Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 459
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Dry Patroclus shoots Erica a frustrated look. Wet Patroclus shoots her a grateful one.

    "What? No, I'm the real one--or, well, yes, we're both real, but I'm the right one for... for now!" Both Patrocluses speak again as one, glaring at each other in mounting annoyance as they continue to speak the same words. On the other side of the two from Erica, Dawnlight rises out of the water, holding a beam of pure sunlight in her hands and looking between the two Patrocluses. Marius and Lucy are standing prudently back from the fight; they have placed themselves between the two identical mages and the door into the rest of the complex. Doireann concenrtrates for a moment, and a thin stream of water floats up from the pool, depositing Erica's glasses into her hands. She hesitates for a moment, then begins to walk in a wide circle around the confrontation, aiming to circle around towards Erica.

    Of course, Erica doesn't see any of this clearly; it is all just a mass of colors and shapes to her for the most part.

    "He's the one who's going to vanish," Wet Patroclus declares, pointing at Dry Patroclus. "While he's here, he's stronger than I am, but that'll end soon. I just needed him stopped, so thank--"

    "He's wrong, or lying," Dry Patroclus cuts in abruptly, glaring at Wet Patroclus like he's an idiot. "Neither of us are going to vanish; it'd be better if we did. Right now, he's weaker than me; I don't like it, but I have to kill him now, or that 'time bomb' won't be so metaphorical."

    "Rooks and ruin, I really thought you were just a different version of me; I didn't think I was this cold-blooded," Wet Patroclus says, sobering.

    "You aren't me; if we wait too long, we'll all find that out;" Dry Patroclus says grimly. He glances over at Erica sidelong. "I can't beat all of you in a fight, and I might not be able to hammer through your defenses... but I have to try or it'll be worse for everyone. So unless you can figure out a way to stop the magic Rupert can see swirling all around us, I'm going to kill my double... again."

    The entire time the two Patrocluses are talking, Donald is dashing between the two like a particularly avid contestant at a sporting match, watching with an eager grin as events unfold.

    Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    While the two Patrocluses are talking, an odd change comes over Tsubaki and Manus. Tsubaki, after the initial excitement, seems to slump slightly in disappointment. She is still staring at Dry Patroclus, however, as though she's anticipating something.

    On the other hand, Manus has grown more and more tense. He has also shifted slightly, turning towards Wet Patroclus and staring at him with intense concentration.

    Spoiler: Insight DC 20
    Show
    Tsubaki fully believes Wet Patroclus' words. She's now just waiting to see how Dry Patroclus vanishes.

    Manus, however, fully believes Dry Patroclus. He's maneuvering to find a place to aid Dry Patroclus if he decides to attack Wet Patroclus.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica sent a wordless expression of thanks to her brother as he passed her glasses to her from Doireann. She touched them to her helmet and they kinda melded with it. Now she could see, both what was actually going on around her and, perhaps more importantly, the magic going on around Patroclus.

    She faced Dry Patroclus directly. "You will fail, and the time you waste making the attempt will be time that we don't get to dedicate to solving the problem," Erica replied simply. "I'm not seeing any destructive forces in the magic on you, and I can't rule out that all that will happen if it triggers is a failsafe that ends the effect. And even if not, since we're dealing with time magic, I have no reason to believe that a dead temporally-displaced body will be any less likely to trigger a paradox than a living one."

    She sheathed her weapon and held out a hand to each of them. "Alternately, you let me teleport us back to your dorm. I will analyze whatever it was that you used to produce the effect and see if I can glean more information from it, maybe even a way to end it safely. Failing that, you two will explain what exactly you believed the magic would do, and we'll go from there." To Dry Patroclus, she added, "I would prefer for both of you to be conscious for this since any differences in your accounts could be important clues, but if you're going to be stubborn we can do it the other way."

    Spoiler: Insight DC 20, or Roy
    Show
    You can tell that Erica is quite a bit less confident in her assessment than she's projecting. While her plan has merit, a big part of the reason she's suggesting it is that it gets the Patrocli away from everyone else, so if she's wrong and something catastrophic does happen nobody else will be in danger.

    Spoiler: Expertise (Tactics) DC 15 for anyone who has reasonably detailed knowledge of Roy's powers
    Show
    It is also obvious that Roy's communication gems would be extremely useful in facilitating a detailed discussion of the spell, and while he could probably use physical contact to create the necessary connection if he were present, without some sort of connection he wouldn't be able to do it at a distance. It is unlikely that this fact has slipped Erica's mind; she's intentionally not bringing it up because she doesn't want to give her brother a reason to put himself in harm's way as well.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Rupert laughed, though without any trace of mirth. "Listen to yourself. Scared. Weak. Pathetic. Two halves, so absorbed in fighting each other that they don't notice they're destroying the whole."

    "But she can help you."
    he then said, his voice a whisper all of a sudden - and yet, still clearly audible. "You cannot solve this alone. Let her help. You will be saved."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Deception (1d20+18)[28] to instill doubt about their own methods in the Patrocli and tempt them into accepting Erica's help.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy activates his suit's projected arms and relieves Doireann of his sister's glasses (with a "Thank you" emitting from the transparent hand). He considers Erica's suggestion with a nod and moves closer to her. "And I'll tag along, too," he says. "My communication crystals work at upwards of one hundred times baseline, and time is of the essence."

    ~"Also, any thoughts on me ringing up a teacher or two?"~ he thinks to Erica silently, his mental voice conveying a knowing apology. ~"I've got Overgrow and Glory's hairs as foci, and they could get Professor Renatus--he'd probably be able to pitch in here."~

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy auto-passes the nested Tactics check even on a 1, which is why I didn't bother to roll it.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Doireann nods her thanks as Roy grabs Erica's glasses, then continues watching the showdown.

    For a long moment, Dry Patroclus stands rigid, his hand clenching and unclenching on his staff. Finally, he gives a terse nod. "Fine. We're almost out of time anyways; an isolated area would be better for this."

    "Wait, what?" Wet Patroclus sputters, surprised. Dry Patroclus gives him a flat look. "We-we can't just teleport inside--Ediz would probably attack if our minds appeared in the building--"

    Which is why we'll need to teleport to just outside the dorm," Patroclus explains, cutting Wet Patroclus off. "I don't want to spend all night fixing the dorm again, anyways."

    "The End Dorm, huh?" Donald comments, giving a theatrical stretch. "I'll do a few laps of Hope and still beat you there," he boasts, disappearing in a gust of wind almost before his last word.

    Manus suddenly pushes forward, staring at Erica. "Bring me along. Even you'll need the help." Behind him, Tsubaki grins slyly, stepping into a nearby shadow. Around the pool there are various grumbles, stretches, and shifts in energy; it looks like the pool party is all set to follow after the interesting event that fell in their midst.

    Spoiler: Will DC 20
    Show
    A small, colorless voice speaks from the pool. "I'm... I remember me. I remember me, but you... what's going on?


    Erica's enhanced vision, Rupert's nose for magic, and Roy's finely-tuned instincts all tell them the same thing: the countdown is nearing its end. Whatever's going to happen is going to happen soon.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    "Good."

    Rupert floated down to the floor, ready to follow the others to the End Dorm (he didn't even know where it was, after all), but then turned towards the pool again.

    "What do you me-...huh? Who? Er..."

    If not for the situation, seeing a demon acting confused might have been somewhat comical. He cleared his throat to cover it up a bit.

    "What do you mean you don't remember me?" he then asked to...to who, again? Well, to whoever it was that spoke, anyway.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Behind her helmet, Erica grimaced when her brother offered to come with, with a rationale that she couldn't just wave off. Most of the others seemed similarly inclined, but fortunately, Erica did have a valid reason not to bring them along. Although as Donald quickly proved, that didn't necessarily mean keeping them away.

    To Roy, she answered, ~I mean, can't hurt to try? I don't...really want to get them in trouble or anything, but I think we might be a bit beyond that concern at this point.~

    Outwardly, she said, "I can't teleport all of us, and honestly anything else we discuss is probably going to have to be telepathic for the sake of speed if nothing else. It probably makes more sense for everyone else to stay here." Erica didn't have much of a poker face, helmet notwithstanding, but maybe they'd take her words at face-value! Regardless, if there were objections, she'd get to put off dealing with them until later, because after that she gripped her brother's hand and teleported the two of them and the two Patrocli to the End Dorm.

    She could see that they were running out of time. "Okay, Roy, see if you can link them up with us. Once he does, I need you both to tell me exactly what you did, what you understand the results to be...basically everything you know about the magic at work." She approached the dorm as she gave those orders, to knock on the door. Evidently they thought Ediz would attack them if they teleported in, but hopefully she could explain the situation. Or make a deal with him or something. Being able to examine whatever they had been working on would help.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Extended Teleport us to outside the End Dorm. I've got Increased Mass 4 so the Roy and the two Patrocli should be within my capacity easy enough. Technically yeah she probably could have brought one or maybe two more people, but eh. Trying to protect people.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy opened his mouth to talk to Donald, but his slight reaction enhancement had nothing on the pure speedster. "Dammit, Donald could've went to get Professor Renatus," he mutters to himself. Louder, he says, "If someone could try to find Professor Renatus, that'd probably be a big help. Kaythanksbye!" He gets the last part out quick before his sister teleports them all out.

    Immediately, Roy switches his energy to the crystals around his temples. "This is for a good cause, so don't shoot me," he says to the Patroclii before he reaches out to yank a bit of hair from their heads. In all four of their minds (and Rupert's), they hear Roy's voice, ~"Okay, guys, what's the situation?"~

    At the same time (yay multitasking!) Roy sends out a call to Glory and Overgrow. ~"Professor Glory, Professor Overgrow, we have a bit of a situation at the End Dorm. It's supernatural in nature--would it be possible to get Professor Renatus here, like, ten minutes ago?"~

    Spoiler
    Show
    Switching to Enhanced Connectivity, talking is now a super free action (or at least, thinking is).
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Still, as confused as he was, Rupert would have no time to find out what the voice meant; he'd trained enough with the Stonesmiths to catch the signs of "Teleporting in 3, 2, *poof*".

    And he still had no idea where the End Dorm was.

    "Hey, wait!" he cried, covering the distance in the blink of an eye and grasping Erica's shoulder at the last moment.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Spoiler: Rupert
    Show
    The voice speaks again, stronger. "I remember me, but all of you remember me less, because--wait, time will--"


    Spoiler: Erica and Rupert
    Show
    Erica sees the shift, and Rupert smells it. As Erica touches the Patrocli and Roy and Rupert touch Erica, the vortex of Time Magic shifts. Tiny threads of magic, so thin that their purpose is nearly impossible to divine in the moment, wrap themselves around Roy, Erica, and Rupert, snapping into place in time with the teleportation in effect.

    A few moments after arriving, the purpose of the threads becomes discernible; they are the magical equivalent of 'scent markers'. For some reason, the Time Magic has marked everyone who touched the Patrocli directly or indirectly.

    It also becomes clear moments after the teleportation ends that the Time Magic vortex is slightly smaller than it was before. Some of the magic seems to have stayed behind.

    Finally, you see/smell a slightly thicker thread of Time Magic suddenly spike out of the vortex and wrap itself around Roy's head. The magic smells of dust and forgetfulness and looks like dull, grey clouds; it reminds both of you oddly of a person that you can't quite remember in the moment. The strand does not penetrate Roy's head; instead, it splits into two thinner strands and shoots off out of the clearing, towards the wall of the Inner Ring.


    Erica quickly teleports away from the party, ignoring the chorus of mild complaints that your refusal of help creates. Soon enough, you find yourselves standing in front of the End Dorm in the mild twilight of the evening.

    Both Patrocli appear looking tense, neither taking their eyes off of the other. Simultaneously, they catch Roy's hands and direct them to their shoulders. "Wizard thing; no hair or blood. Sorry," they apologize at the same time.

    After the link comes into place, everyone in their mind hears Patroclus's voice, doubled, counting down in unison. Seven. Six.

    We'll have time to talk after this ends; we're almost there, one Patroclus says. Five.

    We might not! Patroclus shouts. Look, Ediz and I picked the End Dorm because we found a secret room. It was just a small space, five feet square at most, but embedded in one wall is a ring of smooth black stone, covered in runes.

    Four.

    At first, I thought it was a portal teleporter, which is impressive enough,
    Patroclus continues, his mental voice growing agitated. But there were so many runes that I didn't know, or that simply didn't make sense... we managed to power it up about a month ago, and that's when we found out that it could jump through time.

    Three.

    There are two main limitations. It can only jump to somewhere in Hope, and if you want to go anywhere other than the portal room, you have to be specific--like atom-specific. I tried to jump to the hallway in front of the classroom one day, and I ended up high above the clouds. I was lucky that I could still breathe; I was even luckier that I went up instead of down...
    Both Patrocli shudder.

    Two.

    Also, only jumps of about a minute backwards are stable right now. We tried jumping forwards, and--I don't--jumping forwards is a bad idea. So we tried jumping back farther, and then this happens. Last time, it went berserk on me, and it--it changed, into something that wasn't me anymore; Ediz and I both had to take it down, and we're lucky it didn't hit the portal.

    Wait, no--last time it went crazy, but it still looked like me just like this time; then it vanished, just like this one will in--

    One.

    Believe me or believe him, we're about to see what happens. Whichever one of us is real, we're showing her the portal after this is done, deal?

    Deal.

    Rooks and ruin, we should've done that in the first place...
    Both Patrocli shake their head, smiling thinly at one another. Then their bodies tense.

    Zero.

    Spoiler: Erica
    Show
    The Time Magic vortex tears itself in two with a sound like an age passing in an instant, the two halves rushing into the two Patrocli. Much of the magic disperses, seemingly contradicting itself and dissipating into warped patterns in the air that resemble clocks, hourglasses, and erosion. The rest... twines with the inherent magic of the two Patrocli, and you see it begin to change.


    Spoiler: Rupert
    Show
    You smell it as the Time Magic activates, ozone and dust and the weight of eons in your nose. Then the smell cuts down abruptly.

    Dry Patroclus begins emitting a smell like ancient bookshelves, cold, lonely nights, and years, with the scent of pure Magic twining through it all.

    Wet Patroclus' smell vanishes. The smell of his staff grows, morphing from dead oak to living wood. Suddenly, it is all shot through with the smell of sweet burning--Fire. Fire and magic.


    Both Patrocli tense, Wet Patroclus looking nervous while Dry Patroclus looks grim. After a long beat, both of their expressions shift to... confused. "Um..." Wet Patroclus says finally.

    "Yup," Dry Patroclus replies, blinking.

    The two Patrocli look at each other, and then both look at the three of you. "I... guess we were both real," Dry Patroclus says, his voice weak with surprise. "So now what do we--"

    He is cut off by Wet Patroclus' scream. Wet Patroclus scream is high and terrified, and he swings wildly with his staff at nothing--no, he is trying to throw his staff away from him. The piece of wood remains stubbornly stuck to his hand, and as you watch twists and grows, winding around his arm and expanding to cover him in a cocoon of dark oak. In mere moments, where Wet Patroclus stood is now a shivering oak tree, growing to the height of a tall man before usddenly bursting forth green leaves.

    "What's happening?" Dry Patroclus croaks, the quaver in his voice more pronounced. He catches sight of his hands, now gnarled claws spotted with age. "I--I--" His robes are tattered and too large for his suddenly-hunched form, his staff gnarled and ancient, topped with a colorless crystal. Dry Patroclus, now ancient, shudders and curls in on himself, holding on to his staff for support.

    The tree unfurls limb-like branches and opens up two dark holes for eyes. Time shines blackly out of them. It stands on two sturdy roots, and the air is suddenly filled with the smell of a campfire as its canopy bursts into golden flame. The ancient Patroclus looks up in the same moment, his eyes shining white with nascent Possibility. He raises his staff and begins to chant.

    Spoiler: Rupert and Erica
    Show
    The thin threads of Time Magic around the three of you emit a soft light/a stronger scent, and you can discern their meaning more clearly. They are telling these two things in front of you where to find you, in space...or time.


    Spoiler: Roy
    Show
    ...Mr. Stonesmith, did you say--er, think something? Glory's voice comes to you, sounding slightly confused. Overgrow and I are patrolling the Wall; is there a concern?


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map will be up soon; sorry for the delay.

    Initiative roll is the same as earlier. All PCs are up.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    There was a part - a not-insignificant part, if I may say - of Erica that wanted to be furious at Patroclus. Not only had he been messing around with vapping time magic without supervision, but he had already seen the dangers, had already nearly gotten himself killed by it, and had kept going?

    The fury didn't come, though. Mainly because she wasn't sure she hadn't just watched him die. Whatever these...things were, they were not Patroclus. Would they get him back, if they beat them? Or was her classmate lost forever?

    Had she been wrong? If she had just picked one and fought from the beginning, would the other have survived? Had she doomed them both trying to save them both? Those were the questions...that did not go through Erica's head. She had made the only decisions she could with the information she had. There was no reason to believe that any different choice would have led to a different result.

    That would have comforted many, but not her. Not Erica Stonesmith, no. Better, by her mind, that it had been the other way. Better that she had made a mistake, had failed. Better that by far than to know that she had done the best she could and it had not been enough, than to know that the outcome was beyond her capacity to improve.

    Better that, for the girl who had grown up with little more than the ability to make her dollies dance, than to be powerless to save her friend.

    Roy's telepathy was still active. She sent to her teammates, ~They are each more powerful than any of us individually. The Tree will be better able to resist than avoid direct harm; the Ancient has deflection wards, so he's going to be harder to hit, but more fragile. The Tree is more susceptible to mental than physiological assaults. Their time magic has touched us, and they can use it to track us. We should assume they are capable of everything Patroclus is, at a minimum, meaning powerful offensive magic and energy commands. Neither has any particular advantage in power over the other, that I can discern.~ Her tactical analysis was crisp. Calm. To most people, it would sound like she was just running down the data with little concern or worry, a professional briefing and nothing more.

    Roy would know that such an objective analysis, plain and simple without any stirring encouragement or defiant bravado, to be a sign of pain.

    Erica had no objective reason to believe that defeating these two would bring back Patroclus.

    But it theoretically might, and no other course of action had that going for it.

    So she drew her sword, morphing it on the draw into the form of a slender rapier, and charged with a wordless warcry of pure frustration, stabbing at the Tree with everything she had as the white-gold crystals in her shoulder plates shone with light.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Uh...I forgot to ask, any useful data on their powers from Arcane Resonance?

    Free: Swap to Positive Energy Flow. Pretty sure I'm already in Armor Mode.

    Move: Into Close range of Tree.

    Standard: Attack Tree with Flux Duelist, All Out Attack for 4, Power Attack for 2, at (1d20+10)[30]. On a hit, Defense DC 25 vs. Damage, Will DC 20 vs. Impaired+Vulnerable/Disabled+Defenseless. If the target has Impervious Toughness, it may substitute half the Impervious rank for its Defense if desired. CRIT! DC becomes 30 and 25!

    Current Status: -4 Defense this turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2019-12-14 at 08:37 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    There was a small, small part of Rupert that thought Patroclus deserved to get burned, since he kept playing with fire. Still, even though he hadn't known them for long, none his classmates had treated him like a pariah, Patroclus included, so he felt a little guilty at having thought that.

    Not that he had a lot of time to, anyway, since the transfigured Patrocli looked pretty hostile.

    "You fool!" he shouted, his mind going to the worst possible outcomes, charging at the Ancient and following Erica's strike with a swipe of his claws. As he moved an ominous vortex of magic gathered around him, spinning faster and faster in all directions - until it burst just as Rupert attacked, enveloping each Cellmate in a shield of unbridled chaos. Whatever passed through would have its path warped, and potentially even reversed.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Free: Switch to Abyssal Power.
    Move: Activate Abyssal Power.
    Standard: Charge Ancient with Entropic Shield, Accurate attack (1) at (1d20+7)[25]. On a hit, Toughness DC 22 vs Damage.
    For two rounds, everyone is Reflected at 1d10+18 and Rupert gains Evasion 2.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy spares a second to glance at Erica with worry. "Mindlink's going down for a few seconds, guys," he says out loud as his crystals' lights shift their brilliance. The blade at his side morphs into two silvery gauntlets, and he hefts his fists as he closes with the big flipping tree that had once been a Patroclus. With a grunt of exertion, he slams his fists into the bark, trying to send it hurtling backwards into the wall of the End Dorm.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free action: Swap to Enhanced Visor Crystal. The main benefit to this is Time Sense, so perhaps that might give Roy some insight into what's happening with regards to time.

    Move action: Into Close range of Tree.

    Standard action: Attack with Iridium Introduction, AoA/PA for 5, (1d20+8)[22] vs DC 28 Toughness Damage, DC 23 Strength vs Move Object, DC 23 Will vs Vulnerable/Defenseless/Incapped. If launched, aimed at the wall, (1d20+8)[13] vs DC 33 Damage after auto-crit, assuming it hits.

    Status: Fine, -5 Defense, Deflected at 1d10+18
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Guided by pure grief and rage, Erica rushes forwards, her rapier striking unerringly at a tiny, almost indiscernible knot in the great Tree's bark. The rapier slides home, striking at a perfect weakness within the dark oak and beginning to tear the ancient Tree apart. The Tree that once was Patroclus screams




    Erica, blinded by rage, misses the knot in the tree by millimeters, her rapier shaving curling flakes of pale wood off of the bark of the Tree. It stares down at her implacably, the dark pits of Time on its face a stark contrast to the pale beech of its wood.

    Rupert's claws tear through the tattered, beaten grey robe of the Elder and into flesh, cracking bones and stripping muscle like dust as the Elder crumples in on himself. The Elder spasmodically grips his staff




    As Rupert closes in to strike, golden runes flare on the Elder's rich red robe, showing it for the beautiful piece of clothing it must once have been while also turning the demon Transformer's claws aside at the last second. The Elder re-firms his grip on his obsidian staff, the bloodred crystal at the top beginning to glow with the same light of Possibility that pours from his eyes as he continues his chant.

    Roy's gauntlets smash into the pale bark of the Tree with a satisfying crunch, carving a deep hole in the Tree and tearing its roots out of the ground. It hurtles back towards the End Dorm at a ruinous speed




    The Tree moves, faster than your eyes can track. One moment Roy is bearing down on the Tree with his gauntlets primed, and the next it is behind him and among you all, its dark cherry bark shrouded in the black luminescence of time. A moment later, the Tree... screams, an elemental, utterly inhuman screech accompanied by a blast of pure black fire.

    Nearer to Rupert, the Elder Magus' chant rises to a fever pitch, the ancient wizard raising his staff above his head only to bring it crashing down with a more-than-physical impact. Reality shivers, and you all feel Possibility's lights shift. The lights that illuminate all of you getting breaks of luck, bringing up your defenses perfectly to block attacks, striking at just the right moment--those all begin to dim, and the lights that glow to show you failing, being sloppy, and losing the will to fight--those slowly brighten. Even worse is a light that shows you all accepting your fate here, waiting passively as you are swallowed by the Possibility of death.

    In the same moment, a rune burns into shape over the Elder and the Tree--a complicated twist that Erica can discern simply enough, as it is an intermediate protective rune known to all Supernaturalists who use runes. It is a twisting of two runes, interweaving together "Shield" and "Spear" until they merge into one; a power which takes the enemies attack and throws it back into their face, as an ancient solider would catch an enemies strike on their shield and return the attack with their own spear.

    Spoiler: Roy--Time Sense
    Show
    It takes a moment, but then you realize it--your Time Sense is telling you that time isn't moving as fast here as it should be. This battle seems to be taking place at almost double the speed of 'normal' time--and unless you miss your guess, the pace is increasing.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Magus Tree

    Move Action: Move behind Roy.

    Standard Action: Activate Time Burns Down. Everyone, Give me Dodge DC 22 for half, Damage DC 27/21, Will DC 22/16 vs. ??? (Insidious).

    Spoiler: Roy Only: If you fail the Will Save by At Least 1 Degree
    Show
    Your sense of time slows considerably; you can tell that you're Dazed, and your ability to act may be Impaired.

    Spoiler: By 2 Degrees
    Show
    Your sense of time stops entirely; you are frozen in place and unable to defend yourself (Stunned and Disabled).


    Elder Magus

    Move Action: None.

    Standard Action: Activate Bend Possibility. Everyone, Give me Dodge DC 22 for half, Will DC 22/16 Hindered & Dazed/Immobile & Stunned. Elder Magus is Reflected at 1d10+24; Magus Tree is Reflected at 1d10+20.

    Rupert: Since both of these creatures were once are related to Magus, they are using Supernatural attacks. Because of this, you take a -3 to Will Saves against their attacks (since their connection to the Supernaturalist power has grown more tenuous). Take a Hero Point for your Cardinal Superiority Complication.

    All PCs are up!
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica's armor absorbed...a solid chunk of the forces that the two Patrocli unleashed. Not all of it. Time branched and shifted around her, turning successes to failures. That sort of time magic had to cost a ton of energy, they probably couldn't keep it up for long...but that didn't really matter. As powerful as these two were, they wouldn't need to.

    But okay. Fine. They could handle this. She and Roy were not the helpless children they had been before! And they had Rupert and all his mighty and terrible demonic powers beside them! They would beat these two and they would get Patroclus ba-

    Then she saw the rune.

    A reversal shield. Not just that, a mass reversal shield, on top of their area blasts. Erica's tactical mind raced. A reversal shield couldn't repel area blasts or direct-target spells and effects, but you couldn't focus either of those intensely enough to punch through high-powered personal defenses. She could try to counteract the rune, but the power gulf would be tough to overcome. It wasn't...there wasn't...

    Erica's face fell. It tore at her to admit it, stoking both her grief at the belief they had lost Patroclus and her sense of powerlessness, but...they weren't going to win this fight. Not alone.

    "That rune will shield them from targeted attacks and reverse any it deflects back upon the attacker at full force," she said, her voice practically monotone, poorly covering up her despair by trying to show no feeling at all. "Hit them with direct-targeting or area attacks or don't try hitting them at all. They will block you more often than you get through and they can take more than we can."

    The time magic could track them. They could withdraw to Battle Dorm. Hopefully most of their class would still be there. All together, they could win this. With Grace's support, she could probably dispel the shield. A coordinated assault from all of them could overwhelm the time-horrors. Use the strategies they had planned for Renatus. Spread out to minimize area fire, swap in to keep the damage from piling up on any one of them. It was doable.

    If the horrors followed them.

    If not...if not she was running away and leaving her friend to the mercies of Time.

    Erica was not fearless. She was brave, could face her fears as well as anyone. But she still felt them. She didn't want to die here. And she refused to allow her brother or her Cell-mate to die here.

    The gray crystal that rested at her collarbone began to glow, shining like the light of the sun filtered through an overcast sky, a clear sign to her teammates that teleportation was imminent.

    She would give them just enough time to strike again if they wished to, and then she was whisking them all from this battlefield.

    As soon as she arrived back at Battle Dorm, she yelled, "INCOMING! GET READY FOR COMBAT NOW!"

    There was something missing in that warning roar. Even though Erica felt entirely certain her class could beat these monsters...the stalwart confidence of Prism Knight was simply not there.

    She prayed her warning was not false.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Hero Point to clear Dazed.

    Delay until after Roy and Rupert act.

    Move+Standard: Extended Teleport the group back to Battle Dorm.

    Free: Shout warning.

    End of Turn: Will to remove Hindered (DC 22): (1d20+8)[23]. Recovers

    Current Status: 1 Bruise.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2020-01-14 at 09:01 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Rupert tried to ignore the Possibilities that were being shown to him, but he had a hard time completely ignoring them. As for the black flames...at first, they seemed to have inflicted severe burns, but after a moment, it became clear that the damage wasn't as bad as it first looked to be - and that what enveloped Rupert was not the Tree's power anymore, but something far more sinister; curse-imbued energy that, almost as if possessed of a will of its own, soon gathered and shot towards the Tree in retaliation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: Dazed x2.
    Free: Switch to Unholy Celerity, maybe it'll come in handy next round.
    Standard: Fiendish retribution on Magus Tree, Will DC 18 vs Cumulative Impaired+Dazed+Vulnerable/Disabled+Stunned+Defenceless/Transformed+Incapacitated.

    Secondary Effects trigger; Evasion 2, everyone still Deflected at 1d10+18.
    Recover Will DC 22 (1d20+12)[18] Bleh.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2020-01-15 at 04:09 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The last thing the group sees before Erica teleports them away is Rupert's retaliatory fire disappear into the Tree's eyes, swallowed whole in the abyss of Time.




    "Yeah, let's really get this party started! CANNONBALL!" Donald cheers in response to Erica's yell, immediately suiting word to action by jumping directly into the pool. Doireann, smirking slightly, directs the water away from her as it splashes up. The party seems to have continued in your absence unabated; the relaxed chatter continues as Donald resurfaces, spitting out a fountain of water from his mouth. In one corner, Lucy and Marius talk quietly, smiling; Dawnlight is nearby, attempting to use Aether to dry her hair (with limited success). Elita looks up from a book she was reading at one of the fold-out chairs and waves at your return. "Patroclus still couldn't make it, then?" she asks innocently, the difference in her new mask striking in how simply... human her voice sounds. "I hope whatever he and Ediz are doing isn't too crazy..."

    Only two people stick out of this relaxed, party-going atmosphere. Near Dawnlight, Manus and Tsubaki are locked in a tense but... oddly disjointed conversation, judging by their expressions. They look on equal terms confused and... deeply concerned, almost afraid, though they don't seem sure as to why.

    Spoiler: Rupert and Erica
    Show
    Rupert's nose fills with the smell of Time as you enter the room, and Erica's visor lights up. The remaining Time Magic that stayed in the room as you left has descended upon your classmates, wrapping each of them in a shroud of heavy, concentrated Time. They didn't hear what Erica yelled; in fact, you're pretty sure they're having trouble hearing all of you at all. They can see you, but they can't seem to notice your distress, and you're pretty sure that the Tree and the Elder would be completely invisible to them.

    The Time Magic around Tsubaki and Manus seems slightly more frayed, the smell slightly weaker, but it is still fully encapsulating them.


    "It was both of them, wasn't it." The voice is finally clear, but you still can't seem to describe it. The girl is finally visible, but you still can't pick out a single feature of her face. "I'm remembering... I'm remembering so much, but we don't have time. They're coming for you, and if they get you no one will remember who you were. If you're lucky, you'll be taken out of time and disappear. But they can be beaten! And I can help."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    So, here's the deal.

    Everyone except for the PCs and Jane Doe are Timed Out. They can't see or interact with the Magus Tree or Elder Magus, and they can't tell when the PCs are being attacked by the same creatures. At the end of every Initiative Round, they get to roll a Will Save DC 20 vs. being Timed Out. As of right now, everyone has a -5 to this save except for Tsubaki and Manus.

    As a Move Action, you can target up to two NPCs and 'assert your existence' directly to them, nullifying their -5 to their Will save for that turn. As a Standard Action, you can either nullify the -5 to four NPCs or give 2 NPCs a +5 to their roll.

    Alternatively, any attack that hits any NPC snaps them out of being Timed Out; however, they roll as if Disabled and Defenseless against that attack.

    Jane Doe is up and ready; she will act after you all do in the next round.

    Roy is on turn.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #438
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy blinks the Time out of his eyes as Erica deposits them back at the pool. To his dismay, he sees everyone has disregarded the situation entirely. He takes in who he thinks is Jane Doe, and nods. "Elita, Donald!" he yells, putting as much seriousness in his voice as he can. "We've got a situation! Massive combat threat incoming!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spending a standard action to give Elita and Donald +5 to their Will saves. Switching to Enhanced Hardness, getting Impervious Dodge 24.

    Will DC 16 to throw off Hindered+Dazed: (1d20+8)[27]
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Even as Roy calls out, the Elder appears in a howl of displaced air, his once-grand red robes whispering raggedly on the floor as he lands. He holds his staff up high, the scarlet gemstone winking into bright light before a bolt of pure energy fires out, wisps of Possibility winking off of the ray as it spins towards Erica. "Interesting... how did you find a disco ball to use?" Marius asks idly, his eyes barely flickering towards the light. Dawnlight glances up at the display as well--and then stares in sudden shock.

    A few moments later, Doireann cheers as a wave crashes out from the lakeside into the pool, announcing the appearance of the Tree. It rears back for a second, and then a multitude of branches lash forwards towards Erica, each twig and leaf covered by a black emptiness of Time stolen away.

    Donald and Elita look over at Roy; Donald's smile disappears at the same moment that Elita lets out a choked sound somewhere between a gasp and a scream. "What... what's happening?" Elita chokes out as Donald begins scrambling towards the edge of the pool.

    "Donald, harry the Tree! Elita, full strength canisters, right away!" Dawnlight snaps out suddenly, her face alert. Her Cell-mates look at her in shock for a moment, and then nod. "Jane, you have permission! Hurry!"

    The girl in the water blinks, then nods, rushing towards Dawnlight, who stretches out a hand to her. The girl grabs Dawnlight's hand--and then Dawnlight's golden glow is matched by a silver glow, and the girl suddenly seems like she could be Dawnlight's twin sister. Dawnlight bites down a gasp, grimacing.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Elder Magus

    Move Action: Fly to V34.

    Standard Action: Attack Erica with Maximized Misfortunate Magic Missile. (1d20+12)[30] vs. Deflect: (1d10+14)[20] On a hit, Damage DC 27, Will DC 22 + Multiattack vs. Weaken Will. Hit, +2 Multiattack.

    Magus Tree

    Move Action: Run to U16.

    Standard Action: Attack Erica with Strike Down Time. (1d20+10)[11] Luck Rerolled to 24 vs. Deflect: (1d10+14)[20] On a hit, Damage DC 29 + Multiattack, Will DC 24 vs. Cumulative Vulnerable/Defenseless/Transformed (All Stats at 0). Both of these effects have Secondary Effect. Hit, no Multiattack.

    Jane Doe

    Move Action: Shift to L7.

    Standard Action: Hit Dawnlight with Steal Essence. Dawnlight willingly forgoes Parry to allow herself to be touched. Dawnlight Will vs. Weaken All Abilities (DC 20): (1d20+8)[27] Resisted entirely.

    Free Action: Swap to Become Essence.

    All PCs are Up! Non-Timed out PCs will act before the Magi on the turn after they awaken.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-01-21 at 05:15 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Rupert thrust himself in front of Erica, intercepting the Elder's spell -he recoiled from the magical force, but the misfortune it carried was pretty similar to the demonic powers already coursing through his body and only had minimal effect.

    Then, after recovering his balance, he spoke a single word - unitelligible, but whoever heard it would feel its wrongness, and those who Rupert wished harm upon would feel it eroding at their very essence.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Interpose the Magic Missile. Toughness 17 vs DC 27, Will 23 vs DC 24. Bruised and Dazed, -1 Will.
    Move: Dazed x2.
    Standard: Dark Speech on Magus Tree and Elder Magus. Will DC 18 vs Non-stacking Weaken All Defences. Dodge DC 18 negates.

    Recover Will DC 22 (1d20+11)[21], +1 Will.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica's sword transformed into a staff. She poured her puny power into it, magnified hundreds of times over by its Flux Gemstones, and slammed it on the ground. A rippling shockwave of exploding space burst through the area, centered on the tree. Outside of its primary target, which would experience a violent spatial disruption that would savagely rend the molecules making up its body, the power was distributed too wide to cause much damage - at worst it might leave a bruise - but hopefully it would snap her friends out of

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Dazed (due to Extended Teleport).

    Free: Swap to Magic Projection.

    Extra Effort: Power Stunt off of Prism Edge - Space Burst: Weaken Toughness 8 (Alternate Resistance [Defense], Accurate 4, Improved Critical 4) Linked Damage 1 (Burst Area 5, Selective, Limited [Bruises Only]).

    Standard: Space Burst with the Tree as the primary





    Erica's sword transformed into a staff. She poured her puny power into it, magnified hundreds of times over by its Flux Gemstones, and slammed it on the ground. A searing wave of brilliant sunlight flared through the area, a searing force that at its center was powerful enough to eat through anything, but as it spread out lost most of its concentration. The solar flames could hurt, but they carried a charge of healing power too, and would only leave injuries that lasted so long against targets the caster wished to

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Dazed (due to Extended Teleport).

    Free: Swap to Magic Projection.

    Extra Effort: Power Stunt off of Prism Edge - Solar Burst: Damage 8 (Alternate Resistance [Defense], 1 rank Burst Area 5, 1 rank Selective, Accurate 4, Improved Critical 3, Reversible, Feature [May Selectively Reverse as well as Selectively target], Quirk [Alternate Resistance only applies to main target]).

    Standard: Solar Burst, primarily focused on the Tree,





    Erica's sword transformed into a staff. She poured her puny power into it, magnified hundreds of times over by its Flux Gemstones, and slammed it on the ground. Space warped violently around her, collapsing inward and carting pretty much anybody in the path along with it before crushing down on the Elder from all directions. It was a rough, violent transition, like bodily throwing them or shoving with superhuman strength, but it'd do the job at least, and maybe even make them realize they were kinda under

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Dazed (due to Extended Teleport).

    Free: Swap to Magic Projection.

    Extra Effort: Power Stunt off of Prism Edge - Let the Space-Times Roll: Damage 8 (Perception Range [Limited to Close]) Linked Move Object 1 (Burst Area 5, Selective, Perception Range, Precise, Increased Mass 4).

    Standard: Let the Space-Times Roll, "centered" on the Elder, Toughness DC





    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    ...I'm not actually doing it because as a GM myself I know that PCs outright circumventing what is meant to be a balancing factor on an encounter with some arbitrary Power Stunt is annoying.

    I just want it to be clear, for the record, that I did come up with a solution to the problem!

    We now return you to Erica's regularly-schedule (which is to say, not eaten by Time Shenanigans) turn.


    For a moment, Erica despaired as nobody seemed to so much as notice that they were fighting. She was preparing to go down fighting and then...Jane spoke to them.

    And she didn't immediately forget it.

    Would it be enough, was the question? Jane was no slouch, but against monsters like this-

    And then Jane's entire flipping Cell noticed what was going on and prepped for the attack. And Erica realized two things. Two things she had already kinda known, but in her despair, had forgotten.

    First, that Jane's Cell was totally her favorite. (After her own, of course).

    Second, she was a flipping human being!

    The tree hammered her with its power, slowing her down and battering her some, but her armor held. Rupert threw himself in the way of the magic missiles for her...and seemed little the worse for wear. She cast him a fierce grin of gratitude.

    "You think you can take my friend away," she said to the two creatures that Patroclus had...become, or summoned, or been eaten by, or whatever. Her voice was soft at first, but it built with every word. "And maybe you can. But not without a fight."

    "You think you can take my Cell away. And there you're just dead wrong. We haven't lost a fight yet, and we sure as Mist aren't going to let a pair of knock-offs like you be the first!"

    "But the real nonsense is that you think you can take our future away. You're gobbling up all these timelines, all these paths of possibility. Whatever. Do it. It doesn't matter. It isn't enough. We've got plans for the future, and they shine too bright to be cast into darkness by the likes of you!"


    Erica's sword transformed into a staff. She poured her puny power into it, magnified hundreds of times over by its Flux Gemstones, and slammed it on the ground. Not to unleash some powerful attack, not to cast a destructive spell upon her foes. The only thing that game out of the staff when she struck it was a loud banging noise. She did it for emphasis. The white-gold crystals in her armor blazed with light as she shouted:

    "We're here to make history! NOBODY'S GOING TO FORGET US!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Swap to Positive Energy Flow.

    Move: Dazed (due to Extended Teleport).

    Standard: One last hurrah before it's gone. Spending a Hero Point. Inspire 5! Everybody but Erica gets +5 to all checks this turn - including their checks to Time In.

    End of Turn: Regenerate a Bruise. Will to remove Vulnerable (DC 24): (1d20+8)[24]. Heck yeah she recovers!

    Current Status: Normal.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2020-01-24 at 03:02 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Roy feels his sister's words lift his spirits at the same time her power bolsters his abilities. He rushes next to old-guy Patroclus and thrusts out with two powerful jabs from his powered gauntlets. And then, brimming with power, he does it again!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: Into Close range with Elder Magus

    Standard action: Attack with Iridium Introduction, AoA/PA 5, (1d20+13)[24] vs DC 28 Toughness Damage, DC 23 Strength or be Launched into Elder Tree, DC 23 Will vs Vulnerable/Defenseless/Incapped. If Launched, aimed at Elder Tree at (1d20+13)[18] vs DC 28 Damage

    Move-by Action: Into Close range of Elder Tree.

    Extra Effort: Standard action to DO IT AGAIN on the Elder Tree, (1d20+13)[32] vs the above

    Move-by Action: 35ft away from everyone else to avoid Burst Areas.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The Word spoken by Rupert vanishes into the fog of Time around the Tree, coming nowhere near its cherrywood bark. The wards around the Elder flare briefly into light for a second, taking in the Word and rendering it innocuous.

    Roy's attack punches through the Elder's wards with a flash, slamming into the red-robed form. He careens backwards with a cry and




    The Elder Magus' wards gleam again as Roy strikes, absorbing the brunt of the attack. Still, enough force comes through the strike to send the Elder careening towards the Tree, which shifts slightly to avoid its fellow. Roy's second strike cuts a deep gouge into the tree, and it gives out a hollow, creaking groan; the Elder's wards flash once more, moving the blue-robed magician away from the Tree's sudden flight.

    Donald, quiet for once now that battle seems to be upon them, blurs towards the tree, swinging around it with a chorus of powerful blows. Elita selects one of the larger canisters from her gas mask, pulling it off with a pneumatic hiss and whipping the canister towards the Elder. Danwlight and Jane Doe, side by side, unleash beams of sunlight and moonlight, focus-firing on the Tree to take it down.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Donald

    Move Action: Close with the Tree.

    Standard Action: Attack with Pressure Point Piano, Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+8)[9] Miss On a hit, Tree Toughness (1d20+12)[17] vs. DC 28+Multiattack Damage, Tree Fortitude (1d02+14)[16] DC 23 vs. Weaken Dodge and Parry.

    Move-By Action: Return to first position.

    Elita

    Move Action: Nah.

    Standard Action: Use Maximum Canisters on the Elder Magus. (1d20+11)[24] On a hit, Elder Magus Toughness (1d20+9)[28] vs. DC 25 Damage, Elder Magus Fortitude (1d20+12)[19] vs. Weaken Fortitude (Quirk--if Toughness is resisted, Weaken is auto-resisted). Hit, Toughness Resist, Fort Auto-Resist.

    Dawnlight

    Move Action: Nah.

    Standard Action: Use Burning Light Blast on the Tree, Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+8)[11] Miss On a hit, Tree HAD (1d20+8)[16] vs. DC 28 Damage, Tree Fort (1d20+14)[30] vs. DC 23 Weaken Toughness.

    Jane Doe

    Move Action: Nah.

    Standard Action: Use Light Blast Copy on the Tree, Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+8)[10] Miss On a hit, Tree HAD (1d20+8)[14] vs. DC 28 Damage, Tree Fort (1d20+14)[27] vs. DC 23 Weaken Toughness.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-02-27 at 10:58 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The Tree knocks aside Donald almost contemptuously, ignoring his strikes. It turns, opening its 'eyes' wide and simply swallowing the twin beams of light into endless Time.

    Elita's canister strikes the Elder squarely, shrouding him in greenish mist and completely obscuring his form. A few seconds late,r the mist lights up from within in a sickly parody of sunlight, the mist burning quickly away as the wards of Possibility flare into light. The Elder stares across the battlefield, looking directly into Erica's eyes... and then it slams its staff down just as Erica did. The odd, cruving gemstone that surmounts the polished white wood begins to fade and sag, turning as black as night. The staff goes from ivory to ebony in an instant, and the Elder's Robes follow suit moments later. Soon, the Elder is a study in monochrome; black robes, black staff, white skin... and white eyes burning with multicolored Possibility in their depths. In that possibility, Erica sees her brave words, sees the power and grace that they inspire in her fellow classmates, sees them rise to join them in the fight... and then sees that possibility burn away, replaced by another.

    The Elder raises his staff, balck orbs of magic bleeding off of it and rushing out at Roy.

    At the same moment, the Tree bends forward, its limbs creaking and stretching far longer than they should be able to go. The limbs reach towards Roy, seeking to strike Time itself from him.

    Meanwhile, your other classmates remain dazed, unaware of the battle occurring all around them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Elder Magus

    Move Action: Back to V34.

    Free Action: Use Possibility's End to negate Erica's HP expenditure with its last Luck point.

    Standard Action: Use Maximized Misfortunate Magic Missile on Roy. To hit: (1d20+12)[29] On a hit, Damage DC 27 + Multiattack, Will DC 22 + Multiattack vs. Weaken Will. Hit, +2 Multiattack.

    Magus Tree

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Standard Action: Use Strike Down Time on Roy. To hit: (1d20+10)[18] On a hit, Damage DC 29 + Multiattack, Will DC 24 vs. Cumulative Vulnerable/Defenseless/Transformed (All Stats at 0). Both of these effects have Secondary Effect. Miss.

    All PCs are On Turn.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-02-27 at 11:19 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Erica released Prism Edge, sending it flying over to the Tree, lunging forward with a piercing thrust of condensed fiery power. "Keep it up! Tree's tanky mage is dodgy!" she called to the others.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Boy I had just zero ideas here this week. But let's at least get something out.

    Move: Dazed.

    Free: Swap to Magic Projection.

    Standard: Attack the Tree with Flux Duelist, All Out Attack for 2, at (1d20+10)[25]. On a hit, Defense or Half Impervious Toughness DC 23 vs. Damage, Will DC 18 vs. Impaired+Vulnerable/Disabled+Defenseless.

    End of Turn: Will to recover (DC 24): (1d20+8)[25]. Recovers

    Current Status: 1 Bruise, -2 Defense this turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2020-03-07 at 01:54 PM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Still haunted by the visions of failure and taking a few moments to regain his footing, Rupert had lost precious time...but it mattered little. Demonic power surged around him, and in a beat of wings he instantly closed the distance with the Elder Magus, claws outstretched and ready to slash.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Apologies for the delay, I pledge guilty of forgetfulness and lost habit.
    Move: Dazed x2.
    Free: Switch to Unholy Celerity.
    Free: "Teleport" to U34.
    Standard: All-out (5) attack Elder Magus with Stygian Claws at (1d20+13)[27], crit on 29+. On a hit, Toughness DC 23/18 vs Damage and Weaken Toughness. Damage carries a Secondary Effect.

    Recover Will DC 22 (1d20+12)[18] Still nope.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2020-03-08 at 01:49 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    The fire of Erica's strike eats into the Tree, and it lets out a creaking groan of pain. Rupert's claws encounter heavy black runes that flare into sickly radiance around the Elder, but the demonic claws prove stronger, shearing through them and slicing at the emaciated form beyond. The Elder's pinprick-bright eyes remain unwavering upon Erica.

    "Got it! Elita, focus on the Tree! Donald, do what you did on the professor!" Dawnlight calls out, charging up another beam of golden radiance. "Jane, close range; Bright Slap should work!"

    "Hey, you're the one who demanded that we all pick Hero names!" Donald called out, charging the Tree again. "At least call us that; c'mon!"

    "Right! of course," Dawnlight responds, sounding actually chagrined and stopping short for a moment. "Sorry, Zephyr, Akhlys, Ditto." Donald lets out a snicker. Elita hunches her shoulders slightly, looking pained. Jane Doe shrugs; the unusual clarity of this moment allows you all to see that she looks... amused.

    Once Donald backs away, Dawnlight and Jane Doe rush forwards, bearing in their hands pools of silver and gold radiance which they use to strike at the Tree in open-handed slaps. The minute they are finished, Elita lobs another canister of dangerous gas.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Donald

    Free Action: Swap to Immobilize.

    Move Action: Shift to T16.

    Standard Action: Use Immobilize on the Tree, All-Out Power Attacking for 5. (1d20+8)[10] On a hit, Magus Tree Fortitude (1d20+14)[31] vs. DC 23 Impaired & Vulnerable/Defenseless & Disabled/Weaken All Movement. Miss

    Move-By Action: Shift back to M18.

    Dawnlight

    Move Action: Fly to U18.

    Free Action: Swap to Bright Slap.

    Standard Action: Use Bright Slap on the Magus Tree, All-Out Attacking for 5. (1d20+13)[24] On a hit, Magus Tree Dodge: (1d20+7)[26] vs. DC 23/18 Damage/Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled. Hit; Resist.

    Jane Doe

    Move Action: Fly to U15.

    Free Action: Swap to Bright Slap.

    Standard Action: Use Bright Slap on the Magus Tree, All-Out Attacking for 5. (1d20+13)[28] On a hit, Magus Tree Dodge: (1d20+7)[22] vs. DC 23/18 Damage/Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled. Hit; 1 Bruise.


    Elita

    Move Action: Nah.

    Standard Action: Use Maximum Canisters on the Magus Tree, All-Out Attacking for 5. (1d20+11)[16] On a hit, Magus Tree Toughness: (1d20+11)[28] vs. DC 25 Damage, Magus Tree Fortitude: (1d20+14)[34] vs. Weaken Fortitude (Only if the Damage causes at least a Bruise). Miss.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-03-12 at 10:16 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Donald found little purchase for his joint-based attacks on the knobbly wood of the Tree, and he was forced to abandon his attempts in the face of the whipping branches. Dawnlight swung with her slap, her palm striking against bark with a hollow thump; the creature took it in stride, twisting nimbly away so what was once a solid hit became a merely glancing blow. It was not fast enough to avoid Jane Doe in the same way, however; the silvery energy ate into the creases in the Tree's great hide, and the smell of campfire smoke filled the air for a brief moment. Elita's canister flew well wide ofthe creature, landing with a plop in the pool. Elita began to mutter to herself quietly, frantically scrabbling for another canister.

    The Tree cast about for a moment before its lidless black eyes landed on Rupert. The deep pits of time stared at the Demon Transformer, and then... it howled. To everyone else, the howl was simply a horrible noise, a gale force wind ripping through a forest of nightmare in the dead of winter; to Rupert, the howl was also a gust of wind, ripping at both his physical and mental form all at once.

    The Elder continued to stare at Erica. It raised its pitch-black staff, pointing it at her. The black blots of Magic once again tumble off of the end of the staff like blots of ink, spinning unerringly through the air... to strike at Rupert as well. The Elder does not look away from Erica.

    For a moment, it seems as though the rest of your classmates are still caught in their spell... and then Doireann gasps, the water splashing up into a half-shield around her in her surprise. "What--where--what--" she chokes out.

    Spoiler: Insight/Deception DC 24
    Show
    Tsubaki just glanced around as well a moment ago, and her fox ears have gone from upright to laid flat against her head.


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Map.

    Magus Tree

    Move Action: Dazed.

    Free Action: Swap to Temporal Gale.

    Standard Action: Use Temporal Gale on Rupert. (1d20+10)[12] On a hit, Damage DC 29 + Multiattack, Will DC 24 + Multiattack vs. Weaken Will. Giant Miss.

    Elder Magus

    Move Action: None.

    Standard Action: Use Maximized Misfortunate Magic Missile on Rupert. (1d20+12)[24] On a hit, Damage DC 27 + Multiattack, Will DC 22 + Multiattack vs. Weaken Will. Hit; +2 Multiattack.

    All PCs are On Turn. Doireann and Tsubaki will act next NPC round.
    Last edited by Zelphas; 2020-03-12 at 10:43 PM.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Quellian-dyrae's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    "No."

    The Elder shot more magic missiles at Rupert. Erica launched herself back across the field, landing in front of him with her arms outstretched, shielding him behind her plate mail's bulk. Blast after blast slammed into her armor - and splattered harmlessly off of her wards. She met his stare directly, his gaze reflecting back from her visor.

    "You don't get to hurt my friends!"

    A gesture of her hand, and the magical forces controlling her rapier slashed it back, searing flame blazing star-bright at its tip, all the energy that could go to power a massive fireball condensed down to a single point. Erica's problem back before she had discovered her facility with Flux Gemstones had always been output. She had never had any problem with control.

    "You don't get to take our future!"

    A flick of her wrist, and the rapier flashed and darted before the tree, drawing searing lines in the air before it, a dazzling and hopefully distracting display. And then with one imperious thrust of her finger it lanced forward, lunging hard at the monster Time had made of her friend, the condensed power at its tip blazing bright enough to vaporize just about any material in its path before discharging into a deadly blast of energy. STAB!

    "You don't get to WIN!"

    ...STAB!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Assert Existence to Marius and Lucy.

    Standard: Attack the Tree with Flux Duelist, All Out Power Attack for 4, at (1d20+8)[13] 26. On a hit, Defense DC 27 vs. Damage, Will DC 22 vs. Impaired+Vulnerable/Disabled+Defenseless. Screw it. Spending my last HP to reroll.

    Extra Effort - Additional Standard Action: DO IT AGAIN! (1d20+8)[14]. Miss unless the first attack renders it Vulnerable

    Current Status: 1 Bruise, -4 Defense this turn, Fatigued as of next turn.
    Last edited by Quellian-dyrae; 2020-03-15 at 02:11 AM.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

    If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

    World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Troll in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Defined on all R
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Teocawki Thread One: Hope Academy

    Rupert had put all of his weight behind the attack, leaving himself open in the process; yet, open did not mean powerless. He thrust out an open palm, and Chaos surged out to meet - and devour - the gale, while Erica shielded him from the arcane bolts...and then crippled the Tree.

    She was indeed right. The monsters wouldn't get to win.

    "Dieeeeee!"

    Once again fiendish power blurred his form as he closed in with the Tree and swiped his claws.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move: Dazed.
    Free: "Teleport" to T17.
    Free: Switch to Fell Flight.
    Standard: Attack Magus Tree with Stygian Claws at (1d20+8)[20], crit on 24+. On a hit, Toughness DC 23/18 vs Damage and Weaken Toughness. Damage carries a Secondary Effect.

    EoT: Secondary Effect triggers. Elder Magus, Toughness Dc 23 vs Damage.

    Recover Will DC 22 (1d20+12)[24]. Finally.
    Last edited by Hyperbolic sine; 2020-03-19 at 02:21 PM.
    To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

    Might suffer occasional hiccups in posting rate. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •