Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dragontouched [Race]

Dragontouched

Marcus Steele, a silver dragontouched

Dragons, like outsiders of all typed are very magical creatures, so their descendants can be tracked through many other races. Sometimes their blood is completely deluded in the blood of the 'lesser' races, but sometimes the dragons blood stands out and dominated. Dragontouched are humanoid races with overpowering dragon blood flowing within them.
    Usually, dragontouched show slight signs of their heritage, such as scales, horns, sharp teeth and massive figures. But many of them show very obvious signs of draconic heritage, such as long tails, bodies covered in scales and even vestigial wings. More often than not, a dragontouched is an outcast in it's society but due to their natural charisma some become leaders of their communities if not simply outstanding citizens.
    Good dragontouched often wander the world doing good in whatever way they see fit or how their law says it best. Evil dragontouched tend to enjoy demeaning or destroying to gain treasure for themselves. Nuetral dragontouched are very rare, but still exist and often wander along the path of life simply trying to be content.
    Like their dragon ancestors, dragontouched have a taste for treasure hoards and often keep their own. Some dragontouched even dine on it now and then if they think they can afford their fill. Good dragontouched tend to gain their hoard through claims to it found in dungeons and evil dragons tend to steal and kill for theirs. It's needless to say, an adventuring dragontouched with a portable hole of treasure is often the happiest.

Sample Dragontouched
    Dragontouched Warrior 1
    Medium Dragon
    Soon to come!

Dragontouched as Characters
    • +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Dex. Dragontouched are tough, sociable and intimidating though not as dextrous as their humanoid cousins.
    • Dragon Type: Dragontouched have the dragon type.
    • Medium Size
    • Darkvision: Dragontouched can see in the dark out to 60 feet.
    • Low-light vision: Dragontouched can see twice as far as humans in dim lights, such as torches and starlight.
    • Racial Skill: Dragontouched have a +2 bonus on three specific skills depending on their draconic ancestor.

Black: Hide, Move Silently, Swim
    Blue: Bluff, Hide, Spellcraft
    Brass: Bluff, Gather Information, Survival
    Bronze: Disguise, Swim, Survival
    Copper: Bluff, Hide, Jump
    Gold: Disguise, Heal, Swim
    Green: Bluff, Hide, Move Silently
    Red: Appraise, Bluff, Jump
    Silver: Bluff, Disguise, Jump
    White: Hide, Move Silently, Swim
    • Special Attacks: Breath Weapon (Su): Each type of dragontouched has their own type of breath weapon usable once per day as a standard action which deals 1d6 points of damage plus 1d6 for every 3 levels beyond first. Creatures caught in the line may make a Reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Con modifier) for half damage. Dragontouched qualify for the Dragon Breath feat as though they were half dragons.

Black: 30 ft. line of acid
    Blue: 30 ft. line of lightning
    Brass: 30 ft. line of fire
    Bronze: 30 ft. line of lightning
    Copper: 30 ft. line of acid
    Gold: 15 ft. cone of fire
    Green: 15 ft. cone of corrosive gas(acid)
    Red: 15 ft. cone of fire
    Silver: 15 ft. cone of cold
    White: 15 ft. cone of cold
    • Special Qualities: Energy Resistance: Each dragontouched type has resistance 10 to the same energy type dealt by their breath weapon.
    • Feats: Dragontouched gain Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat, even if they don't qualify for it. The type of benefits gained from the feat are based on the draconic ancestor chosen at 1st level.
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic. Bonues Languages: Any(except for secret languages, such as Druidic).
    • Favored Class: Sorcerer
    • Level Adjustment: +1
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-01-05 at 12:07 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dragontouched [Race]

Can I say awesome strongly enough?

I like it and I can see how sorcery fits in, but do the wings have to be vestigial?
    offical catalogger of all the reasons why single word spells should not take more than one page for the fanclub

"and now for something totaly different"
    "go grace!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman42666 View Post
    Can I say awesome strongly enough?

I like it and I can see how sorcery fits in, but do the wings have to be vestigial?
    Flight would probably boost the LA up too much for what I was going for.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

[joke] "Whats so special about being dragontouched? Every time I go into the Brass Dorms, I get dragontouched" Miallee, unaware that "dragontouched" has another meaning [/joke]
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wings with a fly speed of 30 ft, poor or clumsy manueverability (like that of a larger dragon), would give it an extra +1 LA, but contribute nicely to flavor.

I say bad manueverabilities, because, honestly, a human-like body with wings wouldn't be great for flying. Also, fluff wise, an adult human is full grown, and an Ancient dragon is fully grown. So, Dragons fly better when small, Humanoids might fly better as infants, but lose precision in it as their body grows (though still retaining the ability, basically.)
    Don't know if that makes sense, but it does to me.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

6. - Top - End - #6

The menueverability reduction isn't due to age. It's due to size, and humans are Medium. But humans aren't built for flying.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
    The menueverability reduction isn't due to age. It's due to size, and humans are Medium. But humans aren't built for flying.
    Yeah, but size is usually controlled by age, in most creatures, so there's also a corrolation there.
    Adult Human = Full Grown
    Ancient Dragon + Full Grown

Humans also start smaller than most dragons (though there are some exceptions), so it could be said that the Gargantuan is our Medium, in a way.

Yeah, told ya it may not make sense.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    Yeah, but size is usually controlled by age, in most creatures, so there's also a corrolation there.
    Adult Human = Full Grown
    Ancient Dragon + Full Grown

Humans also start smaller than most dragons (though there are some exceptions), so it could be said that the Gargantuan is our Medium, in a way.

Yeah, told ya it may not make sense.
    There is a correlation, but if you read the general description for dragons in the MM (or SRD), and look at the part about flying, you'll see that it's explicitly linked to size, and not to age. A dragon can go up an age category and keep the same fly maneuverability, but any time it's size increase it loses maneuverability.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ooh, very nice. Much better than those friggin' spellscales...also, since they're all dragon-y, and have Sorcerer as their favored class, have you considered giving them Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the normal requirements?

[joke] "Whats so special about being dragontouched? Every time I go into the Brass Dorms, I get dragontouched" Miallee, unaware that "dragontouched" has another meaning [/joke]
    Sigil Prep. Yes.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Ooh, very nice. Much better than those friggin' spellscales...also, since they're all dragon-y, and have Sorcerer as their favored class, have you considered giving them Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat, even if they don't meet the normal requirements?
    I dig that idea. Done.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, and to go off topic, remember that idea I had in the martial feats thread? Done.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'd recommend getting rid of Draconic Heritage, as it allows them to qualify for the rest of the Draconic Feats as well, even though they are very Sorcerer related, and could spell trouble for other casters, like Wizards.

Also, if they use the Dragon-blooded racial substitutions (Dragons qualify for them as well) in Races of the Dragon, they get it as a bonus feat their first level of sorcerer (as well as some skill bonuses), in place of a familiar.

Overall, the feat itself doesn't do too much, but it is a gateway feat for more powerful feats they wouldn't normally have access to. I'd strongly recommend against it.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Don't give them Draconic heritage as a bonus feat, instead look into Dragon magic. It has a feat named (appropriately), Dragontouched. Not as game breaking as Draconic heritage, now instead of being able to take many draconic feats, now they can take draconic feats as a sorcerer of their character level. Cheese for the entire party!

Although it might be slightly broken in the long run (now I can get draconic legacy's) it fits slightly better in my opinion.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

You guys realize that the Dragontouched feat allows anyone with any kind of dragon-themed race to get Draconic Heritage and all the draconic feats they want without needing any sorcerer levels, right? I'm not sure how exactly a wizard would break the game with draconic feats in any way that they're not breaking it already, but all Draconic Heritage as a bonus feat does is let them break it slightly faster. (Also note that most of the draconic feats have a sorcerer level prerequisite, so they need both Draconic Heritage and Dragontouched--it doesn't matter which one they get as a bonus feat.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

This is borderline LA +2. Quick analysis...

Ability modifiers: Pretty good modifiers for tank types and Charisma classes. Not heavily optimised for sorcerer (although still nice). Could make a decent bard.

Dragon type: Free immunity to sleep, paralysis, charm person and charm monster spells, plus a ton of other enchantment spells. What's not to like?

darkvision: Pretty standard for most races to have this or lowlight vision.

Racial Skills: fairly ordinary stuff, but it's a bit random.

Breath weapon: Its fairly low damage, short range, and daily. Not really significant in the balance stakes.

Energy resistance: At 10 points, this is a biggie. You can't get this with a feat, ever.

Feats: And a bonus feat. Ok, you can't choose it, but it synergies nicely with your favoured class.
    Last edited by Ashtagon; 2009-11-25 at 12:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Energy resistance: At 10 points, this is a biggie. You can't get this with a feat, ever.
    Some people can. Heritage feats or various Shape Soulmeld options.

Compare this to Aasimar, which isn't exactly an overwhelmingly optimal option for LA +1. It too gets good ability modifiers (even better ones, arguably), good energy resistances (I'd much rather have resist 5 to three types than resist 10 to one), and good skill bonuses (two skills instead of three, but everybody loves Spot and Listen.)

That leaves:

-Weak breath attack vs. Daylight 1/day. Dragontouched win hands down.
    -Dragon type vs. outsider type. Both good types to be; dragon has extra resistances, outsider has extra proficiencies. Outsider opens up more variety in the way of alter self cheese, though.
    -Free bonus feat for dragontouched. It's a feat that dragon-themed sorcerers can sub for their familiar anyhow, though, and it's not terribly useful for anyone who's not a sorcerer.

So, yeah, they're a little bit better than aasimar. I don't think I'd call that anywhere near LA +2. There's also the question: who on earth would even dream of giving up two levels for this race?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gpope View Post
    So, yeah, they're a little bit better than aasimar. I don't think I'd call that anywhere near LA +2. There's also the question: who on earth would even dream of giving up two levels for this race?
    Agreed. At first I was thinking too strong for +1, but then I remembered Aasimar and Tiefling. I agree with Gpope.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

This appeals to the dragon fanboy in me. It seems like a nice, solid LA +1 race.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The only problem with it is that it does open the door to do anything that a dragonwrought kobold can do, or dang near to it. Shenanigans must be dealt with on a DM by DM basis. But yeah, otherwise it's good.

Also, some more fluff is needed I think. And perhaps a different picture; not sure if that fits what the race is supposed to look like. I'd recommend taking a look at the race sections for printed races and reformat to look like that, filling in their headings. What's their life cycle like? Height, weight, ages? Do they age like dragons and hatch from eggs? Are their old folk strong and known as wyrms? Etc etc. Lots of things to fill in for a race. Otherwise, it's just a collection of bonuses and penalties.

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2009-11-25 at 04:34 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

Follow me on Facebook!