New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Reign of Winter: The Snows of Summer IC

At the halfling's words, Vilgeirr shrugged out of the straps of his own heavy backpack to let it fall to the snow with a heavy thud. Taking up his shield and drawing his falcata, the northerner rolled his shoulders in preparation for another fight. "Wyrm you say? Then by all means, step back.
    It is the life-long dream for a man to kill a wyrm in single combat. I lay claim to this kill."
    He bangs the pommel of his sword on his shield, attempting to draw out the green scaled creature that Dorrin spotted.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"Well," Kira says, musket in her hands. "I won't be the one to steal someone's kill. If you'd like help after all, just say something like 'by the gods, my face' or 'help, it's eating my eyes'."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

"Vilgeirr, you have very strange life long dreams. But sure, uh, best of luck to you, and please do scream incoherently should you require assistance."

Dorrin gave Kira a quick nod of his head, himself shifting a bit to the side so as to have a clear shot at the snow bank.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

As you talk, eyeing the suspiciously serpentine sessile snowdrift, you can hear voices somewhere behind you. They seem to be in Taldane, and strangely enough, do not belong to bandits.

(lady and gentleman, describe yourself)
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

From behind the group they can hear heavy breathing in tune with one of the footsteps, and soon see a pale halfling in winter gear trying his best to traverse the snow while shielding his eyes. He seems to take a moment to notice the group in front of him, then finally stops and falls back against the snow to catch his breath. "This snow . . . is too deep . . . and too bright. How do people put up with this miserable weather?" He says more to himself than the group. "You're . . . the ones . . . investigating this strange winter . . . right?"

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Along with the Halfling, there is another set of steps close to him. This one sounds different than normal steps, more like skis than anything else. And there's a different voice to go with it as well. Very different. Feminine, playful, confident. "Oh, you just have to a healthy body, like I do, and the cold won't bother you. Well, alright, the magic helps a bit too."

When the pair catches up, the group sees a great contrast from the Halfling. Unlike the Halfling, this tall, leggy human woman is definitely NOT in winter gear (except for the strange, ski-like "shoes" she wears). In fact, no one here thought that the village of Heldren has a brothel, but with the appearance of this woman with flame-red hair, perhaps now you're not so sure. Besides those snow shoes, this extremely curvaceous woman sports only a hooded "robe" that doesn't close all the way in the front, baring...many things. She doesn't seem to be affected by the strange weather at all. "Hello there, you all look like capable sorts, but if my instincts are correct, you're about to tangle with the forces of the cruel winter fey and maybe worse. I'm a local, but I've had run ins with northern fey before, and I can be your guide on such matter. I'm Анастасия, but if that's too hard for you to pronounce, you can call me Anastasiya."
    Spoiler: What she's wearing
    Show
    Last edited by Frosty; 2018-02-24 at 01:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

At the first sign of voices from behind, Kira turns to ready Lyubimaya Sestra against a potential new threat. The arrival of the halfling, however, seems to calm her, and her weapon is politely pointed away from the new arrivals. "Actually, we - " then she steps, as the second arrival appears. For a moment, she's silent. "Ана...Анастасия," she says, speaking the name without much of an accent.

"I'd let you guide me anywhere," Kira continues with a smile, and slings her firearm over her shoulder with some care. "A hand-kiss is traditional around here, isn't it? I'm Kira, Nyetesky." As she speaks, she steps forwards, doing a half-kneel and kissing Анастасия's hand if she allows it.

8. - Top - End - #188

Attention focused for the slightest sound or movement, the hulking Ulfen ignores the voices behind him.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Perception (1d20+1)[17]

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin turned his head briefly, giving a "Ssshhhhh!" as he turned his attention back to the snow drift. He then turned back again, eyebrow raised, trying to keep his attention at least partially on the danger.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

The former witch-on-training smiles and does extend a hand to allow it to be kissed. However, she refrains from saying anything more for the time being, as apparently stealth is needed right now. Anastasiya gives the pretty gunner a questioning look, wondering what's going on.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

"Spotted a beastie," Kira whispers, returning to her full height and bringing her musket back into her hands. Her tone makes it clear that, to her, this is all the explanation required to explain the need for quiet. "He's going to be taking it down on his own, some tradition."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

A sudden gust of biting cold wind passes through the forest, and the snow from many branches is blown away into the drifts below. This happens with the tree Dorrin points towards as several big lumps of snow plop down. For a moment, Vilgeirr gets the feeling that some of them did have weird shapes - or maybe the snow the wind blows across the forest is playing tricks on him.

13. - Top - End - #193

Vilgeirr wasn't sure it wasn't a trick of the light, but he centered his attention on the odd lumps of snow anyway as they were all he had to go on.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I can't really ready an action out of combat, but he's trying to anticipate the creature's attack and make a preemptive strike. You let me know when you want to get this party started.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

The sorceress is also ready, putting her hands close to each other in a way so she can begin casting quickly if need be.

Tradition for solo combat? How silly...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Soon, you fall silent. Under the cover of snow and drifts as high as your waist - or, for some of you, your shoulders- you seem to think traces of a serpentine figure from nearly every direction. After about a dozen nerve-wracking seconds, one of the drifts explodes as a large reptile, at least 6 feet in size, leaps out. It has the body of a thick serpent, the head of a drake and two short arms ending in grasping claws. Maybe it's your imagination, but you get the feeling that there's a small cloud around its maw. It streaks towards Vilgeirr, throwing itself at him in a mad rush to bite and tear.

Spoiler: Tatzlwyrm Pounce!
    Show
    (Pounces at Vilgeirr, no surprise, no reaction either due to the missed perception checks
    Rake 1: (1d20+5)[15], damage Damage(1d4+2)[6]
    Rake 2:(1d20+5)[24], damage Damage(1d4+2)[4]
    Bite w. grab if applicable: Attack (1d20+5)[6], Damage(1d8+2)[7]
    Grab if the bite hits: (1d20+9)[17] vs CMD

We are using group initiative, so you can react in whatever order you prefer.)

16. - Top - End - #196

The viking absorbed the tatzlwyrm's charge with his prepared stance, but even so, one of the draconic creature's claws managed to slip under the lip of his heavy oaken shield and drag down Vilgeirr's leg. Grimacing in pain, he slashed at the miniature linnorm with his antiquated blade.

Show

Falcata melee attack: (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+2)[7]
    Critical damage: (2d8+6)[12]

Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Vilgeirr Ísleifson
    Human (Ulfen) Fighter (Viking) 1 NG
    HP 6 (3) / 13 Speed ft Init 2
    AC 18 Fort 5 Ref 2 Will 1
    CMB +4 BAB 1
    Falcata +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x3)
    Spiked heavy wooden shield +4 (1d6+4, x2)
    Greatclub +4 (1d10+4, x2)
    Throwing Axe +4/+3 (1d6+3, x2)
    Str 16 (3) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 12 (1) Int 12 (1) Cha 11 (0)
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1
    Last edited by drayen; 2018-03-01 at 02:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

"You got this Vilgeirr, don't let that wyrm take you down! Show him who's boss!" Dorrin cried out from behind the man, backing away slightly. As he did so, his sling went into motion, and he tried to time the stone flying through the air into the beast at a moment when the northerner's gaze would be shifted away...

Show
    Free: trash talk (not actually inspirational)
    Swift: use a round of Archaeologist's Luck (+2 to attack and damage this round)
    5 foot step: away, because duh
    Attack: (1d20+6)[15], damage (1d3+3)[4]
    Move: reload sling

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

The explanation of Vilgeirr's desire for solo combat leave's Trallus' mind as soon as he sees the monster appear. Stumbling backwards, he stills himself briefly enough to stammer out an incantation. When the spell completes, the shadow of something sharp shoots away from Trallus, embedding itself into the tatzlwyrm's shadow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move ten feet away from the tatzlwyrm, then cast Shadow Trap on it.

On a failed will save (DC 15), the tatzlwyrm becomes entangled for 2 rounds, only able to move 5 feet away from where it was when the spell started. It can attempt another will save using a full-round action to try to end it early.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Kira moves through the snow, levels her musket at the unusual creature, and then...waits.

Show
    Kira is going to change position and then ready an action, triggered by "the beastie lands a hit on Vilgeirr", so she can just interrupt any potentially lethal hits.

A: (1d20+5)[15] touch
    D: (1d12)[9]

Last edited by PersonMan; 2018-03-02 at 01:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

The red sorceress merely repositions herself behind the Ulfen man and waits. "It's all yours, big boy. Kill it quickly. It's getting late enough that we should get back to town..."

Show
    MOVE to one square east of Vilgeirr on the map. Ready an action to use Burning Hands on the Tatzylwyrm if it actually attacks her. She aims it so she doesn't hit allies.

Fire Damage: (3d4+6)[12] Reflex DC 16 for half.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

While both the falcata's blow and the stone manage to hit the beast, and Norseman draws some blood, it serves to do little more than anger the beast.The tatzlwyrm thrashes at Vilgeirr, but several of its attack don't find any purchase. One does, however, and a swipe of its seemingly short claw manages to find an unprotected spot at his shoulder. It rears up to leap again, but some force appears to hold it back and it barely moves a yard or or two, before it turns back to Vilgeirr and obliges his desire for a personal fight.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

Standard action: attack (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7]
    Possible crit confirmation: Standard action: attack (1d20+5)[6]
    Grab if applicable: Standard action: attack [roll]1d20+9/roll]
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2018-03-04 at 04:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

Marveling at his luck thus far in battling the wyrm, Vilgeirr agains strikes out at the winter creature with his falcata.

Show

Falcata melee attack: (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+3)[9]
    Critical damage: (2d8+4)[15]

Show

Vilgeirr Ísleifson
    CMB +4 BAB 1
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Анастасия grins in amusement as the two primary combatants continue to flail about in failure. "The faster you kill the wyrm, the faster we can have wyrm soup tonight!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Same readied action as last time.
    Fire Damage: (3d4+6)[13] Reflex DC 16 for half.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorrin's eyes narrowed; that wasn't supposed to happen. "Okay... yeah, you take it on yourself, I'm going to get a head start" he muttered, clambering through the snow away from the beast while trying to think of any particular details or tidbits he might have heard about this snowy wyrm that could be useful...

Show
    Withdraw as full round action, as I don't want to be next to this thing. Put me basically at the intersection of Kira and Trallus on the map (so three squares over, two squares up)

Knowledge check: (1d20)[5] , plus applicable bonus (Arcana 7, Geography and Local 8, everything else 3. Bardic knowledge so I count as trained.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Kira does what she did before.

Show
    Same as before.

A: (1d20+5)[11]
    D: (1d12)[11]

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Trallus nervously fumbles for his crossbow as he notices the fight drag on. He takes a shot at the monster with the small weapon in hopes he can hasten its death.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Draw light crossbow
    Standard: Shoot at the monster

Attack: (1d20+2)[3] accounting for likely dazzling from light exposure.
    Damage: (1d6)[1]

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Vilgeirr and his draconic foe battle it out in a flurry of attacks, neither being able to land a decisive blow through the protection of the other. In the chaos and the flurry of white, Trallus' bolt hits Vilgeirr's mail, but safely plinks off it. Still more angered than hurt, the Tatzlwyrm focuses on the nemesis in front of it.

Spoiler: Tatzlwyrm Attack:
    Show

Attack roll: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage:(1d8+3)[10]
    Crit confirmation if any:(1d20+5)[25]
    Damage:(1d8+3)[11]
    Grab roll:(1d20+9)[21] vs CMD

Note that Vilgeirr is still fatigued from the frost

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Kira holds and keeps her weapon on the target.

Show
    Yes.

A: (1d20+5)[6]
    D: (1d12)[8]

29. - Top - End - #209

Show

Yep. I've been taking that into account in my attacks. I actually accounted for it too much in my first attack thinking it was a -2 to attacks instead of a -2 STR and DEX.

Vilgeirr doesn't even notice the errant bullet skitter across his side as the dragon-kin presses it's attack. The flashing claws and snapping maw require his full focus as he tries to find an opening against it.

Show

Falcata melee attack: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[3]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+3)[13]
    Critical damage: (2d8+4)[18]

Show

Vilgeirr Ísleifson
    CMB +4 BAB 1
    Combat Stamina 3/3
    Shield Bearer 1/1
    Last edited by drayen; 2018-03-11 at 11:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Now at a safe(r) distance from the beast, and having had a chance to collect his thoughts, Dorrin loaded another bullet into his sling, and let fire.

Show

Standard: fire bullet, with Archaeologist's Luck included. (Note to self: check back on how much of this I've used. I have at least a couple left though.)
    Rolls -- Attack: (1d20+6)[25], damage (1d3+3)[4]
    Move: load sling