A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 238
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator
     
    The Giant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    mad OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew


    A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2, the sixth set of monster miniatures for your tabletop gameŚnow including digital tokens to use in your favorite virtual tabletop. Available from Gumroad!

    ~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Hehe, Elan's punchline. Now I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Minrah.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In your heart.

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Nice comic, following you on twitter really helps keeping up with the updates

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Hamste's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quite over specific right there.
    Avatar created by Elder Tsofu

    Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Wait, CAN vampires turn invisible? They're all clerics right?

    (I mean, there's the Trickery domain, but I'm not sure Hel inherited that particular skill from dear old dad.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lost in the Hinterlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Query: will all these dead dwarves rise as vampires? Can anything be done to prevent that, like cutting off their heads or staking them? I've always been a little fuzzy regarding D&D's rules for vampires.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2017-09-25 at 02:49 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    JumboWheat01's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    New York
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Blasted vampires, littering all over the place. The druids will make them rue this day.
    Avatar by linklele.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Protip, Roy: Do NOT let V and Minrah engage in small talk with each other under any circumstances. The world will end before they're done regardless of how the vote goes.
    Last edited by DGM; 2017-09-25 at 02:52 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Hiro Quester's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    I love how self-aware Elan is becoming about his over-thinking and over-qualifying things he says. She fits in fine here.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaarsuvius
    I will keep my See Invisibility spell active for as long as it persists
    Which is 10 minutes per level, so plenty of time for a battle, if they only could find them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast
    Quick question: can they prevent these dead dwarves from rising as vampires within a day? Would cutting off their heads or staking them work?
    Burning is definitely a solution.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Hmmm. I really think that a lot of Belkar's "evil" genuinely is amorality. He's not above using dark humor to twist the knife when the mood strikes him, but I don't perceive any self awareness in the "food wrapper" and "littering" comments.

    He wasn't trying to be clever or darkly humorous, he genuinely doesn't see what the big deal is. Everybody's got to eat, right?

    Which makes me sad, because I think someone that Belkar cares about is going to have to die, so that Belkar can make the connection between how that makes him feel, and how he made the loved ones of everyone he ever killed feel.

    Unfortunately, Belkar only cares about one living being.
    Last edited by alwaysbebatman; 2017-09-25 at 02:55 PM.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Durkoala's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wait, CAN vampires turn invisible? They're all clerics right?

    (I mean, there's the Trickery domain, but I'm not sure Hel inherited that particular skill from dear old dad.)
    It's probably better to be on the lookout for possibly invisible vampires than it is to get ambushed by improbably invisible vampires.

    Anyway, this was a good comic. What are the odds on Minrah coming along with the Order, either as Durkon's replacement or as an additional party member?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

    Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

    Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somewhere nice.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Well done, Mr. Burlew.
    It seems we have a new hammer-wielding cleric of Thor.
    By Shoreward.

    Spoiler: My RPG title, somehow.
    Show

    {]GNU Terry Pratchett.[}

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Talion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Query: will all these dead dwarves rise as vampires? Can anything be done to prevent that, like cutting off their heads or staking them? I've always been a little fuzzy regarding D&D's rules for vampires.
    Only the ones drained to 0 constitution through blood drain should rise as vampires (or spawn if they were low level). However, the temple has 1D4 days to handle things (Malack gave an average/estimate of about 3 days).

    There's a few preemptive things they could do, which would kill the vampire the moment it animated (in theory). The best option would be to drive stakes through all their hearts and then either cut off their heads and stuff them full of holy wafers or leave the bodies out in the sun and pull the stakes out then, effectively dusting the bodies. They could also tie the bodies under some moving water (which would eat through 1/3 of their health per round). Other options may exist as the setting permits (such as burning the body to ash before they fully turn).
    Last edited by Talion; 2017-09-25 at 02:55 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    OK, shocked nobody has mentioned this yet...

    The Sandstone/Sandrock thing. Do we think this is a typo, an honest mistake, or a major clue about our seemingly innocent dwarven acolytes?

    I am leaning heavily towards the latter.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    Anyway, this was a good comic. What are the odds on Minrah coming along with the Order, either as Durkon's replacement or as an additional party member?
    I'd say low. She's going to be needed in the temple - labour shortages and all that. I suppose she could resign, but that doesn't sound like the kind of thing a Thor priest would do.

    GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Well, she does fit in rather well.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Unfortunately, Belkar only cares about one living being.
    Two. Bloodfeast and Mr. Scruffy.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    It's probably better to be on the lookout for possibly invisible vampires than it is to get ambushed by improbably invisible vampires.

    Anyway, this was a good comic. What are the odds on Minrah coming along with the Order, either as Durkon's replacement or as an additional party member?
    First, I'd like to know why she called him brother SandROCK instead of Sandstone. Who is right?

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    SaintRidley's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The land of corn

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wesleytj View Post
    First, I'd like to know why she called him brother SandROCK instead of Sandstone. Who is right?
    Rich probably typed the wrong name in. It happens.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    littlebum2002's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2012

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    I'm so glad I get notifications of new strips in my email now. Makes me so excited to get that message!
    Avatar by Gurgleflep

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2014

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    So, how many of them are going to pop back up in three days (without precautions, obvs)? All of them?

    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbebatman View Post
    Hmmm. I really think that a lot of Belkar's "evil" genuinely is amorality. He's not above using dark humor to twist the knife when the mood strikes him, but I don't perceive any self awareness in the "food wrapper" and "littering" comments.

    He wasn't trying to be clever or darkly humorous, he genuinely doesn't see what the big deal is. Everybody's got to eat, right?

    Which makes me sad, because I think someone that Belkar cares about is going to have to die, so that Belkar can make the connection between how that makes him feel, and how he made the loved ones of everyone he ever killed feel.

    Unfortunately, Belkar only cares about one living being.
    *Bloodfeast cries quietly in the bag of holding*
    Last edited by Reboot; 2017-09-25 at 03:06 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    So, how many of them are going to pop back up in three days (without precautions, obvs)? All of them?
    If only someone in the party had a sufficient Knowledge (Religion) to know these sorts of things!

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yxylu View Post
    Two. Bloodfeast and Mr. Scruffy.
    Eh. I suspect that if Bloodfeast got taken down in battle, Belkar would be like "Aw. That sucks, he was cool. But at least he went down fighting." Whereas Scruffy dying would be a "big NO" moment.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GreenSorcererElf

    Join Date
    Feb 2013

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Of all the Order members she could relate to, I wasn't really expecting Minrah's closest peer to be Elan.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    When re-reading the comic months from now, I'll appreciate this comic more. Right now, I'm on the edge of my seat going "Come on!". The comic unfolds at a great pace when reading it as a cohesive unit, something I'm always surprised at how well Rich does.
    Last edited by Malfarian; 2017-09-25 at 03:16 PM.
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Am I alone in thinking 'oh, so that door the vamps attacked was underground then'?

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    Only the ones drained to 0 constitution through blood drain should rise as vampires (or spawn if they were low level). However, the temple has 1D4 days to handle things (Malack gave an average/estimate of about 3 days).
    It also requires a burial that creates their special coffin home. I imagine as long that process is disrupted somehow (cremation, don't bury the body, don't use a coffin in the burial, holy wafers, etc.) eventually the Negative Energy in the corpse will fail to form into a vampire spirit and disperse.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    2D8HP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    "Wow she really does not like litterbugs"

    And the Belkster continues to bring the goods!


    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I'm so glad I get notifications of new strips in my email now. Makes me so excited to get that message!
    ?????
    SUCH KNOWLEDGE MUST BE MINE!
    Seriously, how you do that?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Joerg's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: OOTS #1100 - The Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Seriously, how you do that?
    IFTTT with the RSS feed as input is one possibility.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying
    Avatar by Rich Burlew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •