities to do more he will tend to the practical. His priority is not adding us to the list of the dead.

    Once the bodies have been searched and the rooms given a quick sweep he will stand guard against ambushes from upstairs. Perception modifier of +9.

    After searching the dead and confirming that the rooms on the first floor are clear of enemies, Filburn stands at the door to the stairway, listening and watching for any indication of a counterattack. When the sound of Elrembriel falling reaches him he asks over the Message spell, "What was that? Is everyone alright? The demons and their cultists have not come down this way - do I need to come to all of you?"

    Spoiler: Regarding Loot
    Show
    Filburn has a Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, so he doesn't need healing potions.

    He would take one scroll each of Cause Fear and Comprehend Languages (which he can use without chance of failure since they are on the Bard spell list).

    Honestly, I think those are the only items that really make much sense for Filburn to consider from the pile...

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    "A miracle? Yes, this may be the right word... Although I read that people in different religions view the definition in, er... more than one way." The elf girl, visibly unfamiliar with theological concerns, swiftly changes the subject. "She talked to me as a person, showed herself as a person. Nothing like a grand intervention of some being of unspeakable power or whatever..."

    The wizard girl, however inexperienced she is with the human world, somehow senses Waylan's unease. She looks at him with her serious, pale blue eyes. "And I think... I think she would have done the same with any of us. She, er, didn't say I was chosen or anything... I was just first to put my hand on this hidden door."

    Spoiler: Regarding loot
    Show
    Elrembriel and Aurora already drank one CLW each. There are 2 left, up to you guys but if I were Filburn or Irabeth I would partake.

    Elrembriel can take one comprehend languages scroll, and optionally one cause fear scroll but is equally happy to let Waylan have it.

    Aurora would of course benefit from the ring of protection, but the other front-line combatants could use it too. Looking at the discussion in the Hangout, I suggest Morevek takes the ring and Aurora the potion of barkskin.

    Also somebody should take the Spider Climb. Useful for going behind enemy lines in a situation such as the recent one. Especially if you can do Vanish or similar.

    Other items such as weapons and armor, including the leather +1 aren't useful. Stack them up for selling later.

    Unholy water: I would just pour the flasks out, but not inside. Outside in the street would be fine. The unholy symbols can probably be destroyed in the course of even our minimal cleanup action.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Morevek, having appointed himself something of a bodyguard for Elrembriel while her attention is focused on the detection of secret passages, watches her efforts from a few feet away. He darts forward to catch the slender elf girl, lowering her gently to the ground for the brief moment of her unconsciousness, but in his momentary surprise is unable to gather his surging thoughts to form a comment before her recovery becomes apparent.

    "All appears... well, for the moment, Filburn. Elrembriel will have to share her... encounter in less pressing times, but it appears for the moment that we must... ameliorate the condition of this place to proceed." The uncertainty in the tiefling's voice is evident over the Message spell.

    Disgusted at the mass of flesh and stymied by the combination of fluids and solids that obscure and profane the many sacred objects encountered in the barracks thus far, Morevek retraces the party's path through the first floor. As he explores the small chamber where their alchemist foe was first encountered, he examines the alchemical tools and implements appraisingly. After making a mental note to ensure their emptiness and cleanliness with the appropriate deference to the mistress of their current location, he inspects a long wooden sword case wrapped with cord. With a few murmurs and a gesture, he directs an intent gaze that is somehow even deeper than his eyes' typical fathomless black at the bundle.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic and inspecting the bundle; also using Perception: (1d20+8)[11] to search for evidence of danger. Failing to find any, he will open the sword case.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    "Oh, well alright," responds the swordsman as he continues to scan the stairs to the upper floor. "Can we begin moving again or not? I understand the desire to restore the defaced temple and will help if it is truly urgent, but I think we should find a way to continue the assault.
    These cultists probably won't be receiving reinforcements soon, but the longer we give them to prepare for us the worse our own attack will go. How shall we proceed?
    "

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    "The passage I found is allowed to us by... HER..." The Message spell carries reverent, hushed tones from Elrembriel. "I am certain this passage is unknown of the demons and cultists, for She would never have allowed them. So, we have a strong chance at surprise."
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-09-24 at 10:29 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Morevek's efforts prove fruitful. First, as he opens the traveling scabbard, Irabeth interrupts in surprise: "What? That's- That's my father's blade!" Her excitement is almost palpable, as she looks around the room. One by one, her eyes seem to ask permission to retrieve the blade, and with your collective blessings, she does so. Excitement quickly fades to confusion, as the unspoken question begins to weigh on everyone's mind: how did it get here?




    Several minutes later, with Waylan's help, much of the shrine has been righted. Several pews have been stitched back together by Waylan's divine involvement, and the walls look more like a shrine than the sides of a cess pit. Morevek begins to inspect the altar- or perhaps more accurately- the inscription behind the altar. Waylan steps forward, pleased with their work, to offer his respects to the Lady of Valor. As he kneels, inspiration strikes Morevek, and the lithe Magus likewise takes a tentative knee before Iomedae's emblem. For the third or fourth time, a short breath of fresh air seems to pulse through the lower floor.

    Suddenly, the inscription seems to shift. Where once were flowing letters and graceful arcs, now a single short-hafted longsword seems to have been scrawled from wall to wall. Along it's blade are inscribed the words, "let us inherit thine arms, Iomedae."

    The air settles once more, as the two heroes breathe in and out.


    Meanwhile, Irabeth, Aurora, and Elrembriel do their best to dismantle and remove the hideous fleshy monstrosity that desecrates the temple proper. It takes almost as long to remove the form, dumping it in pieces outside the front doors as it takes for Morevek and Waylan to finish their work, and much of the temple is simply beyond reasonable repair. The frescoes and busts will require the attention and expertise of master craftsmen like those from whom the works were first commissioned. The smell is somewhat abated, however, and the temple is a decidedly less vile mockery by the time the party reconvenes in the hallway beneath the stairs.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Now what?

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "What? That's- That's my father's blade!"
    "Indeed. According to this note," he hands the folded paper to Irabeth, "It serves also as... proof of Kandro's... duplicitousness. A fortuitous happenstance."

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    The lithe Magus likewise takes a tentative knee before Iomedae's emblem. For the third or fourth time, a short breath of fresh air seems to pulse through the lower floor.

    Suddenly, the inscription seems to shift. Where once were flowing letters and graceful arcs, now a single short-hafted longsword seems to have been scrawled from wall to wall. Along it's blade are inscribed the words, "let us inherit thine arms, Iomedae."
    Morevek kneels, still as a statue, as the inscription is revealed to himself and Waylan. The sudden pulse of moving air flutters through his onyx-black hair, and he turns widened black-pool eyes to the cleric. His lips part as though to speak, and close again. Turning to face the fore, he blinks up at the inscription before suddenly standing once more. "Aurora and Irabeth should... see." He spins on his heel to seek out the warrior-women who labor with the others to remove the grotesque flesh-thing.

    As the party reconvenes, Morevek's words are more halting and tentative than the others have ever heard. "We... we saw words, when we... knelt. Surely... Iomedae shows her... favor?" He looks from Aurora to Irabeth... and finally to Elrembriel.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Aurora exchanges a knowing glance with Irabeth. Deliberately, and silently, she comes to kneel next to her comrades. She stays there, without a word, but her face can be read as clearly as any book, for the torrent of emotion within her mind is readily apparent.

    Behind her, Elrembriel has a hesitant start, when Morevek intently looks at her. She doesn't answer, but simply comes to kneel, right behind the paladin. "Filburn, I think you will want to come join us", she whispers. "Sruech'ul can keep guard for a while." The owl flies in, to perch on a discarded piece of furniture at the bottom of the stairs, his head rotating all around in the unsettling manner of his kind.

    Perfectly still, Aurora waits until the whole group is gathered. Her voice then comes, loud, clear, with a hint of joy mingled with the prayer:

    "Let us inherit thine arms, Iomedae."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perception for Sruech'ul
    (1d20+12)[29]
    Stealth (1d20+20)[28]
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-09-26 at 08:16 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Once relieved of watching for demonic attackers Filburn joins the others and helping with the heavy lifting. Though not personally religious, the half-elf kneels respectfully as the others do. Not really expecting anything, he waits patiently for them to move again before approaching the secret passageway cautiously.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Waylan nods towards Morevek in reassurance as the divine writing emerges from the walls. "The Lady of Valor smiles on our efforts. Come, let us inform the others..."

    When the rest of the group is gathered he recites in unison with Aurora, encouraging his comrades to do the same:
    "Let us inherit thine arms, Iomedae."
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    At Aurora's voice, a silent orb of near-blinding light appears over the shrine's humble altar. Without a word, it begins to drift slowly northward. It passes through the door, past the stairs and into the temple before turning to the west and flowing through the air along the southern wall. It passes into the wall, through the precise center of the door Elrembriel previously located. A heavy silence once again settles over the party, now gathered near the temple's altar.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Elrembriel knows the door opens via command word.


    Spoiler: Upon recitation of the phrase:
    Show
    With a quiet click, a seam appears. Suddenly visible to all, the wall that masks a hidden door recedes upon itself, gliding into some unseen vacancy beneath the stony surface. Within the space of a few heartbeats, a small chamber is revealed.

    The chamber, unlike the rest of the garrison, is completely free of dust and refuse. A brilliant, platinum holy symbol of Iomedae hangs unmolested on the wall above a weapon rack filled with all manner of swords, crossbows, and spears. Three wooden dummies line the northern wall, bearing a trio of pristine suits of armor. A shelf across from the weapon rack holds several leather quivers, each stamped with a golden sun, and inscribed with a description of its contents. Two silver shields hang from pegs on the wall.

    Spoiler: Loot!
    Show
    Much of this is labeled or otherwise apparent, though some is not. There are:
    3 masterwork cold-iron longswords
    2 MW cold-iron short swords
    2 MW heavy crossbows
    a MW composite longbow (+3 str)
    a MW cold iron heavy mace
    2 MW cold iron longspears

    50 cold iron bolts
    100 cold iron arrows
    a +1 cold iron longsword (not identified)
    (5x) +1 holy arrows
    (1x) arrow of evil outsider slaying

    (1x) amulet of natural armor +1 (not identified)
    (1x) chain shirt +1 (not identified)
    (1x) breastplate +1, emblazoned with Iomedae's holy symbol (not identified)
    (1x) cloak of resistance +1 (not identified)
    (1x) masterwork steel shield
    (1x) +1 blinding shield (not identified)

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Elrembriel rises. Slowly, she walks to the hidden door her magic uncovered earlier. Reverently, she places a hand on it, and utters the prayer, in the soft tones of her high-pitched voice:

    "Let us inherit thine arms, Iomedae."

    As the door opens to reveal Iomedae's boon, she kneels again, without thinking, as she looks over this gift of an arsenal for war.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Morevek stands, curiously relaxed, just behind Elrembriel's shoulder as she prayerfully murmurs the pass phrase. As the door opens to reveal the trove within, his bushy black eyebrows rise, and he glides gracefully into the chamber, admiring and appraising the contents within. Methodically working from one piece to the next, he murmurs quietly (but with precise elocution) each object's properties in the air of one working through a textbook. "There's... much here to aid our effort, and... that of the defenders." he says thoughtfully at the end.

    He finds an amulet hanging from a small, simple peg near the protective cloak, and after scrutinizing it, he lifts it and places its chain around his neck. His skin, an almost glossy white, seems to take on a less reflective cast, and it seems to look almost scaly in appearance. After a few stretches to confirm that his movements remain unimpeded, Morevek steps out of the hidden chamber, standing tall and confident. With a flick of the wrist, he sends his blade on a graceful, practiced spin at his side while he waits for the others to review the tangible indicators of Iomedae's favor. His tail draws lazy circles in the air just behind his knees as he waits, leaned against the wall with an expectant air.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As mentioned in Hangouts, Morevek is claiming the Amulet of Natural Armor until someone cares enough to object. :D
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2017-09-30 at 12:10 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Waylan traces Iomedae's holy symbol in the air and says a quiet prayer of thanksgiving as his allies enter the trove, before following. His gaze slides off most of the more martial implements of war, though he does like the heft of a particular mace. He is drawn immediately to the quivers of finely crafted arrows hanging alongside a tremendous longbow, along with a few of obviously magical quality. He transfers the quivers to his own pack and holds up the magic arrows individually, sighting along the shafts to confirm their straightness and accuracy.

    "The lady smiles on our efforts to undo the desecration. Come, choose your equipment and let us finish vanquishing the demons that caused it!"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Waylan can use the MW heavy mace as well as the magic arrows. He doesn't need the +3 Str composite longbow.

    He will also take the +1 chain shirt unless Filburn wants it.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Filburn watches the display of religious fervor silently, his eyes widening when the secret armory is revealed. After Morevek and Waylan each look inside and remove several items Filburn approaches and begins scanning the treasure trove. Passing over the various melee weapons he tests the pull of the longbow. Nodding appreciatively he looks to Waylan. When the archer gestures for Filburn to take it the half-elf does, along with a quiver of cold iron arrows. After placing his shortbow in place of the upgrade he continues looking.

    When he gets to the armor and shields his eyes light up in excitement. Looking down at his own chainshirt he smirks and begins removing it quickly and puts on the enchanted one. "If you are listening, thanks you," he murmurs. Then he goes and exchanges his shield for the magical one. "Aurora, you already have an enchanted shield - I will take this one."

    Then, as he places his old chainshirt and shield in the armory he says, "If we get out of this alive, we should bring the contents of this chamber back with us. The remaining defenders could certainly use such a stash in defense against the demons." Then, standing better armed and armored he nods and looks back towards the stairs. "So...I don't see another way upstairs. The potion of spider climb could help one of us, but we can't all get up that way. I think we could get an advantage if we could blind some of the defenders - shall I lead the charge and try?"

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Morevek murmurs, "I've a rope, and with the potion of Spider Climb could... search for a window into an... unoccupied space, should one exist. With luck, we might avoid the... likely ambush that awaits." His clawed tail rises behind him in a manner not unlike a serpent rising, and curls sinuously, coming to give the impression of a question mark.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Aurora walks in, bowing her head in grateful reverence for this godly boon. She only takes a quiver of arrows for herself, recognizing how much of a blessing she already received in the discovery of Radiance. "Indeed, this arsenal will be of great help later. Let us not forget our immediate goal, however - the upper floors here. The idea of seeking a window is an intriguing one... provided we can pass through it," she muses as she pulls out the sketch of a map, earlier provided by Irabeth.

    While the others ponder tactics, Elrembriel walks into the arsenal chamber, assessing everything. Her eyes fall on a beautifully woven cloak of blue velvet, embroidered with runes of protection in silver thread. A words of thanks on her lips, she dons the elegant garment. As she passes in front of the holy symbol, she looks at it admiringly, but doesn't dare touch it. "Lady Aurora, by all rights this should be yours".

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "If we get out of this alive, we should bring the contents of this chamber back with us. The remaining defenders could certainly use such a stash in defense against the demons."
    Irabeth nods eagerly. "Perhaps... They could use this stuff now, likelier than not- still, perhaps we can call upon Crel and his companions? It would take but a few minutes for them to retrieve... at least the bulk of these supplies, though... who could take them to the rest of the defenders?" The concern is grounding, but the paladin nonetheless casts it aside for the moment.

    At Elrembriel's words, Aurora looks to Irabeth with a shocked expression, her denial already taking form on her lips. Irabeth interrupts her, however with a comfortable smile and a nod. "Indeed, Iomedae has seen fit to bless you among all others, Ser Pelleas. Bear her diadem proudly into the darkness." The two lock eyes briefly, the elder and higher ranking paladin inclines her head slowly- a startling sign of respect. "Let the light of the everlasting sun be your guide."

    With a sombre nod, Aurora retrieves the symbol.

    "Are we still fit to continue? I am loathe to give them time to reconvene, but it will serve no purpose if we fail on the upper floors..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Moving on! There is one visible alternative entry, if you care to pursue it. Pn the second floor, a shutter opens just above the front entrance, into the Aerie.

    As Irabeth has mentioned, retreating and resting/recovering/healing is not out of the question. It will take the demonic forces time to react to your presence, one way or another.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    "I've a rope, and with the potion of Spider Climb could... search for a window into an... unoccupied space, should one exist. With luck, we might avoid the... likely ambush that awaits."
    Filburn shakes his head. "I don't like the odds - we might get everyone up through a second-story window without being heard or interrupted, but too many of us are armored or not cut out for climbing. It will be slow, loud, and risky.

    Now, scouting and possibly ambushing from two sides - that I could get behind. We need to have a strong push from the stairs, distracting any defenders while perhaps you and one other get in through the window. I think I could manage it with a rope and wall to brace myself...
    " Filburn muses as he looks at the others. "Aurora and Irabeth could lead the charge in here - Elrembriel, can you summon any reinforcements or create an illusion of allies?"

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Filburn has a +8 to climb. The more heavily armored or weaker (low Strength score) PCs won't have great odds of success, even with a rope and wall.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    "Terendelev's scale!" Waylan pipes up. "I'd almost forgotten, but it can be used to levitate the bearer up or down on command. I or anyone else could use it to gain access to the window more easily. Beyond that my means are limited -
    I feel that I have drawn on all of Erastil's power that I can manage for the day. I feel I'm not much more than a farmer with a bow at the moment...
    "
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    "I think it could help Crel, a lot!" Elrembriel becomes animated at Irabeth's idea of helping her mongrel friends with better armor and weapons. "Let me see... I'll write a message for him, and ask Sruech'ul to carry it! He did that many times in and around Neatholme." Soon, the owl is equipped with a scribbled message and a simple map of where and how to find Iomedae's hidden arsenal. It departs with its load of hope for the beleaguered resistance fighters.

    Next, the young elf girl follows Waylan's reasoning. "Will Terenderev's gift offer you enough power to take the lot of us upstairs?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming Crel and his band aren't very far and Elrembriel knows where they are. If she does, then I believe the owl will be able to find the way thanks to their empathic link.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2017-10-05 at 10:15 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2013

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Next, the young elf girl follows Waylan's reasoning. "Will Terenderev's gift offer you enough power to take the lot of us upstairs?"
    Waylan shakes his head. "Not quite. It has enough power to lift three of us, but only one at a time, so we'll have to drop it from the window or have Kestros here transfer it between uses. It won't be the fastest way up, but it might lend us the element of surprise..."

    Spoiler: OOC Mechanics
    Show
    Terendelev's Scale of Cloudwalking
    Three times per day, as a standard action, this scale can be used to cast levitate. In addition, a small pillar of clouds rises below the levitating object or creature, providing 20% concealment to any creature or object contained within.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)


    Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    As Elrembriel scrawls a brief missive, Sruech'ul taps a talon nervously on the wizard's shoulder. He raises and lowers his wings several times, already picking up hints of Elrembriel's intentions well before the note is ready. He stills himself for just long enough to attach the scrap to his leg with a piece of string. With little more than a quiet "hoot!", he hops to the air, flitting through the dungeon with near-silent wings.

    Spoiler: Mongrels
    Show
    It's not a problem at all. What exactly are you wanting to tell Crel and his scouts?

    Spoiler: scale
    Show
    I'm going to rule that the levitate spell is ultimately only sufficient to move one figure at a time. We won't worry about weight limitations for that figure, but Aurora lifting each member of the party for a single use of the spell is not kosher. Up to three of you could use the levitate (one each, per daily uses). The rest will need to break out a rope (with significant circumstantial bonuses from having potentially 3 friends help to haul you up).

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

    As it become clear that the others plan to attack from the window Filburn shrugs and continues to stand watch. "All paths forward hold risk. If you all think this is best I will go that way. I can climb passably well, so use the magic of the scale on those less capable," he says. "I have some small amount of magic left - I can make someone invisible to the eye, more dexterous, and could make myself more fleet of foot.
    If any of that will help, let me know.
    "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •