New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Structural Class Changes (Mana, Talents, Clear gish structure)

Hey, I have an interaction here that I am not sure it should happen.

If you have the Blood Money spell and access to Greater Restoration, you can cast every spell for free, since you can cleanse your hit points maximum reduction. Is that an acceptable interaction?

I'm fine with either Blood Money being restorable by Greater Restoration, or only by some higher spell like Wish.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

It would cost you 5 (4+1) additional mana to do so, but it could be done. I think that's ok.

Blood Money gives too much for too little cost though, in retrospect. Could you open an issue?

3. - Top - End - #903
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey Mark,

I haven't seen anything going on on the website for some weeks now and I wanted to ask if you have anything planned ahead, or if you re taking a break from the project or something.

I am about to start a new campaign next month and I wanted to know if you had any changes planned, to make sure we don't start before significant changes take place.
    Or, what parts of your rules you think needs some work right now?

And one last question, if reworking subclasses features to theme Feats worked or as you wanted. To my surprise, this was by a significant margin, the least favourite change in my table, with a lot of complains (my group updates the rules whenever there is a new Patch coming up, even if the changes are drastic) and I am not sure why.
    Dunno if others tried it like that and had different and more positive experience with their players?

Ps: is here the appropriate place for such questions? Or is there an appropriate place on the website? Not for suggestions, but for questions and conversations.
    Last edited by tyresias11; 2019-10-26 at 03:18 AM.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently playing WoW classic which is why you haven't seen as much. The project will progress at some point, but WoW is a jealous game. :D

I don't have any changes planned other than what you see on the issue tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by tyresias11 View Post
    if reworking subclasses features to theme Feats worked or as you wanted. To my surprise, this was by a significant margin, the least favourite change in my table
    I think this is one of the best changes I've made. It trades a very restricted, prescriptive, and limited system for one that is more open-ended toward characters. Not all characters of one "subclass" manifest in the exact same way. A subclass that focuses on Beasts, for example, could appear in many different ways and this system allows for that.

Ps: is here the appropriate place for such questions? Or is there an appropriate place on the website? Not for suggestions, but for questions and conversations.
    This is a good place for conversation.

5. - Top - End - #905

And one last question, if reworking subclasses features to theme Feats worked or as you wanted. To my surprise, this was by a significant margin, the least favourite change in my table, with a lot of complains (my group updates the rules whenever there is a new Patch coming up, even if the changes are drastic) and I am not sure why.
    Dunno if others tried it like that and had different and more positive experience with their players?
    I have faced some resistance as well, mostly because my players lost a feat when the update happened. But after I explained the reasons for the change and what could be achieved with it, they accepted it nicely.

Speaking for myself, I like the change as well. It allows a great variety of subclasses to be built, instead of having many presets of subclasses. For instance, I play in a standard 5e table and had to build my own subclass, since none of the official ones's theme appealed to me. Kyrx's system allows you to build your own subclass from what you consider good or what your character would do. So yeah, I pretty much like it.

===

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    I'm currently playing WoW classic which is why you haven't seen as much. The project will progress at some point, but WoW is a jealous game. :D
    And here was I, thinking you were too busy with work xD
    I say that, but have your time!

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

If an Infiltrator Rogue takes the Inquisitive subclass and gains the Divination theme, does it mean they can only learn feats from it? Since they don't get energy or spells. I do like that some themes have both maneuvers and spells.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    And here was I, thinking you were too busy with work xD
    Work is crazy busy and I'm going to have twins next year so things in life are busy as well. :P

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    If an Infiltrator Rogue takes the Inquisitive subclass and gains the Divination theme, does it mean they can only learn feats from it? Since they don't get energy or spells. I do like that some themes have both maneuvers and spells.
    I think your broader question is: "Can a non-casting class take spells from a theme?" and the answer is definitely not unless they take a feat.
    Last edited by Kryx; 2019-10-28 at 11:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #908

Quote Originally Posted by Kryx View Post
    Work is crazy busy and I'm going to have twins next year so things in life are busy as well. :P
    Twins?! Well, I'll have to take a moment and derail this conversation to congratulate you and your... wife? Congratulations to you both!

9. - Top - End - #909
    Pixie in the Playground

Congratulations on the twins :D

There is some minor additions I want to make for my table, like add more options for the Channel Divinity equivalent of the Naturalist and some others classes, some new spells I find from various sources that I really like and use comparative spells of similar effect and value and adjust them accordingly (I don't expect balance to be 100% accurate but I am fine with that), as well as expanding some feat options for certain themes that feel a little bare bones right now.

My question is... is this possible somehow? I suck with computers and I am not sure what would someone be able to do in this situation. Should I just make an extra file on my computer with certain additions and ask my players to visit both sources? Is there a way to copy Kryx's stuff and add my own in a separated file on my computer, or google drive or something like this? I am not even sure I make any sense here nor if what I am asking is illegal or if it's infringing on some rights (I ll assume it does), so please inform me. My intend is to make it easy for my players to check and browse their options having them side by side. Would just copying entire spell lists in a different file and then add my own stuff that I want, the way to go?

10. - Top - End - #910

There is some minor additions I want to make for my table, like add more options for the Channel Divinity equivalent of the Naturalist and some others classes, some new spells I find from various sources that I really like and use comparative spells of similar effect and value and adjust them accordingly (I don't expect balance to be 100% accurate but I am fine with that), as well as expanding some feat options for certain themes that feel a little bare bones right now.
    You can suggest all this on the issue tracker. A while ago, we were discussing more druid features there, so new Primal Call suggestions would be appreciated I think. There is also a discussion on adding Feats for some less feated themes.

About adding your own stuff, it's not possible to duplicate the website and make your own changes to it. You can write your additional rules somewhere else (google drive or gmbinder, for instance) and have the players consult them on top of Kryx's rules, which it's not something monstrous to do. It's like using homebrew spells or feats and asking your players to consult both the PHB and these new options.