New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

Elrembriel breathes easier upon Irabeth's arrival. For now, a clash seems to have been averted. It's not like there's so many defenders that we can afford infighting.

When Irabeth acknowledges the newcomer's authority, the young girl's instinct is to take a step back and fall silent, trying her best to stay out of the conversation...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan's eyebrows shoot up in surprise as Irabeth falls to her knees but he quickly masters his features to stillness. He directs his consideration to the "messenger" before them, trying to size up the man's character.

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    A bit preemptory: (1d20+10)[14] to get a sense of whether this guy is trying to be deceptive.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

3. - Top - End - #303

NecromancerGuy

As Irabeth kneels Filburn takes a knee also, pulling down his allies one by one if they fail to follow suit. "If she is going to genuflect, all of us should!" he whispers fiercely as he looks up at them. "Listen and keep your eyes open, but show the same respect she does!"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek's brows furrow slightly at the crusader's continued discomfort with his own fiendish features, and his clawed tail pauses its motions before trailing down the swordsman's side toward the comparative safety of his cloak. At Filburn's insistence, the tiefling slides gracefully into a one-kneed bow, his head only barely inclined toward the newcomer, and his own gaze fixed on the latter's face.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #305

Elrembriel moves to retreat to the back of the hallway. But, as the crowd has made for the exits, she finds herself unable to do so with any kind of credible discretion. She stands there, blushing furiously, with no idea what to do. Finally, she meets Filburn's imperious gaze. The look on her face marks her incomprehension, but she nevertheless puts one knee on the ground. She takes that opportunity to bend her head down, which has the advantage of hiding the dark, demonic scar on her cheek.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan allows himself to be pulled down by the insistent Filburn, but he doesn't break his focus on the newcomer.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Sense motive results
    Show
    As far as Waylan can ascertain, the man is legitimately who he claims to be. He seems both to have expected this response from Irabeth and (as will be made clear in the ensuing text) be a little surprised that those who appear to be an unrelated coterie are encouraged by Irabeth to remain and seem to be willing to follow her lead in unfamiliar protocols- if only after the nudging of one of their own.

The lead scout's face is a panoply of expression, including surprise at Frederick's dismissal and your own implicit invitation to stay, relief at Irabeth's behavior, and perhaps amusement at your own. He sighs, the release of an uncountable number of nights sleeping in uncertain circumstances, ready to fight or flee at a moment's warning or less from the watchman. "If you have room, miss," he begins, prompting Irabeth to raise her head in acknowledgement, "my men and I would be grateful for a bed surrounded with walls, covered by a roof, and watched over by anyone but ourselves." Irabeth smirks and nods, familiar with the sentiment and more than happy to oblige. "But first, the missive." He gently places the insignia in a hidden pocket of his jacket absently as he looks upon the rest of the small group. "I will assume your acknowledgement to be indication of these person's need to hear."

"Queen Galfrey is en route to Kenabres." Irabeth releases a breath almost like a punch to the gut. Oddly, the accompanying glance is a flood of relief. "She comes in force, if my calculations are accurate about three days from now." He looks around the square, taking in the vacant windows of buildings left deliberately empty surrounding the squat erstwhile inn. "I think we will need to commandeer more space," he adds, with a smile. "The Queen received your missive calling for aid, and departed as quickly as she could. It is both a relief to find Kenabres largely standing and a tragedy to see so much of it fallen and burnt. Still, somewhat unexpectedly, the demonic forces and cultists have been... less active for the last few days?" Once more his gaze takes in the unexpected foursome. "and unless I miss my guess, I know who is to be thanked... Please, rise Miss Irabeth."

The paladin does so, and nods her acknowledgement of everything he's said. "I cannot sufficiently express my thanks for your haste. Frederick and his men have been performing regular sweeps of the surrounding blocks, to ensure that we don't have any spies roosting under our noses. These buildings should be safe for Queen Galfrey's forces. Nonetheless, I will see to it that they are all inspected at least once more before her arrival."

The scout nods. Then he gestures towards the four of you. "And your..." he searches for a word, and seems unable to find it. "companions?" Irabeth turns to Filburn, smiling. "I think, perhaps, they should introduce themselves."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As noted above, you've got about 3 days to spend as you choose before Queen Galfrey's arrival. This would be an ideal time to address spell book concerns, scroll scribing, any RP you intend regarding the urgent but wary resettlement of Kenabres.

Survivors flock back into the city in the wake of the demonic forces' departure, if still nervous about whether or not it's safe. Many have nowhere else to flee to and have been literally struggling to survive in the semi-barren wilderness. The population of Kenabres only reaches about 6,500 people after all the survivors return- a pale number in comparison to its previous mark of about 12,3000. Despite the feeling that Kenabres is broken and empty, the people walk with purpose and hope once it becomes apparent that what remains of their lives is still in tact, and that it's as safe as ever to begin rebuilding.

None of the more powerful "who's whos" in Kenabres survived the attack. When Galfrey arrives, she will first want to speak with you all (after what I assume will be introductions that lead into a more explicit discussion of the past several days' events), and then impose something like benevolent martial law until such time as a new prelate can be instated.

8. - Top - End - #308

Still a deep shade of red, Elrembriel wishes she would disappear from the surface of the earth. For a moment, the idea crosses her mind that she can do just that thanks to invisibility magic... But the little portion of her mind that's still capable of analytical thinking tells her this would be foolish, so she's just left with the hope that someone else will speak first, and give her time to regain some composure.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    The scout nods. Then he gestures towards the four of you. "And your..." he searches for a word, and seems unable to find it. "companions?" Irabeth turns to Filburn, smiling. "I think, perhaps, they should introduce themselves."
    Waylan nods to Irabeth, clears his throat, and rises to his feet as he begins speaking. "My name is Waylan.
    I am - well, I was - a humble priest in the service of Old Deadeye, serving a small farming community several leagues from here. I arrived in town just a few days before the calamity struck. It has been an... odd journey, to say the least, but Estig has safeguarded me this far.
    "

He gestures to indicate his companions, introducing each of them in turn. "My companions include Filburn Crow, a former Hellknight and a warrior of great skill and acumen. Elrembriel is another visitor to these parts, but her skill with the arcane arts has proved vital to our success on multiple occasions. And Morevek here is the deadliest swordsman I have ever witnessed, turning the ugliness of battle into what could almost be described as a graceful dance." He pauses, remembering the man's apparent misgivings about the tiefling heritage. "Do not misjudge by appearance - together with Commander Irabeth they have vanquished many demons and the every inhabitant of Kenabres is safer for their efforts."

He ceases speaking as if to yield the floor, but then halts, remembering. "Oh, and if word of this should reach the Queen's ears, there is one more name your report must include: Ser Aurora Pelleas, paladin of the Inheritor. She was a tribute to her order and a shining beacon of hope and justice in these dark times. She fell in the battle to secure the Wardstone - long may she be remembered." Waylan's natural reticence at last overcomes him and he falls silent, allowing others to embellish the tale as they wish.

Spoiler: OOC: Preparations
    Show
    I don't think that there is anything that Waylan needs to accomplish in this downtime, mechanically. He'll assist with the recovery efforts especially as they pertain to hunting, farming, and rejuvenating common spaces for the community.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310

Grateful for Waylan's intervention, Elrembriel rises up, still a little unsteady on her feet. It takes an effort, but she manages to look at the newcomer's eyes as she speaks, her sibilant voice firm.

"I am Elrembriel. Waylan is correct, I am a stranger to Kenabres. I joined him, and Morevek, and Filburn, and... Aurora... to help in the fight against the Abyss." As she faces the light, there's nothing for it: The frightful scar on her right cheek is clearly visible, just like dark, burned flesh, but with very sharply defined lines in the shape of a demonic claw.

11. - Top - End - #311

NecromancerGuy

As Irabeth rises from her knees, Filburn silently stands and gestures for the others to stand as well. His eyes grow wide briefly as the news is delivered before he gulps nervously, his mind racing with questions and thoughts.

When invited to introduce themselves, he looks at the rest of his companions and seems to realize that he is likely one of the better choices for nominal-leader left now that Aurora is gone. Nodding as he thinks he turns back to the messenger and is about to speak when Waylan does instead. At his description as a 'former Hellknight' he coughs in surprise, almost interrupting the cleric, but waving him on. After he and Elrembriel are done speaking he says, "I was not a Hellknight - my master was. Before he died I was only his squire. We traveled here intending to join the crusaders against the Worldwound. Even the most evil of his order hate demons, though I do not believe he was a devil-worshipper himself..."

As he realizes that he is rambling and probably not presenting himself favorably to the noble knights before him, Filburn fumbles for a moment before finishing. "I am not him! I try to be a good man!" Then he looks embarrassed and casts his eyes down, appearing to struggle to control himself as he mutters and mumbles. He glances at his sheathed blade and shakes his head before stepping back and letting others speak.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
    "...And Morevek here is the deadliest swordsman I have ever witnessed, turning the ugliness of battle into what could almost be described as a graceful dance. Do not misjudge by appearance - together with Commander Irabeth they have vanquished many demons and the every inhabitant of Kenabres is safer for their efforts."
    Morevek turns his face toward Waylan, the motion smooth and yet uncannily... inhuman. Inclining his head toward the cleric in a nod of acknowledgment, he returns his gaze to the newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "I am not him! I try to be a good man!"
    "I, too, have struggles to overcome. My... parents were crusaders themselves, and the features I bear may... result from their brushes with the evils that until recently were kept at bay by the wardstones. Mother... was an arcanist of some skill, and father's skill was with the blade. I learned... to combine elements of the two disciplines in preparation for a time when such skills might be used in defense of the innocent. It appears... that my time has come."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

The scout listens patiently, seemingly unperturbed by the brief, awkward silence preceding Waylan's words. He nods, acknowledging the cleric's introductions, and inclines his head deeply for a few heartbeats in memorial of Aurora's fall. "May the Inheritor gather her alongside the saints who came before..." he utters, as his head rises inquiringly.

Elrembriel's appearance garners a wary expression, though he keeps his peace as she briefly states her cause. He nods, accepting the simple truths.

The scout's hands rise placatingly at Filburn's sudden interjection. "Peace, friend. I have personally worked alongside many of the various orders. Though it pains me for the state of the rest of humanity, I've found them generally more reliable and upstanding than most. You and your order are more than welcome alongside the crusade."

If he was wary of Elrembriel, the scout is outright uncomfortable in Morevek's presence. His eyes flicker back to Waylan, perhaps recalling the humble cleric's words, before flashing to Irabeth, in obvious pursuit of confirmation thereof. She raises an eyebrow and nods easily, apparently somewhat amused by the scout's concern. "That time may have come for us all," he responds. "I... welcome you, Morevek, and your expertise against the intrusion. May the people rest easy under your watchful eye.1"
    Spoiler: OOC *1*
    Show
    These words are a formal way of acknowledging the enlistment of paladins, knights, and other ordained champions in the order of the Mendevian Crusades. They are at the same time a pronouncement of trust, while perhaps being more of a statement of the obligation of the recipient than the comfort of the speaker.

In essence, the scout has charged Morevek in particular with the task of upholding the honor of the crusades and acting uprightly, in such a manner as to remove his own potential misgivings from the equation. The insignia he bears carries the weight of Queen Galfrey's presence, so you can all rest assured that she will be made to know of everything discussed here prior to her arrival.

The scout nods, and addresses the group. "I am not in a position to receive a full report, though I thank you, on behalf of Queen Galfrey for your efforts repulsing the attack and protecting what remains of Kenabres against the demons and cultists... Now, if we may, my men and I would appreciate the opportunity to rest for a time..."

At Irabeth's beckoning, the party returns inside Defender's Heart, the quartermaster leads the scouts away, and leaves the heroes to their own devices, perhaps pondering the arrival of Mendev's ruler.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"I... welcome you, Morevek, and your expertise against the intrusion. May the people rest easy under your watchful eye."
    Morevek's eyes widen in recognition of the formal, almost ritualistic rhythm of the spoken phrase. He gracefully inclines his head toward the weary scout in acknowledgment, but his otherwise inscrutable expression gives no hint of the internal contemplation taking place.

"I am not in a position to receive a full report, though I thank you, on behalf of Queen Galfrey for your efforts repulsing the attack and protecting what remains of Kenabres against the demons and cultists... Now, if we may, my men and I would appreciate the opportunity to rest for a time..."
    As the scouts are led away and the party excused, Morevek turns to nod perfunctorily at his companions before wordlessly spinning on his heels to retreat into the comparative silence of his allotted space.

15. - Top - End - #315

NecromancerGuy

Filburn's mumbling ceases for a moment as the scout speaks again, before he mutters, "I'm not a Hellknight..." to himself, as if trying to convince himself. As the new arrivals depart to rest he watches them leave with a confused expression, as if wanting to go with them but not really sure how.

After they have left the half-elf shakes his head, obviously frustrated, and watches Morevek leave. Turning to Elrembriel he asks, "Would you look at some notes of mine? I think I am putting together something of what I think I know, but...well...I think you could help. Please?"

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Filburn will first study with Elrembriel, sharing spells and scribing some of hers into his spellbook. Later he does the same with Morevek.

As for the next several days, he doesn't have any item creation powers or feats. If allowed to re-try to learn spells I would do that daily. Otherwise, he might consider purchasing something if he had additional cash. I have posted questions in Google Hangouts.

16. - Top - End - #316

"Gladly, my friend," Elrembriel responds almost eagerly. "Our days since we met have been nothing but battle, death, and despair. At least, this news allows us a little bit of respite. By all means, let's study... The company of books, and a learned one such as yourself, will feel like the world is back to normal, if just for a while."

The elf spends the next days at work with Filburn, exchanging notes on magic, discussing the best use of spells, and sharing the most important arcane formulations for the battles ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell exchanges, etc, discussed in OOC. I think I'll want to coordinate spell lists with all of you at least a little bit. Sure I can use mythic power to cast pretty much anything spontaneously, but I want to avoid wasting that ability, if I can.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-08-01 at 09:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Over the next few days while those with arcane gifts share different formulae with each other, Waylan ranges widely across the ruins of Kenabres assisting the work crews with clearing the major streets and honorably disposing of the fallen. From astride Auspice he is able to coordinate the work and offer encouragement to the men, with a ready supply of clean water minor mendings to the renovation equipment.

On the second morning, Waylan awakens to a wonderful surprise. During his morning prayers a sudden feeling overtakes him - an urge to rush outside and leap up towards the sun. When he does he discovers he can fly! - Erastil's divine power now allows him to buck the shackles of earthly weight and rise up among the clouds. He joins Kestros in a wide circuit around the perimeter of the city, cavorting and rejoicing in his newfound freedom. His face is flush with excitement when he finally descends, and that evening he he leads a special service of thanksgiving in the small garrison chapel. He even interrupts his allies hard at work at their arcane studies: "Friends - you'll never believe what the gods have blessed me with this day!"

Show
    This is my in-character explanation for why Waylan suddenly has ranks in the Fly skill
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So, uh. Hi. I have a kid now, and as some of you surely know, life with an infant is... demanding. Still, I think a significant part of this somewhat impromptu delay is also a result of in-game timing. The break between books 1 and 2 aren't huge, but they are significant, at least from the perspective of a GM setting the new scene. As such, once I finish this post, I think we should be able to move forward with our typical (slow and steady) pace. To that end, I plan to work on this post with whatever time I have, and will announce, either in OOC or Hangouts, when the post is complete and we're ready to begin The Sword of Valor.
    Almost immediately, the attitude of the soldiers and refugees improves. The quarters become increasingly cramped inside Defender's Heart, and before the end of the week, Irabeth has ordered the appropriation and securing of the homes and stores in the surrounding blocks. As refugees straggle in from the wilderness, both hopeful and desperate that the ruined city can provide some semblance of security, increasingly they make use of these buildings for temporary shelter. Less than two days after the scout's arrival, the small square in front of Defender's Heart has replaced the common room as the hub of activity.

Word of the queen's imminent arrival spreads like wildfire. In every corner and habitation, lips are abuzz with talks of the heroes, armies sent to the rescue, and the queen herself. Some claim that she's immortal, as she has held the throne for over a hundred years. Others say she's spoken face to face with Iomedae herself, and still more whisper of visions bestowed upon her by the Inheritor. Some rare few hold fast to thought that she's secretly a traitor, and has been dragging out the conflict intentionally all this time.

Before you know it, Defender's Heart begins to feel like a small village center- if you don't go too far.

Then Galfrey arrives. Accompanied by several thousand road-weary knights, she sets about restoring Kenabres to a place of safety, at least. Faced by overwhelming numbers of battle-tried crusaders, the few remaining demons flee, and the cultists either follow suit or quickly fall back into hiding. Early in the afternoon, Queen Galfrey herself reaches Defender's Heart, preceded by a messenger sent to Irabeth to arrange for a meeting.

As it would be unconscionable to refuse to meet with her, given her direct request for audience, the party is gathered in Irabeth's waiting room, along with Master Quednys Orlun, her most active advisor.

The Queen enters, as regal as can be imagined. Just over average height, she strikes a commanding image bedecked in full battle regalia. Despite obvious fatigue, she carries herself with confidence borne of authority, fully used to being the most important person in whatever room she enters. Weary eyes set close scan the room. She acknowledges the gathered party and allies with a series of short nods and an easy expression. "I understand," she begins, "that you are largely, perhaps entirely, responsible for the existence of what remains." She nods more deeply, almost a bow. "You have my thanks, and the appreciation of all the remaining citizens of Mendev."

She asks a few questions, basic pleasantries and for a first-person recollection of the events. Though the events are unpleasant, her attention and expression never wavers, focusing and taking in the experience as best she can. At your conclusion she nods, quiet for several more moments. "Though they seem paltry, I want to reiterate that you have my thanks. Truly, Kenabres is blessed to have had such defenders. Your ally's sacrifice will not be forgotten."

She breathes deeply, and continues. "While there are some narrow-minded souls among the crusade who blame you for the destruction of the wardstone border, I do not begrudge you for what you did. Far from it. From the sound of it, you saved entire legions of crusaders from a most vile fate by preventing Vorlesh from transforming them, and the blast of energy gave us the time we needed to regroup and prepare for what will certainly come next. However, you understand the implications of what you’ve done, I’m sure—the wardstones are gone, but Iomedae has seen fit that you will be their replacement. I can think of no other reason that would explain why their power would have settled in your bodies and souls and didn’t merely fade into the ether. In time, the demons will regroup and reorganize—we can trust their inherent chaos to make this period of regrouping longer than it otherwise would take, but we shouldn’t underestimate them. They’ll be back soon enough. Already I’ve had reports from along the front lines that small groups of demons are attacking fortifications and settlements along the southern border.

But what intrigues me most is news from several reliable sources that as our fiendish enemies are starting to mass in the southern reaches along the Riftshadow within the Worldwound, they have left several of their northern lairs relatively unprotected. In particular, the fiend Aponavicius has taken the bulk of her army from Drezen, leaving it only moderately protected as she joins with the Storm King in Iz to, no doubt, plot greater attacks on larger targets like Nerosyan, Karcau, and beyond. The time is right to strike into their territory. Drezen was the first of our cities to fall after the First Crusade, and we lost more than our kin and our pride that day. We lost the Sword of Valor, a magical banner carried by the Inheritor herself during the Shining Crusade. If Drezen could be retaken—if the Sword of Valor could once again be held by the crusade... well, I trust I don’t need to explain how well that would affect morale. But with the imminent attacks along the border, I cannot spare many to lead an assault on Drezen. And even if I could, a large army attacking the city would only draw Aponavicius back to defend the place. The obvious choice is to send in a group of capable heroes with a modest but well-trained army to strike now, while the proverbial iron is hot. Ultimately, this is why I’ve sought you out. If you can retake Drezen and reclaim the Sword of Valor, not only will you silence the fools who would brand you traitors for destroying the wardstone, but more importantly, you would bolster the entire war effort with your heroism. And I fear we need all the bolstering we can get!
    "

19. - Top - End - #319

When the Queen enters, Elrembriel instinctively lowers her head in a characteristic attempt to make her profile smaller. She doesn't know these people - so many! - who took over the city, and even less so, their ruler. She takes care to bow at exactly the same time as the others in the room, making sure she doesn't stand out.

The Queen's word of praise and understanding do their bit to warm the young girl's heart... She has given some thought, over the past few days, to the matter of her and her companions' newfound powers. With the memory of her unbelievable vision of Iomedae fresh in mind, she's come to the inescapable conclusion: Only a god would have the power to redirect such immense energy into mortal vessels without killing them, and Iomedae's words resonate in her mind still. Seek my blessing against the demons, girl... and you shall have it.

So, when Queen Galfrey points to the Inheritor's will as an explanation, Elrembriel finds herself nodding in approval, without a second thought. She gives her whole attention to the Queen's words now, and understands the group is given a mission of momentous import. A powerful, driven energy fills her heart, in a vanishing second she wonders if kneeling would be an appropriate way to convey her acceptance of this honor... Until she hears the word from the Queen's lips for the third time, only now understanding this means their destination. The realization comes with a sharp intake of breath.

Drezen.

Elrembriel freezes, her face rigid, her eyes fixed at the queen in mute, uncontrollable panic.

Spoiler
    Show
    Given her personal story (under "other notes"), Elrembriel has every reason to fear and loathe the idea of ever coming back to Drezen.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-10-22 at 03:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320

NecromancerGuy

Filburn spends the days before the arrival of the Queen and her army studying feverishly and practicing with his strange, matte-black blade. Over the course of the many hours he begins to realize that he doesn't actually need to speak out loud to communicate with it. As a result, instead of strange outbursts he seems to have developed what looks like a nervous tic as his head turns towards the blade subconsciously many times throughout the day.

After counseling the others on the proper way to greet Her Majesty, Filburn does his best to focus on her words, in spite of the silent commentary by his irreverent weapon. "Her explanation makes sense - it could be the power of the wardstones..." he thinks before his blade interrupts.

"Does she look like an expert in the arcane lore that created such protections? Don't be a fool - she's just a devout worshiper who is projecting her beliefs upon the situation," it sends back, nearly drowning out the Queen's words in Filburn's mind.

"You just don't like the idea that our bond isn't entirely arcane in nature. Now hush so I can listen - she's talking about sending us into danger."

"Oh what nonsense - it isn't like I am speaking aloud! You can hear her just fine if you pay attention..."

At the end of the Queen's request Filburn stands and bows his head in her direction, waiting for permission to speak. When she nods and gestures to him he clears his throat and twists his head to the left for a moment before saying, "Your Majesty, we are glad to have done some good after the attack. At the time we felt we had little choice, but the powers of light and goodness were with us, it seems.

I think all of us are willing to undertake this mission, though we will need some help getting there - at least a guide and some supplies. It has been years since Drezen fell and much may have changed. I fear what we knew of the city may no longer be true...

Finally, do you really intend to send a small force with us? Though I am loath to say it, how confident are you that we can trust your soldiers? The Crusade has been brought to ruin by traitors and it rots from within! If we strike deep into the heart of the Worldwound with knives at our backs it will do no good at all...
    "

Oh, that's a great idea! Just insult her forces to her face why don't you! There's no way that could make things worse...of all the half-elves in Golarion, I get bonded to the un-diplomatic one...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Knowledge (History) check regarding Drezen: (1d20+6)[10]

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan remains silent for few moments after the Queen finishes speaking, characteristically lost in introspection. When he realizes she is finished speaking and that Filburn has begun responding to her his focus slowly returns to the here and now. He notes Elrembriel's sudden agitation, although it would be too subtle for most to recognize, and he gently places a reassuring hand on her should as he steps forward to reply.

"My friend Filburn has the right of it, your Majesty. Though we did not choose it, nevertheless the gods have seen fit to bestow upon us a fraction of the Wardstones' power. We have the unique responsibility to make the most of these blessings, and though I am no expert in the ways of warfare your proposal stands to reason. If retrieving this artifact will aid the fight against the demons, and if it is now uniquely unguarded, then it would seem that the time is right to strike back."

"I care little for the prattlings of those who would brand us as traitors, or worse, but I would beseech you to make sure the realm knows the truth about the other heroes of this effort - the mongrelmen who, despite generations of exile and persecution, rose up from the depths to help defend Kenabres in her hour of need. None of us would be standing here today without their bravery, and sacrifice."

"I will pray to Erastil and Iomedae for guidance, but any more immediate counsel you can provide would be invaluable. Do we have scouts that know the way to Drezen, or the terrain inside the Worldwound? What about the disposition of the demons that do remain? I'm leery of moving with too large and obvious a force - at least some of the demons are intelligent enough that they could figure out our aim. That is not even to mention," his voice lowers, "Filburn's rightful caution about demonic agents within the Crusade itself."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek's head swivels very slightly toward Elrembriel, and the lack of obvious features within his black eyes prevents any other outward sign that he notes the half-elven girl's sudden panic. The tiefling stands still as a statue, save for an involuntary twitch of his clawed tail, which seems to reach tentatively in the girl's direction before twisting back to coil itself against the slender swordsman's leg, talons fidgeting nervously. As his companions speak, his gaze shifts to each of them in turn before turning to rest once more, expectantly, upon the Queen.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

The Queen nods as first Filburn and then Waylan give voice to your concerns. "I don't blame you for your hesitance," she begins. "Of course, the crusades have never been impervious to demonic infiltration. That said, I know the men and women I plan to send with you much better than I know you." She turns to rest her gaze primarily on Waylan. "There is no doubt the gods have chosen you in ways I cannot fully comprehend. In light of that, I find myself forced to rely on their judgement in my ignorance. Still, though we anticipate Drezens forces being less for their reckless assault, the city is still a fortress. There will no doubt be many dozens, if not hundreds of demons still within its walls. To send you without substantial aid would be little more than a suicide mission, regardless of the boons you bear. Ultimately," she turns to Filburn, "I trust these men and women with my life. I am confident you will find them steadfast and true. If not, I have little option but to trust and pray that you will be able to handle any turncoats that make themselves known." She turns to one of her handlers, and nods. He opens the door, allowing an odd-looking trio to enter.

"This is Aron Kir," the Queen starts, gesturing to the first man- a slight fellow with sunken green eyes, who nods. "He is an expert on siege tactics, tracks, infiltration, and scouting." She glances at Morevek meaningfully. "I suspect your quiet friend is likely capable in several of those areas as well, but it never hurts to have another competent pair of eyes on the battlefield. He's a walking almanac, and carries all the maps you'll need." She looks to the man with an amused expression. "in his head," she says, finally.

"Sosiel Vaenic," a dark-skinned man with short-cropped hair bows slightly. "Is a cleric of Shelyn, previously stationed here in Kenabres before the temple was destroyed. He has become quite familiar with demons and their tactics in the last few years, and can help relieve some of the burden of healing both for yourselves and the rest of your force. He will surely be an invaluable ally in the Worldwound." She turns to the next.

The third specialist is a female Halfling. She smiles in that disarming way that the small folk do, easily allowing her eyes to drift from person to person, making each of you feel welcome. "Finally, Nurah Dendiwhar is the most ingratiating, prattling little woman I've ever met. She's a story for every rock between here and Mendev; half a dozen might even be true." Despite the harsh words, the Queen is smiling. "She'll be supporting you and the crusaders with bardic magic, but is an expert on the region in her own right. She probably knows more about Drezen than anyone in Kenabres at this point, I'd wager." Turning back to the party, the queen surveys your responses.

"There will also be a hundred paladins of Iomedae in your service. Many of my best, but a small enough force that you should be able to avoid the demon's attentions. Demonic foes hit hard, when they bring their forces to bear, so its best to avoid giving them the opportunity." She turns to Elrembriel. "Does that allay your concerns at all?"
    Last edited by Farmerbink; 2023-03-11 at 10:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #324

NecromancerGuy

Filburn silently accepts the Queen's response and looks at each of her people with a discerning gaze.

Spoiler: Inner Dialogue
    Show
    "What do you think - she is sending us with a bunch of Paladins. They're supposed to be above reproach..."

I think you'd be a fool to trust anyone who hasn't put their lives on the line for you already, but yeah...they're probably not demonic sycophants at least. I doubt any of them are likely to be worthwhile conversationalists, though. You don't have much in common with any of them - we should go find a wizard or that blind elf and learn some more spells! Let's go...

"Oh hush - a moment ago you were berating me for being rude and now you want me to dodge out of here? We can't see if these three are worth anything at all if we don't talk to them."

"Thank you for understanding our concern, Your Majesty. Given then size of the garrison at Drezen we will need your troops to have any chance of success," Filburn says before turning to Vaenic and asking, "How are you at drawing out a map of the area? Knowing the paths is one thing, but the rest of us won't be of much use helping plan our route without referring to charts of some kind..."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Sosiel nods with a slightly uneasy expression. When he speaks, it's a surprisingly deep bass voice that rumbles out over the small gathering, a little at odds with his average-sized frame. "My cartography skills are sorely lacking in comparison to the arena of the mind. Still, I can provide... rudimentary drawings, and more thorough descriptions to go along with it."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek inclines his head slightly, first in acknowledgment of the Queen's implied compliment, and second toward Sosiel in professional courtesy.

27. - Top - End - #327

As the Queen's gaze falls on her, Elrembriel looks like she's hoping to suddenly disappear into a hole in the ground. She manages an answer, even if her voice sounds even higher-pitched than usual.

"Thank you for your support, Your Majesty. I shall join, and... I will do my best, so help me Iomedae's blessing." It is clear to those who know her that she has something heavy bearing on her mind, her clenched jaw expressing a resolve that is mixed with more complex feelings - and every intention to keep them to herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming someone tries to pry, she'll close down, hard. There is no way she's going to explain herself in front of such a wide audience.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

An urgent pounding on the door interrupts the final discussions, and Irabeth raises a hand to silence all conversation. She opens it herself, and fails to contain a brief moment of surprise. "Master Aravashnial, yes, you may enter. Of course."

The blind Elf all but knocks Irabeth to the floor as he presses through the doorway into the relatively quiet room. He turns vaguely in the direction of where the party will be gathered and, ignorant of Queen Galfrey's presence, blurts out, "I think I've done it!" He cries. "There is a resonance. Like... Almost like pressing your hand against a wall and you know someone else has touched it recently? Like warmth or..." "Aravashnial," Irabeth interrupts. "We are not wizards. The point?"

He turns and grabs Irabeth by the shoulders, and the sudden motion reveals that she's not carrying Radiance, as had become her habit. "I found her! I found Aurora! There is a bond, I can feel the blade, pulling at her, even though they're planes apart!"

29. - Top - End - #329

Elrembriel stands in place, dumbstruck. This turn of events leaves her entirely speechless and uncomprehending. Aurora?

She steps back lightly, only half aware of her own movement as she glides away from the focus of attention.

30. - Top - End - #330

NecromancerGuy

"Aravashnial" Filburn begins, dropping any honorifics in his shock "Are you saying that Aurora is not only alive, but that Radiance might be able to guide us to her?" The expression of disbelief on Filburn's face is marred only by the tic he has developed as his head dips towards his sheathed sword.

Spoiler: Inner Dialogue
    Show
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Leave it to the wizard to figure out how to save the Paladin's butt! Boo-yah, divine power!

"The beacon comes from the holy relic, though..."

I KNOW THAT! But it took the wizard to notice, so it counts!

"You make me crazy..."