A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Numenera: Burrowers Below IC

Numenera: Burrowers Below!

Through dreams and nightmares best not remembered you've all found your way into Weavercrest, a settlement surrounding an elaborate synth spire. You have a vague recollection of the path you took but the vivid nightmares of screaming and shouting leave you with one imprinted name, Yerk. This names holds no meaning to you yet, but possibly the fine people of Weavercrest might know? They seem rather backwards and rustic, viewing numenera as gift from their bloated spider god and the priesthood of this god hoard these relics jealously. The outlying fields of Weavercrest are farmlands, those working it use livestock to work it as well as raising insect as friends, food, and labor.

As you enter Weavercrest many people wave and cry out joyfully, some pointing to the large synth spire and others to a small group of brown robed men creeping slowly to greet you all individually. “Hello newcomer! Welcome to Weavercrest, our humble home!” These men all looks similar, shaved heads and pale skin with green eyes. They're roughly 5'7” and wear a charm that resembles a spider spinning silk to the sky above. One among them produces a scroll and unfurls it revealing a map of the settlement. “Please enjoy your stay! Do not travel by night though, the Burrowers breach occasionally to bathe in moonlight.” With that the group smiles and moves as one back into the city.

The map indicates several notable places
    -Chapel of the Weaver: present in the inner city behind a earthen wall. If you seek religious guidance they offer to help those in need. If you seek to relinquish artifacts and cyphers they pay handsomely.
    -Bazaar: Open air market of merchants selling their wares ranging from tools, weapons,foods, and live creatures.
    -Forbidden Zone: An area marked on the map outside the settlement, the terrain looks like hills.
    -The Holy Spire: The central spire of synth at the settlements center.
    -The Fire Moth Inn: A popular Inn in the settlement, they handle foreigner affairs and have the best food in the city! Warmest beds! And the loveliest ladies and gents!

You may decide what to do from here, it is mid day and the settlement is bustling. Each of you receives a map of Weavercrest

2. - Top - End - #2

BardGirl

Default Re: Numenera: Burrowers Below IC

Grimoire smiles at the thought of a bath and some warm food after the long journey. She heads toward the Fire Moth Inn in the hopes of freshening up.

3. - Top - End - #3

Othvard gives the spider-god's clergy a discerning look, hidden of course by his goggles and wrappings. Though not particularly faithful, Othvard was raised in the Order of Truth, and can't help but see Weavercrest's religion as ignorant and backward.

He examines the map, and the highlights upon it. The Forbidden Zone immediately piques his interest, as the most likely spot to contain fascinating numenera. But then, there was an interesting piece of that close at hand; the so-called Holy Spire.

Othvard relays his intentions to his travelling companions, and heads off to the middle of town to inspect the spire.
    Games I Run

Characters
    Othvard Noutheim, Perceptive Seeker Who Delved Too Deep (Burrowers Below)IC|OOC

4. - Top - End - #4

BardGirl

Grimoire nods as she walks, "I'll meet you there!" she shouts over her shoulder, "Nothing is going to stand between me and a bath! I've got dirt caked on my dirt..."
    Last edited by apheline; 2017-11-20 at 02:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sela looks around the settlement with interest, even hidden beneath her mask it's easy to see that's what she's doing.
    A little overwhelmed she keeps quiet and stays close to Othvard.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mahlia ibn Malakim
    Swift Glaive who Fuses Flesh & Steel
    Experience: 2 of 2.

Mahlia had first come across her companions as they traveled through Margr territory, unwittingly Sher, Othvard, Grimoire & Rachanaia had stumbled across a Qotho hunting party. She knew that the Qotho tribe was conducting one of their profane blood rites, and had been even more territorial as of late, so when the party of travelers stumbled through the Qotho hunting grounds, a large party of blood thirsty Margr began to stalk them. The ensuing conflict was brief, but bloody, as Mahlia descended upon them, while Grimoire & Rachnia attack. Grimoire fought with elegance and grace, whereas Rachnia seemed able to command small biting techno-insects to flay the flesh from their attackers, as Mahlia jumped to their defense, spear and shield in hand, Othvard used his crossbow with deadly accuracy, as Sher spotted for his attacker, able to perceive the cunning Margr hunters.

In the aftermath of that battle, Mahlia herself, had sustained damage to her implants, and while she thought the other's slept, she repaired the damage, however, Rachanaia's almost luminescent green eyes were able to see her in the dim light, watching as she repaired her implants. Mahlia had not yet approached the wrapped young woman about what she had seen, but she did join the group as they made their way to Weavercrest. After being greeted by the Elders of the community, Othvard made his way towards the synth-spire at the center of the community, followed by Rachanaia, whereas Grimoire continued towards the Inn. Given the knowledge of her own youth, and the community that surrounded the base of Vazzo's Stronghold, she thought that by paying tribute she could perhaps determine why her dreams had led her to this place, and why the name Yerk echoed through her thoughts, sending shivers up her synthetic nerves.

She nodded towards the others, even as she watched Othvard and Rachanaia depart for the spire. "The Inn then, I shall meet you there," she paused, pulling her cloak tighter around her body. "after I pay my respects at the spiritual center of this community." She turned towards the Chapel, intent on trading cypher for knowledge.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2017-11-22 at 08:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

EvilClericGuy

Holyspire

Those approaching the Holyspire find the path leading through a small bazaar not on the map, merchants hocking talismans and blessing from the Chapel of Weavercrest. Many of which wear a similar robe and charm as those who approached you all in the first place. Some stands selling small assortments of as they call them 'Holy Vessels', insects and arachnids that the sellers say are 'Gifts from the Spire!' Some children run through with spiders the size of Seskii laughing gleefully as their pets give chase. The spiders are of unusual color, and occasionally they will stop to 'sniff' people then go about scurrying around. Above this bazaar is a covering of webbing, small spiders skitter through it filling holes in the webbing.

Upon reaching the central spire it is a sight to behold, the only thing to compare it too would be The Beanstalk except the Holyspire has webbing coming from it tethering it to the ground. Small shrines are built around it, some of the acolytes of Weavercrest ride arachnids who crawl across the sheets of webbing removing debris.

Firemoth Inn

Firemoth Inn is quite the sight compared to most of the buildings in the settlement, it stands three stories high and appears to be a mix of mesh and some form of hardened synth. A patio is set up outside, a few people and other things sit outside resting in the daylight eating their meals in peace. The front doors slide open to reveal its interior, a cozy inn populated by wooden furniture and a large bar and several glowing crystals emerging from the floor that resemble fire pits. This is a place of numenera clearly, the walls are covered in weapons and other curious such as skulls, large cases showing pinned insects, and paintings that shift to everyone who views it.

Those who enter find themselves greeted by warm faces and food, the man behind a bar waves to the tables,"Take a seat my friends. A server will be with you soon. Today's soup is of a hearty stock, potatoes, and a protein best described as some sort of plant animal. Rooms are a shin a piece for a few days or one night free on the house to test the waters." Six out of twelve tables have people at them. Three tables have a familiar sight, they resemble what might pass as a city guard and there is seven all together. Three of these tables are pushed together and they are playing a game of cards and dice. The guards occasionally get up and watch the group play before returning to their tables.

Chapel of Weavercrest
    Approaching the Chapel you must pass a the outer ring of the settlement, the people on the outer ring look shabby and rough as they toil in fields and various trades the city require to survive. Once you reach the inner ring passing a large earthen wall you find a different sight. The people here look far more well tended too as they walk with finer clothing made of silks and an assortment of jewelry. Merchants in this circle are hocking finer wares, holy relics that appear to be numenera and the selling of live animals is limited to finer specimens. Beetles covered in jewels across their carapace, centipede like creatures who leave a trail of cleanliness, one vendor is selling Seskiis and the rare translucent specimen among other things.

The Chapel is a jumble of materials but consist of a majority of stained glass. Acolytes stand outside, brown robes and shaved heads preaching of the Holiness of the Weaver Above! They approach people in the street, a majority of them look far better then those in the outer city. Some strange insects crawl across buildings and occasionally fall on people walking by, the acolytes praise these creatures as 'angelic' servants and quickly pull those the creatures fall on into the large chapel.

8. - Top - End - #8

Othvard gives the bazaar-folks a wide berth- he was no arachnophobe, but the sheer numbers and variety of the spiders was a bit boggling. He can only imagine how excited Sela must be.

Arriving at the spire itself, Othvard produces his sketching equipment- sheets of tan paper, a small synth board, and a charcoal stencil- and begins to draw the enormous edifice. He makes a slow circle around the perimeter, taking in every angle, before getting closer. Othvard attempts to learn all he can about the spire, touching it's surface if he can.

(Roll to investigate?)
    Games I Run

Characters

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

actually Zero, I said Rachanaia is following Othvard, just to note.

Racanaia has no fear of spiders, but it seems odd to see them so... tame around the village. She considers examining one closer but instead follows Othvard to the Spire. Is this what called me here? It certainly seems a focus. "The ancients did not often build such structures without some way inside. Even if only crawlways, do you seek entrance?" (assuming we can get close) she runs her fingers across it, feeling for imperfections.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by spinningdice View Post
    "The ancients did not often build such structures without some way inside. Even if only crawlways, do you seek entrance?" (assuming we can get close) she runs her fingers across it, feeling for imperfections.
    Othvard continues to take notes. "I'd love to, but I hadn't dared to hope to make it inside... at least, not today. Often, when an aldea is centered a numenera structure, the locals will display a good deal of protectiveness toward it. I'm surprised that nobody's said anything to us yet...
    Othvard runs a hand over the spire's surface, taking a scraping of its exterior with a small metal pick if he can.
    Games I Run

Characters

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rachanaia glances towards the collective folk of the village with some trepidation. "I do not feel comfortable here, I feel them watching... and yet it still draws me, I only wish I knew it's purpose." She steps back a little and stairs up the spire as far as she can see. The webbing should make it a relatively easy climb surely, though it must be cold up there so high.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Mahlia ibn Malakim

She was unsure of why, but it seemed to Mahlia as she watched the odd spider-like insects descend from the heights of the chapel, that her own implant's move and shifted beneath her skin. She shuddered, and began up the stairs towards the main entrance; her spear, wrested from the dead hands of a Margr raider, as brutal, and unbalanced seemed incongruous on her small, svelte frame, however she kept her shield close, to deflect any of the insects should one attempt to land upon her.

She nodded to the Acolytes, she didn't know the cult's beliefs, but she knew that they held sway over Weavercrest, and so she needed to pay her respect. She pulled the crystal nodule from beneath the folds of her cloak, extended it towards the most prominent of the acolytes. "As a sign of respect to you, and the Weavers," she looked towards the things crawling along the walls, and lowering themselves towards the crowd on invisible webs, "I bring you Cyphers, in exchange for knowledge, insight and clarity." Before the acolyte could grasp the Cypher, it disappeared back beneath her cloak, as she nodded towards the interior of the chapel.

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

Holy Spire

[You can indeed do an investigation roll, target number is 12]

Running one's hands across its surface provides you the impression of mesh upon mesh in many layers. This changes in several spot becoming smooth polished metal that echoes with a low sound that sounds like mumbling when touched. Taking a small sampling of its exterior is possible as the tool scrapes the surface as it shivers giving up a small strike roughly a inch wide and long.

"Please may I help you pilgrims?" A voice calls to you both, the sound of heavy boots hitting flagstone. "I see you have interest in the Holy Spires magnificence!" He is young, possibly sixteen years old and unlike many of the other acolytes you've seen he has messy brown hair and silver eyes with gold flecks. His robe is grey vs. brown like the others and he wears an amulet around his neck that is not of the Weavercrest faith, and a small device floats round his head giving a chirp every few seconds.

Chapel of Weavercrest

The young acolyte reaches out to take the cypher before it is pulled away, "Oh yes! Indeed the masters are happy to absolve you of your sins and enlighten you!" He leads the way into the chapel, the interior similar to the outside. Stain glass everywhere, the assembled people stand around acolytes who preach wisdom and take offerings. Rows of pews line up parallel to a stage and podium where one man pours over a tome reading aloud a prayer. These acolytes seem similar enough, none stand out except one individual whose lower half made audible sounds of machinery as its mechanical arachnid limbs. His face is composed of half implants, some what gruesome but in the theme of the faith. His left half of his face had smooth synth dotted with four optics that whirled and watched its acolytes, a small set of mandibles protrude from his mouth every few breaths and his other eye seems bloodshot.

"Tell me child, what is it you seek?" says this imposing figure as it moves slowly through the crowd as it parts for it to move close. It wears a brown robe and as its arms move the cloth falls back to reveal heavily scarred flesh and synth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Can Rachanaia assist and count as an asset? Or do we just need separate attempts if we're 'helping' each other investigate?

Rachanaia takes in the man, he is different, but human customs still evade her awareness "The Spire is fascinating. Do you know of any lore surrounding it?"
    Last edited by spinningdice; 2017-11-24 at 05:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGirl

Grimoire is noticeably tempted by the idea of playing the dice and card game with the other customers, however, she decides instead that it is more important to clean up. She walks up to the man who appears to be the proprietor of the establishment. "Does a room come with a bath? If so I'd like to check one out for a night. How much will it be?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Mahlia ibn Malakim

Quote Originally Posted by Weavercrest Acolyte View Post
    "Tell me child, what is it you seek?" says this imposing figure as it moves slowly through the crowd as it parts for it to move close. It wears a brown robe and as its arms move the cloth falls back to reveal heavily scarred flesh and synth.
    She nodded at the acolyte who had been fused, much like herself, with synth & cyphers. "You too have been touched by the Weaver," she extended her arm, revealing smooth skin, laced with synth circuitry just beneath the surface, the synthetic alloys and tissue becoming more prominent as it moved up her arm, towards her elbow and shoulder, had she chosen to lower her hood, and lift the hair that concealed it, he would see the impression of where the arachnid-like catalyst had injected his synth-needles into her spine, shaping her into what she was today.

"Tell me true, Acolyte, does the Weaver spin dreams as easily as synth?"

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

HOLYSPIRE

Othvard, running your hands over the surface and collecting the sample gives you a good idea of what these walls are composed of. The smooth sections show some age while the layers of mesh in several areas are damp compared to the rest of the cold exterior. You've seem similar material before but on a larger scale, a arachnid whose form is covered in a metal carapace and spun hardened stands of synthetic steel.

The young man nods, "I know some lore pilgrim, locals say their god vomited them forth into the world from the spire so they may give IT worship. The webbings, they come and go as spiders weave webs up and down to catch the debris that erupts from the top." He points up with an index finger and looks up as the ground rumbles momentarily. "My Instructor knows more than I do though, he speaks to spirits."

Chapel of Weavercrest

The heavily modded man nods, "Indeed my child the Weaver works in mysterious ways in the world of flesh and dreams. May I ask how you came upon this form of being?" Its mechanical legs make a grating sound every once in awhile as it moves to you. He waves the young acolyte away who returns to the door to greet newcomers. "How may I help you seek enlightenment fellow child of change?"

Firemoth Inn

"First night free to test the waters, and yes indeed our little structure has bathing fixtures in all the room. Just say aloud, 'Bathtime' and it'll activate. Its hidden in the room so once you say it, the thing'll spring up." The grizzled barkeep cleans a glass and fills it as a server walks by collecting the platter he placed it upon. "After the first night its a shin for a two days or you can take an odd job round here."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"So it is open at the top, some form of ancient chimney, rather than a habitable tower?" Rachaneia stares up towards the top... Perhaps not an unfeasible climb, but she wouldn't want to do it on a whim. She looks back to Othvard "Should we meet with the others before following strangers?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by spinningdice View Post
    "So it is open at the top, some form of ancient chimney, rather than a habitable tower?" Rachaneia stares up towards the top... Perhaps not an unfeasible climb, but she wouldn't want to do it on a whim. She looks back to Othvard "Should we meet with the others before following strangers?"
    Othvard continues to take notes, and to jot down addendums to his diagram of the spire; 'material fired from the top makes it unsuitable access point, find alternative ingress. Spire product of many many spiders or on massive spider.'

"I would be eager to meet this instructor, if he can tell us more about these... Burrowers, I've been hearing of. Lead on, young man."

(Do I recognize the insignia the young acolyte is wearing?)
    Games I Run

Characters

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Sela follows Othvard despite her protestations.

21. - Top - End - #21

BardGirl

Grimoire quickly cleans up in her room and then heads to the Holyspire to meet up with the others.

22. - Top - End - #22

EvilClericGuy

Holyspire

The young man's amulet is not familiar to you. He nods to the two of you and smiles, "My master lies at Firemoth Inn resting and pondering mysteries the local priesthood wishes to not discuss." He walks over to a bench and lifts a bag and staff and waves to you both, "Please follow me!"

Firemoth Inn

After a quick clean up Grimoire prepares to leave, the shower didnt quite work right but the spray down of soap and water cleaned every inch of their body. Heading down the stairs and passing a few people going up to rooms, one clearly dressed like a rugged aeon priest and an acolyte in similar dress and two couples going to one room together both heavily drunk. Upon reaching the bottom of the stairs in the open bar Sela and Othvard enter being lead by a young gentleman. He leads them to a corner table where a old man sits hunched in a chair snoring heavily as two strange charms chirp and beep floating around the tip of a staff he clings too.

"Master, I have brought pilgrims like us! They seek your wisdom of the Spires origins." The young scholar nudges the old man who twitches and comes to life yawning, his close shaved head having a visible strip of metal with a port and two optic sensors instead of eyes. He stretched and scratches himself. "I'll introduce you, this is my master. He is known as Gael, the Seeker of Secrets! Few things can hide from his many eyes!" The old man waves and drinks from a cold cup sitting on the table.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Rachanaia nods to Grimoire and waves her over.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGirl

Grimoire whispers as she approaches, "Sorry about that, what'd I miss?" but, realising that the old man is talking about something important, quickly turns her attention to him, figuring she'll fill in the gaps later.

25. - Top - End - #25

EvilClericGuy

The old man rubbed his shaved head and looked around, "Ah more pilgrims seeking lore?Let me see." He moves his hands around in the air swiping at invisible things and once swatting heavily at something as he grumbled and cursed in a foul tongue. "The Spire is as old structure, wrought in synth and organic materials. Its purpose unknown but it spews waste product often and the priest thing the refuse is godly treasures." He took a sip from a cup as a free hand swatted at something invisible. "What else would you like to know?"

26. - Top - End - #26

BardGirl

Grimoire asks the old man, "What do they do with the refuse?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Othvard greets Gael the sage with a hand gesture popular among those who study Numenera, holding his hand up and crossing the ring and middle fingers.

"What can you tell us about these Burrowers? They must be fearsome, if they can bother the spider-herders so much."
    Last edited by Django; 2017-12-11 at 11:21 PM.
    Games I Run

Characters

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

Gael smiles and returns the gesture, "Ah a fellow scholar, wonderful! As for the burrowers I have little knowledge, after it rains they tend to come to the surface to absorb the moisture and maybe eat a thing or two. They're giant worms? Thats the best i can describe them as they phase in and out." He begins to shake violently as his apprentice stands idly by pulling out a slate and writing notes down. Gael gasp as he stops and wrings his hands. "Oh dear, I see then. Thank you little one. The refuse is collected and enshrined by the priesthood, they will occasionally try and cobble them to their original form and graft them onto high priest."
    Last edited by Warpwolf16; 2017-12-13 at 11:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Mahlia ibn Malakim

Quote Originally Posted by Weavercrest Acolyte View Post
    The heavily modded man nods, "Indeed my child the Weaver works in mysterious ways in the world of flesh and dreams. May I ask how you came upon this form of being?"
    Mahlia nodded, it was a subtle movement, she felt a connection to this Acolyte, despite the unease she felt looking upon his arachnid-like modifications. "It was a year ago, perhaps longer, but not much. I was indentured to a scholar, a warlord, one who sought to unlock the mysteries of the 9th world. He possessed a relic which was able to strip a person of what makes them ... them. Leaving only a husk." She shuddered, as some of those husks were her friends, children whom she had grown up with, servants who sheltered her when she first arrived at the stronghold. "I sought to escape such a fate, and stumbled upon a relic which by all accounts would preserve my sense of self, in face of the Overlord's artifact."

She took a deep breath, continued, "There was a change, a chrysalis, as the relic infused my body with synth and steel. I am faster now that I ever was, stronger, and yet a word echoed through my thoughts, through my dreams, driving me towards your Chapel." She paused again, drew a breath, "Tell me Acolyte, do you know what that single, powerful, word could be?"
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2017-12-22 at 09:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

"Phasing Worms? do they leave tunnels with their burrowing, or does the earth collapse in their wake?"