A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 143
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Therendor 15th, 998 YK:

    The House Deneith conclave is still under construction. As such they are not officially performing any of the normal House functions. However a Paladin of the Silver Flame had enough money to move two of the House Deneith mercenaries into protecting the Paladin from harm. The two were on a leave of absence and as such the accepting of the mission was purely voluntary. Their names were Talgen d'Deneith (Trained under House renown swordsman Draco d'Deneith) and Sharwyn d'Deneith (A trained wizard and sibling of Talgen). The mission length was to be "no more than two weeks." After completing the mission the two were to travel directly to Starilaskur.

    Therendor 16th, 998 YK:

    Sojan d'Deneith arrives in New Cyre. The only other dragonmarked member of House Deneith in the area is Kerowyn d'Deneith. Kerowyn is an elderly House Deneith who's mission is to establish a thriving House Deneith conclave in New Cyre. Sojan is in charge of most of the paperwork and is used as little more than a secretary. He is considered to officially still be on a leave of absence yet finds himself helping out where he can.

    Eyre 14th, 998 YK:

    The two siblings never arrived in Starilaskur where the parents live (and are understandably worried) and they send a letter via House Sivis to Kerowyn in New Cyre.

    Eyre 15th, 998 YK:
    Kerowyn (who is too busy to deal with a missing persons case and without any resources to do anything about it) sends Sojan to learn as much as he can about the dissapearance of the two siblings. She tells him everything she knows. A Paladin of the Silver Flame (Sir Braford) along with (what she assumed to be) his squire (a male elf named Karakas) hired the two for a mission that Kerowyn knew little about. She was not in charge of the two siblings and Sir Braford hired them unofficially so she wasn't involved in the deal. She does know that the Human Paladin and the Elven squire were from Thrane.

    Sojan was at a loss as to how to proceed. In a bar he was directed (by Quil) to locate a female half-elf named Serra ir'Waynlen working for House Medani who has skills in such activities (also Quil). Together they investigated for clues as to the whereabouts of the missing paladin and Deneith siblings.



    Eyer 20th, 998 YK:

    By the end of the 20th of Eyer 998 YK, Sojan and Quil (in the form of Serra) had discovered that the Paladin was last seen in a bar called Metrol Memories located near the Old road on the south east side of town. According to a very finely dressed halfling, the paladin was here about a month back. He drank a bit too much and started talking about visions he was receiving. Darkness down the old road deep inside the earth.

    The Old Road used to be a trading road that went from the settlement here across the seawall mounts and into what is now called Darguun about 100 years ago. When the Goblins took over the area now known as Darguun, the trading road fell out of use. The area had seen several raids during the last war and now the Old Road houses nothing more than abandoned and razed barns. Apparently some Goblin Merchants did use the old road recently. They told tales of strange forms of magic given life.

    When it became apparent to Sojan that they would need to leave the city in order to determine what happened he informed Kerowyn that he would require the bodies of adventurers willing and capable of taking on whatever may have captured or killed the last group. Kerowyn put out the word for able bodied mercenaries who are tasked with locating two members of House Deneith. The reward for finding them alive was 1,000 golden galifers half that for the recovery of their signet rings.

    The first to arrive was Emlyn d'Lyrandar who indicated that he had been summoned to House Deneith. Kerowyn looked confused at first, but then quickly explained the mission and the reward to which Emlyn accepted. Only two more were brave enough to answer House Deneith: A human female with tattoos on her face and a nondescript warforged.

    Sojan convinced Kerowyn to give them a large portion up front and she only relented when he said he would make sure that he would control the spending. He was given an advance on the reward of 200 gold to start with instruction to divy it up as he saw fit.


    Eyer 21st, 998 YK:

    The group decides to meet at the bar to talk about their mission as well as decide what to spend their gold on. The warforged introduced "herself" as Fix with some skills as a artificer. Serra ir'Waynlen, a half-elf who helped gather information with Sojan, introduces herself and offers to continue to offer her services. Oren introduces herself as a cleric of the silver flame, not entirely what you expected by the looks of her, but then one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. The group decided that without knowledge of what they were up against the best thing to do was to stay versatile. Fix described her aptitude with scroll making and his extensive knowledge of spells that he could craft for any situation that could arise. The group decided this was a wise use of money and agreed to depart on the morrow.

    Eyer 22nd, 998 YK:

    The four heroes joined together at sunrise and began their journey down the old road. The overgrown Old Road winds through rocky downs, near stands of old-growth oak, and past several abandoned farm shacks. The lonely road is empty of all travelers except for the four of you. The sun finally rises high, and yet the early morning chill never seems to leave. Most of you develop a cold sweat. You take a break at mid day and continue on your trek.

    Eyer 22nd, 998 YK (cont):
    At some point in your travel down the old road the group encountered some large, fluid, mass of sand that immediately began assaulting the party. "Magic given life" as the merchants in town had called it. Serra manifested some type of power that was able to burn it and Fix discovered it was weak against magic. All other attacks were ineffective.

    So close to the Mournland as you were who knows what other monstrosities were about.

    While travelling Fix, the warforged, revealed that she was created within the last year; this was after the Treaty of Thronehold.

    Eventually the group reached a ravine and despite the warning that trespassers will be executed they descended.

    At the bottom the group had to deal with some wild animals before continuing down the ravine. At the bottom of the ravine was some type of ancient sunken citadel.

    Inside the first room Serra revealed that she was a psychic and that she had a psicrystal that could move around like a spider. This proved useful when half the party lady bleeding and dying on the ground assaulted by undead skeletons released from a hidden room. The psicrystal led the undead away and the group was able to lick their wounds.

    Sojan revealed he can heal the group with his magical personality. Oren reveals she forgot to bring a blanket to sleep in.


    Eyer 23rd, 998 YK:
    You guys buff up and rock-n-roll. With the undead beaten you guys find a magic shield, some scrolls, and some trinkets. The next room had a large door with dragon artwork worked into it. The room also had some rats that were easily dealt with.

    The door is completely undamaged and obviously magical. Fix is unable to get through it. Their is a keyhole in the dragon's roaring mouth.

    Doubling back you guys proceed down a hallway. There were three doors, one was a large stone door with a relief-carving of a dragon like fish swimming in an aquatic setting. The second was empty. The third had Meepo.

    Serra served as the translator with the group and conversed with the kobold leaders. The tribe was very formal and the conversation was tense. Yusdrayl informed the group that the "warm bodies" came through here. She told the group that if they rescued their dragon she would give you a reward. The dragon was a newborn and that the goblins are insane.

    Leaving with Meepo towards the route the siblings of Deneith took you encounter a magically concealed door. Only a couple of people in the group can see it. Fix finds powerful magic and a trap in the door.

    Another secret room with undead which the party dispatched. Inside the room is some type of ancient laboratory. The party finds some more magical gear.

    Oren acts oddly around a magical dreamcatcher the group found.

    The party clears out a den of dire rats and finds the body of one of the adventurers that was in the group of the deneith siblings, Karakas (The paladin's squire). You also find treasure that no one recorded on their character sheet.

    You guys camp for 24 hours, identify some magic items, and almost throw the dream catcher into the forge.


    Eyer 24th, 998 YK:
    The group encounters some of the goblin cultist. They are insane and into self mutilation. Two battles are fought and the group manages to save a famous gnome tactician of Thrane and two kobolds.

    The gnome is not interested at all in saving the deneith siblings and joins the group, despite is flailing health, in order to prevent a great evil. Aberrations from the depths of Khyber are plotting something and he aims to stop it.

    He inspires the group of a frontal assault on the goblin's tribe on the morrow.


    Eyer 25th, 998 YK:

    The goblins look to have begun re-fortifying their rear entrance. But you guys catch them before preparations are complete. Still you guys bring a whole host of goblins down upon you. They are insane, into self mutilation, and lead by a two-faced monstrosity and an undead kobold.

    After defeating them the group finally encounters the white dragon. Just as Meepo proclaimed, newly hatched and glistening in the pale snow light. He looks to have received a savage wound across it's face and greet's the party by blasting them with a blizzard breath weapon. Meepo falls unconscious.


    The white dragon, barely larger than a cat, proved difficult to wrastle down. But wrastle down our "heroes" did. With Emlyn finally pinning the small creature. Unable to do anything after several failed attempts at getting free, the dragon seems to give up and begins crying. Despite it's tears and surrendering, Sojan walks up and tries to knock out the dragon with with the butt of his morningstar. Welcome to Eberron small newborn baby dragon.

    Instead the tough little critter stays conscious and the party waits to hear what it has to say. He introduces himself as Don'Moar and informs the groups that the kobolds and the goblins are evil. That the goblins are insane and tried to sacrifice Don'Moar and that the kobolds tortured him and gave him the wound on his face.

    The dragon offers to help the party fight the goblins if they kill meepo, all the kobolds, and especially the queen. Eventually Don'Moar agrees to help kill the goblins in exchange for not trying to kill Meepo today and the party agrees to kill the kobolds (but not meepo).

    Meepo does not seem to agree with this and the party considers tieing him up or trapping him. Instead Sojan decides to let Meepo go, feeling confident that if the kobolds do come then Sojan will just kill their tribe.

    As they approached the tribe of goblins they noted the following:
    You can clearly hear the sounds of a large number of goblinoids jabbering or something on the other side of the door. The noises they make are unlike anything you've ever heard another humanoid make. They sound possessed.

    Obviously the correct course of action is to kick in the door and fight the horde head on. I mean, that's what 2nd level is all about right?

    The room looks like something out of a nightmare. The stone walls have been painted with what looks to be blood. A lot of blood. With it's raised ceiling the place looks like it was at one point a gods honest cathedral. No more, now it is the sleeping area of the bulk of the tribe. What was once the alter has been transformed into a sacrificial slab. A corpse rests upon it, a kobold by the looks of it. Freshly dead. In the sickening light dozens of goblins go about their daily business, which seems to be sleeping, preparing food, arguing, eating, sleeping, fighting, sharpening weapons, sneaking, sleeping, shouting, speaking in tounges, fighting, scarring themselves, and performing lewd acts with the corpse on the stone slab.

    There are more goblins that you can count and when you kick open the door for the briefest moment you have an entire room full of goblins stare dumbly at you. In that moment you all act.

    Fifteen pages of combat that takes exactly sixty days in real time later. Oren dies, Serra dies. Fix should have died but Don'Moar decided to save the group instead of running. The last man standing, Sojan, backed into a corner to fight it out. When it was clear that Sojan would kill the remaining goblins, the DM decided to steal his glory (and his dragon) by having the tribe of kobolds arrive (You know, that tribe Sojan said he'd kill if they showed up???)

    Despite betraying the kobolds, eliminating the goblin threat to their tribe had earned them a one way eviction out of their citadel. They caged Don'Moar and escorted the party out.

    Fix, Emlyn, Sir Erky, and Sojan gave a small funeral for Serra (who turned out to be a changeling) and Oren and made the long track back to New Cyre to regroup.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-10-01 at 02:57 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tius View Post
    Sojan's first stop is to House Jorasco to have his Filth Fever cured. He pushes past his guilt of calling upon the healers at such an hour, knowing that they are accustomed to late night disturbances. Though he doesn't have a lot of money on his person, he hopes 20g and his good word will serve as a down payment on the healing until he can come (immediately) back to pay the rest off. After he's healed up, he'll go directly to his quarters to get some sleep. Come morning, he goes looking for Kerowyn.
    The halflings briskly tell you it's 125 gold pieces and that in a place like New Cyre, especially in New Cyre, they don't lend out their services on good word.

    Eyer 25th, 998 YK

    Fix, Sojan, and Sir Erky find themselves standing outside a House Jorasco establishment. Sojan coughs a little bit, but otherwise feels fine. Sir Erky, stands weakly as well, still battling the beating and starvation treatment he has endured for the last three months. Emlyn indicated he would return in the morning and departed.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sojan inhales deeply and lets his head fall back. He gets halfway through his exhale before he begins to cough involuntarily. "Why those grubby little..." He catches himself and looks sheepishly down at Sir Erky. "No offense. Say, any chance there's a Silver Flamer around here you know who could patch us up? If not, let's go get some rest and cash in some of this gear in the morning. You two are welcome to come stay with me. It's better than sleeping on a dungeon floor, I promise."
    Last edited by King Tius; 2017-10-03 at 09:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    The gnome looks exhausted, both mentally and physically and shakes his head slightly. "No, but I can continue to delay the effects of the disease indefinitely." The gnome puts his hand onto yours and prays for a minute.

    "I will take you up on the offer. I've not slept in a bed in months."


    Sojan you feel neither better nor worse from it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    He cast the spell delay disease again.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-10-04 at 08:36 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sojan hefts the bag full of Serra and Oren's possessions onto his back and nods. "Right then, on me. Move out." He leads Fix and Sir Erky towards wherever he was being put up while the House Deneith conclave is still being built.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Eyer 25, 998 YK

    The trio makes there way to the House Deneith guildhall currently under construction. There is a fully furnished house that has been completed where Kerowyn d'Deneith lives and it also has a small attachment on it with bunks for house members (such as Sojan).

    With Kerowyn not currently around, Sojan let's himself in. It's late afternoon at this point. It's not very long before the two weary travelers pass out in their beds. The warforged stands guard, lost in her thoughts.


    Eyer 26, 998 YK
    A new day dawns on New Cyre. It's a gloomy day in the middle of spring, and it's beginning to look like rain will descend upon the town. While Sojan and Sir Erky sleep through the morning, weary and sore, others, find that certain machinations entail they will be thrust into the spot light. The day for the three of them starts, like most in their lives.

    If the storm moves away, first Khorvaire then Eberron will find it's fate with Cyre." - Translated Draconic Prophecy known to The Bleak Council

    Xarnell
    Xarnell Blackfin finds himself awake early, in a quiet little bar serving a standard Cyran breakfast: smoked ham, eggs with gravy, and greens with a coffee like beverage with spirits named "Metrol." You've been chatting with a dragonmarked member of House Deneith (who introduces herself as Kerowyn d'Deneith). An elderly woman tasked with setting up shop here in New Cyre. She comes off as extremely competent and, in your opinion, a good choice for a place such as this. You specifically were talking with her about work available and she mentioned that two members of her house went missing and that their rescue party returned last night empty handed. She isn't sure if they were successful or not - or if they were stopping in for the night with plans to continue. Still a damsel might still be in distress by the sounds of it and so with not much else going on here in New Cyre and your reasons for coming here was to look for work, you decided to walk with Kerowyn back to their guild hall and speak with Sojan d'Deneith yourself to see if he needed your assistance.

    Oroniir Umbranoth
    Four days ago you had been an hour late - Kerowyn telling you that the group had just departed. Your hopes dashed of helping out with what seemed to be your ideal entryway into the Defenders Guild. Despite that Kerowyn enjoyed your gusto and quickly sizing you up offered to pay you good money for help in managing some of the construction workers. You're one who seems to know a little of everything and you already knew some of the laborers. The pay seemed good and it was an opportunity to get in good with Deneith. For the last couple of days you've been involved with working with the builders and managing the affairs. Today seemed no different. At some point nearing late morning you saw a human and a gnome walk out of the side building reserved for house members. They looked like they just woke up.

    Tobul Amshem
    For the last year you've defended one of the first establishments in New Cyre - the bank. Over the last year the size of the bank and the city has exploded. Where before there were perhaps six dwarves running this bank, today there were over thirty. You've had a lot of interesting things happen in the last year but the most peculiar occurred today. The day seemed like most until your superior handed you a letter sealed with the mark of Morrikan d’Kundarak. He had stared at you intently waiting for you to open it; you could tell that he had no idea what this was about. You mirrored his confusion - how did the house patriarch even know your name?

    The letter was short and vague. Morrikan d'Kundarak was requesting that you proceed to the House Deneith guildhall and assist them until further notice. That was it. You didn't even know what you would be doing with them. So with much though, you decided the best course of action was to simply travel there yourself and find out. This was a highly unusual assignment and when you asked around for any information one of the guildmates, a drunken fool of a dwarf that spends more coin on ale than personal upkeep, mentioned they just lost two siblings and that's probably what this is about.

    You've only just begun training in the dwarven armor you crafted - you loaded it into your backpack and other appropriate gear that you might need and made your way to House Deneith a building still under construction.


    Standing outside near the front of the building under construction

    Sojan you've been updating Kerowyn on what has occurred so far - that you have evidence that you're on the right trail and that they have almost certainly been abducted by an insane cult of goblins. Standing near to her is an extremely attractive half-elf listening intently. One of the laborers - had approached at one point and waited patiently as well. As if scripted, the moment Sojan finished his story a dwarf approached holding a letter in her hand.

    Tobul, you notice that Kerowyn seems to be in charge. Her dragonmark is visible on her neck and jaw.

    (In case it's not obvious, the laborer is Oroniir and the half-elf is Xarnell)
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Fix, warforged artificer, had been through a rather tumultuous week.

    She had arrived in a strange frontier city after running the length of a country, stumbled into a job for which she was barely qualified, nearly gotten killed, made her first friends, gotten half of those friends killed... And on top of it all, her abilities as an artificer had exploded in power and complexity.

    And now she was back in town, with money, resources, and time. For the first time in her life, she could do whatever she wanted. She could make whatever she wanted. Strangely, she found the sensation to be almost smothering. And so she remained mostly silent for a day and a night, her mind whirring with ideas and possibilities.

    It wasn't until Sojan had finished recounting his tale that she was finally snapped out of her reverie. She looks around, seeming almost surprised to find herself outside of the House Deneith complex. Her eyes refocus on Sojan, and she clears her throat. "Thank you for telling the story, Sojan. You did Oran and Serra honor. We're not done with those ruins, that's for sure; but this time we're going to go in better equipped, stronger, and better prepared for what's inside."

    She looks to the new faces, and nods in what she hopes is a friendly manner. "If you're here to come with us to rescue the Deneith siblings, or to recover their remains, I'm glad to hear it. But we cannot leave just yet. Sojan, in his humility, left out there part where he's currently suffering from filth fever. Or would be, if Sir Erky was not expending some of his magic every day to keep it supressed. I have done a small amount of research into the diseases you can catch, and I think I can help him recover from this one in about two days. I know that every delay reduces the chances that we find the siblings alive, but after what I saw in those ruins, I am nearly positive that they are not. And it would be foolish to return to such a hostile and dangerous place with a member of the party holding a disease at bay."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Xarnell listens carefully as Sojan’s give his update to Kerowyn, but also takes a moment to give a courteous smile and nod to the waiting Human, Warforge, and eventually the Dwarf that shows up, but with each polite nod he uses it as an opportunity to quickly scan and study each individual to try to determine their profession, social standing, possible connection to any major influential groups, and other useful insight information he might be able to use later to relate to or influence them with in his favor. After Sojan and the Warforge speaks, Xarnell graciously interjects to ensure he gets to speak before the others that were waiting

    "Please accept my condolences for the loss of your companions, Serra and Oren. If I may give some consoling words I have heard from a much wiser Captain than myself." He pauses a moment while closing his eyes, and for a brief disconcerting second he says nothing as if trying to recall a memory and then begins to recite word for word some random old memory

    “Always remember that for every member that is mourning the loss of a friend, there are an equal number of people that are rejoicing to meet them behind the veil, and just like the gods, people are only truly dead if they are forgotten. So we as the living, must and always ensure to never let the names of those lost be forgotten" He opens his eyes and gives a consoling smile while continuing to speak

    " Which you have done since I am a stranger to you all, yet I know their names and tales now. Which i promise I will not let their story die.",
    He gives a slight cough and clears his throat as possibly clearing some of his own old emotions tied to their tale.

    "I am Captain Xander Blackfin, I’m here to offer my services for hire. I hope I don’t come off as a boastful gasconade in stating the truth of saying; I’m one of the finest Captains among the Ten seas. Besides my skills in commanding a vessel, I’m a decent swordsmen, proficient in the common trading languages, familiar with most royal and local port etiquette, and I'm rather quite capable of talking my way around most delicate situations. All and all, I skilled more than most and I would be honored to assist your cause of finding two of your lost Deneith members for a fair compensation of my time and skill.”


    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot Check for looking over each character (1d20+5)[21] if needed Knowledge (Nobility and royalty) (1d20+6)[25]
    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2017-10-09 at 05:39 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Spoiler: Xarnell
    Show
    Fix is, by all accounts, a generic-seeming warforged. The materials she's composed of are perhaps a little nicer than usual, and she has interesting markings around her eyes, but she's otherwise unremarkable. She's laden with gear, both of the crafting variety and the battling variety.


    Fix nods politely to Xarnell. "Well met, Captain Xarnell Blackfin. As Sojan said, my name is Fix; I do not yet have any other names or titles. As for your compensation, I can say that in addition to the promised reward money there are still a number of valuables left in the ruins that we were too encumbered to carry out; ingots of adamantine and mithral, for instance. Additionally, you will have my services as a fully-trained artificer for the duration of our time together."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sojan smiles and pats Fix on the back. "Earning that name of yours, aren't you? Not content to just repair mundane and magical things, you have to tinker around with us animals, too. I'll let you do whatever you want to try and "Fix" me. Can't be worse than what those crazy goblins would have done."

    The former soldier's eyes get a little watery as he extends his hand to Xarnell and gives him a very firm shake. "Thank you, Captain. Those were kind words, and I won't soon forget them." He glances around behind him, scanning the horizon. "Say, Captain, I don't see any seas around here. You sure you aren't lost?"

    Turning to the other two newcomers, he gives them a firm appraisal and nods. "If you're looking for work, we've got openings. As my better half says, we're probably on a recovery mission more than a rescue mission at this point, but we're going to find them all the same."

    Addressing Fix directly again, he points a thumb back towards the bunks. "I stashed the gear by my bunk, but you're probably better suited to appraising and selling it off than I'd be. Have at it, unless you need time to tinker, in which case I'll handle it."

    Looking to Sir Erky, Sojan resists the constant urge to crouch down and speak to him at eye level. "Sir Erky, I owe you my life in more ways than one. Care to continue along with us? Anything you need that I can help with, once our search is done?"
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    The laborer raises an eyebrow at Xarnell's introduction and allows the conversation to pass before himself addressing the gathered group: "I'm…sorry to hear such a fate has befallen your comrades; I wish I could have been there to help, but circumstances would not allow it. Nevertheless, I would indeed ask to honor their sacrifices and join you in the continuation of your search." He nods to Sojan, pausing for a moment as an optimistic smile quickly spreads across his face.

    "From what you said, it sounds like there may be fighting involved in this mission. While I'd like to think that I'm of some use with a blade," he pauses again, breathing deeply and glancing to the ground before continuing. "Others can attest to the fact that I'm far better at strengthening those I fight alongside. I promise I'll not burden you; a little bit of magic goes a long way, after all, and I can make preparations to leave as soon as you judge it prudent."

    Apparently finished, the laborer contentedly surveys the group for an awkward moment before starting again with a sudden shake of his head. "Oh! My name is Oroniir…Umbranoth! My apologies, a pleasure to meet you all!" He makes his way around the group, attempting to exchange an excited handshake with any who will take one.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sir Erky

    Already healthier looking than he was when you found him two days ago the gnome stands tall and you all see him shake his head when Sojan asks him if he needed anything. Still his attitude is somber and he provides a firmer handshake than expected to Oroniir.

    "I too thank you for your words Xander. My name is Sir Erky, templar of the silver flame. Oren was taken from us too soon, she gave her life purging the world of evil, I know that her soul has joined with the Silver Flame. I fear that I will be following her shortly. I'll be blunt with you who will be joining us - this mission may be over before we start. Whatever evil aberrations guided these goblins is still there, deeper in the earth below the citadel, from the corrupted heart of Khyber. I've not had a vision now for months but my last one woke me from my meditation with such an overwhelming sense of urgency that I risked everything to scout what was down there while I waited for Thrane to respond. "

    He blinks a couple of times, perhaps a personal quirk of the gnome, "I am confident that we're too late and that this is a doomed mission. But like Sir Braford and his squire Karakas, more names that we should not forget, I too will risk my life on the chance that good will triumph over evil. Perhaps this doomsday talk will sound like the rantings of a religious fanatic. But I caution you to heed my warnings, and if you choose to follow us, make yourself right in life first."
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-10-09 at 10:36 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    The Dwarf woman steps forward after the others have spoken, clearing her throat. "I am Tobul Amshem, of House Kundarak and the Banker's Guild, guard of the First Bank of New Cyre. I received a letter that, while short on details, I have reasoned was telling me to help you in this matter. If there indeed is to be combat, do not hesitate to take cover behind me." She hefts her shield in a simple motion. "I prepared myself for a potentially-long trip before coming here, so there will be no need to wait on me if everyone else is ready."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

    My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Kerowyn d'Deneith

    The older woman raises her eyebrow in confusion at Tobul before speaking, "House Kundarak sent you? I... wasn't aware we would be receiving assistance. First Lyrandar and now Kundarak? I didn't think Draco and Sharwyn had any strong political connections but I guess they must have. Speaking of, what happened to Emlyn d'Lyrandar?"
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Xarnell listens and takes mental note as Fix list the things that were left behind in the ruins and as she offers her fully-trained artificer services he gives her an approving nod and smile, and then turns to shake Sojan’s hand, and address his question.

    " I’m sorry to hear of your filth fever, but at least it sounds like Fix can cure it. As for me being lost, I would say I'm simply making the best of a bad situation. As I’m sure an experienced fellow like yourself is aware, the path of life is full of high bright beautiful peaks and low dark lonely valleys, and unfortunately the lamentable consequences of running a transport vessel through perilous waters during war-torn times can sometimes place one’s life in a dark valley. A valley with dead shipmates, a valley with lost ships, a valley with… " the last few words trail off ever so briefly as if he was in a minor moment of reflection then as if realizing what he was doing he gave a cheerful smile, and continues to speak but now with a slightly more cheerful tone

    "But isn’t that what makes life worth living? Knowing that even when in the darkest of valleys that with enough time, wits and hard work it’s possible to reach the next glorious peak. Well anyways, to answer your question. No, I’m not lost. I’m merely in the middle of a climb as we speak, and what better way to do so then to offer my services to someone else who is in need.” He turns to face Sir Erky and gives a deep nod of thanks

    "Good Sir, I do appreciate the exhortations, and I will..well..hm…I guess I shall do what I can to prepare myself to face whatever unknown threat is coming. ”
    After addressing those that spoke to him, Xarnell listens intently to the tail end exchange between Tobul and Kerowyn.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Fix nods to Sojan in acknowledgement of the loot's location. "Before I can know how to best spend my time making gear, I'll need to know what resources we have to work with. I'd always appreciate company, however. I know what haggling is, but I've never done it and don't quite understand the practice."

    She takes Oroniir's proffered handshake carefully, not quite sure how hard she's supposed to squeeze or how long the grip should last. "It is certainly good to have access to more magic. The magic of Sojan's dragonmark certainly kept us alive in the Citadel, and I'd like to think that my own infusions and crafted items also made an important difference. What magical discipline do you practice? Do you have a specialty school or focus?"

    To Sir Erky, she frowns. "I don't think I appreciate the statement that the mission is 'doomed' is a helpful one. I respect your belief in your Silver Flame, and that you have been blessed with divine magic, but prophetic feelings without any Divination magic behind them cannot be taken as truth. We managed to get out alive after going in unprepared and injured, and we there is no reason to believe that we won't fare far better now that we have reinforcements and are properly aware of the dangers we will face. Of course, if we do find a den of evil aberrations we will do our best to help you destroy them."

    Fix greets the dwarven woman with another friendly nod and her best approximation of a smile; her face doesn't quite bend in the right places, but she's giving it her best attempt. "Your help is certainly welcom, Tobul Amshem. And may I say, your plate armor is magnificent, a truly impressive piece of craftsmanship. My teacher told me that dwarves have an inherent faculty with stone and metal; it seems to be the case. And you say that you work for a bank? Would you want to help me appraise the value of some of the pieces we brought out of the ruins? I'd like to know what I should expect for them before going to a merchant."

    At Kerowyn's remark Fix looks around, only realizing now that Emlyn is nowhere to be seen. She shrugs, not sure where the woman could have gotten off to.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Tobul takes a step toward Fix before replying. "As I said; I am a guard, not a teller or appraiser. That said, I've picked up a few things and will certainly help as much as I am able."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

    My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Fix nods, then gestures for Tobul to follow her. "Glad to hear it! We'll take a look at everything over here." She takes two steps away before pausing and looking back at the group, realizing that no final decisions have been made.

    "So, to put it all concisely: we're going to go back to an ancient kobold- and goblin-filled ruin to either save two of Sojan's family, or recover their remains. Based on the fact that a paladin of the Silver Flame and his squire were killed, and the time that has passed, the two are probably either captured or dead. We found a significant number of magic items and valuables in the ruins; the goblins and kobolds do not seem to have the same understanding of wealth as your society. Our society, that is. So in addition to the remainder of the reward, which will be divided evenly, there is also the promise of finding more ancient magic and valuable metals, which will also be shared fairly among the group."

    She gestures to Sojan. "We are still recovering from our time in the ruins, and I would also like to turn our current wealth, which is useless metal, into more valuable magic items. I think a Belt of Healing to start with, so that I can better keep you people from dying." She thinks for a moment, then decides that she's covered everything. "Sojan, work out the details with them, will you? I'm eager to start working."

    With that, she leads Tobul to the nonmagical loot. Fix takes a nonmagical piece of glass out of her spell component pouch, and concentrates on it for a few long seconds. Flickers of blue light play over the surface of the glass, and then fade into a very faint blue glow. She lays out the loot to be examined: a set of fancy cups, four jade figurines, three lapis lazuli gems, and a holy symbol. She leaves out the unidentified magic items, with the hope that she'll figure out a less expensive way to identify them than expending 100gp each time.

    Fix uses the Skill Enhancement infusion to make a Widget of Appraise +3. Her Appraise, untrained, is now +6. She will attempt to assist Tobul in appraising all the loot.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sir Erky

    The gnome opened his mouth to respond to Fix but closed it with a strange look on his face. Sojan you've seen the look and it's one you empathize with. It's the look of a man who's trying to explain the horrors of war to someone who's never seen it. With but a glance Erky meets Sojan's eyes, as if drawn to someone who understands.

    In that moment, Sojan, you know - Sir Erky has led hundreds of men to their deaths. Nameless hundreds, who now haunt the gnomes conscious. Someone doesn't become a renown tactician overnight or without making mistakes. Mistakes in human lives.

    Fix you see nothing but a look of resignation. The gnome looks at the ground, uncomfortably, for a minute. Until finally Fix and Tobul depart to sell their goods.

    "You hear that Oren, Serra? We made it out alive." Sir Erky quips sardonically before turning to Xarnell and Oroniir. Then with more brisk than one would expect, Sir Erky says briskly, "I've led men to their deaths before with the knowledge they would never return. I watched them kiss their wives and children. Hundreds of men, perhaps thousands of men marched into battle under my orders in the war. A feint or a bluff in war requires men. Men who's names you don't know. Men who often don't know they are a sacrifice for a greater good." The gnome pauses there for a minute, "I'll not lead men into an unwinnable fight without them knowing what it is they are marching into anymore."

    With that the gnome nods at Sojan and departs.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sojan gives Fix a nod as she leads Tobul away and sighs as Sir Erky departs. He rubs the back of his head as he sighs again and looks between Kerowyn, Oroniir, and Xarnell. "Reminds me of my stint in the war. The new recruits are so eager to fight they're blind to the dangers ahead while the old dogs have seen too much and feel death at every turn. They're both right and both wrong. It'll be dangerous, but we will be careful. We're planning on departing in two days. Report back here at dawn. Any questions?"

    Over the next two days, Sojan will let Fix tend to his disease while he assists in her bartering and crafting as needed. Halfway through the next day, he gets it in his head that he wants to talk to Sir Erky again, so he goes looking for him.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sir Erky

    The gnome is mostly bed ridden, however he is also eating voraciously as well. It's not surprising that he's not doing much besides sleeping and eating - he claims to have gone two months without food.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Sir Erky is recovering from some serious ability damage to all of his physical stats.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Fix doesn't really know how to respond to Sir Erky's remarks. She's never really understood the gnome, and she doesn't want to make things worse. Instead, she turns to the one thing she's positive she understands: fixing broken things and making new ones.

    Day 1

    She'll take the mundane items recovered from the citadel and sell them in town, bringing the party's available funds up to 422 gp, 8 sp, and one copper piece (not counting the scroll crafting materials that she's already purchased). From that, she'll buy the materials needed to craft a Healing Belt, a versatile item that she hopes will help keep her new party alive and well in perpetuity. It also happens to be one of the only wondrous items cheap enough for her to make, and she's eager to try her hand at making something more permanent.

    She also buys the materials needed to make a flask of acid and a vial of alchemist's fire. Between the 375 gp for the belt and the 10 gp for alchemical supplies, this leaves the group funds at 37.81 gp, to be used at the group's discretion. She recommends making sure that the group has some sources of light; if none of the newcomers have a good lantern, for example, it might be worth it to pick one up.

    Alchemical crafting supplies in hand, she returns to the House Deneith enclave. She lays out her alchemy tools, concentrates, and infuses them with two surges of raw magic. The tools flutter to life, and begin to autonomously measure and mix the ingredients for the two alchemy items.

    Fix infuses Unseen Crafter twice. It has a duration of days/level (so 3 days), and makes Craft checks with her bonus (+7 for Alchemy).
    The acid flask Unseen Crafter will take 10, and make progress at a rate of (15*17= 255sp) per week. That means that it'll take (100/255= 0.392) weeks to finish, so (7*0.392= 2.7) days.

    The alchemist's fire Unseen Crafter will have to make checks, and likely won't finish before the group heads back to the citadel. (1d20+7)[16] Day 1, (1d20+7)[10] Day 2, (1d20+7)[23] Day 3. edit- No progress made until the third day. Looks like that Alchemist's Fire might take a while to cook.


    She'll then get started on the Healing Belt. She lays out the leather and magical components, and gets to work. At the two points when she needs to infuse significant magic into the belt she'll pause, infuse herself with the Skill Enhancement infusion, and then continue. This will use two of her three remaining infusions the first day of her labor.

    UMD to emulate Cure Moderate Wounds, DC 23: (1d20+17)[36]
    Last-ditch UMD to emulate Cure Moderate Wounds, DC 23: (1d20+17)[22]

    If they both fail, I'm going to be throwing some Action Points at the problem.


    That evening she'll meet up with Sojan before he goes to bed. She'll tell him about the day's work, then lay out some basic tools. Fix will infuse herself with Skill Enhancement, this time improving her ability to repair biological systems; healing.

    She'll take 10 on Heal for a 15.

    Day 2

    Fix's alchemical items are still being made and Sojan is healing, so she'll spend some time working on scrolls. She decides to first make a scroll of Lesser Restoration, once again using a first-level infusion when she needs to. She then checks up on her alchemical items.

    She'll use her 2nd level infusions to refresh the Unseen Crafters working on her alchemical items. If they can assist each other, I will happily do the math to figure out the accelerated crafting pace.

    Lesser Restoration Scroll, using 12.5 gp of her scroll crafting material and 1 point from her Craft Reserve.
    UMD, DC 21: (1d20+17)[36]
    Last-ditch UMD, DC 21: (1d20+17)[18]


    That evening, like the day before, she'll meet up with Sojan before he goes to bed. Fix will infuse herself with Skill Enhancement and get to work curing him.

    She'll take 10 on Heal for a 15. Sojan should now be over his Filth Fever.

    Day 3

    Today is the day the party will move out, and Fix is excited to do so. Her flask of acid is coming to completion, and she gathers up the materials for the alchemist's fire, promising the Unseen Crafter that she'll let it resume work later. They only work 8 hours a day anyway, for some reason.

    Once the party has reassembled, she greets them with a friendly wave. "We have a new Belt of Healing and thirty seven gold left! Do you want to buy a mule, perhaps, or do you need more food for the trip? I can never remember how much food you need. And who wants to wear the Belt? I can heal myself, and Sojan heals everyone around him, so maybe one of you three would like to wear it? It makes you better at mundane healing, and you can give someone a burst of magical healing three times a day with it."
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2017-10-11 at 12:58 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    "No questions, but I'll try to keep my eyes open," Oroniir responds to Sojan's query with a grim smile and a finger to his temple. On that, he departs for his family's dwelling.

    In the intervening time between their initial meeting and the group's departure, Oroniir gathers his meager possessions and bids his family farewell. He takes much of this time to mentally steel himself for whatever may lie ahead, convincing himself that this is in fact a good idea.

    On the third day, Oroniir meets with the rest of the group at dawn, having pondered their parting questions. Following Fix's first questions, he turns to Sojan "I had intended to ask: how many rations did your party require during the previous venture? I must admit that judging the length of such a journey is not something in which I have any prior experience, so I'd value your insight on the matter." He turns to Fix again, "a mule would be an excellent idea, given that I'm near to being overburdened myself. I have some coin of my own to spend, so you needn't worry about depleting group funds on such matters. That said, I would gladly take on the responsibility of bearing the healing belt, given that most of the rest of us will have their hands full with swords and shields." He pauses for a moment, as if lost in thought. "You asked before what nature of magic I wield? Mine takes form through mostly through song, though for whatever reason, the few mages I've talked to have described my spells as 'cantrips,' whatever that means...

    "I am ready to depart, aside from those preparations," he states to the gathered group. "And perhaps a light source," musing the last part to himself.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    "No, Questions. See you in a couple days. ” Xarnrell says as he gives a nod of comprehension to Sojan and his question before heading out to figure out what he is going to do for the next few days.

    Sir Erky dire warning of this trip possibly ending with their deaths sinks in as Xarnell tries to decide how to fill the next few days. "Well I doubt we are going to die, but what if the old gnome is right..hmm..better enjoy it while I can." Xarnell decides to make the best of the next fews days and fills his time with nothing but fun decadence and debauchery. Xarnell spends that night flirting and finding a beautiful woman who he finds as good company then spends the rest of his free days taking her out to enjoy fine food, drinks and entertainment.

    Slightly past dawn but still in the early stages of Daybreak is when Xarnell walks to the meeting point. Xarnell is one of the last of the group to arrive. He appears to have all his gear packed and ready, but he looks slightly disheveled with a bit of women’s makeup smudged on his collar, and he carries an aroma mixed of women's perfume and wine.

    "Good Morn All. Seems like a fine day for travel. Are we all set? " He says will a drowsy eyed smile.

    Spoiler: OOC: Cost
    Show
    Price for 2 nights of Debauchery

    Meals, House Ghallanda purified-(5gd per meal x 2 ppl x 3 meals x 2nights) 60 gold
    Good Inn Room (2 gd x 2nights) 4gd
    Bottle of Wine, Fine 10gd
    Entertainment (Tips, Music request,..etc) 6gd
    GRAND TOTAL: 80 gold
    That work for pricing?

    Last edited by DrunkMongoose; 2017-10-12 at 11:48 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Tobul returns to the bank and resumes her shift. When the manager has a few spare moments, she informs him of the mission their patron selected her for, and that it will take her away from work for some unknown amount of time. She also asks to be given in advance the payment she'll have earned between tomorrow and the last time she was paid. If she receives anything, she will return to Fix at the end of the day and give her half to help with supply costs before going home for the night.

    The second day. Perhaps the last time she will look upon this bank she helped defend for a year. By now, her coworkers knew she would be taking a leave of absence for the first time since the outpost, though of course they had no idea of the real reason. She said a few goodbyes, then proceeded on what was, anticlimactically enough, a day of boring routine. "'All the world' might be 'a stage', but I guess real life is seldom such a drama."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

    My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Sojan spends time with Sir Erky as he rests, asking the old strategist for advice on leadership and general combat tactics. He tried to get the gnome amicably drunk, not to ply him for info, but to help quiet the demons. He tried to get Sir Erky talking, prying some good and hopefully happy memories out of him.

    On the day of departure, Sojan insists that all biological party members have ten days of rations and at least two waterskins. He sized up the new party members, takes the healing belt from Fix, and hands it to Tobul.

    "That armor means you're least likely to go down quick. If we're in trouble, keep me conscious and I'll keep us on our feet. Let's move out."

    Sojan leads the group towards the Sunken Citadel.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DrunkMongoose's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    The Pub
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    After hearing Sojan requirement of 10 days rations and 2 waterskins Xarnell realizes he is a bit short on supplies.

    "My apologies for causing any delays, but it seems I'm a few days short on rations. Although I will be sure to quickly rectify the issue on our way out.”

    Xarnell leaves a few moments earlier than the group so he can stop to purchase an extra waterskin and a few extra days of rations.

    Spoiler: OOC: gear purchase
    Show
    Buys dry rations (5sp eachx7) 3gold 5 silver
    Buys extra waterskin 1gd

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Jopustopin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    New Cyre
    Fix and Tobul spend an hour together selling their gear and gathering supplies before they part ways. Then Fix begins her work. As someone who had never worn pants before, the function of a belt seemed obvious to her nevertheless. She designed the most utilitarian belt ever, flawless in it's ability to hold up pants. Then the weaving began - thread after thread of magic woven into the very being of this belt. After a day, it was done. Fix you have never seen such a beautiful belt in your life. Surely the party will be in love with this belt.

    Sojan you didn't have the heart to tell her that the belt looked like it was made by someone who's never seen a belt. So instead you listened to her enthusiasm at it's function and nodded as she put infusion enhanced wet rags on your forehead and other nursing stuffs to get you better.

    Xarnell you go to the finest establishments in New Cyre with your date. An attractive Cyrean named Kahlan who lost both her parents in the day of mourning. You brush elbows with the upper class, dragonmarked and some of Prince Oargev's cousins. It is a night where spending and drinking led to more spending and drinking and you seemed primed to do it a second night. During the second night you run into Emlyn d'Lyrander the half-elf you had heard Kerowyn talking about. He had been with Sojan and Fix on their mission. He seemed here to eat with fellow half-elves of his house. At some point you bought him some drinks and heard his story - an insane cult of goblins, their home, some twisted corrupted alter painted with blood. When you asked him if he was going back the half-elf had shook his head. "I was planning on it, but the house is summoning me to Sharn."

    He hadn't seemed that sad about not having to go again. You noticed on the second night that Oroniir was the lead performer playing as well and he was exceptionally talented at combining his mandolin and dance into a routine that was well received by the crowd. Later in the night, recognizing you, he had moved closer to your table performing a rendition of "Talon d'tek'd'Saron." Your date blushed heavily and it wasn't soon after that you two left, quickly.

    Tobul you find yourself more popular and your friends all seem to be treating you differently. It's not entirely enjoyable. In fact, it's somewhat uncomfortable as you have no idea why you were picked to do this. You decided to continue working but you began putting in even more practice with your armor, wind sprints, swordplay, and other drills to prepare you for combat. This would be your first test with your new armor.

    Fix on the second night when you came in to tend to Sojan you found him sitting at his bunk, Sir Erky sitting across from him. They were laughing hard about something together. They had just clinked glassed and you watched them drink water out of peculiarly tiny drinking cups at a furious pace. Worried that Sojan may be dehydrated you came into the room. The laughing died down a little as you approached with Sojan telling Sir Erky it was time for his sponge bath.

    Oroniir's days are spent with family. He had been one of the lucky ones, escaping Cyre's destruction with most of his family beside him. Something he hadn't really though of till now was the effects on his family if he died here. His father was getting older and the destruction of Cyre he took the hardest. Most so called bards were just performers. But Oroniir's song always had magic to it and, even among Cyreans, known for dancing, Oroniir was among the best. He was a true bard and as such it was not unusual for him to play one last night at House Ghallanda the last night. You saw Xandal with a date. She worked at another bar across town and you've seen her generally rebuff most men's advances. On a whim, later in the night, as you watched them whisper and flirt, you began playing a song that you know all too well... it's almost obnoxiously romantic in your opinion but many would say it's the perfect amount of romantic and who are you to argue with them?

    Eyer 28th
    The group gathers and discusses the food they will be eating on the trip. Perhaps they purchase some of these essential items for life. Tobul you are handed simply the most hideous belt you've ever seen in your life. It's... so awful. You look at the warforged to see if it's a joke but you can tell, her eyes beaming with pride, that it's not. You pray that no other dwarf sees you wearing this thing.

    Regardless at some point you all begin walking down the old road. The road used to connect Breland to Darguun across the Seawall Mountains. However during the war the road fell out of use.

    The walk is familiar for a couple of you, the weather is warmer than last week and you take a break at mid-day. It's mid-afternoon as you round the last turn that leads to the ravine. There seems to be some damage to the terrain here, as if the ravine has grown since you were last here. Just as you were noticing this you feel a tremor under your feet that persists, a constant rumbling like an earthquake. You all turn towards the south and see what appears as an enormous amoebic cloud of black energy that seems to be cracking the earth as it moves forward. It reaches out for you with black tendrils. While it looks nothing like the last one you faced, it's similar enough for you to identify it as another one of those "magic given life" that Serra had talked about. Fix you'd guess it's a different spell.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Need knowledge dungeoneering to identify this creature.


    Initiative:
    Fix: (1d20+3)[9]
    Sojan: (1d20+2)[5]
    Xarnell: (1d20+1)[16]
    Oroniir: (1d20+1)[2]
    Tobul: (1d20+3)[18]
    Sir Erky: (1d20+2)[9]
    The Blob: (1d20)[17] in square L20

    Spoiler: Map
    Show

    [/roll]


    Tobul's turn
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-10-25 at 02:27 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Debatra's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kaeda
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Tobul will shout out a warning for anyone who hasn't yet noticed the creature. "Some creature to the south! It doesn't look friendly!" She will then move towards the thing and prepare for its approach.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free: Speak, take ten for 12 (really 10) on untrained Knowledge check (I seriously doubt ten is enough for anything, but I'll try)
    Move: Move 20' to J-14 while drawing longsword.
    Standard: Ready action: attack the creature defensively if it enters my reach.

    HP: 14/14
    AC: 25 23, -11 Touch, -4 FF
    F/R/W: 6, 2, 3; +2 vs Spells, SLAs, Poison
    -4 to attacks for fighting defensively
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-10-13 at 02:04 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

    The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

    My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?


    Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Khyber's Citadel (IC)

    Fix makes sure to inform people before they get hurt. "That's a living spell, as I recall. We ran into a different one around here earlier. If it touches you, it'll cast a dangerous spell on you, so keep your distance. They're not very fast."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •