New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

Waylan stands awkwardly with the unfamiliar accessories pinned to his tunic, jingling slightly as his weight shifts back and forth. From his shoulder, Kestros the hawk studies them intently. "Bloody impractical things, aren't they?" he whispers as he gently strokes the creature's crest. He notes Filburn's emotional response at his side. "At least he's happy about them..."

When the ceremony is concluded Waylan tries an awkward bow, grimacing slightly as the medals clink together. "This is quite an honor, your majesty. And these visions you speak of - a great blessing from the gods, indeed. I know I speak for us all when I say that we will strive to be worthy of their ideals, and to carry out our mission. Is there anything left to be done before we depart?"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Grace wasn't...she couldn't....the answer the queen gave her was more nebulous than she had hoped, but it would have to do, for it was what she received, nodding to the wise words, and gripping the swords hilt, she bowed as she moved backwards, about faced, and then strode off, finding her own abode, her own bed, nothing more than the cot she was given before, in the public area.

This wouldn't do, sleep did not come to her, no matter what she did, it stayed, hidden from her. Finally, after several frustrating hours of no-sleep, she sat up, grabbed her blade, and strode off, determined to find a place to prayer, in this place, even with how it was, there has to be some kind of temple or shrine to Iomedae! After getting lost, and utterly failing to find anything, she went to the one place she knew, and grabbed some mid rations, sat and contemplated, stirring her porridge.

But she didn't need to find a temple, she could do it anywhere.

Finishing her meal, she strode off to the practice area, where they had been practicing the day before, and began practicing. Focusing, and praying to Iomedae.

It was unorthodox, but nothing Grace did recently had not been. So this worked, the strength of her limbs returned, and invigorated her, gave clarity to her cloudy mind, and she could thin, as she went through several manuevers, yes, this was working, she thought, as Radiance's tip hits the mat and is sent flying from her hands, clattering to a stop outside the sparring ring. Grace stops, anger flooding her thoughts, she drops to her knees, it's as if she was back in front of that endless horde again, nothing she could do would help, 'Why?' she whispered, 'Why me?' 'Why was I the one?' Tears flooded from her face as no answers came, and she curled into a ball right there on the mat and fell asleep with tears in her eyes.

Waking up, she did so by the beam of light that shone into her eyes, her hands clasping the blade she had dropped, she felt good, the sleep had helped. Lifting herself, she shook off the dust, and laid Radiance back in it's scabbard 'one day, you and me will figure it out, it may need to be sooner than later however' she whispered to it, once done, she strode off to get some breakfast, raising an eye brow from those who were entering the sparring ring to get some early practice in, as she was leaving seemingly already done with hers.

She makes her way to the street with the others, avoiding eye contact, but making it when it was unavoidable, she stood with them, nodding to the queen as she spoke to her, she was in her own world the entire time, and her eyes widened as she was touched, medals being placed upon her. "Er, yes, thank you." she says awkwardly, bowing to the queen.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

The queen nods stoically, but happily, as the heroes accept their commendations and awards. Though the ceremony is awkward for some and overwhelming for others, in but a few moments, great cheers erupt from the slowly-gathering onlookers. This moment, the inception of the 5th crusade, is one that everyone in Defender's Heart, and indeed probably Kenabres will remember for the rest of their lives. The turning of the tide; the day a handful of previously unknown heroes took the fury and wrath of the righteous, and let it loose upon the demons in their own territory. It's several seconds before the cheers die down, and even then, it seems every refugee and survivor wants to keep hold of the hope a little longer. For what feels like hours, swarms of cheerful, exuberant citizens make their way past, hoping to shake a hand or touch a garment for the heroes who saved Kenabres. All overwatched by the unrelenting eyes of Galfrey's coterie, the situation once again threatens only discomfort while greatly bolstering the spirits of the people.

It takes several minutes before the jubilation moves mostly indoors, for it doesn't truly die down until the heroes depart, and the roads are reasonably traversable once more. "Let's be off, then. Your army awaits, champions." Galfrey leads the way northward, past the perimeter of protected homes and shops surrounding Defender's Heart and into the city proper. Once more, the remnants of destruction make themselves known, though you notice that even in the last two days since Galfrey's arrival, the "safe zone" has spread. Like some sort of benign fungus, repair and restoration have begun spreading in the ruined city, as survivors who fled the initial destruction now flood back into the relative safety of stone walls and population density. Well beyond the area patrolled by the Eagle Watch, scattered pockets of recent construction shine like beacons amongst damaged or destroyed buildings.

As you pass through the walls of the city, the strangeness of the demon's assault is made evident once more. For all their splendor, stone walls some 30 feet thick might as well not have existed. The fortifications show virtually no signs of damage, suggesting that they've long outlived their value as defensive structures. In the new ages of warfare, magic and madness have made walls little more than grand, robust relics.

You pass beyond into the open space beyond, traditionally kept clear for as much as a mile as a kill zone in the event of a protracted siege. In the days since the assault, this task has fallen by the wayside as have so many others, and thick scrub has already begun to infiltrate. Not enough to hamper overland travel overmuch, and absent entirely on the heavy stone road, it nonetheless serves as a reminder of the power of nature to adapt and overcome when no longer rebuffed by mortal means.

In this space, as small contingent/ of Queen Galfrey's army awaits your arrival. Gathered around perhaps a dozen small fires, in the enter of a wide patch of once-more-cleared flatlands, a hundred mail and plate-clad men and women banter and carry on, no doubt anxious of the journey to come. As you approach, a dark skinned cleric, a pale-faced scout, and a blonde haired Halfling woman separate themselves from the chatter and step out to meet you.

Bowing respectfully before Queen Galfrey, she takes the opportunity to reintroduce you. "Sosiel Vaenic, Aron Kir, and Nurah Dendiwhar will help you manage your forces. Despite what you just witnessed, I am not overly fond of ceremony. You have a lot of work ahead of you- I wish you luck, and hope to hear of your triumph soon." She looks over the strange band, including Irabeth, Anevia, and the newly-restored Aravashnial for a few heavy moments. "If you have any further questions of me, this is the time."

Your concerns as satisfied as they will be, the queen departs, surrounded once more by a small band not entirely dissimilar than yours, into the walls of the ruined city.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Before the procession leaves the safety of the keep, Filburn finds Aravashnial and smiles broadly at the old elf. "Honored Riftwarden, please let me introduce myself to your eyes - I am Filburn, and very happy to see your vision restored. Will you be coming with us to Drezen? We would be very grateful for a mage of your experience and power to assist in the recovery of that city. If you cannot come, I understand, but hope you will..."

As the party makes their way out of the city he rides up to Irabeth and her sister, and asks similar questions. "Commander Irabeth, none of my companions have any experience leading an army. You held together the refugees and organized a successful defense against the demonic hordes. Would you consider lending us your aid and leading the army in an offensive? Of course, your sister and her aid would also be quite welcome," he says, turning to the other woman with a smile. "After all, we were grateful for her help as we ascended from the depths. Would you both come with us?"

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Well met, good masters" Waylan greets the trio of experts as they are reintroduced. "We are happy to be riding with you in earnest, though I wish it were under cheerier circumstances."

Once the procession begins to move he guides Auspice over to Aron Kir, the cleric of Shelyn. "It is good to ride with another man of the faith, my friend," he begins. "I never thought to see a day when The Eternal Rose and Old Deadeye were united in such common cause, let alone rallying behind the banner of the Inquisitor. We live in strange times... Still your divine blessings will be much valued, and hope my own modest powers can aid us some as well. The Queen said you were stationed here in Kenabres, before - have you ever made the journey to Drezen?"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Grace rode along with everyone, mostly quite, she knew nothing of what was going on, even if they wanted to 'insist' she did, or had, it was all new to her, so he soaked it all in, perhaps they would be in need of her in the future, and their expectations may mold that need, she would be what she could be when they needed, but for now, she enjoyed being outside the camp, it was almost stifling to her, and she had Radiance on her hip.

She nods and listens to the conversations as the others pick up with the new members.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

7. - Top - End - #457

When the group departs from Kenabres, Elrembriel nearly finds herself overwhelmed, once more. The adulation of the city's survivors is too much; don't they realize this is just a puny group of would-be saviors, heading straight into a city full of demons, a quasi-suicidal mission, the flimsiest of hopes one could imagine? But then that strange emotion, hope, finds its way into her frightened heart. Maybe we're a foolish hope, but it's the one they have. She casts a shy glance in the direction of "Grace". She can't begin to understand what happened to her own personal hero, to transform her into this strangely out-of-place warrior. Suddenly, an idea strikes her. A crusade must have a banner. That might cheer her up at least. She begins a soft chant...

"Aujourd'hui nous partons pour la guerre
    Dernier espoir d'un peuple endeuillé!
    Puissions-nous voir en cette bannière
    Vigueur, courage et fermeté!"

... she defiantly points her arm in the air, and an immense, luminous banner appears above her! Easily ten paces in width, bathed in golden light, it floats far above them, displaying a vastly oversized picture of Radiance in full glory, the resemblance with the Inheritor's holy symbol clear as day, flanked by two other images: Queen Galfrey's insignia on the left side, and on the right, a circle of five silvery dragon scales.

Spoiler
    Show
    This display requires a use of Wild Arcana to cast Major Image. Elrembriel will maintain concentration as long as she can, as long as the party is with city limits.

8. - Top - End - #458

NecromancerGuy

As the enormous, illusory banner appears Filburn smiles and murmurs to his sword, "[That's quite a nice touch...can we cast spells like that?"

Probably, but not immediately - besides there are more important things right now...

"More important than the spirits of these men and women about to lay down their lives? You're pretty heartless sometimes..."

I'm a sword - what do you expect?

"You're a fool - its a lovely gesture and I think Elrembriel had a great idea..."

Their argument continues silently, punctuated by frequent twitches, as the army marches out of town.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Grace is almost shocked by the appearance of the banner, but almost instantly smiles, it felt....right, and filled her with pride. She may not remember a lot of things, but this was a good thing, she looked at Elrembriel with a beaming smile and nodded her thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

"Well met, indeed," the dark-skinned Shelynite Sosiel responds, nodding his head respectfully to Waylan. "I can't say this is a path I've yet traveled," he admits with a wry smirk. "That said, I've pored over the maps at great length, and made part of the journey before. Until we cross the Vilareth Ford, I'll be on familiar territory." Unasked, Nurah nonetheless pipes up. "I have! It- uh, well, it's not so nice to look at, but I lived in Drezen before it was lost. The soldiers always need bolstered spirits, and I helped keep them upright!"

Smiling gently, Sosiel places a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure we'd all love to hear about it, once we get on our way, yeah?" Turning to the group, he unrolls a simple map, showing little more than a slightly winding river with a grand bluff tracking it on the west. "My plan is to track the Sellen River northwards, crossing at the Ford I already mentioned. Further north, we'll reach the Ahari River- it's dry now, but still the best route up onto the escarpment. It's still not an easy climb, exactly, but it can be done with pack animals. I wouldn't try it with anything larger than a mule anywhere else..."

"It should take us about 5 days to reach Drezen, by this route," Sosiel continues, having addressed questions about the route already. "Right now, we're set for 10 days, so that gives us another 5 to take the city, before... well, let's not take any longer than that, eh? There's no foraging in the Worldwound, so what we can carry is what we're going to have." He chuckles, showcasing his preferred method for handling potentially deadly difficulties. His lithe and pale-skinned counterpart, Aron, looks like he might be sick.

"Any other questions?"

11. - Top - End - #461

NecromancerGuy

"Won't the ford be watched the demons? We can't get to Drezen completely unseen, even with a small army, but the point is to surprise them. What kind of defenses does Drezen have?" asks Filburn as he tries to imagine a surprise attack performed by their army of paladins. "We cannot win a siege, especially against enemies who don't need to eat, so we have to take the walls and enter the city immediately. Can we do that if the river is watched and its bank guarded?

For that matter, what scouts do we have so that we aren't surprised ourselves? Or is that where all of us come in?
    "

12. - Top - End - #462

"I believe I can help at least a little... I can try to use magical sight to look at a place, although it will be from a distance. And once we're there, there is a way a small number of us could be enchanted to climb the walls quickly and safely. This would be advantageous, wouldn't it?" Elrembriel suggests, her pale cheeks turning a slight shade of pink. "But we should ask Master Aravashnial for his own view."

Spoiler
    Show
    she can use Clairvoyance to spy, and (with 1 use of mythic power) the can do a Communal Spider Climb to get 6 people to climb.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-12-12 at 12:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463

NecromancerGuy

As Sosiel explains the details on the map to Filburn, his expression - and his tic - intensifies. With a scowl of thought (not anger) he turns to the side and concentrates in silence for a moment. "Our army needs scouts, a vanguard to get them to Drezen in secret. We," he gestures to the assembled heroes, "need to do it. We have to clear the ford of demons before the army gets there. Then we do the same all the way up the riverbed. I think it's the best way. It means a forced march for us, but we have to do it to have a chance. We leave behind markers that the way is safe and the army follows a half-day behind, arriving fresh and ready to take the walls of Drezen."

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek looks up from the medals, freshly pinned on his simple, linen outer robe, to the cheers of the crowd. Something stirs within him, forcing him to stand taller and straighter despite the weight of the expectations undergirding the hope of the crowd.

As the commotion wanes, he looks around to note the arrival of the Tirabade sisters with a subtle smile; when he lays eyes on Aravashnial to note the wizard's restoration of sight, the tiefling swordsman breaks into a broad grin, exposing (perhaps for the first time some in the party have seen) somewhat.. pointier teeth than the average resident of Kenabres. He makes his way over to the elven wizard before bowing gracefully before him. "It is good to see... and better still, to be seen, by you, honored mage."

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Elrembriel defiantly points her arm in the air, and an immense, luminous banner appears above her! Easily ten paces in width, bathed in golden light, it floats far above them, displaying a vastly oversized picture of Radiance in full glory, the resemblance with the Inheritor's holy symbol clear as day, flanked by two other images: Queen Galfrey's insignia on the left side, and on the right, a circle of five silvery dragon scales.
    Morevek gazes upward appreciatively at Elrembrield's handiwork, favoring the elf maid with a broad smile and a brief nod.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "Won't the ford be watched the demons? We can't get to Drezen completely unseen, even with a small army, but the point is to surprise them. What kind of defenses does Drezen have?" asks Filburn as he tries to imagine a surprise attack performed by their army of paladins. "We cannot win a siege, especially against enemies who don't need to eat, so we have to take the walls and enter the city immediately. Can we do that if the river is watched and its bank guarded?

For that matter, what scouts do we have so that we aren't surprised ourselves? Or is that where all of us come in?
    "
    Morevek nods sagely at Filburn's concerns and questions. "I... will be happy to... be our eyes at the fore. What little travel I have made has... not enamored me of what some call... 'small talk'." The magus gives a smile, probably intended to be apologetic, but given the angularity of his features and his typically serious demeanor, it's hard to be sure.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylon nods at Filburn’s suggestions. “Aye, it’s sensible...” He suddenly frowns. “Though I think it may be just as important to ensure that they are not scouting us, so to speak. If the demons learned of our mission in enough time to make their own reinforcements, the outcome for us would be... most regrettable. We can’t let any of them escape.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Army and Notable NPCs:
    Show
    Knights of Kenabres: ACR 3
    LG Medium army of humans (Paladin 4)
    HP: 16
    DV 20 (24 vs spellcasters) OM +10, ranged
    Tactics: Expert flankers, standard, withdraw, spell breaker
    Resources: improved armor, improved weapons (mwk cold iron), mounts, ranged weapons (longbow)
    Special: Aura of Courage, channel positive energy, divine health, lay on hands, mercy, smite evil, spellcasting
    Speed: 3 Morale: +1, Consumption: 3
    Boon(s): Bloodied but Unbroken
    Stock: 50/50 units of food and water

Anevia Tirablade: Rogue who fights alongside her sister, Irabeth. Helps scout during travel. Her reports grant free battle flied advantage to the Knights, increasing OM and DC by 2.
    Aravashnial: Sole surviving member of the Riftwardens, sight now restored by Queen Galfrey. Grants the Knights the Spellbreaker bonus tactic, and increases the DV by 4 against armies with the spell casting ability.
    Aron Kir: Rogue and Low Templar, friend and colleague with Sosiel. His training as a commander and battle tactics grant the Knights a +1 DV.
    Horgus Gwerm: Unabashed opportunist and former nobleman of Kenabres. His support reduces the army's consumption cost by 2.
    Irabeth Tirablade: Paladin and former commander of the Eagle Watch. Can command the army, and doing so grants Bloodied but Unbroken boon.
    Nurah Dendiwhar: Bard and Field Medic. Her skill ar bolstering courage grants the army a +1 bonus to OM.
    Sosiel Vaenic: Cleric of Shelyn. His faith and inspiring attitude grant the army a +1 bonus to morale.

All of these bonuses are included in the stat block above.

Ultimately, the small team of experts agrees with your concerns, and before long the army sets off. The majority of the day passes uneventfully, as the paladins march northwards. A pair of times, Anevia, and Aron stumbles upon a small pocket of a few demons. The most notable consequence is a certain degree of certainty that the ploy has thus far remained a secret. With only a little effort, the heroes are able to fully surround each small encampment, and slaughter the demons without significant casualty.

After almost a day's travel northwards, Valas' Gift comes into view on the horizon. A small town, once surrounded by the fertile floodplains of the Sellen River, little remains of this erstwhile village but a smoking ruin. Once one of Kenabres' primary sources of food, the farmlands lie ravaged and the town appears utterly destroyed.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is 28 miles north of your potential 36 miles of travel for day one. How do you want to respond?

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan pulls Auspice to a halt, shielding his eyes to study the smoldering ruins of Valas’ Gift up ahead. “This village was much like my own, before. What a terrible waste...” He shakes his head and clenches his jaw. “We’ve some miles to go today, yet. That smoke means that some of the destruction was recent, though... Filburn? Morevek? Would you care to examine the site before the main force moves in?” At his shoulder, the hawk Kestros tilts its head towards its master. “Ah, I haven’t forgotten about you, my friend. But given the destruction I’m afraid a lone bird in the sky would stick out too much. Best leave this task to us earth-dwellers, eh?” he chuckles.
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2020-12-14 at 09:11 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Grace nods, "I agree with both Filburn and Elrembriel assessments, the army will need a distraction, or a strike force to allow them entry, and either way, it should be us." Seeing the smoking barn house, and listening to Waylan's words "Agreed Master Waylan, perhaps we should all go? leave the bulk of the army here, under good leadership, and we can act as vanguard and forward scouts, Filburn and Morevek scouting ahead of us?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

19. - Top - End - #469

NecromancerGuy

Filburn nods and looks to Morevek. "Let's go. At the first sign of danger I will go invisible. When that happens keep safe - I won't be able to help you much without giving myself away. Let's see if there are enemies there and get back," he says before gently guiding his horse to a trot. While still in sight of the army he secures the animal to one of the few trees still standing outside of town and then creeps into town to look for demonic threats.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    I can slow down if needed - it sort of depends on what we find. Assuming Filburn has standard action to spare he can become completely undetectable, so I feel safe doing as I outlined. If more of the party wants to follow that is fine.

Also, I assumed that Filburn got a horse to ride, though he wouldn't bring it with him to fight or anything. I haven't even decided if it has a name he cares to remember...lol...

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Filburn leads the party towards the ruined village, leaving the bulk of the army behind the last ridge (and I assume having put together some method of contacting Irabeth).

As you approach, silence reigns supreme. Not even the occasional cry of a wild animal stirs the quiet, leaving only your footfalls or your mounts' hoofbeats as the only sound- seemingly deafening. A light breeze blows, bringing with it the scents of burning wood and meat, but not much else.

As you pass by the first rows of what once was well tended farmland, you get your first glimpse of the destruction. Only a heavy stone chimney remains standing of the first farmhouse. The rest has been toppled and burned, leaving only a charred husk that once housed honest men. Still, you find no signs of either survivors or pillagers.

Show
    I figured it best to give you something to make/amend your decision. The town is too big for you 5 to reasonably scout it out in less than several days- which you certainly don't have. You could enlist the army to do it with you, and it would still take a substantial amount of time- possibly an entire day.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the size of the ruined town becomes apparent, Morevek shakes his head in disappointment. Whispering over a Message spell cast earlier, he murmurs, "While I am... reluctant to leave stones unturned, we have not the time to search this place. We must... avoid notice, should the demons have eyes here, but we must move onward."

Show
    Morevek suggests the army circle the town, preferably from a distance or behind a ridge to avoid being seen if the demons have sentries or scouts in the town.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan nods at Morevek’s assessment. “Indeed. Every hour we tarry our supplies dwindle, and the chance of being spotted increases. Whatever happened here, it is beyond our help now. If the gods are willing we may be able to asses it further on our way back from Drezen...

When the party returns to the bulk of the army he explains their findings to Irabeth. “And so, Master Morevek and I believe it would be wise to skirt the perimeter of the town, but otherwise to proceed without delay. What do you think?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473

NecromancerGuy

Filburn looks to Elrembriel. "Can you make me fly?" he asks. At her nod he says, "Do it, please. I will become invisible a moment later, fly over the city, and get a birds eye view. Once I am sure we aren't missing something important I will be back."

Then, the half-elf swordsman takes his blade in hand and does as he's described, keeping track of the duration of the fly spell and returning to the party to give his report as it expires.

24. - Top - End - #474

Elrembriel's hair and fingertips light up with a soft blue radiance as she calls on the power of Iomedae to give her friend the power of flight.

"Bien haut, sur les ailes du vent
    Va dans tout ce délabrement
    Voir si l'ennemi nous attend
    Et prévenir tout guet-apens."

Spoiler
    Show
    Second use of mythic power for the day.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2020-12-16 at 08:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Grace pulls up as they talk about the town, her eyes go wide at the destruction, she had seen the wake, the aftermath of the demons attack upon the city they had left, she lived it, but it was...almost normal, she was too used to it, too....numb.

This was different, even though they traveled towards Drezen, a demon infested lost town on the crusade border, she somehow felt the loss, the emotions, the deaths of innocence, it hit her like a tidal wave of guilt.

"But..." she turns to the others "what about the people!" she exclaims, almost whispering, her eyes in a panic.

She calms somewhat as she sees Filburn take flight, her horse feeling it's riders emotions, starts to prance from side to side, agitated.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2020-12-16 at 08:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Though it's only a few minutes, the weighty time passes slowly. Filburn alights once more, before long, and you can tell in his expression, there isn't much hope.

Despite his vantage point and invisibility, he was unable to find any sign of survivors or demonic forces. A fair number of structures remain standing, scattered throughout the ravaged town, but nothing stirred around the two he was close enough to inspect more thoroughly.

If anyone lives here, demonic or otherwise, it will take more effort to find them.

27. - Top - End - #477

NecromancerGuy

Filburn lands and makes his report with a somber tone. "This town is a complete loss. I saw nothing worth going to investigate, nor any threats. The army should keep marching and we should get back ahead of them," he says, sympathy in his eyes for Grace's distraught concern for the people who used to live here. "There's no one left we can help. We have to keep moving..."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan nods at Filburn's conclusion ."Very well. I think that way, skirting the perimeter of the town until we're past, would be best. I'll inform Irabeth and then we can take the vanguard." He wheels Auspice around to go and do just that.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek nods solemnly, before silently wheeling his mount back toward the bulk of their forces.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

The heroes turn away from the ruined shell that was once Valas' Gift. They rejoin the army quickly, who had been waiting for the order to keep moving. It doesn't take long to return to the brisk pace, having ultimately spent only about an hour on the brief investigation.

It's a somber creature that marches past the town (and partially through some of the farmsteads). More than a few rueful glances are directed towards the bulk of the structures, but orders are orders and these men both know better than to argue and understand the warring concerns. Still, it's clear that a number of people aren't exactly happy about the necessity.

The last few hours of sunlight pass uneventfully, and perhaps a bit more quietly than the first several. Just before sunset, the glinting surface of the River Sellen comes into view. Eager for the respite of fresh water, the army presses on the last half mile or so before breaking out tents in the twilight. Aided by magical light from a great many sources, the process is relatively simple.

Show
    The army traveled 35 miles of the needed 160 this day. Consumption of 3 leaves you at 47/50 units of food remaining. There is a morale component to the army's activities. They (like most of you, I think), don't like leaving the ruined village without scouring it for survivors. They understand the need, but that doesn't negate the impact on morale.

Please feel free to address evening activities and/or concerns. I'll post more scene either tonight or tomorrow.