New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Weapon Enhancement Idea: Lengthened

This is an idea I had for a weapon enhancement, please critique:

Lengthened
    This enhancement may be applied to a weapon with the Reach property. The weapon's melee range is treated as though the wielder was one size category larger. I.E, a Lengthened Halberd sized for & weilded by a Medium creature could strike an enemy up to 20 feet away.

The minimum range is also increased; A Medium creature could strike a fore 3 or 4 squares away but not a foe 1 or 2 squares away. A Spiked Chain may still attack anywhere within its range.

This feature can be activated or deactivated as a Move action.

Regardless of whether the power is active or not, the weight of the enhanced weapon is doubled.

Price: +2 enhancement bonus.
    Last edited by Malapterus; 2017-10-26 at 07:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Weapon Enhancement Idea: Lengthened

Not sure this is balanced, I mean spiked chain loves it, a spear? not so much... I would maybe make it where it can apply to any weapon, and then let it be usable as a swift/free action (vs move). in addition if this is magical it probably shouldn't increase the weight... this sounds like something Lemmy did though, I would suggest looking at his Custom weapon Generator. Sounds like his extendable ability, but reach only...
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I think if you use a spear then you've come to terms with that no-fly zone & being able to full attack someone 20 feet away seems beneficial even with that.

I think it would be overpowered & look strange if it could be applied to any weapon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It should be noted that increasing the minimum range is a major drawback-- if someone does close to melee range, you can't five foot step and keep attacking them. I might leave it at +1 just because of that.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    It should be noted that increasing the minimum range is a major drawback-- if someone does close to melee range, you can't five foot step and keep attacking them. I might leave it at +1 just because of that.
    I second this, if you got mid of the minimum range and let the activation be a swift action and kept it at +2 then I think that this would be good. Or you could make this a set price, something like 8000-10000 gp could work (those are just rough estimates)
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon