New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Farscape ported?

So there is a Farscape RPG that was published as being a D20 system based on the 3.5 OGL, but they made so many tweaks to the system that the races are not directly compatible with a standard 3.5 game.

Does anyone know if there is an existing conversion of these races into standard 3.5? In not I'll try converting at least the Delvians, Nebari, and Kalish.
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-10-05 at 10:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Farscape ported?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    So there is a Farscape RPG that was published as being a D20 system based on the 3.5 OGL, but they made so many tweaks to the system that the races are not directly compatible with a standard 3.5 game.

Does anyone know if there is an existing conversion of these races into standard 3.5? In not I'll try converting at least the Delvians, Nebari, and Kalish.
    Afraid I don't know of any, but I approve of this project! I look forward to seeing Delvians - plant-type psionicists/clerics, huzzah! :)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, So I've started working on the port... first difference in the system from standard 3.5 is how hp is calculated:

hit die come from race instead of class + Con (as per normal)+an extra modifier based on class

hit die in the system are either d8, d10, or d12... I'm thinking d8 races get a -2 con added to any existing racial con modifier and d12 races get +2 con added

The second change is the addition of a new stat - control points... for most characters these serve as a simplified version of Action Points, but Mystics and Priests also use them as their power point reserve... (Mystics and Priests are both fluffed as divine casters while using mechanics that are similar to psionic rules.) I haven't figured out what to do with the racial control modifier yet...

Delvian specific issue:
    When using a power, a Delvian mystic or priest reduces by 1 the control cost for using that power

With psioncs or spell point rules this would be simple to port, but not sure with spell slots... Maybe +1 to caster level... to a single school of magic to keep it from becoming over powered?

Thoughts?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hmm sounds like the system really does have key differences from 3.5... I might try converting the races from scratch, using 3.5 to duplicate the traits they exhibit in the show.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nebari
    Nebari are humanoid in form, with grey skin and black hair (in males) or white hair (in females).
    • Humanoid (Nebari)
    • Medium-sized: Kalish have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution. Nabari are nimble, but have a difficult time understanding how others expect them to behave.
    • Nabari base speed is 30 feet.
    • Low-light vision
    • Nabari gain a +2 on all Reflex Saves.
    • At first level a Nebari choses to either get a
    o +2 on all science/technology related knowledge checks
    Or
    o +1 on all skill checks that use Dexterity as their key ability
    • Favored Class: Rouge

Ok, here's Pip... Her race was the easiest to adapt. Still working on the other two...

By the way, does 3.5 even have rules for severing limbs? Sikozu reattached her limbs after thew were cut off, but not sure how to adapt that if they can't be severed in the first place...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-10-11 at 05:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Ability score adjustments in 3.5 are all an even number I believe, and for severed limbs, refen would regrow them, and vorpal can remove a head... outside of targeting specific limbs (a variant rule somewhere in the DMG I think...) and the feat in savage species (allows you to tear an arm off and throw it at someone... requires regen) I am not sure.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Ability score adjustments in 3.5 are all an even number
    Thanks, fixed that.
    for severed limbs, refen would regrow them, and vorpal can remove a head... outside of targeting specific limbs (a variant rule somewhere in the DMG I think...) and the feat in savage species (allows you to tear an arm off and throw it at someone... requires regen) I am not sure.
    regen... hmm... probably too powerful for a PC race....

...although... possibly a lesser variant of regen - something like:

Lesser Regeneration: after receiving critical hit damage on any her of next 5 turns, a Kalish may as a standard action that provokes AoO activate her Lesser Regeneration ability. Once activated she gains fast healing (1+ 1/5 character level rounded down) until she has healed an amount equal to the critical hit damage

Or is this still to much?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(fair warning I stopped watching before this character was introduced, so I'm going by the wiki - I won't touch the whole bioloid thing either)

Abilities: Constitution +2, Intelligence +2, Charisma -2. Kalish are clever and hardy but somewhat argumentative.

Radiation Vulnerability (Ex): A kalish takes 1d4 points of Constitution drain for each minute they spend in an area of radiation, and whenever they fail a save against a damaging spell with the [Light] descriptor.

Reattach Limbs (Ex): A kalish that holds one of its severed limbs (but not its head) to the stump reattaches the limb instantly.

Shift Gravity Centre (Su): A kalish may spiderclimb at will, as the spell (caster level = character level). (Alternatively, they gain Up the Walls as a bonus feat).

Sustenance (Ex): A kalish only needs to eat and drink ten times per cycle (year).

Translator Intolerance (Ex): A kalish is immune to translator microbes and must learn languages through Speak Language or magical effects.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's what I came up with for Sputnik's race... Sikozu was one of my favorite characters...
    Radiation vulnerability is overstated on the wiki, basically nuclear scientists are the one kind of scientist a Kalish won't become...
    The no translator microbe explains why she is the only individual who has to take the time to learn a language in the show, but she does so incredibly quickly... fully fluent by the end of her first or second episode.
    If someone was going to be using this in a more traditional fantasy setting, I'd be very tempted to add the (Dragonblood) subtype...

Kalish
    Kalish are humanoids with pale skin with and golden subdermal scales visible through the skin in some areas (especially the throat and hairline). They generally have red hair and either blue or green eyes.
    • Humanoid Type.
    • Medium-sized: Kalish have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution. Kalish lack physical bulk, but make up for it with their intellects and fine motor skills.
    • Kalish base speed is 30 feet.
    • Kalish treat all knowledge skills as class skills. They gain a +2 racial modifier on knowledge skills.
    • Kalish ignore starvation rules for up to two months at a time (i.e., no Fort checks until at least two months have passed without eating).
    • The skill point cost of learning a language is half as much for a Kalish as for other races.
    • Shifting their Center of Gravity (SU): A Kalish may take a standard action to begin treating their environment as if it had a limited form of Subjective Directional Gravity (as described in the manual of planes) – a Kalish treats down as being towards any solid surface of their choice they within reach. A Kalish cannot use this ability to fly. If they are not in contact with the surface they are using as down for one round or they take damage and fail a balance check, they will resume feeling gravity in its normal direction and they take appropriate fall damage.
    • Lesser Regeneration (Ex): after receiving critical hit damage on any her of next 5 turns, a Kalish may as a standard action that provokes AoO activate her Lesser Regeneration ability. Once activated she gains fast healing equal to her character level until she has healed an amount equal to the critical hit damage. A kalish that holds one of its severed limbs (but not its head) to the stump reattaches the limb instantly.
    • Favored Class: Artifiecer?

Feat:
    Practiced Gravity [Racial]
    Prerequisite: Kalish
    Benefit: You may use your Shifting their Center of Gravity as part of a move action instead of as a separate standard action.

Edit: Delvians are almost done, but I want to re-watch an episode so I get one of the details right...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-10-12 at 10:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

And here's Blue... Re-watched "Hone on the Remains" for the progression of Zahn's starvation... As for Light Euphoria, I just couldn't bring myself to put "photogasm" in the stat block proper...

Delvian
    Delvian, a sentient and mobile plant species with a humanoid form. Outwardly they have bluish white hair (or none at all), and blueish skin. The skin is covered in yellow highlights that are stomata for the transpiration of water. Delvians are a long-lived race, with 800 cycles being the equivalent to mid-life.
    • Plant Type: As a creature of the plant type, an Delvian is immune to all mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph and stunning. They are not subject to critical hits. Delvians do not need to sleep. Delvian spellcasters still must rest for 8 hours to regain spells. They are immune to spells and effects that only affect humanoids, such as charm person.
    • Medium-sized: Delvians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution. Delvians are agile and have strong powers of observation and Intuition, but their physiology reacts harshly to damage and illness.
    • Delvian base speed is 30 feet.
    • +4 on all Concentration checks. Delvians self-mastery can overcome most distractions.
    • +2 on all First Aid and Biology or Medicine related Knowledge skill check).
    • Delvians cast healing, mind affecting, and divination spells related to communication at +1 CL.
    • Heightened Starvation: In addition to normal starvation rules, after 5 days without food a Delvian experiences additional problems:
    o They grow buds on their skin that release toxic spores that cause respiratory problems, numbness, and eventually paralysis to living, corporal non-plant creatures in their vicinity; spores initially affect a 30 ft radius around the Delvian, doubling with each stage; those in the area must make a fort save every minute that they are in the area, taking 1 point of temporary dexterity damage each time; if an affected individual leaves the range of the spores, the damage goes away after 2 minutes; if they are exposed to the spores again within 3 days, the dexterity damage immediately returns to the fullest affect they have experienced
    o Their mobility decreases (Speed halved starting at stage 2, and quartered starting at stage 4; most succeed Will Check to move or preform any actions starting at stage 2)
    o starting at stage 3, they become carnivores instead of omnivores and require consumption of meat to end starvation
    o starting at stage 4, they become paranoid, interpreting everyone’s actions as hostile (Unfriendly to everyone; -1/4 Character Level (round up) to sense motive, diplomacy, and bluff, +1/5 Character Level (round up) to intimidate; must use sense motive in response to any action they see/hear – failure always interpreted as hostile act)
    o It normally takes 1 hour to progress from one stage to the next; exposure to a daylight spell or similar intense light will immediately move the Delvian to the next stage and half the amount of time in subsequent stages.
    • Light Euphoria: when exposed to intense sunlight or the daylight spell and not in combat, a Delvian most succeed a Will save or remove their clothing and bask in the glorious light. While sunbathing in this manner, they are emotionally euphoric and physically lethargic.
    • Favored Class: Priest or Mystic
    • LA:+1

EDIT: Added mechanics to most of Heightened Starvation; will add spore affects tonight...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-10-12 at 10:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

heightened starvation could use some mechanics, such as the poison stats for the buds, (dex damage sounds like), mobility decrease (halve land speed?), becoming paranoid... maybe starting attitude of hostile, with penalty on diplomacy and bluff but bonus on intimidate?

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ok, added stats for the Heightened Starvation.

How do the three races look?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

All

for the skill bonuses, I would make these even (don't know if it is a general rule, but all the PHB races have an even bonus to skills.
    Races need favored classes (for those using multiclass penalties )

Nebari

Nebari's racial adjustments, if they have social type imcompatibilities should be a cha penalty, not wis

I would make the bonus to reflex saves +2, as halfling gets +1 to all three.

Kalish

Maybe replace the +2 dex with +2 wis since they are more intellectual?

Like interions? I would put what interions are, or if you already made them I would link them

Shifting gravity: SU should be Su, more of a formatting errror Also why 3 seconds? I mean, I would make it a round (or two), after all if he jumps does he have to sit there with like a timer or somesuch? "Woah, that was close 2.9 seconds!" Also this should be a move, then the feat should make it a swift/free...

Lesser Regeneration
    rewrite suggestion:
    Lesser Regeneration (Ex): When a Kalish is subject to a critical hit she may take an immediate action to gain fast healing equal to (1+1/4 character level (effective change of FH 6 vs FH 5)). This fast healing lasts until it heals as much damage as sh took from the critical hit, and at no time can the kalish have more than one use of this ability active.
    Note: I would rename this, as they do not have the ability to actually reattach limbs as is... maybe lesser fast healing ? If you want to keep the name I would work in rferries's Reattach Limbs ability.

Delvian

Ability score adjustments are better then the Kalish (-2 Con vs -2 str and -2 con), and better then nabari's (-2 con vs -2 wis, -2 con).

Plant Type: Hmm, this race may have to be LA +1 for some games, if not +2... After all the plant subtype comes with a lot of immunities...

Starvation
    Mobility decrease: I would make this a "halved", "quartered" kind of thing, after all if we get something to increase speed we'll still be penalized the same as everyone else...

stage 4 paranoia... maybe make it scale, as -10 is rather big...

All in all these look great.
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-11 at 07:44 AM.

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Races need favored classes (for those using multiclass penalties )
    Oops; never played a campaign that enforced those, so I tend to forget about them...
    Nebari

Nebari's racial adjustments, if they have social type imcompatibilities should be a cha penalty, not wis

I would make the bonus to reflex saves +2, as halfling gets +1 to all three.
    Changed the saves, reworded ability adjustments description... In normal usage:

Int = Knowing how to do things
    Wis = Knowing what you should do/knowing if an idea is good or bad
    Cha = making people like you/making them do what you want them to

by that Chiana's Cha is almost supernaturally high - just by walking into the room almost everyone likes her and people are willing to forgive her way more easily than they should, but she is constantly doing things that most people would know better than doing. (the other Nebari in the show don't have the insane charisma of Chi, but they certainly aren't taking any penalties to it.

Favored class rouge on assumption that those loyal to The Authority are not Player Characters or adventurers.
    Kalish

Maybe replace the +2 dex with +2 wis since they are more intellectual?

Like interions? I would put what interions are, or if you already made them I would link them

Shifting gravity: SU should be Su, more of a formatting errror Also why 3 seconds? I mean, I would make it a round (or two), after all if he jumps does he have to sit there with like a timer or somesuch? "Woah, that was close 2.9 seconds!" Also this should be a move, then the feat should make it a swift/free...

Lesser Regeneration
    rewrite suggestion:
    Lesser Regeneration (Ex): When a Kalish is subject to a critical hit she may take an immediate action to gain fast healing equal to (1+1/4 character level (effective change of FH 6 vs FH 5)). This fast healing lasts until it heals as much damage as sh took from the critical hit, and at no time can the kalish have more than one use of this ability active.
    Note: I would rename this, as they do not have the ability to actually reattach limbs as is... maybe lesser fast healing ? If you want to keep the name I would work in rferries's Reattach Limbs ability.
    Added note about fine motor skills to Ability Modifiers...

Iterions reference left over from using the Farscape RPG as a base line for the conversion... removed.

Lesser Regen is meant to simulate reattaching limbs in even en campaigns that don't use the mechanic that explicitly specifies their loss in the first place. Added an explicit reattach limb to the end... Also how high can I push the fast healing without going into LA territory? Could I go to 1 + 1/2 character level round down? all the way to Character level since it requires a standard action, provoking AoOs?

Not sure about the Favored Class... Are there any classes that are specifically science/tech based? Refluffed Artificer was the best I could think of, other than a campaign specific homebrew that I don't think was ever published in an area that I could link to...
    Delvian

Ability score adjustments are better then the Kalish (-2 Con vs -2 str and -2 con), and better then nabari's (-2 con vs -2 wis, -2 con).

Plant Type: Hmm, this race may have to be LA +1 for some games, if not +2... After all the plant subtype comes with a lot of immunities...

Starvation
    Mobility decrease: I would make this a "halved", "quartered" kind of thing, after all if we get something to increase speed we'll still be penalized the same as everyone else...

stage 4 paranoia... maybe make it scale, as -10 is rather big...

All in all these look great.
    I'm fine with Delvians being an LA +1 race...
    Made the changes to Starvation - mobility...
    Any thoughts on how to scale the paranoia? My frame of reference for these mechanics is based on a character with 10 levels as a priest (and possibly a level of rouge or assassin)...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-10-11 at 06:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    Oops; never played a campaign that enforced those, so I tend to forget about them...
    Same, it's a stupid rule, but some people use it.
    Lesser Regen is meant to simulate reattaching limbs in even en campaigns that don't use the mechanic that explicitly specifies their loss in the first place. Added an explicit reattach limb to the end... Also how high can I push the fast healing without going into LA territory? Could I go to 1 + 1/2 character level round down? all the way to Character level since it requires a standard action, provoking AoOs?
    I would say CL is fine, after all it heals only crit damage it is not straight fast healing and has the other penalties ou mentioned.
    Not sure about the Favored Class... Are there any classes that are specifically science/tech based? Refluffed Artificer was the best I could think of, other than a campaign specific homebrew that I don't think was ever published in an area that I could link to...
    Not exactly fitting but there was chaositech... forgot the dude's name that did it (swords and sorcery)
    I'm fine with Delvians being an LA +1 race...
    Made the changes to Starvation - mobility...
    Any thoughts on how to scale the paranoia? My frame of reference for these mechanics is based on a character with 10 levels as a priest (and possibly a level of rouge or assassin)...
    Well, scaling would be to say that higher level are more paranoid then lower level... which should be true since everything is more powerful, they have more enemies eta eta... Maybe 1/4 level as a penalty on the checks and 1/5 as a bonus?

Extended Signature