New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Bink's WotR part 2: The Gray Garrison and beyond!

Spoiler: Redacted in light of new information
    Show

The below no longer applies. I'll eventually delete the post if that makes sense.

"I'm going to make them stir, hopefully."

Elrembriel moves in towards the central stairwell and begins to cast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to M8 and casting Monster Summoning II. If we're round to round, she will actually cast in the next round since it's a 1 round casting.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-02-18 at 05:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

The same guttural voice grunts. "Keep it down in there, will ya?" irritably chastising the creatures rummaging in the barracks. Filburn sighs, reminded impolitely by his blade that they can't see him. No really.

He prowls forward, resisting the urge to announce himself by snapping back a retort, and peers into the rooms...

In the war room, a Babau directs two grossly obese humans in inspecting the documents that remain. Filburn recalls the demons that wore human bodies at the entrance- these look similar. In the barracks, one of the goat-headed shir demons roots around in the barrels- consuming the rotting food within, while tearing apart the room.

At the entrance, some of the craftsmen become visibly agitated. "I thought you said it was already safe!" one whimpers, as the heroes clearly begin to prepare for combat.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Given D.O.s recollection (and decision to inform the DM) of his new mythic power, and the undetectability that comes with it, there's no need for additional preparations, immediately. Their constant "see invisibility" effects won't penetrate, unless I read something that suggests otherwise.

This would be a great time to let me know if you have any more huge, qualitative differences in how your characters work now, lol. I'll let you either finish casting, Gwyn, or chose to do something else, in light of this new info.

3. - Top - End - #213

NecromancerGuy

Filburn nods irritably at his blade, as invisible as he is. This will take some time for me to get really comfortable...I will tell the others, he telepathically informs his weapon. Then, over the Message spell he whispers, "Get the craftsmen back - there are at least three demons here! Two of the fat ones that wear human bodies and one of the shir-demons that look like minotaurs. I will need help fighting them off, but can get into a good position to surprise them if you all can draw them downstairs...set up an ambush and I will get them from this side!"

He then positions himself to let the demons pass him if they walk towards the stairs and readies himself for a vicious strike at an opportune moment...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Not sure of an exact position on the map, but Filburn will ready an attack against the Shir (first choice) or another demon if they begin to make their way downstairs to engage the rest of the party.

4. - Top - End - #214

Elrembriel turns back as quickly as she can, to warn the workers away. "There's some more fighting to do, don't go in. You should turn back until the area is clear."

She huddles with Morevek and Waylan. "Filburn says we try to ambush them downstairs. What's a good place? Just outside the stairwell?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure Irabeth is with us?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    At the entrance, some of the craftsmen become visibly agitated. "I thought you said it was already safe!" one whimpers, as the heroes clearly begin to prepare for combat.
    "Fear not, my friends, the gods are with us. Say a quick prayer with me and then stand back - we will send their souls back to the Abyss." He leads the group in a quick, quiet prayer for protection as he finishes casting an array of spells for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    She huddles with Morevek and Waylan. "Filburn says we try to ambush them downstairs. What's a good place? Just outside the stairwell?"
    "Yes, that sounds wise to me. Give Filburn the signal - we will be ready."

Spoiler: OOC: Spellcasting
    Show
    Waylan will additionally cast bless, weapon of awe on himself, and also bull's strength on Irabeth if she's with the party.

EDIT: also casting protection from evil on Morevek

As soon as we intentionally grab the demons' attention, he will also cast divine favor.

Fluff-wise, I'm hoping the morale bonus from the bless spell helps the craftsmen to stay calm and follow instructions
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-02-20 at 10:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek waits as Waylan pronounces his deity's blessings on the party before advancing up the stairs. "Now, I expect very little from you vermin," he calls to the as-yet-unseen foes, "but we haven't all day to bother with your antics. Must I chastise you where you stand, or have you the spine to come meet your fate?"

Spoiler: Actions/OOC
    Show
    My intent is for Morevek to approach earshot, and then use a Standard action to demoralize an opponent using Intimidate: (1d20+12)[31]

Additionally, I'm happy to accept a Protection from Evil from Waylan, if such is applicable.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

At Morevek's call, the rummaging ceases. The Babau looks up at the pair of flesh-bags. For a few moments, they don't seem to respond, but shortly thereafter, they start prowling forward.

Map updated

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Irabeth has been following the crusaders in sullen silence. Something seems to be on her mind. Ever since their last fight, Irabeth appears akward and uneasy with her companions. She's been avoiding eye contact. If she has to answer, she does so only in afterthought, with a nod or a grunt. She seems to be elsewhere.

Waylan's blessing finally gets her to break her silence. "Thank you, Father," she says in a barely audible whisper, accompanied by a small bow of the head.

Irabeth mutters her own prayer to the Inheritor: "Guide my sword. May my hand not falter." Yet, even as she feels her godess' intercetion, Irabeth can't help but taste something bitter in her mouth.

She draws Radiance and waits at the bottom of the stairs for what is to come, trying to focus back to the task at hand.

Show
    Casting Divine favor, duration 1 minute.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

9. - Top - End - #219

NecromancerGuy

Filburn continues to wait patiently. "I see a fourth demon - one of the babaus I think. A total of four enemies, all up on this floor. Be ready to hold your ground and I will surprise them from behind," he murmurs over the message spell. Then he remains out of the demons' way as they begin making their way to the stairs, waiting for the opportune moment to strike...

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

The upper floor is cast into darkness as the first of the Vermleks files past Filburn's hiding place. It presses on towards the stairs, stopping for a moment at the top of them to glare malevolently at Morevek. The Schir joins its unlikely companion, stepping out of the darkness with a wicked halberd in hand. The second Vermlek and Babau don't appear at the top of the stairs... yet.

Show
    If you have dark vision, or a means of piercing it otherwise, you might see the second Vermlek attempting to summon allies (right beside Filburn- it provokes an AOO and could end badly for him, if our swordsman cares to take it). The Babau conjured the darkness and is close behind the second Vermlek.

You can respond as if entering combat, or not. Filburn will get a bonus action on the first round (for the surprise round that is difficult to adjudicate).

Map updated

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Irabeth concentrates on the foosteps above their heads. "Come on already..." she mumbles between gritted teeth. She flexes on her knees, relaxes the grip on her sword, stretches her shield arm and keeps her breathing steady.

Show
    Ready a partial charge on the surprise round, if she gets one. Through the (open) doorway towards the bottom of the stairs.

If no surprise round, then, well, I'll just post a full round worth of actions when time comes.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan says nothing, but aims his bow at the base of the staircase where the demons will soon descend. He suppresses the temptation to draw until he has sight of the foe...
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Silently, Elrembriel steps back, so that she leaves more open space for Waylan to pick the best shooting position. She whispers over the Message channel, "this thing with a worm-like head Filburn described is a Vermlek. It can invade and use a dead person's body. Healing energy harms it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Step to T27.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-02-26 at 11:06 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

NecromancerGuy

"They seem to be trying to summon reinforcements - I am waiting for more to head downstairs before I attack," mutters Filburn into the message spell as he continues to watch, his half-elven eyes having no trouble seeing in the abyssal darkness.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek affects a deliberately bored tone. "Must you tarry so? The daylight wanes." He nonchalantly paces away from the stairway, free hand making tiny gestures before the swordsman begins suddenly shrinking.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to N,28
    Cast Reduce Person, 5 minute duration

Spoiler: Stats
    Show
    Morevek Balthissar
    M CG Tiefling Magus (Fiend Flayer, Kensai), VMC Rogue, Level 5, Init 5, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    AC 27, Touch 22, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will 6, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Deadly, Masterwork, Cold Iron Katana Ranged+2 (1d8+Dex, 18-20/x2)
    Shortbow (Arrows, 20; Cold Iron Arrows, 20) Ranged (1d6-1, x3)
    (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Mage Armor: +4 Armor, ~5 hours?
    Reduce Person: +2 Dex, -2 Str, Small size (+1 atk/AC)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

With a snarl, the angry voice of the Babau pierces the darkness (in infernal). "Stupid oaf! You try, then!" The frontmost Vermlek, rather than follow after Morevek's taunting, begins its own summoning ritual. The distinct lack of additional foes seems to suggest that the first demon's attempt was not successful. The Schir and other Vermlek, however, hurriy down the stairs, to confront Morevek- prompted no doubt by the Babau's displeasure.

Show
    We kind of eased into this combat oddly, though I don't disapprove. Ultimately, I think this quasi-organic approach was the best way to resolve it. Because they are unaware of Filburn (and mostly because I said earlier that I would), Filburn gets an extra standard action this round (equivalent of a surprise round- taken while the demons were passing). Otherwise, we can call this round 1 and move on with life.

For simplicity and consistency, Shades, I've opted to not allow readied actions prior to the true start of combat (it gets stupid fugly when trying to adjudicate two enemies that know of each other's presence). Please take round 1 as normal.

Map updated

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Filburn's Status
    Show
    Filburn Crow
    Male Neutral Good Half-Elf Bladed Arcanist, Level 5, Init 8, HP 50/50, Speed 30 ft. base
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, CMD 19, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Black Blade +2 Falcata "Baerlyon, Demon-Foe" +9 (1d8+9, 19-20/x3)
    +1 Chain Shirt, +1 Blinding Light Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition Arcane Strike
    Black Blade Strike
    Arcane Reservoir 5/8 Uses Available
    Black Blade Arcane Pool 1/2 Available
    Mythic Powers 5/5 Available

Filburn silently follows the demons as they approach the stairs, striking twice as the enormous outsider begins its ritual to summon more enemies. As he appears, as if from thin air, he cries in a strange, harsh tongue, unaware that he is speaking in a different language...

Spoiler: Aklo
    Show
    "Now! Attack!"

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+8)[11]

Free action to use Black Blade Strike to add +1 Damage to my attacks for one minute.
    Swift action to activate Arcane Strike for another +1 to damage (this round)
    Move to R43.
    Standard Action to attack: Baerlyon, Demon-Foe (1d20+9)[28] attack, (1d20+9)[14] (19-20/x3), (1d8+9)[11] magical slashing damage, (2d8+18)[23] critical strike damage (enemy doesn't get their Dexterity bonus against this attack, regardless of initiative)

Surprise Round Standard Action to attack: Baerlyon, Demon-Foe: (1d20+9)[20] attack, (1d20+9)[17] (19-20/x3), (1d8+9)[13] magical slashing damage, (2d8+18)[29] critical strike damage (enemy might get their Dexterity bonus against this attack, depending upon their initiative roll)

If either attack misses, I will probably use a Mythic Surge to increase the dice roll.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Amid the enemies' rush and the sudden clamor of battle up the stairs, Morevek remains oddly relaxed. Anticipating Irabeth's sudden, swift charge, the swordsman sidles around to a position opposite the paladin, fingers gesturing in harsh, angular movements. As he reaches his goal, he suddenly spins, his blade lashing out faster than eyes can follow!

Show
    Mythic Surge, if necessary: (1d6)[4]

Delaying action until Irabeth's charge. If she charges the Vermlek but does not kill it, Morevek will 5ft step to M27 and begin Spell Combat by attempting to cast Chill Touch defensively: (1d20+12)[16] vs DC 17. If this concentration check would fail, he will use the Mythic Surge rolled earlier.

If she charges and kills the Vermlek, Morevek will cast Chill Touch as the beginning of spell combat while out of reach, and then 5ft step into range of the Schir to begin attacks.

Rolls do not include flanking. Please apply as appropriate.

"Free" attack from Chill Touch:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[27]
    CC: (1d20+9)[22] for x2 on 27+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[2] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[12] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[3] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.

Normal attack:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[20]
    CC: (1d20+9)[15] for x2 on 27+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[12] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[3] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[11] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[4] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.

AoO, if applicable:
    Attack: (1d20+9)[26]
    CC: (1d20+9)[16] for x2 on 27+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[1] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[11] magic/cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[5] negative energy damage and Fort Save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.

If any of these attacks are non-confirmed crits but the natural modified roll is above 18 and the Mythic Surge was not used on concentration, Morevek will use the Mythic Surge to attempt to confirm a crit.
    Should he confirm a crit, he will also expend 2 Arcane Points to increase his weapon's damage multiplier to x3, dealing the following additional damage:

Damage: (1d8+5)[8] magic/cold iron/slashing

Show
    Morevek Balthissar
    M CG Tiefling Magus (Fiend Flayer, Kensai), VMC Rogue, Level 5, Init 5, HP 51/51, Speed 30
    AC 27, Touch 22, Flat-footed 17, CMD 21, Fort 6, Ref 7, Will 6, CMB 0, Base Attack Bonus 3
    (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect)
    Condition Mage Armor: +4 Armor, ~5 hours?
    Reduce Person: +2 Dex, -2 Str, Small size (+1 atk/AC), 48 rds remaining
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2018-03-01 at 06:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

In the half-light, Irabeth gives just the slightest nod to Morevek as he comes down the stairs.

Seeing the fiends approach, her feet kick the ground behind her and she rushes into contact with a guttural war cry.

Spoiler: Actions, Round 1
    Show
    EDIT: Messed up the rolls. They are here.

Charge V1, into O27.

Spending Inspiring Rush on that charge, for +1 attack and +1 damage.

Charge mitigates Power Attack penalty.

[roll0] (Threat on 31+, [roll1])
    [roll2] ([roll3])

As far as DR goes, Radiance is both magical and Cold Iron.

If total attack result is 18 or more and doesn't hit, spend Mythic Surge to add to attack, [roll4].

Spoiler: Status, Round 1
    Show
    Irabeth
    Half-Orc Paladin 5 LG
    HP 60 / 60 Speed ft Init 1
    AC 21 Fort 8 Ref 4 Will 6
    CMB +10 BAB 5
    Radiance +11 (1d8+6, 19-20)
    Radiance (PA) +9 (1d8+12, 19-20)
    Heavy crossbow +7 (1d10, 19-20)
    Str 20 (5) Dex 12 (1) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-02 at 04:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230

Elrembriel hears Filburn's voice upstairs, wondering what this strange language is that he speaks. Leaving questions for later, she gets to work. Her soft voice calls an incantation, for extraplanar help.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Summon Monster II (1 round).

Spoiler: status
    Show
    Elrembriel
    Elf Wizard 5 N
    HP 35 / 35 Speed ft Init +5
    AC 17 (armor +4, Dex +3) Fort +1 Ref +4 Will +5
    CMB +1 BAB 2
    Acid splash +5 (1d3+1 acid, 20/x2)
    Dagger, cold iron +1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)
    Str 8 (-1) Dex 16 (3) Con 11 (0) Wis 12 (1) Int 21 (5) Cha 10 (0)

Spells in effect: Mage Armor.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan rushes into the next room behind Irabeth, takes aim, and fires at the nearest demon!

Show
    Move to Q/28 and shoot at V1 or S, whichever is still up. Swift action to use Hawkeye (1/6) for +2 attack, and apply Deadly Aim.

atk (1d20+12)[19] (+1 PBS, -1 DA, +2 HE, +1 Bless, +1 DF), cc (1d20+12)[32] (20/x3)
    dmg (1d8+8)[11] (+1 PBS, +2 DA, +2 WoA, +1 DF)

Ongoing spell effects from Waylan:
    Bull's Strength on Irabeth
    Protection from Evil on Morevek.
    Bless on the party
    Weapon of Awe on self
    Divine favor on self

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Waylan Henrickson
    Human Cleric 5 LG
    HP 50 / 50 Speed ft Init 6
    AC 22 Fort 7 Ref 8 Will 9
    CMB +4 BAB 3
    +1 Composite Longbow +8 (1d8 + 2, x3)
    MW cold iron heavy mace +5 (1d8 + 1, x2)
    Cold Iron Arrows (, )
    Blunted Arrows (, )
    Dagger +4 (1d4 + 1, 19-20/x2)
    +1 Arrows +9 (+11) (1d8+3 (1d8+2d6+5) , )
    Str 12 (1) Dex 18 (4) Con 12 (1) Wis 16 (3) Int 12 (1) Cha 10 (0)
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-03-02 at 09:24 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Filburn appears from practically nowhere, his blade embedded hilt-deep in the obscene creature. In a heartbeat, he's struck again, leaving it bleeding and dazed. It loses all ability to focus on its summons, drawing a snarl of surprise and anger from the Babau. The Vermlek lashes out awkwardly with its blade, but Filburn's defenses fail him (Filburn takes 10 damage). The Babau, for it's part, promptly disappears.

... only to appear on the previous floor, standing in front of Elrembriel. The spear-wielding demon grins wickedly as it circles the wizard, leaving her between itself and the rest of the party.

Irabeth and Morevek join forces to dispatch the other Vermlek, both cutting deep into the fleshy corpse to destroy the demon within. Waylan steps into the room, and finds his mark on the halberd-wielding Schir.

The oddly goat-headed demon takes the rest of the stairs in stride, and turns its halberd on Morevek, who dodges the swipe with the practiced ease of a competent swordsman.

Map update

23. - Top - End - #233

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Filburn's Status
    Show
    Filburn Crow
    Male Neutral Good Half-Elf Bladed Arcanist, Level 5, Init 8, HP 40/50, Speed 30 ft. base
    AC 19, Touch 12, Flat-footed 17, CMD 19, Fort 3, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Black Blade +2 Falcata "Baerlyon, Demon-Foe" +9 (1d8+10, 19-20/x3)
    +1 Chain Shirt, +1 Blinding Light Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 10
    Condition Tongues Curse (Aklo)
    Arcane Strike
    Black Blade Strike (Round 2/10)
    Mythic Powers 5/5 Available
    Legendary Item Power (1/2 Available)
    Arcane Reservoir 5/8 Uses Available
    Black Blade Arcane Pool 1/2 Available

Filburn follows his previous strike with another at the demon wrapped in a baggy pile of flesh!

Spoiler: Aklo
    Show
    "Back to the Abyss with you fiend!"

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics
    Show
    Swift action to activate Arcane Strike.
    Standard Action to attack V2: Baerlyon, Demon-Foe (1d20+9)[18] attack, (1d20+9)[21] (19-20/x3), (1d8+10)[16] magical slashing damage, (2d8+20)[35] critical strike damage

Legendary Power (if the attack roll fails to hit) +(1d8)[4]

If V2 is downed, Filburn will move to O26.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Waylan steps forward just in time to see Elrembriel dodge a blow from pair of hulking demons that somehow made it down without the stairs. Calling upon his newfound abilities he sends not two but three arrows flying through the air towards the foes!

Show
    5ft step to Q/27, then Mythic Rapid Shot to pew pew pew (w/Deadly Aim and cold iron arrows). Prioritize the most injured target of V2 and B until it's dead. EDIT: just target B since it's the only one downstairs.

atk1 (1d20+8)[15] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc1 (1d20+8)[11] (20/x3), dmg1 (1d8+6)[8] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 1 (2d8+12)[22]
    atk2 (1d20+8)[18] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc2 (1d20+8)[27] (20/x3), dmg2 (1d8+6)[13] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 2 (2d8+12)[24]
    atk3 (1d20+8)[22] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc3 (1d20+8)[27] (20/x3), dmg3 (1d8+6)[12] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 3 (2d8+12)[19]

Bless on the party
    Weapon of Awe on self
    Divine favor on self

Show
    Waylan Henrickson
    Human Cleric 5 LG
    HP 50 / 50 Speed ft Init 6
    AC 22 Fort 7 Ref 8 Will 9
    CMB +4 BAB 3
    Cold Iron Arrows (, )
    Blunted Arrows (, )
    Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-03-05 at 09:57 PM.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Out of nowhere, a disgusting, horrible babau demon appears, poised to cut the young elf girl down! She nearly loses her mind at the sight, but catches herself just in time, and, with a supreme mental effort, pursues her incantation with just enough precaution to dodge any retaliatory strike.

"Lors que j'appelle la terre,
    Qu'est cette apparition?
    Renvoie dans son enfer
    Cet ignoble démon!"

Springing from the floor, a creature appears, seemingly made of argile and stones. Its body is heavyset and mostly shapeless, but the stones in some precise locations over it irresistibly evoke eyes, nose, mouth, shoulders, feet - and fists. It slams at the demon, but fails to connect.

Shaking in fear in spite of this modest success, Elrembriel nearly bolts away from the terrifying demon. She hesitates, no more than a second, but instead steps back, with a side glance at Irabeth in the next room, to immediately follow with a faster spell:

"Voilŕ une boule de glace
    Au parfum de caillou!
    Prends-la en pleine face
    Et repars dans ton trou!"

She throws a tiny bit of white snow, which accelerates fast, and on the way grows into a fist-sized block of ice, directed at the babau's hateful face.

Spoiler
    Show
    EDITED below following changes on the map. This means Elrembriel is now in R26 and the elemental in T28.

She finishes her casting from last round (roll for defensive casting done in OOC), a Summon Monster II for an earth elemental that appears in T28.
    5-ft step to R26.
    Free action, Prescience [roll]1d20[roll] (if 10 or better, use instead of the roll to throw) - EDIT botched roll, but wasn't necessary.
    Standard action, cast Snowball at the babau.
    Ranged touch attack (1d20+5)[19], damage (5d6)[29] cold; cc(25) (1d20+5)[13], cd (5d6)[14] (EDIT - need to account for -4 penalty for firing into melee)
    If hit, the demon needs a Fort save DC17 or be staggered for 1 round (no SR).

The new elemental appears in T28 and attacks the babau (stats includes earth mastery for standing on the ground, and Power Attack)
    (1d20+8)[10] damage (1d6+9)[11] cc(28) (1d20+8)[17] cd (1d6+9)[13]

Show
    Elrembriel
    Elf Wizard 5 N
    HP 35 / 35 Speed ft Init +5
    CMB +1 BAB 2

Spells in effect: Mage Armor, Message.
    Power left today: Mythic 4/5, Prescience 7/8.

Spoiler: Earth Elemental
    Show

Blue numbers include Augment Summoning

N Small outsider (earth, elemental, extraplanar)
    Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.; Perception +4

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
    hp 17 (2d10+4)
    Fort +6, Ref –1, Will +3
    Immune elemental traits

OFFENSE

Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
    Melee slam +8 (1d6+6)
    Special Attacks earth mastery

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Base Atk +2; CMB +6; CMD 15
    Feats Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack
    Skills Appraise +1, Climb +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Perception +4, Stealth +7
    Languages Terran
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Earth Glide (Ex)
    A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Earth Mastery (Ex)
    An earth elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. These modifiers apply to bull rush and overrun maneuvers, whether the elemental is initiating or resisting these kinds of attacks. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-03-05 at 11:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Radiance slices through the demon's late victim to find the monster animating it. With Morevek's assitance, the thing stands no chance. She turns, following her blade, to face the one on the stair, foot kicking the floor to regain her balance. From the corner of her eye, she notices Elembriel signaling her. No words are necessary. She rushes back.

Spoiler: Actions, Round 2
    Show
    Irabeth charges the Babau in T27, moving into S27.

AoO? If she gets cover (thanks to stairs and/or railing) from the bad guy in N26, she doesn't incur an AoO. If she does inccur an AoO, well, I'll suck it up.

Charge? Can she charge the Babau by moving into R27? I'd say yes, but I'd understand if it's not considered a "straight line". If no charge, it's move+attack. I'll forgot the charge bonus from the post below. With updated positions, it's clearly a straight line. However, no flank is possible anymore.
    • Attack - (1d20+11)[25], +2 for charge (threat on 30+, Confirm - (1d20+11)[19])
    • Damage - (1d8+14)[18] (Crit - (1d8+14)[17])
    • If roll is 16+ but misses, add: Surge - (1d6)[3].

Then, if the surge above is not expended, I'll spend it to trigger Fleet Charge.
    If the Babau is still standing, Irabeth attacks it, staying in place.
    If not, Irabeth moves back to O27, and attacks the guy in N26.
    • Attack - (1d20+11)[14] (threat on 30+, Confirm - (1d20+11)[27])
    • Damage - (1d8+14)[17] (Crit - (1d8+14)[18])

Spoiler: Status, Round 2
    Show
    Irabeth
    Half-Orc Paladin 5 LG
    HP 60 / 60 Speed ft Init 1
    AC 23 (21 if charge applies) Fort 8 Ref 4 Will 6
    CMB +13 BAB 5
    Radiance +13 (1d8+8, 19-20)
    Radiance (PA) +11 (1d8+14, 19-20)
    Heavy crossbow +7 (1d10, 19-20)
    Str 20 (7) Dex 12 (1) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 10 (0) Cha 14 (2)
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2018-03-05 at 11:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Morevek's dodge continues, the slender swordsman leaning into a spin that sends his blade sweeping at the goat-headed foe before him.

Show
    5ft step into melee with the goat demon and initiate Spell Combat with a normal attack:

Attack: (1d20+10)[23]
    CC: (1d20+10)[18] for x2 on 28+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6] cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[3] negative energy damage from Chill Touch and Fort save vs DC 16 else 1 Str damage.
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[10] cold iron/slashing plus (1d6)[4] negative energy damage and 1 Str damage with above save.

Concentration Check to cast Touch of Fatigue defensively: (1d20+12)[13] vs DC 15

If successful, attack to deliver:
    Attack: (1d20+10)[11]
    CC: (1d20+10)[19] for x2 on 28+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[8] cold iron/slashing plus Touch of Fatigue: Fort save vs DC 15 else Fatigued, 5 rds
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[6] cold iron/slashing

AoO, if applicable:
    Attack: (1d20+10)[17]
    CC: (1d20+10)[19] for x2 on 28+
    Damage: (1d8+5)[10] cold iron/slashing plus Touch of Fatigue if not spent earlier: Fort save vs DC 15 else Fatigued, 5 rds Chill Touch instead, maybe? Unlikely to hit with a 17 in the first place.
    Crit damage: (1d8+5)[7] cold iron/slashing

Show
    Morevek Balthissar
    AC 28, Touch 23, Flat-footed 18, CMD 22, Fort 7, Ref 8, Will 7, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 3
    (+4 Armor, +5 Dex, +1 Size, +1 Natural, +1 Deflect, +1 Misc)
    Condition Canny Defense: + 5 Dodge AC while armed with Katana and unarmored
    Mage Armor: +4 Armor, ~5 hours?
    Reduce Person: +2 Dex, -2 Str, Small size (+1 atk/AC), 47 rds remaining
    Protection from Evil: +1 Deflection (net) and Saves (net), ~5 minutes?
    Bless: +1 attack, +1 saves vs fear
    3 charges of Chill Touch remaining
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2018-03-12 at 04:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

The party delivers a series of blows, and the upstairs Vermlek falls. The other two demons remain standing, despite their injuries. With a wicked grin, the Babau closes the distance once more with Elrembriel. It lashes out several times, catching the wizard with a pair of claws (Elrembriel takes 16 damage). The Schir, for it's part tries to navigate past Morevek, and barely manages. It turns its halberd on Waylan, and delivers a solid blow (Rolled a modified 21 for 10 damage).

Map updated
    Show
    I apologize for being such a ****ty DM. I'm not sure if it's more a motivation problem or a time problem, but I hope to keep things rolling again. We will shortly wrap up the first chapter of our story, and move on to greater things!

29. - Top - End - #239

"Aieeeeee!" Elrembriel cries out, and tears well in her eyes under the pain as the demon's cruel claws tear through her skin. She ducks, and takes advantage of Irabeth's swings to dodge the murderous attacks and move to a safer place behind the half-orc's broad frame. Meanwhile, the elemental steps forward to pound the babau with a hard, ponderous arm swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elrembriel withdraws to S28.

The elemental steps to T27 and attacks (stats include earth mastery for standing on the ground, and Power Attack)
    (1d20+8)[28] damage (1d6+9)[13] cc(28) (1d20+8)[28] cd (1d6+9)[11]

Show
    Elrembriel
    Elf Wizard 5 N
    HP 19 / 35 Speed ft Init +5
    CMB +1 BAB 2

Spells in effect: Mage Armor, Message, Bless.
    Power left today: Mythic 4/5, Prescience 7/8.

Spoiler: Earth Elemental
    Show

Blue numbers include Augment Summoning

N Small outsider (earth, elemental, extraplanar)
    Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.; Perception +4

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (–1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size)
    hp 17 (2d10+4)
    Fort +6, Ref –1, Will +3
    Immune elemental traits

OFFENSE

Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide
    Melee slam +8 (1d6+6)
    Special Attacks earth mastery

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11
    Base Atk +2; CMB +6; CMD 15
    Feats Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack
    Skills Appraise +1, Climb +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Perception +4, Stealth +7
    Languages Terran
    SPECIAL ABILITIES
    Earth Glide (Ex)
    A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Earth Mastery (Ex)
    An earth elemental gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. These modifiers apply to bull rush and overrun maneuvers, whether the elemental is initiating or resisting these kinds of attacks. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2018-03-24 at 10:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Ughn!" A grunt of pain escapes Waylan's clenched jaw as the schir's halberd finds purchase beneath his chainmail. Stepping back, he retaliates with a volley of three arrows from point-blank range.

Show
    5ft step back to R/27 and then full-attack the schir (this may incur an AoO from the babau - I'll take that risk!)

atk1 (1d20+8)[15] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc1 (1d20+8)[27] (20/x3)
    dmg1 (1d8+7)[11] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 1 (2d8+14)[19]

atk2 (1d20+8)[17] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc2 (1d20+8)[21] (20/x3)
    dmg2 (1d8+7)[11] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 2 (2d8+14)[23]

atk3 (1d20+8)[9] (+1 Bless, +1 PBS, +1 DF, -1 DA, -2 RS), cc3 (1d20+8)[11] (20/x3)
    dmg3 (1d8+7)[8] (+1 PBS, +1 DF, +2 WoA), cdmg 3 (2d8+14)[23]

Bless on the party
    Weapon of Awe on self
    Divine favor on self

Show
    Waylan Henrickson
    Human Cleric 5 LG
    HP 40 / 50 Speed ft Init 6
    AC 19 Fort 7 Ref 8 Will 9
    CMB +4 BAB 3
    Cold Iron Arrows (, )
    Blunted Arrows (, )

Last edited by MuffinMan; 2018-03-24 at 10:17 AM.
    Show