New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Homebrew Tome of Battle feat

New* Tome of Battle feat: (see Note here)
    Blade Kata
    You have learned to mix your martial training with your weapon of choice.
    Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any manufactured melee weapon), Know one martial adept stance
    Benefit: Choose a weapon for which you have the Weapon Focus feat and a martial discipline you know a stance for; you may use that weapon as though it were an associated weapon for that discipline. You may select this feat more than once, each time applies to a new weapon or martial discipline.
    Select any maneuver for which you meet the prerequisite from a discipline that has that weapon as an associated weapon (including the one you just added it to). If you have martial adept levels, this maneuver becomes one of your maneuvers known even if it is from a discipline not normally available to your class. If you do not have martial adept levels, you can use this maneuver once per encounter as a martial adept with an initiator level equal to 1/2 your character level.
    Once you choose a maneuver with this feat, you cannot change it, nor can you learn a different maneuver in exchange for it as part of gaining a new level as a crusader, swordsage, or warblade.

What do you think? Is basing it off stances to restricting? I also considered requiring two maneuvers of the same discipline instead. Please PEACH.
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-11-18 at 10:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Tome of Battle feat

Quote Originally Posted by Ranged Ranger View Post
    New* Tome of Battle feat: (see Note here)
    Blade Kata
    You have learned to mix your flurry of blows with your weapon of choice.
    Prerequisites: Weapon Focus (any manufactured melee weapon), Know one martial adept stance
    Benefit: Choose a weapon for which you have the Weapon Focus feat and a martial discipline you know a stance for; you may use that weapon as though it were an associated weapon for that discipline. You may select this feat more than once, each time applies to a new weapon or martial discipline.

What do you think? Is basing it off stances to restricting? I also considered requiring two maneuvers of the same discipline instead. Please PEACH.

So, it's about flurry of blows... But doesn't actually affect flurry of blows in any way. I guess I do not understand how flurry of blows factors into making any weapon a discipline weapon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ngilop View Post
    So, it's about flurry of blows... But doesn't actually affect flurry of blows in any way. I guess I do not understand how flurry of blows factors into making any weapon a discipline weapon.
    Not supposed to be about flurry of blows... I missed changing the flavor text from the feat I was basing it on... (fixed) The purpose of this feat is to allow you to benefit from stances/maneuvers that are normally tied to using weapons of a specific discipline - like Shadow Blade for example...
    Last edited by Ranged Ranger; 2017-11-17 at 02:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It isn't really worth a feat. There are few situations where it comes up, and in those that it does, it acts as a feat tax- in almost every case, I would rather just use a discipline weapon to avoid the tax. I'd suggest adding some further benefit, making the feat useful in itself.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added in that it gives you an extra maneuver known with different restrictions than Martial Study used. What do you think?