New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Fun Obscure RPGs

I am in the habit of acquiring various RPG systems and my friend offered to get me one as a gift, so I was wondering if people had suggestions. I need the system to be available in book form, not strictly as a PDF. Thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Fun Obscure RPGs

Disclaimer: I have never actually played it with a group, so I can't actually attest to any of that, but - even if you don't play it - Alternity is a pretty nifty system. It's got some really cool setting books, too - my particular favorite is Star*Drive.

Edit: It is long out of print, though, so you'd need to pick it up secondhand.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-09-25 at 05:35 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Which ones do you already have? A list would help people avoid filling the thread with systems you've already got.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If I had to make just one suggestion, it would be Warbirds. It's essentially a pulp game about flying aces in the Carribean, except for the Carribean is a bunch of flying islands around the eye of a gas giant. The mechanics are solid and non-intrusive, the setting is actually really good and surprisingly capable of covering a wide variety of games, and the "Go Gonzo" chapter is a beauty to behold.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Which ones do you already have? A list would help people avoid filling the thread with systems you've already got.
    Fair enough. Just running down my not 3.5 DND or WW shelf:
    Shadowrun
    All Flesh Must Be Eaten
    Deliria
    Rifts
    In Nomine
    Unknown Armies
    Deadlands
    L5R
    Nephilim
    Continuum
    Call of Cthulhu
    Mekton Zeta
    GURPS 4th Ed
    D20 Modern/Future
    Dark Heresy
    Black Crusade
    Eclipse Phase
    Mouseguard
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2017-09-25 at 08:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Engine Heart? Engine Heart.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Engine Heart sounds amazing. I love robots and playing as robots.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Engine Heart sounds amazing. I love robots and playing as robots.
    It's free too! We should play a game on these forums!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    It's free too! We should play a game on these forums!
    I will need to find a PDF and a hard copy for later.
    I added Mouseguard. I forgot I just bought it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ryuutama?

Ryuutama!

Also, before anyone mention it, not sure if this is that obscure, but Chuubo: Marvelous Wish Granting Engine
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Thanks for posting the list!

Savage Worlds is definitely one to check out, if the Deadlands version you're using isn't already the SW version. They have a Rifts conversion among other things, and are the main system for Deadlands now (if you're using the older version of Deadlands; also SW is sort of derived from the old version of Deadlands), and it supports a ton of genres and settings from fantasy to noir to sci-fi. The core rules are enough to homebrew something with as well, and easily moddable into just about anything. Also, fairly inexpensive.

Numenera is another interesting one, if just for the setting if nothing else. From a read-through it's a little wonky mechanically (because Monte Cook, but at least no god-wizards), but the setting is pretty cool.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-09-25 at 09:24 PM.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I have the first edition of Deadlands. Got a lucky break at a local comics shop. Any suggestions that are good for mecha or robots?

13. - Top - End - #13

I know the best anime-based mecha game that's quite obscure. By that I mean, it's obvious that the author actually enjoyed mecha series and know about it, and not just watched evangelion or TTGL and declared that he knows all about mecha.

The system is quite interesting as well. It's basically meant to be played as episodic game, where each session is an episode in tv series. It's both rather rules light but combat heavy, if that makes sense.

I think one of the reason why it's so obscure is the super generic title

It's titled Chris Perrin's Mecha (or actually just mecha, I put Chris Perrin's there so you COULD actually search for it).
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I have the first edition of Deadlands. Got a lucky break at a local comics shop. Any suggestions that are good for mecha or robots?
    Savage Worlds would be easy to homebrew it for and I think there are mecha rules in the Science Fiction supplement for it. (And of course Rifts has Glitterboys).

Battletech has an RPG in addition to the wargames, called either MechWarrior, Classic Battletech RPG, or A Time of War, depending on edition and who was publishing at the time. I've never played any of those, nor have I played the wargame or read the books, so I dunno if it's good, bad, or ugly.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

My friend just got me the new Palladium Robotech RPG as a house warming gift. The collection grows! Is Fate any good? I found a new edition cheap at the local shop but being encouraged to buy new dice for it made me feel meh.

16. - Top - End - #16

It's good, there's a reason it's the "default" rules light game now (though there's also the tiredness on how it's recommended for anything, similar to how everyone default to DnD for fantasy game, but it's not either game's fault).

Also, you can get the book for free. It's "pay what you want." for the digital version. You could get it, see if you like it, and buy it if you like it.

You can play it with a four normal d6, it's not like FFG star wars where the weird dice is really inherent on the system. Fudge dice is just normal d6 with two face as 0, two face as +1, and two face as -1 Just designate which two faces are 0, 1, and -1 (if you don't want to actually mark your dice) and you're good.
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-09-25 at 11:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

The PDF is cool to know TY. I will check out my local store again for it. Does anyone know anything about Remnants?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have no idea if this is still in print but Wield! is a game where you play AS the magic item. Ever wanted to be the one ring? Well now you can! You get some disposable adventurers to puppet about to try and fulfill your magic item agenda either subtly or not so subtly.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mecha-wise, you might look at Jovian Chronicles.

I'm fond of Reve, the Dream Onieros - the core conceit is that everything, including the characters, is being dreamed by dragons. So as you travel, you come closer to your archetype - the version of yourself that the dragons have dreamed about before (and will later). Magic works by getting closer to the dragon's awareness, with risks, since waking them up means they're not dreaming anymore... The consequences of previous awakenings are that rifts exist between dreams, allowing travel between worlds with different contents and genres. Neat magic, resolution, and advancement systems, clunky early RPG mechanics.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

i think a good idea moviesonline.ac

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Teenagers from Outer Space
    Star Frontiers
    Aliens RPG (based on the movie)
    Deadlands
    Ironclaw
    Albedo
    Ringworld
    Dune
    Iron Heroes

Just a few off the top of me 'ed
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I think you would love to play Dragonstrike .

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwampy View Post
    I think you would love to play Dragonstrike .
    Any particular reason?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Also, you can get the book for free. It's "pay what you want." for the digital version. You could get it, see if you like it, and buy it if you like it.

You can play it with a four normal d6, it's not like FFG star wars where the weird dice is really inherent on the system. Fudge dice is just normal d6 with two face as 0, two face as +1, and two face as -1 Just designate which two faces are 0, 1, and -1 (if you don't want to actually mark your dice) and you're good.
    Yeah, my general rule with Fate stuff is 'get the pdf for free, read it, then buy the physical version if I like it).

Yeah, Fudge/Fate dice are just (d3-2)s. The official ones are fairly good quality, but there's no reason to get them and you don't need a chart if you don't. I think the best recommendation for marking ds I've seen were to make four and five +s, two and three -s, and one and six blanks.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Going through the Fate PDF now and feeling ambivalent. What little I saw of Chuubo's made me quite excited though, once I can afford. Going over those mecha suggestions. I grew up on mecha anime and I think that love has never waned.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't Rest Your Head - if you like supernatural horror, this system is great at simulating a slow but inevitable descent into desperation and madness.

Also makes for a good Madoka RPG with minimal houseruling.

If you like giant robots, I second (Chris Perrin's) Mecha.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Don't Rest Your Head - if you like supernatural horror, this system is great at simulating a slow but inevitable descent into desperation and madness.
    I remember reading about this. Thanks for the reminder. Also I picked up Chuubo's on my Kindle App. A lot uglier than be book but a lot cheaper too. Very different RPG system I must say.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-09-26 at 08:43 AM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Aside from Engine Hearts, there's always Remnants and Mecha Aces.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

With Remnants and Warbirds mentioned can anyone give me a quick spiel on the Rapidfire System? The pitch for it reminds me eerily of what Framewerk called itself and that makes me nervous.