New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

With cleverness and courage, you followed the route of the Pomarj. After penetrating the outer defenses, you came through to the slavers' mountain fastness in the heart of the Drachensgrab, the rocky spine of the mountain wall to see a town on an island in the middle of a vast crater lake. This was Suderham - the aerie of the slave lords.

You attacked the slave lords in their lair beneath Suderham, but on the verge of victory, things took a turn for the worse. With the choice between flight and annihilation, you chose flight. Now, you are all making haste through the tunnels and stone halls, trying to find an exit while the sounds of pursuit are mere moments behind. At a t-shaped intersection, you startle a patrol of guards in the hallway to the left. The hallway to the right appears to be empty. Behind you, the sound of pursuit grows closer as the startled guards ready to attack.

((Roll for initiatives to either fight or flee.))
    Meh, I have nothing clever to say here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords [IC]

Alan Gibbs, Day 1

Initiative: (1d20+3)[4]

(Free Action) Approaching the guards, Alan shouts at them Lower your weapons! NOW!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
    HP: 32/32
    AC: 16
    Touch AC: 11
    FF AC: 15
    Spells:
    0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
    1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
    2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
    3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic

Initiative: (1d20+1)[19]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

((Ooh, before I forget...))

Before he does anything, Jeando checks to see how many guards are in front of him and how many there seem to be behind him,

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Mathias

Mathias says under his voice "I don't think they're gonna listen to ya, Alan."

Init. - (1d20+1)[5]
    Last edited by Stick_Ninja; 2007-08-13 at 06:26 PM.
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERLASTING FUN

Leon Penningon/Trask Theodriel by Ceika!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Jeando sees 4 guards to the left. The ones behind haven't caught up yet, but they sound to be about twice that number.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan
    With blood dripping from his armor and wicked looking ax, Tristan interposes himself between his group and the guards and growls,

"Move."

He stands tall, but running heavy mail isn't a picnic. Tristan edges into a stance and braces himself.

Spoiler
    Show

Crunch:
    (FA) Speak (kind of)
    Init (1d20+2)[11]
    He's willing to run, but I'm thinking even the hardiest warrior couldn't keep a quick move in heavy armor forever, even if he isn't encumbered.
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-08-13 at 08:16 PM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[11]
    Moves to position himself so none of the guards can slip past without provoking an AoO. If the guards are in Medium/Heavy armor he figures he only has to delay them a few rounds so the slower party members can get a head start.

"Not More Guards! Jeando, get moving. I'll buy us a few rounds, then catch up with you." Rashnik hisses, moving his 7' frame to the middle of the left passage between the slaver guards and the spellcasters.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2007-08-13 at 08:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

You all go on ahead, I'll pick up the rear with Rashnik. Get moving.

Batting Order:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Velvet Elvis (22)
    13_CBS (19)
    Krelon (12)
    Godhand (11)
    Psionic Dog (11)
    Stick_Ninja (5)
    JEntropy (4)

Not sure which of Godhand or Psionic Dog has a higher initiative mod.
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-08-14 at 08:30 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Very well! shouts the cleric in a clear, powerful voice. Sir Alan! I recommend you do the same!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aerhalyss

Initiative:(1d20+3)[9](12)

"We'll have to make a stand to dispose of our immediate followers or run forever. If we can herd them to one single spot I might be able to cast something very nasty." While talking she moves 30ft. behind the fighters and casts mage armor.

(( Did we already fight the guards behind us? Do we know how tough the guards are? Are they those guys who bested us or are they just lackeys? ))
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-08-14 at 04:30 AM.
    Orc Girl Avatar by Yeril !

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

12. - Top - End - #12

Sechrin

The tall elf in the blackened chain, skids to a halt behind the line of martialists. In the same motion, he says in his slightly imperious tone, "Spare the one on the right, for the moment. I believe he may wish to be our guide."

He stares at the guard as the man momentarily pauses in indecision. A gesture and the words, "Shi Tia Thol" are spoken in an entirely different voice, one that seems to echo within itself. The guard's eyes meet Sechrin's azure orbs for a moment.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Init - (1d20+3)[22]

I assume our running to this point counts as our move action for this opening round.

Casting Charm Person (standard action) on ye olde guarde, assuming ye olde guarde is of the humanoid type. Will save vs DC 15 or he becomes my buddy for the next 5 hours, assuming no one else in the party attacks him and he doesn't get, y'know, dead or something.

EDIT: Oh, and you said we startled these two guards, so if that's literally true, and my target is flat-footed, then the save DC becomes 16, instead, due to my Cloaked Casting ability.

Depending on initiative issues, I'll be targeting whichever of the two guards hasn't technically been engaged yet. If both are "in combat" with us by the time my init rolls around, the guard gets a +5 to his save, otherwise not.

In the event I succeed in the charm, I'll use a free action to inform everyone NOT to beat on him.

And in that event, will I have time to issue a simple order/request to him or will I have to wait until the next round?
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-08-14 at 06:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: After Velvet Elvis' actions are resolved,

13_CBS is up
    Krelon is on deck
    Godhand Psionic Dog in the hole.
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-08-14 at 10:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

((Wait, so we ARE fighting? I'm so confused...))

Jeando will move towards the right so that all the guards, both startled and incoming, will be in front of him.

All of you! Flee!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the guards try to adjust to the intruders that suddenly appear before their eyes, the group attacks.
    Sechrin unleashes his mental magic against the guard on the right wall. The man stops, stunned for a moment as his eyes dilate and lose focus...then shakes his head to clear his mind of the arcane suggestion (rolled a 17).
    Jeando moves behind Rashnik and Alan, but remains facing towards the intersection to support his two companions. (You posted some slightly conflicting actions, so I tried to resolve it this way)
    Aerhalyss moves to a safe position and weaves her spell. Armor of pure energy forms around her briefly before fading from view, though she can feel the spell's effect settling in.
    Rashnik moves his huge frame into position to protect the other members of his party, making sure that no attacker will get by unharmed.
    Tristan does the same, standing alongside the lizardman.

((Need an action from Mathias to conclude the round))

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan moves to Rashnik's side, drawing blades and waiting for the guards to act.

Spoiler
    Show
    If this isn't okay, ignore, but:

FA: Draw Daggers (Quick Draw)
    SA: Ready attack if the guards engage

Assuming I used a single move to reach where Rashnik is positioned.
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-08-14 at 11:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

"Why do things always end up like this?" Mathias asks no one inparticular. Then he makes a small gesture and his hands flash white for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry everyone, I slept in today...

Anyway, using the ability Combat Medic, which makes him unattackable for 10 rounds, and anyone making an AoO must make a Will save (not sure exactly what, I'll let you decide Xian). That's it then.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Walled behind Tristan and the massive Rashnik, Mathias invokes his healing magic to render him able to help his companions.
    Alan joins the defensive line with Tristan and Rashik.
    The guards, recovering from their surprise, ready themselves to attack. Down the hallway, the pursuing guards sound louder.

((End of round; begin your moves for the next round. As with this past round, and for all future ones, you don't necessarily need to post "in order". Just make your actions known, adding alternatives if you think your actions will differ depending on the actions of others.))
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-08-14 at 01:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

((Mathias is going to hold his action, or heal if necessary))

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alan Gibbs

Alan glares menacingly at the readying guards, daggers outstretched. Right. Come on then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alan will delay his action until the guards act.

1. If he is engaged by a guard
    MA: Feint - (1d20+5)[16]
    SA: Attack
    - MH Attack - (1d20+6)[16]
    - MH Damage - (1d4+3)[7]
    - OH Attack - (1d20+6)[20]
    - OH Damage - (1d4+1)[3]

2. If he is not engaged, but can flank a guard without provoking an AOO
    MA: Flank
    SA: Attack (with above rolls)

3. If he is not engaged, and has no safe flanking opportunity
    MA: Engage a guard without provoking an AOO, if at all possible
    SA: Attack (with above rolls)

In cases 2&3, would prefer to engage a guard one of my allies is already in combat with.

Sneak Attack damage in OOC thread (won't forget to put it here in the future).
    Last edited by JEntropy; 2007-08-14 at 04:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Jeando Dakat, cleric 5
    HP: 32/32
    AC: 16
    Touch AC: 11
    FF AC: 15
    Spells:
    0- Create water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Resistance x2
    1- Bless, Divine Favor, Comprehend Languages, Magic weapon, Domain spell: detect doors
    2- Bull's Strength, Enlarge Person, Calm Emotions, Domain Spell; Identify
    3- Searing Light, Magic Vestments, Domain Spell: Dispel Magic

Jeando will move forward in order to place himself somewhere between his companions and the guards, but making sure to stay of his companions' line of fire. He will then cast Create Water at the entrance to the intersection from the hall he just fled out of, aiming the spell behind his companions but (hopefully) in the path of the oncoming guards, hoping that the slippery water will make at least a few of them fall.

Sir Tristan! To the front line!
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2007-08-14 at 02:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Aerhalyss

Positions herself 5ft. behind the line of fighters (( except the guards have reach weapons, in that case 10ft. )) Looking disapprovingly at one of the approaching men she clenches a thread of wool in her fist and says "Stop!".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Breakdown:
    1. move into position (if necessary)
    2. get a spell component: wool (FA)
    3. cast daze at a guard. (if possible then ready an action to cast when the first guard approaches and comes into a square from where he could attack our fighters and cast the spell just before he attacks, if not possible then just cast at a guard within 35ft.)
    4. make spellcraft check (FA) [roll0] to judge spell effect

if the guard has more than 4 HD he will ignore the spell (and I would like to know if that is the case, hence the spellcraft check)
    if the guard has 4 or less than 4 HD he must make a Will Save DC 15 or loses his next action (he stops where he is standing and remains there until his next round).
    @Xian: In future, do you wish an explanation for each spell I use? The majority of the spells is from Players Handbook Ed.3.5, the rest (caltrops,cheat,combust,unluck) is from the official D&D supplement spell compendium.
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-08-14 at 04:54 PM.

Irideen Yoannaell,woodelf ranger Into the Depths of the Earth (Dawnhorn) character sheet

23. - Top - End - #23

Sechrin

Sechrin hisses ferally when the guard's far weaker mind managed to scurry away from his grasp. All this noise must have distracted him too much.

"If we flee farther we may run into more guards, so we should settle on whether we stand here, or take that chance!" he states tersely as he acts on a compromise by moving some distance down the empty corridor, drawing his longbow as he goes.

When he comes to a halt, he turns and snaps off a single bowshot at the guard nearest his comrades.

Before the arrow even passes halfway to the target, Sechrin already knows it is well off mark. Attempting to salvage something of the failure, he yells, "Consider that a warning! The next will be between the eyes!"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm getting a head start in case everyone decides to try and run (though I seriously doubt we can all just leave them behind).

move: up to 30' down the "right" corridor that was described as empty, less if necessary to keep at least one of the guards (presumably one of the bunch that was on patrol) within 30'.

standard:
    Attack - (1d20+8)[4](12)
    Damage - (1d8+1)[5](6) + (1d6)[3](3) (acid)

-- I assume I missed with this sad little roll, so I've edited in a bit of post-miss (free action) gumflapping --
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 2007-08-14 at 05:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik braces his trident for a charge by the guards, and glance at his companions. "Well, start running! Can't you hear the horde catching up? ... Fine, stay then. Just drop me a heal before leaving when the old survival instinct kicks in."

Spoiler
    Show

Readied attack against any approaching guards with
    Stab - (1d20+8)[23] Damage - (1d8+5)[12]
    Double the damage if the target is charging.

This is assuming the guards are about 25-50 feet away.

If the guards are 15-20 feet away, I'll take a step backward, and keep backing up if the group joins me so I'm never more than 5' back from the most forward member.

If the guards are 5-10 feet away, I'll make a full attack (and 5' step).
    (Will post full attack OoC if this is true)

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sechrin's arrow flies wide, landing with a thunk and a hiss as the acid sizzles on the wall.
    Jeando's blessings from his deity flood a section of the hallway they came down, leaving it slick to those who would carelessly run through it.
    The first guard moves forward to engage Rashnik, thinking to take down the large lizardman. He slashes with his longsword, aiming to cleave his skull; fortunately his scales and height keep the damage minimal. (1 hp)
    Ready for the assault, Rashnik stabs with his trident, scoring heavy damage to the guard. (12 hp)
    The third guard is armed with a small crossbow and keeps his distance, firing a shot at Alan. Alan's breastplate makes its worth known as the bolt ricochets off his chest.
    Aerhalyss' spell goes off, and the fourth guard stops and stares into space. The one next to him loses focus but for an instant before regaining his composure. The other two continue as if nothing had happened.

((Will continue resolution after Godhand's post))

Approximate map:
    Spoiler
    Show

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. T S .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 2 .. .. .. .. .. 1 R M .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. AlAe.. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. 4 .. .. J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    0000000|.. .. .. ..|00000000000000
    0000000|~~~~~|00000000000000

New Order:
    Spoiler
    Show

Velvet Elvis (22)
    13_CBS (19)
    Guard 1 (16) -12hp
    Psionic Dog(11) -1hp
    Guard 3 (13)
    Krelon (12)
    Psionic Dog(11)
    Godhand (11)
    Guard 4 (6)
    Stick_Ninja (5)
    JEntropy (4)
    Guard 2 (4)
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-08-14 at 06:58 PM. Reason: DAMN, ASCII is a butt!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tristan

His ax faintly glowing, Tristan brings the blade into a tight arc, a sudden burst of energy on impact.

"Not even worth my time."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack(1d20+9)[26]
    Damage(1d8+7)[15]

After (hopefully) killing the guard, Tristan moves diagonally down 1, and to the left three.
    Last edited by Godhand; 2007-08-14 at 08:18 PM.
    "Yes, I am shaking in my omnipotent boots at their new outfits. I am helpless against the powers of fashion."

27. - Top - End - #27

Aerhalyss
    Spoiler
    Show
    I may be 20 hours AFK, just in case I post my next turn so you can speed up things.

IF the big group which is following us is very near (for example visible): cast caltrops (see spell compendium), it will conjure 3 squares of caltrops exactly behind the water puddle:
    # #
    #x-x-x#
    #~~~#
    # # (( x- Caltrops, ~ Water, # dungeon walls ))
    EDIT: those conjured caltrops wotk exactly like the mundane ones except: they get a magical +2 enhancement on attack rolls.

IF the big group is far away instead of casting caltrops: shoot the bow at the most seriously wounded guard. shot: (1d20+5)[18](23), damage: (1d8)[3](3)
    if I cannot say who is wounded, the shot will be aimed at the guy with the crossbow.
    EDIT: ignore this post
    Last edited by Krelon; 2007-08-16 at 12:02 PM. Reason: post no longer needed

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

With a mighty slash, Tristan fells the injured guard, who slumps off of Rashnik's trident.
    The fourth guard runs forward to avenge his comrade, thinking he can take out the isolated Jeando but misses his swing by a wide margin.
    Mathias holds his position, watching the skirmish unfold and ready to assist with healing if necessary.
    Alan, not allowing his companion to face the fight alone, rushes to Jeando's aid, going around behind the attacking guard to flank him. His first attack leaves a deep cut in the guard's armor, but the man remains unharmed. The second attack catches a chink in the armor and bites the man's flesh. (-5)
    The second guard, also armed with a crossbow, takes aim at Rashnik, the large lizardman being an easy target, and indeed he hits...but Rashnik's leather armor absorbs all of the damage, as the bolt sticks in the leather without reaching his scaly hide.

Down the hallway, the pursuing group can be seen coming into view, and only half are actually dressed in armor and carrying swords. One of the men in light clothing stops and points in the direction of the group. It seems an unnecessary action, what with the group being in plain sight, until a ball of purple energy forms at the end of his finger and then launches toward the group, smacking Alan upside the head with eldritch energy (-8)

Order:
    Spoiler
    Show

Velvet Elvis
    13_CBS
    Psionic Dog -1hp
    Guard 3
    Krelon
    Godhand
    Guard 4 -5hp
    Stick_Ninja
    JEntropy -8hp
    Guard 2
    Warlock

Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. S .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 2 .. .. T .. .. x R M .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    0000000|.. 5 6 ..|00000000000000
    0000000|W .. .. ..|00000000000000

((End round 2))
    Last edited by Xian; 2007-08-16 at 12:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Rashnik
    Rashnik glares at the guard who shot at him, and with a snarl charges the guard, sheathing his short sword as he moves to grasp his trident with two hands.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charging, Attacking with trident, Power Attack (2)
    Attack - (1d20+8)[23] Damage - (1d8+11)[19]
    If the dead body prevents me from charging, I'll use a move action to to reach the crossbowman. (Subtract 2 from attack roll if charging is not allowed.)

If I can't sheath a weapon as part of my move action, I'll drop the shortsword.

If my allies manage to kill both crossbowman, or the crossbowman flee, Rashnik will instead move down 2 and 1 to the right. If I can both sheath and draw weapons while taking a move action, Rashnik will also draw his longbow and shoot the warlock.
    Alternate Attack - (1d20+6)[16] damage - (1d8+2)[4]

Finally, I'm still listed twice in the attack order.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. T S .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 2 .. .. .. .. .. x R M .. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. 3 .. .. .. .. .. .. .. Ae.. .. .. .. ..
    .. .. .. .. Al 4 J .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..
    0000000|.. 5 6 ..|00000000000000
    0000000|W .. .. ..|00000000000000

On his turn, Jeando will deal #4 a blow with his merciful Greatsword.

attack roll: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d20+6)[7] + (1d6)[4] --+6 from 1.5x STR bonus, + 1d6 from Merciful magic feature. All damage is subdual.