Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Happy Death Day

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Happy Death Day

Groundhog Day meets Slasher movie. It's an interesting combination that works for this film. Light scary, no horror, it's a Halloween date night movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Happy Death Day

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Groundhog Day meets Slasher movie. It's an interesting combination that works for this film. Light scary, no horror, it's a Halloween date night movie.
    I am probably not going to go, because all of the characters seem extremely unlikable, but

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the killer the guy she just slept with? Do they explain the magic time loop?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I am probably not going to go, because all of the characters seem extremely unlikable, but

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the killer the guy she just slept with? Do they explain the magic time loop?
    Spoiler: Ending spoilers
    Show
    Nope, it's the roommate. And the loop is never explained. In fact, there's a plot contrivance about her previous injuries transferring over that gets used exactly once and then dropped. Overall disappointing. They do lampshade the Groundhog Day thing, though.

The movie is dumb, but fun for a one-time watch. Definitely turn your brain off at the door, though.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I am probably not going to go, because all of the characters seem extremely unlikable
    I'm not sure I understand this reasoning. The hero of Groundhog Day began as extremely unlikable too, but he didn't finish that way.

This isn't using spoilers btw, the trailer itself is pretty clear the (anti)heroine is going through a redemption arc ('when you relive the same day over and over again you kind of start to see who you really are'.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I thought it was a really fun, and in some ways interesting, movie. My brother actually made a whole video about it hereabouts. I'd recommend it and the movie itself alike.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this reasoning. The hero of Groundhog Day began as extremely unlikable too, but he didn't finish that way.

This isn't using spoilers btw, the trailer itself is pretty clear the (anti)heroine is going through a redemption arc ('when you relive the same day over and over again you kind of start to see who you really are'.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The twist is when she becomes all goody-two-shoes that's not the end. She dies and has to start over. However, it's how she died that she puts together who the killer really is, and then she's free of the time loop. We don't see her be goody two-shoes in the final loop, but we can infer she is changed for the better.
    "Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons fifth edition, where the DCs are made up and the rules don't matter."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't seen any ads for this film (i came into the thread thinking it was about one of the two heavy metal songs with that name), is it not playing in america or limited to art film theaters or made-for-tv/made-for-netflix?
    Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Its playing at cinema's here in England. It just might not have been released in America yet
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I haven't seen any ads for this film (i came into the thread thinking it was about one of the two heavy metal songs with that name), is it not playing in america or limited to art film theaters or made-for-tv/made-for-netflix?
    Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Its playing at cinema's here in England. It just might not have been released in America yet
    I saw it on 42nd street, Times Square, New York.

I suppose some people don't consider it in America.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I'm from America. It's out here, but I didn't see a whole lot of promotional material for it so I think it was a pretty quiet release.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I've seen a few trailers on TV and at the cinema. Not a huge amount but definitely enough to let people know it was on.
    Kinda strange, with Halloween coming up it would seem to be just the film to plug
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

oh yeah! good movie

13. - Top - End - #13
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamgic Mod: Necroposting on a thread about death is too on the nose.
    Adventures in the Borderlands [5E] - IC-Ch.0 / OC
    Face on the Water [Wanderhome] - IC-Ch.1 / OC
    A Concerto of Death [5E] - IC / OC / Awreen

Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may his pixels never die.