New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Favored Enemy question

I was looking at the SRD at the ranger's favored enemy list and didn't see lycanthrothopes or shape changers on the list. Would either of these be an availible choice for a ranger?
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Favored Enemy question

Lycanthorpes are always Humanoid (race, Shapechanger). You could ask for a housrule on Humanoid (Shapechanger) being a valid favored enemy, but otherwise, no, as the text on ranger says "From the table" specifically.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Lycanthorpes are always Humanoid (race, Shapechanger). You could ask for a housrule on Humanoid (Shapechanger) being a valid favored enemy, but otherwise, no, as the text on ranger says "From the table" specifically.
    Lycanthropes can also be Giants.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah, right. I'm reading the examples

Eeevil examples. Remember kids: The truth is not in the examples. The truth is in the template, the true truth, the whole truth, and mostly the truth, if we discount errata.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, always read the text for details like this. You can't trust the examples to cover everything, they're ebil like that.

Anyway, unless the setting includes prolific lycanthropy, I would advise against taking (or making) a house-ruled Lycanthrope favored enemy. It's simply too narrow to hope to get use out of.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas