New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Creating an LoL/DotA/WoW-inspired arena battle

In my setting, the aventi are an underwater race which settle disputes through sports, by besting their opponent in a way which is most fitting for the dispute.

Now, when a there is a serious dispute (one which might result in a civil war in kingdoms of other races), the aventi would collect champions to fight for them in an arena. Basically, League of Legends.

I thought it might be interesting to have my players partake in such a battle, but I wanted to see if there are any systems which might support this idea, so that I don't have to invent the whole system from scratch.

What I currently have in mind:
    - Some form of area control game, where the players need to win small skirmishes (which are essentially encounters) in order to conquer new territory (objectives), while defending other parts of the area in order not to lose territory;
    - A "respawn" mechanism, so that players can play for objectives (and not their life);
    - A "powerup" mechanism, so that good moves empower themselves, while bad moves empower the enemy.

There might be a board game that I'm unaware of, which offers something similar, so if you can suggest that as well I'd be grateful.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Creating an LoL/DotA/WoW-inspired arena battle

...Laser tag IRL?

You could try Kemet as a board game. Risk might also be a simple option.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Creating an LoL/DotA/WoW-inspired arena battle

Bloodbowl!