A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1105 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    You're saying I made no death threats to people here? Awww, that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!

1- No, but then the fault is transferred to those that are denying your rights, at least for murders (or other acts) meant to stop said oppression.
    2- Not anyone, but deserve has precious little to do with it in this case.
    3- We cannot know for sure. While she did leave, that might have been after other more desirable options (that left her in a better position) were exhausted.
    4- He's collateral damage. His death should be taken up with the clans, who should either raise him at their own cost plus make reparations, or, were that not possible, make MORE reparations or be punished as a group.
    5- It's less about greater good than about rights. If someone has a right so something, they are entitled to that right and that's final, as is the case with Hilgya's freedom. It's much less about greater good than about mitigating circumstances and transfer of responsibility.

And for you to think your post comes even close to qualifying as a personal attack... Don't tell me: are you an Exalted (BoED) character? :P
    So if i am understanding this properly than these are your claims

1) It is okay to disregard on the rights of other people if they are disregarding yours as it is then their fault for your action’s.
    2) Not everyone who stands in the way of someone’s rights deserve to die but regardless they should be killed if it results in the regaining of those rights
    3) We cannot prove for sure that Hilgya tried no other methods before attempting to kill Ivan
    4) Ivan did not quite deserve to be killed but doing so would result in the desired change so it was acceptable. His death is the clan’s fault anyway, not Hilgya’s
    5) Greater good has little significance in the matter. If someone has the intention of restoring their rights than their actions are automatically morally right.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted anything.

So then, let me ask a follow up question. If we had definitive proof that Hilgya did not try other methods before attempting to kill Ivan, than would she still be “non-evil” as you put it.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #692
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I will not explain the joke.
    meh :(

sch
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

3. - Top - End - #693
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

o/ Stupid person with stupid question: Is it possible that the baby is her new holy symbol?
    Proud member of the DnD Illiterates.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shennynerd View Post
    o/ Stupid person with stupid question: Is it possible that the baby is her new holy symbol?
    That... Has been brought up.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    So if i am understanding this properly than these are your claims

1) It is okay to disregard on the rights of other people if they are disregarding yours as it is then their fault for your action’s.
    2) Not everyone who stands in the way of someone’s rights deserve to die but regardless they should be killed if it results in the regaining of those rights
    3) We cannot prove for sure that Hilgya tried no other methods before attempting to kill Ivan
    4) Ivan did not quite deserve to be killed but doing so would result in the desired change so it was acceptable. His death is the clan’s fault anyway, not Hilgya’s
    5) Greater good has little significance in the matter. If someone has the intention of restoring their rights than their actions are automatically morally right.

Please correct me if I misinterpreted anything.

So then, let me ask a follow up question. If we had definitive proof that Hilgya did not try other methods before attempting to kill Ivan, than would she still be “non-evil” as you put it.
    Correct, correct, correct, correct, correct.

And... No, the actions would be Evil provided the results were the same (or, in short, provided there was not another right to be regained by killing Ivan, as in, she'd kill him and self-exile anyways, for instance) and provided her actions couldn't be explained by emotional duress (which I'm NOT, for the record, arguing they could).
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2017-11-14 at 05:10 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Suspicious of what that they don't already know well, exactly?

I have a horrifying vestige of a suspicion. Haley...do you think Belkar might be evil?
    I don't know. I am as puzzled about it as you are but he lied about it in 1104 so clearly he is trying to hide something.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if the paladins didn't want Redcloak to, down the line, destroy Azure City, why did they destroy his village?
    What. I can't... You mean that if someone wronged you in the past you are allowed to attack anyone they are affiliated with. That's appalling. That's a return to pre-judaic customs every society near the Mediterranean Sea and their descendants has been moving away from for millenia.

You are saying that people are not to be held responsile for their crimes but the people who wronged them in the past are ? But then wouldn't the people who wronged them be responsible for their acts ? And the people who wrong those one in turn ? Where does it end ? By that logic no one is ever reponsible for anything! By that logic every single nation on Earth could decide to nuke every other one because they were "oppressed" by them in the past!

I'm stating that it doesn't matter whether or not she had a choice.
    HOW COULD IT POSSIBLY NOT MATTER! We are talking about morality! Morality is nothing but choices.

You are either a troll or someone who actually preaches for violence and murder everywhere. Either way I strongly recommend you spend some time looking in the mirror thinking about what you are doing with your life.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    HOW COULD IT POSSIBLY NOT MATTER! We are talking about morality! Morality is nothing but choices.
    Can I sig this?
    EDIT: Also this:
    What. I can't... You mean that if someone wronged you in the past you are allowed to attack anyone they are affiliated with. That's appalling. That's a return to pre-judaic customs every society near the Mediterranean Sea and their descendants has been moving away from for millenia.

You are saying that people are not to be held responsile for their crimes but the people who wronged them in the past are ? But then wouldn't the people who wronged them be responsible for their acts ? And the people who wrong those one in turn ? Where does it end ? By that logic no one is ever reponsible for anything! By that logic every single nation on Earth could decide to nuke every other one because they were "oppressed" by them in the past!
    Last edited by sillymel; 2017-11-14 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Added additional quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    They're actually wagering G P's from monster-san's scrabble stash.
    See what I quoted here: Quotes from Fyraltari
    Also this post from Fyraltari.
    See this post from Mortsdeer.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I don't know. I am as puzzled about it as you are but he lied about it in 1104 so clearly he is trying to hide something.
    My initial reaction was that he wanted to hide it in front of Minra
    My second was, that ... well ... he might be ashamed ???

Will you allow me to nuke those who might possibly wrong me in the distant future, too ?
    The approach is nihilistic, the stance is one of complete amorality.
    Cavemen with clubs might form a society around that notion (and not progress in their cultural developement)
    more complex social structures cant form.

You are either a troll or someone who actually preaches for violence and murder everywhere. Either way I strongly recommend you spend some time looking in the mirror thinking about what you are doing with your life.
    you mean apart from wasting our time? :)

Everyone has a choice in his life.
    Hylgias was to turn around and go; Durkons was to remain dutiful and do has his high priest suggested and mine is to keep posting :P

apart from that it is the amorality of the argument which frightens me. with the_weirdo's argumentation I would be free to murder anyone I like as long as my excuse is good enough

"The weather was bad, Thor opressed me. Your blood is on his hands"

On the bright side it wouldnt take long for that society to dwindle into the obscurity of time

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-11-14 at 05:27 PM.
    Do NOT argue with idiots - they drag you on their level and beat you with experience

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

What I'm saying is there would be no Redcloak had the Azure City paladins not committed the atrocities they committed.

Azure City created its own villain and we certainly cannot in good faith expect Redcloak to simply lie down and take what was done to him back then; only a saint would. Neither could the Paladins, especially when they live in a world where narrative causality applies, one where, for all genocides, there will always be one who gets away and brings the chickens home to roost years later.

Well, Azure City met Redcloak, the one who got away.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2017-11-14 at 05:29 PM.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sillymel View Post
    Can I sig this?
    Yes, you can. I'm so proud.

Also I got carried away and forgot one thing :

What about the good we do ? Do you think we deserve praise for it or are those who did good by us in the past to have all of it ?

Is Roy a good man for being willing to face death for the liberty of other or is his mother the only one to thank fo that ?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-11-14 at 05:31 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #701
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

What I'm saying is there would be no Redcloak had the Azure City paladins not committed the atrocities they committed.

Azure City created its own villain and we certainly cannot in good faith expect Redcloak to simply lie down and take what was done to him. Neither could the Paladins, especially when they live in a world where narrative causality applies, one where, for all genocides, there will always be one who gets away and brings the chickens home to roost years later.

Thats true. 100%. It's Ironic. Isnt it?

The dark one probably wronged the Paladins at some point, so the Goblins blood is clearly on his hands.

sch

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunzel View Post
    Thats true. 100%. It's Ironic. Isnt it?

The dark one probably wronged the Paladins at some point, so the Goblins blood is clearly on his hands.

sch
    Now, now. What we see in the comic is only that goblins were set up as XP fodder and made into victims of genocide by the Azurites, innit?

13. - Top - End - #703
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Azure City created its own villain and we certainly cannot in good faith expect Redcloak to simply lie down and take what was done to him back then; only a saint would. Neither could the Paladins, especially when they live in a world where narrative causality applies, one where, for all genocides, there will always be one who gets away and brings the chickens home to roost years later.

By your logic, the paladins aren't responsible for the butchering, because they only did it to kill the bearer of the crimson mantle who threatened their right to exist. So the paladins are absolutely not responsible for anything they did. It's all the gods' fault and no one else is responsible for anything.

EDIT: Ninja'd

EDIT 2:
    Is Roy a good man for being willing to face death for the liberty of other or is his mother the only one to thank fo that ?
    It's obviously Eugene. Duh.
    Last edited by SilverCacaobean; 2017-11-14 at 05:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCacaobean View Post
    By your logic, the paladins aren't responsible for the butchering, because they only did it to kill the bearer of the crimson mantle who threatened their right to exist. So the paladins are absolutely not responsible for anything they did. It's all the gods' fault and no one else is responsible for anything.

your welcome :)

sch
    Last edited by schmunzel; 2017-11-14 at 05:42 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I do think there is a (winning) argument to be made in favor of both sides taking it up with the gods once this whole deal is over, most of all the goblins, who suffered way more.

16. - Top - End - #706

MindFlayer

What about the good we do ? Do you think we deserve praise for it or are those who did good by us in the past to have all of it ?

Gonna sig this as well.
    EDIT: Well, apparently I don't have enough room in my signature for all that.
    Last edited by sillymel; 2017-11-14 at 05:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

EDIT 2:

It's obviously Eugene. Duh.
    it's obviously Xykon, because without him that stupid blood oath wouldnt exist in the first place.
    He just wants to do good. Cant you see it? It's Roy who forces him to do all these bad things.
    Hadnt Roy formed the party and Elan destroyed the castle Azure City wouldnt have been attacked.
    In the end it's probably mostly Durkons fault because he held the party together, healed them and thus enabled them to enable Xykons atrocities.

Miko was right all along...

sch

18. - Top - End - #708

PirateCaptain

Well, I do think there is a (winning) argument to be made in favor of both sides taking it up with the gods once this whole deal is over, most of all the goblins, who suffered way more.
    Yeah, but all this "murdering each other" for the sake of convenience, instead of "only attacking the actual oppressors", is getting in the way of that...

19. - Top - End - #709
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Oh, I'm not claiming it requires, I'm claiming it permits.

Common mistake.
    Uh ...

If you have two choices, one of which includes murdering an innocent, and the other which doesn't, you must choose the one that doesn't involve murder. So if her situation does not require killing the innocent, it requires NOT killing the innocent. There's no "permits" about it.

It's a pretty depraved view of the world to argue that if you feel badly enough about your situation you can start killing people, even if killing isn't necessary to alter your situation.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #710

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    She's evil, she supposedly has a better knowledge (religion) score then Durkon, and she just walked in on a room full of vampires. I'm saying she's up to date on events.
    Most consensus is she is Chaotic Neutral (and likely so is Loki), but there are good odds on your other two points being accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by a1chemi View Post
    Given that Durkon announced himself as a vampire High Priestof Hell in a room full of clerics, including Loki's High Priest, and Sending is a cleric spell, I'd say she knows.
    We also know she receives direct orders from Loki, so Loki may have told her himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    That's odd. I would have thought clerics would surely use protection.
    Neither Helgya nor Durkon had 'Protection from Impregnation' prepared, plus it is possible Helgya actually had 'Greater Improved Fertility' cast, since she had feelings for Durkon.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    dangit! i was going to do that!

suppose i should add: are we sure thats Durkon's kid? it seems to be pretty dark-skinned, and i don't remember Durkon being that dark.
    Wait, so you think the baby is Leeky Windstaff's? Both Reverse Durkon's got it on? So the baby is a Gnorf?

What are common Gnorf names?

I remember in 2nd/Advanced D&D, Gnome names were at least 20+ Syllables long, anything less than 30 was short (the equivalent Bob or Al)... so, how about Helgyafirehelmanddurkonthundershieldorleekywindsta ffshappylittleaccidentorperhapsintentionallittleme mentooftheirmanyescapades Firehelm(that should be long enough)
    Last edited by Shoelessgdowar; 2017-11-14 at 06:05 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Troll in the Playground

Did someone point a crossbow (or, more realistically, a gun) at you to get you to sign the contract?
    Even if someone did, that doesn't mean the person forced into the contract gets to murder their coworkers. Their beef is with the guy with the weapon, not the *******s they've been forced to work with.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

I did not read SoD, but I have heard about a brother in a village at peace and about him being in a circus audience with humans. You know what those sounds like to me ? A chance. A chance to do what was just and good and let go of the pain. This is not what a saint would have done, this what a good man would have done.

Wanna know what a saint would have done ? A saint would have walked right to gates of Azure City in full regalia and say :

People of Azure City, I, the bearer of the Crimson Mantle, high priest of the Dark One, come to you unarmed and alone to demand justice for my people. Not for my family that you have slaughtered, not for my mentor that you have murdered, not for the untold numbers that you and your ancestors have butchered but for those who still live and will one day live. Neither I nor any goblin that follow me seek to do you harm for all we want is to live free of fear and of the yoke of another under the sun that warms us all. For generations our peoples have killed each other and though today you stand mighty and glorious while we hide in caverns cold there could come a day where our roles would be reversed. But should that day come or should it not, whoever holds the whip, there is only one truth : as long as there is a hand to hold that whip both of our people will gain nothing but pain from it. Why not dream of another, better day to come ? One where goblin and man regard the other not as a sworn foe but as a brother of different blood ? Why not build that day ? I am not blind, I know that many amongst your kin and more amongst mine call me a naive fool and belive that peace can never be achieved. I know that the path that I would have our people tread is a hard one, but you must know as do I that doing what is right regardless of the obstacles, of the risks, of the difficulty is the very essence of Good. People of Azure City, I hold my hand out to you, you have to choose now : kill me, burn my corpse and scatter my ashes and the cycle of suffering shall endure or reach out and take my hand so that we can walk the path of peace as equals, nay as brothers. People of Azure City, what say you ?

But that is not what Redcloak did, that is not what Redcloak would ever do beacause Redcloak is not a saint.

In the real world ? Saints exist, people better that I ever hope to be have taken the hand that struck them in peace and friendship. Were they perfect ? No, no one is. But they had that rarest courage of all, to forgive.

Please dwell on that.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2017-11-14 at 06:38 PM. Reason: damn sleep-deprivation induced typos
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #713
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

That... Has been brought up.
    Cool. Super helpful. Anyone care to pause their argument about the morals of fictional characters long enough to give me a quick tl;dr?
    Proud member of the DnD Illiterates.

24. - Top - End - #714

Cool. Super helpful. Anyone care to pause their argument about the morals of fictional characters long enough to give me a quick tl;dr?
    My understanding--which might be flawed--is that while it is technically possible (in the sense that I don't think the rules explicitly forbid a sentient being, such as a baby, from being used as a holy symbol), it is HIGHLY unlikely for both practical and narrative reasons.

A quick Google search of 3.5e rules on Holy Symbols gave me this:

Quote Originally Posted by 3.5e Definition of a Holy Symbol (according to my Google search)
    Holy Symbol, Silver or Wooden

A holy symbol focuses positive energy. A cleric or paladin uses it as the focus for his spells and as a tool for turning undead. Each religion has its own holy symbol.
    Last edited by The Aboleth; 2017-11-14 at 06:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not entirely impossible* but rather unlikely.
    So, until the comic says otherwise it's safe to assume the answer's nope.

*In the same sense as it isn't entirely impossible you're hit by a meteor the moment you finish reading this.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #716

MindFlayer

I did not read SoD, but I have heard about a brother in a village at peace and about him being in a circus audience with humans. You know what those sounds like to me ? A chance. A chance to do what was just and good and let go of the pain. This is not what a saint would have done, this what a good man would have done.

Wanna know what a saint would have done ? A saint would have walked right to gates of Azure City in full regalia and say :

People of Azure City, I, the bearer of the Crimson Mantle, high priest of the Dark One, come to you unarmed and alone to demad justice for my people. Not for my family that you have slaughtered, not for my mentor that you have murdered, not for the untold numbers that you and your ancestors have butchered but for those who still live and will one day live. Neither I nor any goblin that follow me seek do you harm for all we want is to live free of fear and of the yoke of another under the sun that warms us all. For generations our peoples have killed each other and though todday you stand mighty and glorious while we hide in caven there could come a day where our roles would be reversed. But should that day come or should it not, whoever holds the whip there is onluy one truth : as long as there is a hand to hold that whip both of our people will gain nothing but pain from it. Why not dream of another, better day to come ? One where goblin and man regard the other not as a sworn foe but as a brother of diferent blood ? Why not build that day ? I am not blind, I know that many among your kin and more among mine call me a naive fool and belive that peace can never be achieved. I know that the path that I would have our people thread is a hard one, but you must know as do I that doing what is right regardless of the obstacles, of the risks, of the difficulty is the very essence of Good. People of Azure City, I hold my hand out to you, you have to choose now : kill me, burn my corpse and scatter my ashes and the cycle of suffering shall endure or reach out and take my hand so that we can walk the path of peace as equals, nay as brothers. People of Azure City, what say you ?

But that is not what Redcloak did, that is not what Redcloak would ever do beacause Redcloak is not a saint.

In the real world ? Saints exist, people better that I ever hope to be have taken the hand that struck them in peace and friendship. Were they perfect ? No, no one is. But that rarest courage of all, to forgive.

Please dwell on that.
    Beautiful. Now where's that smilie of someone shedding a tear?

27. - Top - End - #717
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Have to admit: Did not see that coming. I'm referring to the baby of course.

I just hope this has more dignity than Z.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed. Hilgya chose to do evil (poison Ivan) before running away. We have no indication she tried to find any other solution to her problem...

Then would the path of least effort, even for an Evil character, not be simply leaving? Because Hilgya isn't stupid.

But, for the sake of the argument, you can assume I conceded that one point.
    ...and "This Evil character obviously wouldn't have taken an Evil route if a more expedient one existed" is an assumption that I don't see any basis for.

Fair enough. In that scenario, I fold.

I do apologize for any (even hypothetical) hurt feelings here.
    I don't think anyone's feelings are hurt. They just don't believe murder of innocents is justified when non-murderous methods can solve the problem.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Titan in the Playground

Can I sig this?
    Gonna sig this as well.
    EDIT: Well, apparently I don't have enough room in my signature for all that.
    Beautiful. Now where's that smilie of someone shedding a tear?
    Thank you, kind stranger, you approval means much to me.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #720

MindFlayer

Thank you, kind stranger, you approval means much to me.
    You’re welcome! :)